General Discussion Triathlon Talk » making road bike more tri-like Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-06 6:44 PM

Subject: making road bike more tri-like
This year is my first year doing triathlons. I have my fifth coming up this weekend. It's my first Olympic Distance. All the others have been sprints with one a "sprint" with a 30 mile bike leg. The road bike I purchased in March is what I have been using for the triathlons. It's a Jamis Ventura Race.

http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applications/JamisBikes/MyJamis/consum...

I added clip-on aero bars and clipless pedals and that's about it. Next year I am planning on doing more Olympic Distance triathlons and at least one Half Ironman. Of course, at every triathlon I'm super jealous of all the cool triathlon bikes. But being that it's my first season of triathlons I feel like I should at least get through next season before upgrading to a true triathlon bike. I do like my current Jamis road bike. It's comfortable and fast (for me anyhow and faster than my older hybrid) and it has been serving me well. I figured for next year I would make some adjustments to my current bike to make it more like a tri bike. I already have clip on aero bars but doing some research I figure there are a few other things I could do and wanted to get some opinions here.

1) Get a seatpost to put me more forward. I was thinking Profile Design Fast Forward Seatpost
2) Get a bike fitting. I would probably have the LBS install the seatpost and have a fitting for my trip/aero position but also have them fit me with the regular seatpost
3) A new saddle. One that I could later move to a trip bike. I'm looking at Adamo Prologue Saddle or Adamo Time Trial Saddle.

Is there anything I am missing or some additional advice you have. I don't want to invest in new wheels just yet so that's out.

2014-11-06 8:32 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: making road bike more tri-like
I think you've got a good handle on what modifications to make in order to make your bike more "tri-like". Rotating around the bottom bracket with a forward-leaning seatpost should get you more power and save your legs for the run, and the better you can get your bike to fit, the more effective this is going to be. A proper bike fit is one of the better investments to make, and while you'll never get an ideal fit when trying to get a tri-bike fit on a road bike, a good fitter should be able to do a few things that will make the best of the situation. I'd be inclined to talk to the fitter first before buying the seatpost - there are a few options with various angles, so it will help to know what you're shooting for before making the purchase.

Riding in the aero position can definitely be a pain in the nether regions, so a new saddle is likely, but I wouldn't worry about that until you know you need it. Very personal choice, though hard to go wrong with Cobb's "try it and if it's not working for you send it back" deal.
2014-11-06 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5065861

Thanks for the advice. The LBS where I plan on being fit has the seat post but I'm definitely going to talk to him/her first and clue them in on my needs and see what their advice is.
2014-11-14 7:12 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

I think you've got a good handle on what modifications to make in order to make your bike more "tri-like". Rotating around the bottom bracket with a forward-leaning seatpost should get you more power and save your legs for the run, and the better you can get your bike to fit, the more effective this is going to be. A proper bike fit is one of the better investments to make, and while you'll never get an ideal fit when trying to get a tri-bike fit on a road bike, a good fitter should be able to do a few things that will make the best of the situation. I'd be inclined to talk to the fitter first before buying the seatpost - there are a few options with various angles, so it will help to know what you're shooting for before making the purchase.

Riding in the aero position can definitely be a pain in the nether regions, so a new saddle is likely, but I wouldn't worry about that until you know you need it. Very personal choice, though hard to go wrong with Cobb's "try it and if it's not working for you send it back" deal.

Now I have a dilemma. Wife has okayed purchased of a triathlon bike which is great but just trying justify in my head that it's okay. Do people tend to have a road bike AND triathlon bike and train with both? I had originally planned on waiting until later next year to upgrade to a triathlon bike but can do it now. I guess I just have to accept her generosity.
2014-11-14 8:16 AM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
It's usually a good idea to strike while the iron is hot in terms of spousal permission for new gear purchases. There are good deals to be had this time of year on bikes with shops blowing out old inventory and triathletes/TTers unloading their used bikes in the offseason. But getting a fitting done before you start looking is recommended - a good fitter can give you a list of bikes that will fit you, and if a bike comes up that you hadn't considered, they're usually cool with you asking "will this work for me?"

I would venture to say the vast majority of people who have a tri bike also have a road bike. Tri bikes are not as practical for riding around in the city or for any kind of group riding. Many situations call for a road bike or hybrid rather than a tri bike. Having said that, I personally only ever train on my tri bike. I don't do group rides, and I live out in the country where the roads are all flat and straight, with no traffic lights and minimal intersections. If I lived in the city things might be different, but I find my tri bike much more comfortable for long rides than my road bike was.
2014-11-14 8:35 AM
in reply to: #5065886

Thanks for the reply. Yeah. I am getting a fitting and the bike I have my eye on is the 2014 cervelo p2

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » making road bike more tri-like Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike Geometry vs. Road Bike

Started by beez89
Views: 2047 Posts: 9

2005-04-20 8:20 AM beez89

What makes a tri bike a tri bike?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1134 Posts: 5

2005-01-13 12:47 PM cobannero

Made the switch to a "new" tri bike

Started by doggrbeats
Views: 1419 Posts: 14

2005-01-10 12:11 PM Steve-

Road bike vs. Tri Bike

Started by gborn1
Views: 1426 Posts: 7

2004-12-30 10:15 PM Rowdy

Road Bike or Tri Bike

Started by Bonyx26
Views: 1672 Posts: 7

2004-12-18 10:12 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 3, 2009
comments : 0
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.