General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's the best Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-04 3:39 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Who's the best
Hi there - my goal for 2015 is to do a tri a tri in June or so and then a Sprint Triathlon in or about August. I have found two main triathlon series - Subaru and MultiSport Canada. Does anyone have advise as to which would b the better choice for a new triathlete 50+?

Thanks in advance

2014-12-04 4:43 PM
in reply to: Egoalie

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Who's the best

Welcome to BT!

The one Multisport Canada race that I did (Barrelman Niagara Falls) was very well run and an excellent race.  I've done some east coast Subaru races but they are all done by different race directors so I'm not sure that you can get much by the series alone.  

Are there particular races you are considering?  That might give you better information to go from.

2014-12-04 8:13 PM

User image

Both MSC and the Subaru series put on good events. I've raced both and at the end of the day there's not a huge difference between the two. My advice is to find a race that looks like it might "float your boat" and go for it.

2014-12-05 10:14 AM
in reply to: naptime

User image

New user

Good advice tank you - I am looking at the Belwood Tri a Tri in July and then attempting the Toronto Island Sprint in Augusrt
2014-12-05 10:57 AM

User image

Oakville

I have raced in both Series and can honestly say that both are well run and both put on a very professional race.

I am personally biased towards MSC as the locations and dates better fit my schedule.

You can't beat MSC's race in Gravenhurst, particularly the Sprint and Olympic distances where you start in the middle of Lake Muskoka after jumping off a steamship.

For the past few years my wife and I have done the MSC "Muskoka circuit" - Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and Bala Falls - and we turn race weekend into a family event.  

If you have young kids, the campground for Santa's Village is only a few minutes drive to the race start and the bike course for all distances runs right by the campground.

Scott

2014-12-06 1:11 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Welcome!  Glad you've found the sport.  

I'd also say to look at the individual races that you find interesting and perhaps ask here if people have experience with them - regardless of who puts them on.  There might even be some one-off local races that you'd love (some of my faves have been real dinky-dink productions, but just had awesome vibes or courses or such).

Enjoy!

Matt

2014-12-06 5:16 PM

User image

I agree with the others, there's not much difference between them. They are both well run and organized. The Subaru series has more long sprints if that's the distance you like. My sense is that Subaru has a touch more personnel running the site and MSC is a touch more friendly but it may just be my perception.
2014-12-08 7:18 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

New user

Thank you everyone
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's the best Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best Recovery methods (what's the best combo for less soreness)

Started by Jyounk
Views: 1102 Posts: 6

2010-03-19 1:14 PM TriAya

Better Riding Shorts or Better Seat?

Started by VolTriathlete
Views: 1376 Posts: 13

2008-10-27 10:02 PM AdventureBear

Who's got good water rescue stories?

Started by cmbcwb3
Views: 1153 Posts: 17

2007-04-26 7:54 AM cmbcwb3

My best just isn't good enough? Pages: 1 2

Started by irondog
Views: 1917 Posts: 26

2007-02-21 4:09 PM irondog

New bike: bad news, good news, bad news, good news

Started by jonathan22
Views: 2013 Posts: 12

2007-02-05 6:33 AM jonathan22
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.

date : October 5, 2007
Discussion on training and weightloss, what to do if the cafeteria has no good food, sweet tooth problems and the importance of nutrient timing.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : July 3, 2006
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.