General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beach to Battleship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-08 9:01 AM

Subject: Beach to Battleship
Hey there!
Im thinking about doing Beach 2 Battleship in October 2015.

Has anyone raced this? How is the swim other than fast? i get really anxious about the water I swim in and want to make sure that it is not disgusting to swim in.

Is doing this as my first iron distance a good idea? I am a broke 20 year old and can not afford the $700 ironman asks for. (I cant afford this either but giving up a few weekends of beer wont do any harm)

I train in a hilly area and want to know how that will affect me on the bike?

Other than being called an ironman, what do you get from this race? Pre-race and Post-race?

Any other information or details?

2014-12-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Beach to Battleship
It's a great race...

I could go on about why I've had great experiences the times I've raced there, but I'll stick to trying to answer a couple of your specific questions.

Most years, there's a current that makes for a fast swim. The course is a point-to-point in an inlet off the Atlantic, so it's saltwater(good for buoyancy) but not brackish. You don't have a lot of visibility beyond the length of your arm, so I wouldn't describe it as crystal clear BUT it's not gross or dirty, either.

I don't think riding in the hills does anything but make your stronger, so I wouldn't worry about B2B's bike course being flat. There are some noticeable false flats and usually there's wind.

So, the question is, good first timer race or no? In my opinion, the answer is definitely yes. The event lacks nothing except the chance to punch your ticket to Kona. Between the people doing the half and the full, there are enough racers on the course to keep you from getting lonely(finishers past maybe the 15 hour mark might have a different take).

Over the years, a good number of people on BT have written race reports - no better way to get a feel for a race.

Good luck with your training...
2014-12-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beach to Battleship

Originally posted by TheOnlyGoalieHere Hey there! Im thinking about doing Beach 2 Battleship in October 2015.

Has anyone raced this?

Did this 6 weeks ago.  It was my 3rd iron-distance race.  

How is the swim other than fast? i get really anxious about the water I swim in and want to make sure that it is not disgusting to swim in.

Fast!  Start is on a sandy beach at the end of Wrightsville Beach.  End is climbing onto the dock at the marina.  In between, the current pushes you along in the green, murky, water.  Not much seaweed.  There aren't a lot of bouys, but a nearly continuous flotilla of boats full of people watching you swim.  I think we had about 700 people in the water and I was able to swim in clear water (i.e. not right on top of or pushed into other people).  Water temps are around 70F and wetsuits are mandatory.  With the constant tidal flow, the water doesn't stagnate and there wasn't a noticeable film of oil on top.    

Is doing this as my first iron distance a good idea?

As much as doing any iron-distance race is a "good idea..."  

I am a broke 20 year old and can not afford the $700 ironman asks for. (I cant afford this either but giving up a few weekends of beer wont do any harm)

hehehe...race entry fees are only a part of the expense...Travel, training (for training rides, I paid for two organized events and did a third 100-mile point-to-point ride with friends), nutrition, etc. Expect to give up beer for a few more weekends.  (pssst...all of this would be far cheaper than an underage drinking ticket.)  Doubtful you could do any other iron-distance race for less than you'll do B2B.  

I train in a hilly area and want to know how that will affect me on the bike?

Training on hills will be different.  The big differences between training on hills and racing on a relatively flat course is that you don't get the chance to ride for hours in an aero position.  

Other than being called an ironman, what do you get from this race? Pre-race and Post-race? Any other information or details?

Focus on the race.  It is a good race.  I didn't do the pre-race dinner or post-race banquet.  It was well organized and supported.  Finish area food could have been better (I skipped it, nothing was appealing, and we walked a few blocks to get a big burger and since I'm old enough to drink, a beer.)  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beach to Battleship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BEACH TO BATTLESHIP (B2B) FULL IRONMAN

Started by maher025
Views: 4457 Posts: 21

2010-03-15 2:23 PM Coldfire

Beach to Battleship 2010

Started by Rencor
Views: 2722 Posts: 2

2009-11-10 11:18 PM rottieguy

Beach 2 Battleship Watching Thread

Started by katimomma
Views: 2462 Posts: 21

2008-11-02 7:39 PM run4yrlif

BT Beach-2-Battleship thread

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 1694 Posts: 24

2008-10-30 2:58 PM ejc999

Beach to Battleship IM - Wilmington, NC

Started by katimomma
Views: 1033 Posts: 8

2007-08-31 2:18 PM katimomma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.