BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-02-16 5:49 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/8/2015 Check-In
Thanks Scott for your reply about target HR zones for my upcoming HM. You did confirm what I thought about starting in low zone 3 & hopefully working my way up, according to how I feel.
At least the weather forecast for race day is for a bit warmer than our current sub-zero temps, but it's also calling for snow. The course is right along the northern shore of a good-sized lake, so if the wind is from the south it'll be pretty windy too.
I had a last 8-mile run scheduled for yesterday, with 2 miles at HM pace, and I really wanted to do this--until I stepped outside into 25-30 mph winds! I may be crazy but I'm not stupid; I looked at my schedule & decided to swap it out with a shorter (5-mile) tempo run that I could do on the treadmill. Hopefully I can do the longer run midweek.
I always get anxious about races, but I'm sure I'll be fine.
To everyone else: Scott I--sorry you're sick. Take it easy please!
Dan--too bad about your gout & your mountains of snow. Both will pass.
Stu--you're like me, run in the winter & triathlon in summer. Just enjoy your HM in Florida & be glad to be out of the cold. My knees & legs have benefited terrifically from following strengthriunning.com's core & ITB rehab routines.
Dave: I hear you about this winter. A bit too much of a good thing. BTW I'm leaning strongly towards doing that Sept 15 tri in CT. Something new & different--salt water!
Chris: Remember nutrition is the 4th discipline of multi-sport. You can't be casual about it. For myself, I use several Hammer products: immediately after a workout, their Recoverite drink and/or half a Recovery bar. For long runs, their Perpetuem drink and for long bikes Perpetuem solids.
Have a good week everyone!
Deb

2015-02-16 5:49 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/8/2015 Check-In
Thanks Scott for your reply about target HR zones for my upcoming HM. You did confirm what I thought about starting in low zone 3 & hopefully working my way up, according to how I feel.
At least the weather forecast for race day is for a bit warmer than our current sub-zero temps, but it's also calling for snow. The course is right along the northern shore of a good-sized lake, so if the wind is from the south it'll be pretty windy too.
I had a last 8-mile run scheduled for yesterday, with 2 miles at HM pace, and I really wanted to do this--until I stepped outside into 25-30 mph winds! I may be crazy but I'm not stupid; I looked at my schedule & decided to swap it out with a shorter (5-mile) tempo run that I could do on the treadmill. Hopefully I can do the longer run midweek.
I always get anxious about races, but I'm sure I'll be fine.
To everyone else: Scott I--sorry you're sick. Take it easy please!
Dan--too bad about your gout & your mountains of snow. Both will pass.
Stu--you're like me, run in the winter & triathlon in summer. Just enjoy your HM in Florida & be glad to be out of the cold. My knees & legs have benefited terrifically from following strengthriunning.com's core & ITB rehab routines.
Dave: I hear you about this winter. A bit too much of a good thing. BTW I'm leaning strongly towards doing that Sept 15 tri in CT. Something new & different--salt water!
Chris: Remember nutrition is the 4th discipline of multi-sport. You can't be casual about it. For myself, I use several Hammer products: immediately after a workout, their Recoverite drink and/or half a Recovery bar. For long runs, their Perpetuem drink and for long bikes Perpetuem solids.
Have a good week everyone!
Deb
2015-02-16 6:55 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/15/2015 Check-In

Weight Loss - 1.1 pound

Workout - 263.7 minutes

2015-02-16 9:55 PM
in reply to: #5093331

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED
Hello all
After my amazing bike ride Friday and short run, I hit the pool today on a nice overcast snowy day.

I ended up with 32 total laps. My goal was to swim a 500 without stopping just see if I had any swim fitness rebuild. I rested after 100 or 200 before and after the 500 main set.

I noticed as I was trying to have higher elbows, and a complete follow-thru that a few laps it would feel great and others I seem to lose all technique. My first laps were faster 1:10 or better/50 but as I continued to swim the times fell back to routine 1:20+/50 .. and I noticed my neck is stiff.

Planning pool again Wednesday. . No solid running as my ankle was very angry on Saturday after Friday's workouts.
2015-02-16 11:36 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Subject: TrainerRoad FTP Test
I did my second TrainerRoad FTP test today. An 8-minute test (two 8-minute time trials). My FTP went up by 9% and, because my weight has dropped, my FTP/Kg went up by nearly 13%. It's nice to see some measurable improvement from all the hard work.

I'm starting the Traditional Base II (low volume) training plan (4 weeks). Following that will be Traditional Base III (4 weeks) and Sustained Power Build (8 weeks). If I continue to get the improvements I've seen so far, it is well worth the time and money spent!

Scott I.
2015-02-17 6:09 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Here are the current points for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

WOW!  Some impressive workout totals last week - especially given that it is still early in what is typically a base phase.  Good job everyone!

(0215_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0215_weightloss_workout.jpg (65KB - 2 downloads)

2015-02-17 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Dang late to the party once again!

Bad week for me, but the foot is feeling much better and i'm ready to get back to it.

gained 3 pounds in my weeks off
only 84 mins training last week

total -0.2 points
2015-02-17 6:52 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
We should really give Dan, Dave, Deb and others in the Northeast double points for any outdoor training. Egad... what a mess - the pictures from Boston and Providence are crazy. Be careful out there, NE grays...

Stu
2015-02-17 7:04 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Training Plans

Hey Everyone -

Looking at the workout totals from last week got me wondering.  Where is everyone at in their training plan/cycle?  Are you still training to train or maybe you are in the base phase?  Are you beginning to think about the build phase?  Do you know how to tell when it is time to move from one phase to the other?  Do you have your 'A' race picked out?  Have you entered your 'A' race yet?

Have you thought about distance vs. duration in your training?  Does it matter?  Consider this:  Two cyclists, both riding the 90km/56mile bike leg of a 70.3 triathlon, one of them in 3:45, the other in 2:54.  Those two cyclists did not ride the same race!  Yes, they went the same distance, but their intensities were quite a bit different - so it wasn't the same race for the two athletes and they needed to prepare differently!  This applies to all three disciplines, not just the bike.  So I ask again, are you training for the duration or are you training for the distance?

I know, a lot of questions.  A common short-coming of age group athletes is that they wake up in the morning and think, "Well, today I think I will go for a run."  In short, they don't really have any type of training plan.  For some, that is more than OK as they are doing this to have fun and maybe get into a bit better shape physically.  For others that are hoping to compete, not having a plan is a shortcut to disappointment on race day.  So just wondering, do you have a plan and if so, where are you in your plan?

2015-02-17 7:07 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey Dan!  At least you got here!  I wasn't sure we were going to see you again until Spring with all the snow you're getting up there.

(0215_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0215_weightloss_workout.jpg (65KB - 3 downloads)
2015-02-17 7:34 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by mtsnorider

I hit the pool today on a nice overcast snowy day. I ended up with 32 total laps. My goal was to swim a 500 without stopping just see if I had any swim fitness rebuild. I rested after 100 or 200 before and after the 500 main set.

I noticed as I was trying to have higher elbows, and a complete follow-thru that a few laps it would feel great and others I seem to lose all technique. My first laps were faster 1:10 or better/50 but as I continued to swim the times fell back to routine 1:20+/50 .. and I noticed my neck is stiff.

Hi Tammy -

1,600 yards is a respectable workout for the first time back in the water after a bit of a break!

The different technique is going to feel awkward at first, and it is going to require a good deal of focus or the technique will break down - we are trying to change something you have done for years so it will take some time.  You will know you are getting there when you don't have to actively think about it to maintain proper form.  You saw an improvement - 10 to 15 seconds per 100 is great for the first time out.  Wait until the new technique becomes second nature!  Also, the new technique is going to challenge new muscles so you will need to rebuild fitness a little bit.  As to your neck being stiff, you might want to look at your head position.  If you are trying to hold your head a bit too high, you will get a stiff/sore neck.  Remember you need a fairly significant amount of body rotation to get the high elbow during recovery.  Body rotation is much easier to accomplish if your head is lower.  As a general guide, the waterline should be at about your hairline.

Stick with it, you're doing great!

2015-02-17 7:41 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: TrainerRoad FTP Test

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I did my second TrainerRoad FTP test today. An 8-minute test (two 8-minute time trials). My FTP went up by 9% and, because my weight has dropped, my FTP/Kg went up by nearly 13%. It's nice to see some measurable improvement from all the hard work.

I'm starting the Traditional Base II (low volume) training plan (4 weeks). Following that will be Traditional Base III (4 weeks) and Sustained Power Build (8 weeks). If I continue to get the improvements I've seen so far, it is well worth the time and money spent! Scott I.

Congratulations!

Isn't it nice to KNOW  that you are improving because you can objectively see the difference in power numbers verses training subjectively and "thinking" you are improving?

I guess hanging that email on your bathroom mirror is having the desired effect!  Good job!

2015-02-17 6:24 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by juneapple

We should really give Dan, Dave, Deb and others in the Northeast double points for any outdoor training. Egad... what a mess - the pictures from Boston and Providence are crazy. Be careful out there, NE grays...

Stu

Thanks Stu, it's not really the snow that gets me its the frigid temps that are getting old, had a short run Saturday morning and my eyelids were frosted over.
I spent about 4 hours clearing snow Sunday after our latest 18 inches. I broke down and joined a gym so I can hit the treadmill and get some consistency to my training, of course that means the snow will stop and the temps will get to a balmy 20 and all will be good.

I'm jealous of those of you that can ride outside this time of year! I sure hope we have a decent spring!
2015-02-17 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Dan!  At least you got here!  I wasn't sure we were going to see you again until Spring with all the snow you're getting up there.

Thanks for understanding Scott! The snow is definitely getting a little hard to move, there is no where to put it anymore and now it's time to start clearing the roof before we get any warm weather, if we get any warm weather?
2015-02-17 8:40 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mountaindan

The snow is definitely getting a little hard to move, there is no where to put it anymore and now it's time to start clearing the roof before we get any warm weather, if we get any warm weather?

So would it be inappropriate for me to tell you it was 80 degrees here and I was in shorts all day?  That said, I miss the seasons and the snow.

2015-02-17 9:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I miss snow! I love snowy winter runs as they are some of my favorites. In a way I am jealous of the Northeast as we are usually buried or hope to be....keeps away smoky summers.

Although my bike ride outside last week was amazing! Keep it up!

As for training - since I pulled the plug on my 70.3 I am continuing to work out with my ladies and for the most part of my involvement, is duration based unless I happen to join a specific workout for speed, etc. We have 2 training for 70.3 and one her 2nd go at IMCDA. Beginning Friday I will be joining in a series of bricks.... here's hoping the ankle holds up.   I have not selected another A - triathlon but did register for a fun sprint.

Thanks Scott... I figured my head position was out of whack - tomorrow when we are swimming I will work more on elbows and head position.  I think my crew is in an endurance/speed day so it will be fun to do some of their drills with them while also working on form.  It is nice because they know I am working on form, and they are not shy about telling me when I am swimming flat.

Great job training everyone!

Edited by mtsnorider 2015-02-17 9:53 PM

2015-02-17 9:57 PM

User image

I was just wondering if any of you trail run?  

I know last year we did trails all winter long and I know I am a much stronger runner when I run trails...

After my 30k trail run a couple years ago, I had one my best road races ever.  I was amazed at how much stronger I was on the pavement with all of the trails under my belt.

I would love to hear if you are incorporating them into your training.

2015-02-18 9:09 AM

User image

Tammy - WOW! Good for you on the 30K! I did some trail running last year and I must admit that I found it very physically challenging. I especially felt the pounding going down hill in my knees and decided to put it on the back burner for now. One of these years I would like to do a 50K trail run but I am not sure my body can take it.

I do have a general question for the group. i just started working with a trainer and my legs are DEAD after my workouts. I know it will get me stronger but this beginning period is killing my other workouts. How do you balance strength training and triathlon training?

Have a great day!

Donna
2015-02-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Deb Made the BIG Time!

Hey Deb,

Back when you asked the question about your half-marathon pacing I noticed you also posted the question to the moderators to possibly be answered in a coaching article.

Don't know if you have seen it yet, but they answered your question!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2121

2015-02-18 5:21 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Training Plans
Hi Scott,

Good questions!

Looking at the workout totals from last week got me wondering.  Where is everyone at in their training plan/cycle?  Are you still training to train or maybe you are in the base phase?  Are you beginning to think about the build phase?  Do you know how to tell when it is time to move from one phase to the other?  Do you have your 'A' race picked out?  Have you entered your 'A' race yet?

I have two A races planned: ChelanMan Olympic distance in July and the Black Diamond long course (HIM distance) in September. I'm not certain I'll be ready for an HIM distance race by September, but that is my current plan.

Based on the ChelanMan date, I'm in the base phase of training. As I already mentioned, I've just started the TrainerRoad Traditional Base II on the cycle. In the run, I'm doing a lot of long-slow aerobic endurance runs where I'm slowly ramping up the distance and volume (currently at 15 miles and 2.5 hrs per week). In swimming, I'm doing my best to fit aerobic endurance swims (slower than STP) into the Master's workouts. I'm loosely following the BT "Olympic - 3x Balanced - 20 Week" training plan with a little more swimming volume than it prescribes.

Have you thought about distance vs. duration in your training?  Does it matter?  Consider this:  Two cyclists, both riding the 90km/56mile bike leg of a 70.3 triathlon, one of them in 3:45, the other in 2:54.  Those two cyclists did not ride the same race!  Yes, they went the same distance, but their intensities were quite a bit different - so it wasn't the same race for the two athletes and they needed to prepare differently!  This applies to all three disciplines, not just the bike.  So I ask again, are you training for the duration or are you training for the distance?

I'm not sure how to answer this. I'm certainly aware of distance - especially in the run. I'm still building strength and endurance in my legs after my calf injury last spring. Right now I'm comfortable with 5 miles (shorter run of the week) but struggle a bit with muscle issues as I approach 10K. That said, the BT training plan is purely volume (duration) based. I've just gotten to the stage where my long run of the week ends up being well over 10K. I've had to reduce my pace a bit on the long run to avoid muscle strains.

Is this what you were asking?

Thanks!
Scott I.
2015-02-18 6:43 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Hey Everyone -

I know, a lot of questions.  A common short-coming of age group athletes is that they wake up in the morning and think, "Well, today I think I will go for a run."  In short, they don't really have any type of training plan.  For some, that is more than OK as they are doing this to have fun and maybe get into a bit better shape physically.  For others that are hoping to compete, not having a plan is a shortcut to disappointment on race day.  So just wondering, do you have a plan and if so, where are you in your plan?

Scott, I really like the way you keep challenging us (this group) to think about what we are doing, and maybe to share.
My big A race for this season is my 1st Olympic distance in early August. I have loaded the BT Olympic Basic 12-week HR based plan, which of course I won't start on til May.
I am also doing a very challenging Duathlon on May 9. I am sort of treating it as an A race, although I'm taking a 10-day vacation in early March which doesn't have much swimming/cycling opportunity ( but there could be plenty of running.) If you add up the RBRBR distances, there are 21 miles of cycling and 5.1 miles of running. Since that is almost an Olympic without the swimming, I'll start the same Olympic plan right after my HM. Basically I'll be cutting back my running volume drastically, increasing the cycling workouts from 2 per week to 4, and swimming only twice/week until May, at 2000-2500 yards per workout. Although I'm reducing my running, I do not plan to reduce the core and hip strengthening workouts I have learned to do immediately following my runs. Although somewhat hellish, they seem to be helping keep my legs & knees sound. Also I've been doing the strength program from the Triathletes Training Bible, and I'll keep that up 2x/week.
There are other races along the way, a 10k, Sprint Tri, 5k, but they're not A races; I'll just train through them.
I would say I'm in the base phase of all the disciplines. I do wish the BT plans would indicate where they are moving to the build phases, but they don't. I have to assume they are doing that, I hope I'm not wrong. (BTW, for swimming, I look at their workouts and just change all the drills & toy usage to swimming.) I did have great success with the HR based BT plan I used last year, and I kind of like following a recipe. I hope this one works as well for me. It does seem a bit hodge-podge to start the same plan over again after the first A race. Maybe by then i'll figure out something else.
I would be very curious to hear what plans other people are following.
Deb

2015-02-18 8:01 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Deb - Great to hear that you're thinking of coming to Ct to do the Hammerfest in Branford in Sept. I expect to be there with a few people from my local tri club. Will be fun to meet up.

Scott - Regarding your question about where we are in training and what we're training for: I'm currently in week 10 of a 12 week challenge issued by my trainer. The focus has been twofold - to lose weight and to build my run fitness back after last season's calf injury. At this point I'm down 10lbs and my runs have progressed nicely. (4 mile tempo run in 31:20 this am) As far as base/build: I'm still in base phase, working on swim technique and have signed up for 4 lessons with a swim coach. I also bought a bike trainer and have started to put some miles on at home. "Enjoying" my introduction to the Sufferfest videos.

Two "A" races planned - The Litchfield Hills Olympic tri in July, which will be my first at that distance. I'm also considering the Timberman 70.3 in August, but haven't committed yet. I really want to see how I feel after a month or so of outdoor training before I take such a big step. Finally a few sprint distance tri's, some 5k/10k runs and my favorite, the Litchfield Hills Road Race, a 7.1 mile torture test.

As far as training plans, I'm thinking that I'll start an Olympic distance plan in late March, so that I can make a mid April decision on whether to ramp up to the 70.3 training distances. Of course, if the snow doesn't melt soon, I may ditch all these plans and take up ping pong.

And as Deb said, thanks for posting this question. I'm always wondering if I'm approaching this the right way, since many folks in my tri club seem to take a fairly unstructured approach to training. I'm learning quite a bit from my fellow Grays and really appreciate all the posts and feedback.

Dave

2015-02-18 8:33 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

it is fun to see everyone's plans... 

Swam today with my ladies...  I swam another 1600 and rested after each 100 until lap 16 and then did the last 4 laps constant to 20.   From 20-26 rested a bit every 50... then did the last laps as a cool down.   Good news - my time on Monday was 42 minutes for same distance - today was 37 minutes.   One thing I did notice after my rest my first 50 was faster than second 50 but only by a few seconds.   I felt so much better today no stiff neck, nothing.  Some laps felt better than others but the consistency is coming.  My friend noticed I still cross over my front a bit but I can tell my form is improving...  Pool time again on Saturday an d hoping it isn't a fluke and will have similar results.

I will be on my bike for 3 days straight Friday-Sunday with a swim or run combinations with it... Hoping for a nice weekend to get outside.

I will lose the 5 extra pounds of baggage I found while on workout hiatus the last several weeks.

Great job everyone!

2015-02-18 9:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

My 2015 training plan is based on Gale Bernhardt's 26 week full distance training plan.  But, I modified it to allow myself to peak for three races:

Oliver 1km/54km/10km June 7th (essentially a long Oly - the Oli Oly).  Should be a lot of fun.

ChelanMan Half July 18th.  A bit apprehensive about the heat and bike route.

Challenge Penticton full distance race August 30th.  Hard to imagine being out there for 15+ hours.  I'm confident I can do the swim and bike I just need to work (a lot) on my running.

The Oly and Half are important to me but they are part of the build up to the Challenge race.  

What I did in setting up my plans for 2015 is worked back from August 30th to the ChelanMan and then started over again back to the Oliver race and then back to the beginning of Bernhardt's plan.  I've incorporated my "Swim Fit" coached swim sessions M/W/F and my coached cycling sessions T/Th/Sat.  The cycling ends March 14th and we are ramping up the Saturday sessions from 1.5 hours to 2 hours, 2.5 hours and finishing at 3 hours on March 14th then we hope to be able to move outdoors.

I train with a 66 yr old marathoner (from Utah) and we decided today we should get together next week and review our plans for the next 6 months to make sure we don't peak too soon and specifically so we peak for the full distance race in August.  We have followed Bernhardt's plans for two seasons (2015 will be the third year). 

2015-02-18 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by mtsnorider

I was just wondering if any of you trail run?  

I know last year we did trails all winter long and I know I am a much stronger runner when I run trails...

After my 30k trail run a couple years ago, I had one my best road races ever.  I was amazed at how much stronger I was on the pavement with all of the trails under my belt.

I would love to hear if you are incorporating them into your training.

I do quite a bit of trail running.  All of my fall/winter races are trail runs - my next one is a 15k on the 28th.  And a lot of my long runs are done on the trails when conditions are good.  I find it much more enjoyable to run on a trail and my legs seem to enjoy it more too - I seem to have an easier recovery than when I'm pounding pavement.  I have found that I feel stronger on those occasions when I do a regular road race, too - maybe because most of the trails I run are hilly so I get some good hill training in out on the trails.

Janet

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open