BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-05-28 6:12 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Afternoon everyone!

Trisuit came in today, was really worried it wasn't going to get here in time, and it fits great! Although it does make my lats look gigantic, maybe that combined with some lat slaps before the swim lets off will be a nice bit of psychological warfare

Prerace nutrition is going great, been hitting about 750-800 carbs per day since since Tuesday, which is right where I need to be. Hydration levels look to be great already, so that's a plus. Getting everything prepped and situated before Saturday so I can just come home and relax for a few hours after work before I leave for the race.

Just want Sunday to be here already! Lol

2015-05-28 6:24 PM
in reply to: #5118646

User image

, Vermont
Go Devon!!! It sounds like you are getting everything ready and you are mentally prepared!! Rock it this weekend!!! I can't wait to hear how everything goes!!! Be strong!!
2015-05-28 11:02 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Races I'm afraid that my eyes may be bigger than my heart, but right now here are the plans for the year:

5K - August (For fun)
10K - September (For fun)
10 Miler - March (Completed)
Half Marathon - April (Completed)
2nd Half Marathon - Early November
Full Marathon - Mid November
Sprint Tri - June 7th
Oly Tri - August

That looks like the cardio equivalent of hitting for the cycle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_for_the_cycle
Unless I bring a HIM or IM into my repertoire this is pretty much the most I would expect to do in a year.

Help! Experts
If I'm going to do that Oly though I will need to figure out my new swimming problem. I've been going swimming since January and I've put in some good swims. I don't know what I did, but I am having tremendous trouble going my distances now. I've had to sprinkle in laps with resting strokes where I didn't in the past. This bothers me when I was able to go longer distances just a few weeks ago. The only thing I can think is that this is air based. I haven't changed my breathing, but boy am I having a problem now. So now to the question: I need to get back to where I was, would I be smarter to focus on intervals or long swims to try to get it back?

2015-05-29 7:45 AM
in reply to: #5118818

User image

, Vermont
Dave O, I'm listening for responses, I think I know what you're going through. I was thinking I needed a break but not sure. I feel really taxed in the water all of a sudden - not sure why. I'm curious to hear what others chime in with.

I have another question for the group. Last Thursday right before camping I had a 2.5 hour bike ride planned, it was going well and I had my fall cutting it short. This weekend there is no real bike planned and only one during the week which I did on the trainer for small ring interval work. It's mainly a swim TT this weekend.....should I squirrel in another 2.5 hour ride?? Next weekend or the weekend after is my 3 hour ride. I know the general rule is to just press on with the plan but I feel like I missed a good day here. I could knock it out tomorrow morning and maybe do my swim TT early Sunday morning. This week hasn't had a lot of meat to it - I'll have to check if it's a taper week, but I don't think it is...I'm about 4 weeks out now from my race (Saturday, June 26).
What say you?

2015-05-29 2:48 PM

User image

Jenn, what distance is your race?

Sandi
2015-05-29 2:51 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Originally posted by thor67
?

Yup, I am pretty much a 85-90 cadence as much as possible. With my setup, the only time I go to the small ring is on the hills.

I would also try find some group rides...help push your speed.

Thor, is there a "suggested" cadence? I've not trained that way and it sounds like it would be beneficial. Until now I've just focused on increasing my speed through strength/conditioning/ladders, but in thinking about it cadence sounds like a way better training method.

Sandi

2015-05-29 5:01 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

DeLand, Florida
Yay! All caught up. Miss a week and a half again, miss 75 new posts again

Going to get my training log updated, I just have to check my run app (it's on my old phone - don't ask) so I know which days I did runs on vaca. The others I swam, with rest one day and rest on my travel day home. Got one OWS in the Caribbean, didn't even go 100 yards before deciding I hated it... Wasn't the waves, it was a calm day. Just panic'd a bit I guess, which I suppose is normal. Wasn't by any stretch a full blown panic attack so I'm happy for that! It was really nice having my wife the swimmer's full undivided attention for most of my swims - free coaching! Totally fixed my breast stroke kick problem (was hurting my hips and so I abandoned it), worked on rotary breathing with sighting mixed in... And determined that my current swim plan of 'crawl stroke as long as I can then switch to breast to finish' will totally work, I went 500 yards that way and only stopped because the wife and child were leaving me for lunch

Devon - go kick some a$$ this weekend!!

Christina - so sorry about the pinky! The only (small) bright side I can think of is that it made your decision for you, on races during all the weddings you've got going on. You can always look for an indoor tri over the winter.

Sandi - I was about >
Happy weekend all. I'm off to swim!
2015-05-29 5:11 PM
in reply to: 0

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Woke up this morning to find my cheapo training sunglasses had become a nighttime snack for one of the dogs...neither will fess up to who did it, and they both look equally guilty..

Decided it was time to finally get a nice pair of glasses. Went to the local Oakley store and bought a pair of Radar EV's with the Prizm Road lens. Lens is supposed to be made specifically for cycling and road running. Haven't got to ride or anything with them yet, but just driving in the car they were fantastic.

Decided on a pretty outrageous color too...

Got a free gift with purchase, which turns out to be a cycling kit, including a tire lever/multitool combo, and this keg thing that is made by specialized, I'm guessing it is a container to hold tools and tube but will fit in a water bottle cage? Creative none the less.

Edited by GeauxHard 2015-05-29 5:12 PM
2015-05-29 7:39 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Hi Dave!
Can you get one of your kids to shoot a phone video? Then you could look at foot angle. I got a lot faster when I started going for 90rpm. I backed off resistance to do it- but then after I got used to it I started adding a little bit back in. Do you know what cadence you usually pedal at?

Hmmm. I have no clue what my cadence is... Guess it's time for me to start counting. What's the benefit to peddling at 90 rpm?... I've heard that before and I assume its the sweet spot between speed vs resistance...

I will have the kids videotape the start of my ride tomorrow.
2015-05-29 7:42 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Expert
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Afternoon everyone!

Trisuit came in today, was really worried it wasn't going to get here in time, and it fits great! Although it does make my lats look gigantic, maybe that combined with some lat slaps before the swim lets off will be a nice bit of psychological warfare

Prerace nutrition is going great, been hitting about 750-800 carbs per day since since Tuesday, which is right where I need to be. Hydration levels look to be great already, so that's a plus. Getting everything prepped and situated before Saturday so I can just come home and relax for a few hours after work before I leave for the race.

Just want Sunday to be here already! Lol

Good job locking it down for the race and good luck on Sunday!
2015-05-29 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Dave O, I'm listening for responses, I think I know what you're going through. I was thinking I needed a break but not sure. I feel really taxed in the water all of a sudden - not sure why. I'm curious to hear what others chime in with.

I have another question for the group. Last Thursday right before camping I had a 2.5 hour bike ride planned, it was going well and I had my fall cutting it short. This weekend there is no real bike planned and only one during the week which I did on the trainer for small ring interval work. It's mainly a swim TT this weekend.....should I squirrel in another 2.5 hour ride?? Next weekend or the weekend after is my 3 hour ride. I know the general rule is to just press on with the plan but I feel like I missed a good day here. I could knock it out tomorrow morning and maybe do my swim TT early Sunday morning. This week hasn't had a lot of meat to it - I'll have to check if it's a taper week, but I don't think it is...I'm about 4 weeks out now from my race (Saturday, June 26).
What say you?

I would say it depends on how you are feeling. If you are feeling good - it might make your stronger and give you more confidence - especially if you are about to start your taper. However - if you're sore, I would say to skip it. With the race so close, you don't want to get injured and then miss those key rides before your taper starts.

2015-05-29 8:03 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
I'm pretty stoked! I missed my last swim workout due to family obligations - so I decided to push today's workout which called for 1500 (my previous long during this round of training was 1250) and swim a mile. When I hopped in the water - I just felt so good. I swam the first few 100's close to 2:05 (I usually do 100's in 2:15) and so I decided to see how hard I could go. The longer I went the stronger I felt. I kept peeking at my watch as my average time edged closer to 2:00. With 500 yds to go, I stopped looking and just focused on finishing strong. I hit the mile mark at 35:33. So, I'm stoked for 2 reasons - 1) It was my best workout (swim bike or run) since IMMT and 2) I broke my mile PR by almost 4 minutes. Boom!
2015-05-29 8:27 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by Moonrocket Hi Dave! Can you get one of your kids to shoot a phone video? Then you could look at foot angle. I got a lot faster when I started going for 90rpm. I backed off resistance to do it- but then after I got used to it I started adding a little bit back in. Do you know what cadence you usually pedal at?
Hmmm. I have no clue what my cadence is... Guess it's time for me to start counting. What's the benefit to peddling at 90 rpm?... I've heard that before and I assume its the sweet spot between speed vs resistance... I will have the kids videotape the start of my ride tomorrow.

Research has shown that higher cadence decreases lactate buildup for the same effort. 85-95 is the ideal range apparently. There is other research however that suggests that self selected cadence is the best, so whatever you naturally would ride at.

Many triathletes will spin a really high gear during the bike legs, upwards of 110rpm, the theory being that it limits your muscular output so your legs aren't as tired for the run. I run a fairly high cadence. Usually in the 90-100 range. I can hit 200rpm in a seated track sprint. There are also tactical reasons to spin higher or lower gears. In a draft legal race, it can be better to push a harder gear. This allows you to do 'micro-recoveries'. Basically you push the crank two or three hard revolutions and then coast for a second or two. In races with really fast paces, this, in conjunction with drafting, will allow weaker riders to hang onto the group. 

As a general rule, and for the sake of your knees, try to keep your rpms above 80 at least. Otherwise do whatever is most comfortable. Practice higher cadence pedalling though. You might find after awhile that you prefer a higher cadence once you get used to it.  Do 30s-1min drills where you spin faster in an easier gear. For some, 100rpm might be a stretch while others may get up to 150-160rpm. This will help develop leg speed and pedal stroke. 

2015-05-30 3:48 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

New user
Madrid
Alan - you're an open book!

Dave - great workout, getting back on the mood...

Davon - very 'pro' looking glassess.... have fun tomorrow, I will be racing as well, will post pics, can´t wait for tomorrow 9am (tempt is going to be in the 30's C)
2015-05-30 6:50 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Go Juan and Devon!!!! Good luck, we will be cheering for you!!!! Have fun!!
2015-05-30 7:42 AM
in reply to: #5119098

User image

DeLand, Florida
Dave - congrats on the PR swim!

Juan - you're racing this weekend too? Go get em!

2015-05-30 8:21 AM

User image

Devon - let us know how the race goes

Dave - I think Alan covered it. I would add that a higher bike cadence will also help you keep your run cadence up. I get off the bike and run around 170-180 when my normal run is 160-170.

Did the torch run for the special olyp Thursday. My team does the long leg which was 11ish miles. It is a formation run so we are bound by the slowest guy. I tried to keep my cadence up where it should be but my strides were none existent. Have an hour run today. Tomorrow we are tactical response for the event that started my journey into tri. Raleigh 70.3. I have a friend running it so I am going to see him off for the swim, he is borrowing my wetsuit and this is his first ever tri.

Edit: Did most of my run. packed it in around 50 min. Was getting chills and feeling like I may throw up. I am going to have to start staging water now that the heat and sun are getting stronger. Can't go more than 3 miles without water in the summer like I can in the winter.

Edited by b2b14 2015-05-30 10:25 AM
2015-05-30 4:00 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in You gotta love it when a plan comes together. My son had his very first Saturday detention today. He brought his cell phone to class twice and left it in his backpack. Some doofus texted him in the middle of the day and it wasn't silent. I was that doofus BTW. So get this: his school is right near the park where my planned August triathlon is held. I decided that I would do the sprint B/R course brick while he was in school. I dropped him off....head to the park and I see signs for a triathlon tomorrow. So either the shoulder of the road is ALWAYS that perfect or they cleaned it for the triathlon and therefore...for me too. I did the workout and got back to the school just as detention ended. So here are my thoughts on the B/R brick: The course wasn't as confusing as it appeared, I'm much more comfortable with both now. The Oly is pretty much just double the sprint course, so I'm good there too. The bike course isn't too bad, it has rolling hills, but nothing too crazy. The run was nicely shaded. My only problem: my sit bones are SCREAMING at me right now. This isn't my first outside ride, but obviously it was the first one with lots of road bumps. I think i'm gonna ice my butt.

I also did this in the same gear I'll use, except I'm saving the BDAS shirt for the real race. This was a good gear test too.
2015-05-30 8:19 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by Moonrocket Hi Dave! Can you get one of your kids to shoot a phone video? Then you could look at foot angle. I got a lot faster when I started going for 90rpm. I backed off resistance to do it- but then after I got used to it I started adding a little bit back in. Do you know what cadence you usually pedal at?
Hmmm. I have no clue what my cadence is... Guess it's time for me to start counting. What's the benefit to peddling at 90 rpm?... I've heard that before and I assume its the sweet spot between speed vs resistance... I will have the kids videotape the start of my ride tomorrow.

Research has shown that higher cadence decreases lactate buildup for the same effort. 85-95 is the ideal range apparently. There is other research however that suggests that self selected cadence is the best, so whatever you naturally would ride at.

Many triathletes will spin a really high gear during the bike legs, upwards of 110rpm, the theory being that it limits your muscular output so your legs aren't as tired for the run. I run a fairly high cadence. Usually in the 90-100 range. I can hit 200rpm in a seated track sprint. There are also tactical reasons to spin higher or lower gears. In a draft legal race, it can be better to push a harder gear. This allows you to do 'micro-recoveries'. Basically you push the crank two or three hard revolutions and then coast for a second or two. In races with really fast paces, this, in conjunction with drafting, will allow weaker riders to hang onto the group. 

As a general rule, and for the sake of your knees, try to keep your rpms above 80 at least. Otherwise do whatever is most comfortable. Practice higher cadence pedalling though. You might find after awhile that you prefer a higher cadence once you get used to it.  Do 30s-1min drills where you spin faster in an easier gear. For some, 100rpm might be a stretch while others may get up to 150-160rpm. This will help develop leg speed and pedal stroke. 

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the BDAS is the best group on this forum!

I totally get it and I need to start doing it. I tend to approach all my workouts like little mini races - just go as hard as and fast as I can go. I bet I'd get a lot faster if I were to use my brain once in a while.

2015-05-30 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Go Juan and Devon!!!! Good luck, we will be cheering for you!!!! Have fun!!

X2! Looking forward to the race reports and the post race beer pics (those are my favorites!)
2015-05-30 8:25 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

Check-in You gotta love it when a plan comes together. My son had his very first Saturday detention today. He brought his cell phone to class twice and left it in his backpack. Some doofus texted him in the middle of the day and it wasn't silent. I was that doofus BTW. So get this: his school is right near the park where my planned August triathlon is held. I decided that I would do the sprint B/R course brick while he was in school. I dropped him off....head to the park and I see signs for a triathlon tomorrow. So either the shoulder of the road is ALWAYS that perfect or they cleaned it for the triathlon and therefore...for me too. I did the workout and got back to the school just as detention ended. So here are my thoughts on the B/R brick: The course wasn't as confusing as it appeared, I'm much more comfortable with both now. The Oly is pretty much just double the sprint course, so I'm good there too. The bike course isn't too bad, it has rolling hills, but nothing too crazy. The run was nicely shaded. My only problem: my sit bones are SCREAMING at me right now. This isn't my first outside ride, but obviously it was the first one with lots of road bumps. I think i'm gonna ice my butt.

I also did this in the same gear I'll use, except I'm saving the BDAS shirt for the real race. This was a good gear test too.

Dear Mr. Vernon - we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice an entire saturday in detention for whatever it was that we did wrong.... But speaking of wrong - have you seen my dad in his bike shorts

Great idea to ride the course before the race. When those pre race nerves start up - just remember - you've been there done that. As for icing your butt - you and me both brother!

2015-05-30 8:26 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

DeLand, Florida
Dave O - sounds great! Great opportunity to check out the course ahead of time.
Btw mine hurts too from my ride today. Mine is my first outdoor ride of the season though.
2015-05-30 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
So - after breaking my mile swim PR - I was pretty jazzed.... So today when I went out for my long ride - I decided to add 5 miles to my long ride figuring that I had my PT/Deep Tissue massage on Monday.. It was a great ride for the first 35 miles... Warm air, blue skies, and since I was going long, I purposely avoided as many hills. Things got dicy however in the last 5.... My wife is away on a school trip - so I have it in the back of my mind that I need to get home quickly as I've basically left them alone for the better part of three hours. So, when Irun out of water with 30 minutes left - I just think I'll grab some when I get home. With 2 miles to go - I start getting dizzy and I think - man, I should stop and get a drink - but there are no stores around. So, I keep going - paying special attention to riding straight since the road I'm on is really busy. I decide to go to the car wash figuring they must have water - which they do except its soapy.... So, I hit up the vending machine. It eats my quarters... I'm beside myself There is no one to call - except for my 14 year old son who I'm sure would love to try driving the car So I keep going. A bit down the road is a gas station - but it's closed.... but it has a soda machine on the side of the building.... I'm saved I think - except I don't have any change... As I'm trying to figure out what to do - a guy pulls up in his car and says - Hey that machine doesn't work... How do you know - do you work here by any chance. Yea - he says - he had come back to the store to get his wallet... Is there a tap where I could grab some water. No, he says - but he's be willing to open up the station and fill my water bottle up. Praise Jesus! I chugged the bottle and could feel the energy coming back....

I made it home but it was an adventure.... the 40 miles was the longest I've ridden this year... Things are finally clicking for me....
2015-05-30 9:11 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by sandishr

Jenn, what distance is your race?

Sandi

Sandi, I was supposed to do a HIM but with my knee issue this past winter I'm skipping the run piece and doing the Aquabike - same swim and bike (1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike). I'll take a short jog after to see how it goes for the knee - I figure it will be great training for the other HIM I plan to do later in the summer. I'm strangely a little nervous already, a whole month out. I think it's because I haven't done an ows yet this year (water is still in the 50's). I will soon.

I'm thinking about joining a local triathlon team but don't feel I'm good enough or maybe have the time to dedicate to it (or maybe I'm just looking for excuses because I'm nervous). Two people I've met at the pool have talked to me about it and say there is a huge variety of abilities from beginners to including a national champion! One girl, Angie DeFiippi has finished Ironman Hawaii 11 times. I'm thinking I could really learn some things from some of these folks if I could train with them on occasion, or just breathe the same air they are... Donna Smyers podiumed in Mount Tremblant at the 70.3 world championships in 2014. The sponsors are amazing too (and maybe some good swag...). Don't know....
Oh, edit...one of the sponsors is Switchback brewing company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well maybe I just convinced myself..

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-05-30 9:26 PM
2015-05-30 9:25 PM

User image

, Vermont

So - after breaking my mile swim PR - I was pretty jazzed.... So today when I went out for my long ride - I decided to add 5 miles to my long ride figuring that I had my PT/Deep Tissue massage on Monday.. It was a great ride for the first 35 miles... Warm air, blue skies, and since I was going long, I purposely avoided as many hills. Things got dicy however in the last 5.... My wife is away on a school trip - so I have it in the back of my mind that I need to get home quickly as I've basically left them alone for the better part of three hours. So, when Irun out of water with 30 minutes left - I just think I'll grab some when I get home. With 2 miles to go - I start getting dizzy and I think - man, I should stop and get a drink - but there are no stores around. So, I keep going - paying special attention to riding straight since the road I'm on is really busy. I decide to go to the car wash figuring they must have water - which they do except its soapy.... So, I hit up the vending machine. It eats my quarters... I'm beside myself There is no one to call - except for my 14 year old son who I'm sure would love to try driving the car So I keep going. A bit down the road is a gas station - but it's closed.... but it has a soda machine on the side of the building.... I'm saved I think - except I don't have any change... As I'm trying to figure out what to do - a guy pulls up in his car and says - Hey that machine doesn't work... How do you know - do you work here by any chance. Yea - he says - he had come back to the store to get his wallet... Is there a tap where I could grab some water. No, he says - but he's be willing to open up the station and fill my water bottle up. Praise Jesus! I chugged the bottle and could feel the energy coming back....

I made it home but it was an adventure.... the 40 miles was the longest I've ridden this year... Things are finally clicking for me....

The only useless water is the water left behind (this is a flying quote, but for us it's fuel...) So happy it worked out for you!!! Someone upstairs was totally looking out for you!! You deserve a beer for that!! I still haven't hit 40 miles due to my topple, time to get on it!! Lots of rain forecast for the next few days so I think I'll put the trainer in the garage and spin there (supposed to be 50 degrees tomorrow).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54800 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.