BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-06-20 1:15 PM
in reply to: 0

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
So I'm back up after around 6 hours of sleep. Got off around 6am..not really sure how I made the 5 mile drive home, I was so exhausted I passed out on my bed still in a suit for a few hours 0.o

So I've been reevaluating my diet, while I love the energy raw food has been giving me, with my work schedule etc it is really hard to eat strictly raw, the amount of food I need to eat just isn't practical to bring with me every night.

I know I need to get a solid nutrition plan locked down for the next few months, thinking I might just go back to eating really lean which helped me lose the first 30 or so pounds this year. I would love to hit a race weight of 165 or so by November. That would put me around 12% BF. I think I may keep drinking my banana smoothies in the morning, gives me a nice carb up for the rest of the day.

Off to run now... And then hopefully a nap before work...

Edited by GeauxHard 2015-06-20 1:16 PM

2015-06-20 10:36 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in: I did my longest ride to date today. 24.6 miles. It wasn't a super fast ride since I was trying to maintain a lower heart rate. I did a quick 1 mile run brick just to teach my body what it's going to be doing in the future. My thighs are a little annoyed at me, but overall it's a good ache. Time for a run and possible swim on Fathers day tomorrow.

John That class sounds awesome. I wish my YMCA did something like that.

Gretchen Welcome back, I hope you're over the bruises from the fall soon. Happy B-Day!

Sandi I love the bike store. For the longest time I was getting my hair cut at a barbershop that gave free beer. I stopped once the chlorine from the pool started to turn my hair into straw. Now I just use the clippers.

This is a little old, but it's the first time I saw this. That's just incredible: http://www.totalprosports.com/2014/07/28/cyclist-shares-photo-tour-...

2015-06-21 8:30 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Sweet bike shop Sandi!

Well the first race of 2015 is in the books for the family.

Friday: got home from work and the whole family pitched in getting bikes etc. packed for the trip about 3 hours away. Headed down the highway with stops for supper(double big mac, fries and gravy...not the best night before meal)beer and breakfast groceries. Picked up race packages, got marked and drove the bike and run routes. Went to my sister's house 40 minutes away had a a few of my favourite ISA beers and hit the hay.

Saturday:Up early had coffee, bagel peanut butter and jam. At the race over an hour before heats. We were a bit unorganized this time as me, my wife and my son were all in the water 10 minutes apart. 10:20, 10;30 and 10:40. My sister was late coming to look after my daughter arriving as my wife was getting ready to hit the water...stressful to say the least. Transition area was a mess. waiting for people to remove bikes so we could get in.

I hopped in at 10:30 and was stuck with a guy doing breast stroke the whole way, pretty sure he put his time a wee bit faster then he should have. Never really got into my rhythm but....Hopped out of pool and went the wrong way....oops, should have been paying attention better! My son was still waiting to go. First time not watching him race. Sad to miss but proud of him for his independence. Transition was okay. 

Hopped on bike and off I went in the sunshine. An out and back course. Met my wife coming back. I was about a mile and a half behind her. Couldn't quite reel here in. Great moment when i seen my son coming up to his turnaround. He was flying! Seen him coming into transition as I was out running. Also seen my wife just leaving transition as I was running my bike in. Seeing family racing as I am is such a huge boost!

Well after a below average transition I headed out on a run. Have not run any distance in just about two weeks due to ankle...

Some ankle pain. Decided just to gut it out and run the 5k. Had a volunteer send me the wrong way at the beginning of run that probably cost me a minute. She thought I already completed a lap...damn! After that I just settled in and worked on passing people and catching my wife which I never did. I managed to see her cross the line. Finished strong with my wife, son and daughter waiting for me!

After this quickly went to pre race meeting for my daughter and got her ready to go.  Hers was more of fun race. I was not sure how she would do in her swimming so I put her this one which had a 25 meter swim instead of 100 meter. Not sure how good her swim coach is(me). Well she kicked butt on the swim! She did her swim bike(800 meters), run 500 meters in about 7 minutes. 

To have the whole family race is the best father's day gift I could get. 

In the end my wife won the women's sprint overall.

My 12 yr old son was second in his age group and 8th overall including adults(tri a tri distance)

My 7 yr old daughter flew through her course!(they didn't track time or placing for her group)

Overall it was great day of racing for the family. Not sure if I am pleased with where I am but it is what it is. Next race is 3 weeks away in Invermere BC!

2015-06-22 8:28 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Sandi - love that bike shop!

Thor - sounds like a fantastic Father's Day indeed!! I got a bit stressed just reading about the logistics and getting everyone situated... I have a hard enough time keeping track of myself! Awesome that you and everyone else had a great race!

Dave O - holy S! I've never seen that before, and almost wish I hadn't. It's so easy watching it on TV and seeing guys get dropped on their 6th mountain climb of the day, somewhere around 100 miles in to the ride... You just have no idea what they're going through.

My Father's Day was great! We have a tradition of running the Fairhaven Father's Day Road Race with a bunch of my family. I've done both the 5k and the 10k, and had to sit the race out last summer with the stress fracture. This summer I decided to take it slow, also to be Sprint distance focused, so I did the 5k. Only other 5k I've done in the past 12 months was over Thanksgiving, the Beerd run in my profile pic. I crushed a PR on that one, and being in Orlando around a lake, it was flat as a pancake. This Father's Day one has a couple small hills, one of which drags on for close to a half mile. When Sunday morning came around, we had flood warnings and yellow and orange spots on the radar. It poured all right - more like swimming than running. So I figured I wasn't going to touch my time from November. That was hard, I have a problem where I always want to be faster. Well, I didn't touch it alright - I smoked it by 1:45. 87th out of 1151, 8 out of 117 in my AG. Very very happy, and I know I can go faster still. I have it in me!

Had a great lunch with my girls and my mom after, and followed that up with a 13 mile bike ride in the late afternoon after the sun came out

Hope all the rest of you had a great Father's Day too!

Edited by firebert 2015-06-22 8:30 AM
2015-06-22 4:06 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Well today was supposed to be a long run..until the temperature decided to get up to around 104 midday, which in southern Louisiana might as well be like stepping into a sauna.

Hopefully we get some rain later on and the temp drops so I can get my run in tonight.

Looks like it's gonna be a hot summer :/
2015-06-22 4:16 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Love the look of the Weehoo!

How was your race???

Originally posted by Moonrocket Hey sorry I've been slacking! Had a race last week and immediately had 6 relatives arrive to stay at our house. Justin- best trailer ever is a WeeHoo http://rideweehoo.comPerfect for the bored/ too tall for a buggy trailer but not quite ready for a tag along. We've had ours three years and still get a ton of use out of it. It has been amazing! I have sold a ton to friends and strangers we meet on rides.

2015-06-22 4:23 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Madrid
Thor - fun family race, congrats!! It sound a bit stressing though, happy to hear you can cope with that easily....

Sandi - veyr jealous of your LBS, if in my country beer was free at any shop, everyone would be around for hours, not sure a good business!

Been extremely busy with travelling and work, not training to much after my HIM, but this weekend went to Barcelona with wife and kids to run my first relay tri, sprint distance, just had to swim! Pretty confused at transtion, my wife in another team and my kids trying to find their way till we were done - at the end, great day at the beach running for Make-a-Wish.

Juan

(Garmin1.jpg)

(Garmin2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Garmin1.jpg (106KB - 3 downloads)
Garmin2.JPG (205KB - 3 downloads)
2015-06-22 5:11 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Hey there friends!
So I have been around, running the Lake Tahoe Odyssey, paddle boarding from cove to cove and then running 10 miles the next day...it was the first day of summer and I look like I have already put in three months of fun and sun...I am soooo brown. Cheers and keep up the good work all!
2015-06-22 9:58 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Hey sorry I've been slacking! Had a race last week and immediately had 6 relatives arrive to stay at our house.

Justin- best trailer ever is a WeeHoo http://rideweehoo.com

Perfect for the bored/ too tall for a buggy trailer but not quite ready for a tag along. We've had ours three years and still get a ton of use out of it. It has been amazing! I have sold a ton to friends and strangers we meet on rides.

Sweet! thanks,

Do you get a comision from them now? I can buy through you if so
2015-06-22 10:00 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Just banged out 1500m at the pool tonight, and it felt awesome, havnet been on much because we have family in town vistiting, Hopefully everyone is drinking lots of beer, and getting in some good training.

Ill be back on in a couple of days to catch up, when the family goes home.

2015-06-23 8:14 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! I've been following all of your posts, keeping up, just not posting anything. Race is Saturday. Finally got an ows in yesterday, plan to hit the pool today and ows on Thursday when my sis-in-law gets in town. She hasn't done any ows yet and has never used a wetsuit for swimming.
Bringing my bike in today to have them re-set my saddle. I don't think I ever got it back to where it should be from my crash - maybe that's part of my problem. I've also been emailing Cobb trying to determine if this is the right seat for me. They have great response time.

Gretchen - great to see you back state-side and rocking your workouts!!

Sandi - I would be at that bike shop every day!!!

Thor - that is just so amazing for your whole family!!!! Good for you guys!! I love that everyone is into it!!

So many others I want to comment on but don't want to make this super long! I've been trying to give shout-outs and "likes" on Garmin Connect to the folks in there.
Cheers all!!

2015-06-23 7:46 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Well today was supposed to be a long run..until the temperature decided to get up to around 104 midday, which in southern Louisiana might as well be like stepping into a sauna.

Hopefully we get some rain later on and the temp drops so I can get my run in tonight.

Looks like it's gonna be a hot summer :/

You are certainly welcome to some of our rain. Fly fishing the rivers was over before it started this year. Pouring today.
2015-06-24 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well 1 more sleep until we are off to our family tri training weekend in Penticton, BC.(former home to Ironman Canada Race) We will be camping for 5 nights...(we usually haul our trailer) It is around a 600 mile drive but well worth it. Training in the morning, beach, picking cherries hitting wineries in the afternoon. There is even a few breweries/brewpubs around...Just for David I am going to try a Pear IPA....

Edited by thor67 2015-06-24 8:14 AM
2015-06-24 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Not sure if this was posted before but interesting read on this guy who is doing 50 IM in 50 states in 50 days...

http://www.ironcowboy.co

2015-06-24 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Have a great race Jenn!

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hi all! I've been following all of your posts, keeping up, just not posting anything. Race is Saturday. Finally got an ows in yesterday, plan to hit the pool today and ows on Thursday when my sis-in-law gets in town. She hasn't done any ows yet and has never used a wetsuit for swimming. Bringing my bike in today to have them re-set my saddle. I don't think I ever got it back to where it should be from my crash - maybe that's part of my problem. I've also been emailing Cobb trying to determine if this is the right seat for me. They have great response time. Gretchen - great to see you back state-side and rocking your workouts!! Sandi - I would be at that bike shop every day!!! Thor - that is just so amazing for your whole family!!!! Good for you guys!! I love that everyone is into it!! So many others I want to comment on but don't want to make this super long! I've been trying to give shout-outs and "likes" on Garmin Connect to the folks in there. Cheers all!!

Edited by thor67 2015-06-24 8:42 AM
2015-06-24 8:43 AM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Have a great race this weekend Cynthia! enjoy the journey!! (and a cold beer or three at the end!!)

Originally posted by Syndiethea Hey there friends! So I have been around, running the Lake Tahoe Odyssey, paddle boarding from cove to cove and then running 10 miles the next day...it was the first day of summer and I look like I have already put in three months of fun and sun...I am soooo brown. Cheers and keep up the good work all!

2015-06-24 8:45 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Sounds like great fun Juan. Pretty relaxed and looks like an awesome location!

Originally posted by Juancho Thor - fun family race, congrats!! It sound a bit stressing though, happy to hear you can cope with that easily.... Sandi - veyr jealous of your LBS, if in my country beer was free at any shop, everyone would be around for hours, not sure a good business! Been extremely busy with travelling and work, not training to much after my HIM, but this weekend went to Barcelona with wife and kids to run my first relay tri, sprint distance, just had to swim! Pretty confused at transtion, my wife in another team and my kids trying to find their way till we were done - at the end, great day at the beach running for Make-a-Wish. Juan

2015-06-24 8:52 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Juan - looks like a great time!

Jenn - kick some butt this weekend!

Thor - sounds like a fantastic family weekend!

I've had a couple non-scheduled rest days. Monday I just needed a rest from the double on Sunday (5k plus bike ride). Last night I got to see my favorite band of all time, and from the 3rd row on the floor no less. Didn't think I was going to get to see the R40 tour at all, but a buddy came through with not only a 3rd row floor ticket, but as a late birthday gift! AWESOME show!

Tonight I've got to work around my wife having a double workout night, after she had to skip the scheduled run last night since she was basically standing next to a tornado trying to touch down... Hoping to get a trainer ride in late, we'll see how it goes. Then tomorrow it's week 2 of the Tri Training group!

2015-06-24 12:18 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jenn & Thor--good luck this weekend!

John--I am so crazy jealous of that class! It sounds awesome!!!

I'm having mixed feelings lately about workouts, but I'm hoping it is just the post trip jet-lag and immediate travel. I landed at home on Wednesday night, then Sunday had to turn around and go testify at a trial about 5 hours from my house. So, yuck, travel after travel. I know people do this all the time, but it sucked. The bright spot was that Rock Island, where I had to go, has a 60 mile bike trail along the river. Since I was driving, I threw my bike in the truck and took the opportunity to ride on some dedicated, relatively flat trails. I ended up going over 21 miles, which is the longest ride I've ever done. That was cool. Monday and Tuesday didn't see any workouts--Monday was testimony and driving home, Tuesday was a day of misery. I think the hectic nature of the last three months caught up to me yesterday. I was miserable, so I just laid on the couch and watched OITNB on Netflix all day.

This morning I was up early and took the dog for a run. Then, hit the pool for my first swim in five weeks (no pool in middle Egypt!) and now I'm in my office trying to get into the groove of a little work (it is summer--I'm not supposed to be working at all!!!!). Up to 210/400--tomorrow I'm going to my LBS to test ride bikes. I'm thinking Giant. Does anyone have any experiences with this brand? My favorite LBS sells them and I've liked them since I started riding (no idea if they work with my geometry or not though).
2015-06-24 1:02 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Giant is a solid brand. You get a little more for your money, vs Trek, Specialized etc. I'd roll on a Giant, no problem.

I'm trying to catch up in the thread a bit. Life has been busy! When my 4yo didn't have two days of preschool all of the sudden, my schedule got really messed up. On top of that, my mountain bike trails got destroyed by a flood, as well as a huge section of the rail trail.

-Kurt
2015-06-24 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

A new bike will snap you out of the doldrums!!

I ride a Giant TCR 2. Carbon frame and mainly 105 components. I love it! If it fits you and your budget then go for it!

http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3045038&make=683&model=55827&year=2013&priceMax=20000

Make sure you post some pics if you get it!

Originally posted by drfoodlove Jenn & Thor--good luck this weekend! John--I am so crazy jealous of that class! It sounds awesome!!! I'm having mixed feelings lately about workouts, but I'm hoping it is just the post trip jet-lag and immediate travel. I landed at home on Wednesday night, then Sunday had to turn around and go testify at a trial about 5 hours from my house. So, yuck, travel after travel. I know people do this all the time, but it sucked. The bright spot was that Rock Island, where I had to go, has a 60 mile bike trail along the river. Since I was driving, I threw my bike in the truck and took the opportunity to ride on some dedicated, relatively flat trails. I ended up going over 21 miles, which is the longest ride I've ever done. That was cool. Monday and Tuesday didn't see any workouts--Monday was testimony and driving home, Tuesday was a day of misery. I think the hectic nature of the last three months caught up to me yesterday. I was miserable, so I just laid on the couch and watched OITNB on Netflix all day. This morning I was up early and took the dog for a run. Then, hit the pool for my first swim in five weeks (no pool in middle Egypt!) and now I'm in my office trying to get into the groove of a little work (it is summer--I'm not supposed to be working at all!!!!). Up to 210/400--tomorrow I'm going to my LBS to test ride bikes. I'm thinking Giant. Does anyone have any experiences with this brand? My favorite LBS sells them and I've liked them since I started riding (no idea if they work with my geometry or not though).

Edited by thor67 2015-06-24 3:02 PM

2015-06-24 3:10 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by thor67

Not sure if this was posted before but interesting read on this guy who is doing 50 IM in 50 states in 50 days...

http://www.ironcowboy.co

Yes!! He'll be here in Burlington on July 10th!! As soon as I find out what time I am totally going to follow him, for however briefly, on the bike!! It's already on my calendar!! I'm sure he'll be like a fish in the water and I can't run so bike it is!! So cool...
2015-06-24 3:11 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by thor67

Well 1 more sleep until we are off to our family tri training weekend in Penticton, BC.(former home to Ironman Canada Race) We will be camping for 5 nights...(we usually haul our trailer) It is around a 600 mile drive but well worth it. Training in the morning, beach, picking cherries hitting wineries in the afternoon. There is even a few breweries/brewpubs around...Just for David I am going to try a Pear IPA....

That sounds like a slice of heaven!! Again, it's so, so great your whole family is in on this!!
2015-06-24 3:15 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Jenn & Thor--good luck this weekend!

John--I am so crazy jealous of that class! It sounds awesome!!!

I'm having mixed feelings lately about workouts, but I'm hoping it is just the post trip jet-lag and immediate travel. I landed at home on Wednesday night, then Sunday had to turn around and go testify at a trial about 5 hours from my house. So, yuck, travel after travel. I know people do this all the time, but it sucked. The bright spot was that Rock Island, where I had to go, has a 60 mile bike trail along the river. Since I was driving, I threw my bike in the truck and took the opportunity to ride on some dedicated, relatively flat trails. I ended up going over 21 miles, which is the longest ride I've ever done. That was cool. Monday and Tuesday didn't see any workouts--Monday was testimony and driving home, Tuesday was a day of misery. I think the hectic nature of the last three months caught up to me yesterday. I was miserable, so I just laid on the couch and watched OITNB on Netflix all day.

This morning I was up early and took the dog for a run. Then, hit the pool for my first swim in five weeks (no pool in middle Egypt!) and now I'm in my office trying to get into the groove of a little work (it is summer--I'm not supposed to be working at all!!!!). Up to 210/400--tomorrow I'm going to my LBS to test ride bikes. I'm thinking Giant. Does anyone have any experiences with this brand? My favorite LBS sells them and I've liked them since I started riding (no idea if they work with my geometry or not though).

Thanks, Gretchen!

Don't worry - you will get your groove back. Don't forget to let your body rest up from traveling - it really takes a lot out of you and your Circadian rhythm is all thrown off right now. (having flown lots of back-side of the clock flights all over the world, I understand!) Keep your workouts short - quality vs quantity until you get back in the groove. If you try to go long right off you might get discouraged.
Oh, and a new bike will be amazing!!! No one will get you off of it!!
2015-06-24 3:16 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by firebert

Juan - looks like a great time!

Jenn - kick some butt this weekend!

Thor - sounds like a fantastic family weekend!

I've had a couple non-scheduled rest days. Monday I just needed a rest from the double on Sunday (5k plus bike ride). Last night I got to see my favorite band of all time, and from the 3rd row on the floor no less. Didn't think I was going to get to see the R40 tour at all, but a buddy came through with not only a 3rd row floor ticket, but as a late birthday gift! AWESOME show!

Tonight I've got to work around my wife having a double workout night, after she had to skip the scheduled run last night since she was basically standing next to a tornado trying to touch down... Hoping to get a trainer ride in late, we'll see how it goes. Then tomorrow it's week 2 of the Tri Training group!

You got to see RUSH!!??? Third row?!!?!?!? The best I've been is 6th row! That is so awesoooooooommmmmmme!!! That is worth any amount of days off - this is probably going to be their last tour!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54719 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.