BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-06-30 11:35 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Hi Gretchen, I would not leave my bike in the car, first I drive a Mini so very easy to cut the convertible roof and get away with it, and second, most hotels are bike friendly. Most races are in remote places, and bikes are expensive, so the equation is clear: I´d rather sleep with my bike!

Juan

2015-06-30 11:59 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Moonrocket

The only reason I'm considering is because it's on my 40th BDay and I have a history of doing stupid things on milestone birthdays ;-)

I love that you got a plaque for your Aqua bike!

My daughter was doing races in the backyard with friends and was awarding them all medals from our collection yesterday.

All the more reason to do it!! I'm 45 now and wish I had started tri when I was 40! Go! Give it a shot! What a birthday present!!
2015-06-30 12:01 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I think I have appeased the rain gods somehow. Lately, every time I want to go for a ride, even if the forecast says it is going to rain and the sky looks like it is about to dump buckets on me, I've managed to get in my ride. Maybe the rain gods like new bikes too! Anyway, it has been pretty busy around here lately--my oly plan is serious! I knew that before, but now that I'm in the middle of week two, it is real to me. This morning was a ride and weight workout (218 & 219/400).

Just reserved a hotel room for my tri in two weeks. Question for the group: Do you all bring your bikes inside the hotel with you, or leave them in the car? I booked a nice hotel in a sorta run down city, so I was planning to carry mine into the room. Anyone ever have a hotel have a problem with this?

Absolutely bring it in the hotel/motel with you. Some people are kind enough to ask the front desk person if it's okay. I don't ask on this one - it's coming with me.
2015-06-30 12:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Okay, I'm back home from Tupper Lake. I did a lengthy race report but no idea how to link it in this body so if you want to read it I think you have to click on me, choose profile, then on the right hand column you'll see race reports - choose Toughman Tupper Lake Aquabike.
This was the first year they've offered it with the HIM, sprint, and relay so there were some growing pains - such as not having a defined finish for us and not putting food vouchers for the night before carb loading dinner (I had to pay but it was supposed to be included). LOL I asked so many people how we finished and no one knew! I finally found a friend of the race director and he said he was making the call to have us cross the T2 mat and call that our finish. No finish line pictures or anything, no music, and almost no food. To get our medals we had to go to the real finish and collect it. We were allowed to run across the finish line if we wanted to - pure cheese but I did it anyway (and felt a little embarrassed doing it). LOL. All this being said, I'm so happy they offered it so I could race!!! What a great opportunity and I thanked anyone associated with the race for offering the Aquabike! It was great!! I totally encourage anyone to try this kind of race if you're having any issues with running! It really helps keep you fit and focused and off the sidelines.
The highlight was watching my sis-in-law come in from the HIM. This was her first tri ever and she went right to the HIM! Her goal was to do it in under 6 hours and she did!! 5:59:47!! She did great, I was so proud of her!!
The bike course was nice and I'd do this again. The lake took a minute to get used to - it was coffee brown with almost no visibility, but the volunteers were phenomenal and there were plenty of aid stations. I heard on the run there was an aid station every mile!! Is that normal on a HIM? That's great! Anyway, we got 2 free beers after the race so I had a Saranac Pale Ale.
My true post-race beer happened last night when we all got home and had a Heady Topper! whoop, whoop!! The stores were out and a friend happened to have a 4 pack she got last week and she gave it to me!!! Now that is a true friend. I will go tomorrow to meet the delivery truck at the beverage center to pay her back (and get some more for myself!).
Sis-in-law is on left, I'm on the right. We're eating Vietnamese food and drinking our Heady!

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-06-30 12:23 PM

(Cheers!.jpg)

(Before start.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Cheers!.jpg (44KB - 4 downloads)
Before start.jpg (41KB - 4 downloads)
2015-06-30 12:33 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
One more picture. I happened to be waiting for my free chiro adjustment near the tent where they were doing awards and they were giving out the Aquabike awards. Glad I was there because I got one. Family was hanging on the green by the motel with another couple we knew so they weren't there and it was a little awkward when they called my name and I walked up to get it - not a soul clapped. Crickets. LOL. The poor announcer, I felt a little bad for him - he kept telling people, hey, let's give her a hand! I slinked over for my adjustment - it was great. I felt like a million bucks after.

(Plaque.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Plaque.jpg (35KB - 6 downloads)
2015-06-30 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats!!!

Sounds chaotic but fun!

I am really thinking about this race- did hill repeats on my bike last night and two 1k laps at the res this morning. I have a group run this afternoon... I'm even browsing tri gear Betty Designs has some really cute ones!

2015-06-30 12:49 PM

User image

, Vermont

Congrats!!!

Sounds chaotic but fun!

I am really thinking about this race- did hill repeats on my bike last night and two 1k laps at the res this morning. I have a group run this afternoon... I'm even browsing tri gear Betty Designs has some really cute ones!

I have heard really great things about Betty Designs!! They have some really nice tri suits!! I saw a few at the race this past weekend!
2015-06-30 12:57 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Jenn - sorry for the race day chaos, but congrats on 2nd! That's awesome! So's the beer reward!

Betty Designs - my wife has a couple of the kits and they're awesome. They've held up really well. They're awesome enough we got one for our little one. Probably overkill for her kids' tri but she's so darn cute in it....
2015-06-30 1:27 PM
in reply to: #5125827

User image

, Vermont
No chaos - didn't feel chaotic. Just had to ask the right people. I was able to tell the other Aquabikers what we had to do. It was all good. Someone would have figured it out.
2015-06-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by Qua17

stick = Coors light penalty during next weeks Nascar race

Wait - is the Coors Light the penalty, or is watching the NASCAR race? For me it could go either way :lol:

If I really wanted to suffer, I'd watch the Sox play
2015-06-30 1:45 PM

User image

Expert

I have a dilemma - I am trying to decide if I should race Xterra USA champs merely because I qualified. the bike is brutal though and I have never done anything nearly that hard. So, do I sign up and hope I figure out how to climb 3400ft in the next 2.5 months?

I can't decide.

I can understand the hesitation - 3400 is a lot of hills. But it's doable! Plus, 10 weeks is plenty of time to strengthen those legs so that you can enjoy the race you qualified for. Just think of how good that beer will taste at the finish line.

Seriously - my suggestion would be to sign up for a race in the next 4-6 weeks that's hilly maybe 1600-2000 of gain just to give yourself a confidence boost.

This is something you can and should do!

2015-06-30 1:52 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida

If I really wanted to suffer, I'd watch the Sox play

Psst - Hey Dave, don't look now, but the Sox are currently ahead of the Indians What a terrible year for our respective teams!
2015-06-30 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
MOlsen - I had a nasty bout of PF that wouldn't go away. Finally ordered a night splint on Amazon, and after about a week of wearing it the first hour or two of sleep (I would wake up and feel like I was trapped...had to take it off!!!), my PF was 90% gone. Then I slowly started running again, and I think it's gone.

Sorry if this has been covered. :D
2015-06-30 4:50 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Hi Gretchen, I would not leave my bike in the car, first I drive a Mini so very easy to cut the convertible roof and get away with it, and second, most hotels are bike friendly. Most races are in remote places, and bikes are expensive, so the equation is clear: I´d rather sleep with my bike!

Juan
2015-06-30 5:31 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by fifthcircle

MOlsen - I had a nasty bout of PF that wouldn't go away. Finally ordered a night splint on Amazon, and after about a week of wearing it the first hour or two of sleep (I would wake up and feel like I was trapped...had to take it off!!!), my PF was 90% gone. Then I slowly started running again, and I think it's gone. Sorry if this has been covered. :D

It's been mentioned before, but no harm in mentioning it again! I do wear a night splint in addition to more stable shoes and orthopedic inserts. It's done wonders and my PF is at a "mild inconvenience" state. Sore in the mornings and just a nagging stiffness during the day. When I run it loosens up quickly however I know my stride is a little off due to it. After each run I ice it to keep the swelling down however it still gets a little angry on run days. That said I've cut my run mileage down from ~20 miles a week to about 10 miles at my podiatrists orders. My next long event (half-marathon) isn't until October so I'm going to stay with the low mileage through July then ramp back into my HM mileage.

2015-06-30 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jenn - sorry for the race day chaos, but congrats on 2nd! That's awesome! So's the beer reward!

Betty Designs - my wife has a couple of the kits and they're awesome. They've held up really well. They're awesome enough we got one for our little one. Probably overkill for her kids' tri but she's so darn cute in it....

Thanks for the recommendation- I've never seen one in person- that I knew was one!

Jenn too!

I love first hand experience.

John- can you ask you wife how they are on length? I always find tri tops too short.

Thanks!
Kate

2015-06-30 5:44 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran

I can understand the hesitation - 3400 is a lot of hills. But it's doable! Plus, 10 weeks is plenty of time to strengthen those legs so that you can enjoy the race you qualified for. Just think of how good that beer will taste at the finish line.

Seriously - my suggestion would be to sign up for a race in the next 4-6 weeks that's hilly maybe 1600-2000 of gain just to give yourself a confidence boost.

This is something you can and should do!

Okay- now I'm looking at Xterra Aspen (well actually calling a Nanny service in Aspen to see if they will watch our daughter so both my husband and I can do it.) We used them to celebrate our anniversary 4 years ago. Funny the only place I have every hired a nanny is Aspen.

My run group might get knocked out by lightning tonight if this storm doesn't move quick. Blow wind blow!
2015-06-30 9:55 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Howdy all,

Had a great 3 mile run on the treadmill today, was even able to hold the last mile at sub 7, although I was dying at the end.

However on the drive home..I got rear ended. Roads were wet and woman behind me was following too close. After she hit me she spun off the road into the ditch, her airbags deployed, had to cut her seatbelt and help pull her out. Car was totaled for sure. Not sure if it was because I was warmed up and loose from my run, but I'm feeling fine, no whiplash or anything. My Mini Cooper on the other hand didn't fare so well..rear end is banged up pretty bad.

Guess it could have been worse!

2015-06-30 10:14 PM
in reply to: #5125846

User image

, Vermont
Devon!! I hope you stay okay! That stinks about your car. Be careful and keep an eye out for whiplash over the next day or so. You may want to consider seeing a chiropractor to stave off any neck/back issues you may not be feeling right away.
Nice sub-7 minute/Mike run!!
2015-07-01 2:38 AM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

New user
Madrid
Wow, that´s too bad - hope you are ok.
(good to know there is another Mini driver in the group who fights with his car trying to fit the bike inside....)

Juan
2015-07-01 8:51 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Thanks for the recommendation- I've never seen one in person- that I knew was one!

Jenn too!

I love first hand experience.

John- can you ask you wife how they are on length? I always find tri tops too short.

Thanks!
Kate

She says she has the one piece and it runs small. The consensus (and note on Betty Designs' website) on the two piece sizing is that the tops are true to size but the bottoms you need to order one size up. She said she's not 100% sure about the length of the tops. Which doesn't help much I know....

2015-07-01 12:26 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Howdy all,

Had a great 3 mile run on the treadmill today, was even able to hold the last mile at sub 7, although I was dying at the end.

However on the drive home..I got rear ended. Roads were wet and woman behind me was following too close. After she hit me she spun off the road into the ditch, her airbags deployed, had to cut her seatbelt and help pull her out. Car was totaled for sure. Not sure if it was because I was warmed up and loose from my run, but I'm feeling fine, no whiplash or anything. My Mini Cooper on the other hand didn't fare so well..rear end is banged up pretty bad.

Guess it could have been worse!

Hope you are okay! As others have said, be on the lookout for things like whiplash that may pop up in the next couple of days.
2015-07-01 12:27 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
220 & 221/400 today with a rain shortened bike (~7mi--boo, that is no fun!) and then a long, hard swim (2150 yds) that just about killed me. I need a nap this afternoon for sure!
2015-07-01 1:41 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Originally posted by Juancho

(good to know there is another Mini driver in the group who fights with his car trying to fit the bike inside....)

Juan

Glad I'm not the only one with the struggle of making my bike fit, lol.

Feeling good this morning, very slight soreness.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this before, it's still currently in beta testing.

its called Zwift, it's a computer game that links with your trainer, allows you to ride and race with others in a virtual world. Looks pretty awesome, and it's FREE right now!

Going to be looking into it soon. Maybe we can get a BDAS group together and have some fun.

Edited by GeauxHard 2015-07-01 2:02 PM
2015-07-01 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Originally posted by Juancho

Juan

Glad I'm not the only one with the struggle of making my bike fit, lol.

Feeling good this morning, very slight soreness.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this before, it's still currently in beta testing.

its called Zwift, it's a computer game that links with your trainer, allows you to ride and race with others on courses all around the world. Looks pretty awesome, and it's FREE right now!

Going to be looking into it soon. Maybe we can get a BDAS group together and have some fun. Queen K anyone?

Sorry about the car, glad you are alright!!

I've been using Zwift once in a while, when I don't have an interval workout scheduled on TrainerRoad.
The only thing that bugs me about Zwift is the vPower. I have a CycleOps fluid 2, and it uses my Ant+ speed/cadence to give me a Virtual Power. It bounces around a LOT. I will be grinding along nice and steady, and the darn thing will go from 250w to 120w, and everywhere in between. This doesn't happen with the same equipment and TrainerRoad.

That being said, it's in Beta, and I expect things like this. I'm sure they will get it fixed. It really does help the time go by pretty quickly, until you've done two laps on "The Island". Then you're about 40min in, and the vPower bugs you, and some guy flies past you up the big climb.... GAH!!! LOL!

It would be really fun to set some group ride time and try to ride together on there. I have trouble keeping up with most of the other riders on there. If I'm on there, it will mostly likely be 2-4pm central time, and Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat.

Kurt F. on Zwift

Edited by fifthcircle 2015-07-01 2:23 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54557 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.