BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-09-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Still having some struggles getting back into the groove. I now know what the fall funk is all about. 3.5 weeks since my last race, still not booked for any more races until a 10k in February, still have only done a few road workouts, no swims, no strength training. Work has completely sucked my will to live. I'm actively interviewing for a new job even though it's going to mean a shakeup in the daily routine (the current job is 3 miles from my daughter's school and I do drop off and pick up). I need to get out of here though, my health is being affected from the stress. I started having panic-attack like symptoms under stress, then it got to the point I was having chest pain. Off to the dr I went. ECG was normal THANKFULLY but it meant a diagnosis of panic attacks, which my boss just does not understand. It may be 'in my head' but the physical symptoms are very real - I feel for anyone else that's had to deal with this. Anyway overtime (*unpaid since I'm salary) is taking up a lot of my free time, and my energy level.

Also, I installed my new tubes/tires/wheels/cassette on my bike. Took me a couple hours on a Sunday afternoon but the experience was well worth it! I took my time with it and feel a lot more confident should I have to change a flat on the side of the road. The wheels look and roll awesome. The shifting though.... The only difference between the old cassette and the new one is the series (old 6600 new 6700) because the 6600s are not available any longer. Otherwise it's the same - Ultegra 10sp 12-25. Got the wheel on and went to run through the gears to get some fresh lube on the new cassette and the shifting was way off - skipping gears, sitting in between gears, overshifting at the upper limit to lock the chain between the cassette and the frame....bad news.

So off to youtube I went, watching videos on how to adjust a rear derailleur. All the videos I watched start at the beginning and have you adjust everything - cable tension, both limit screws, and the b-tension. I didn't realize what I needed most was a cable adjustment to fix the indexing (I know this now). Long story short, I made it worse before stripping the last thread on the barrel adjuster on the cable, and gave up at that point last night. Tonight I'll see if I can chase the threads, if not I'll need to find out what my options are for a new derailleur.

2015-09-16 2:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

almost forgot mid 80's is fall or spring weather here. I've been training in 90-100+ all summer now I'm racing in 80's and its messing with my nutrition I actually had to stop and pee hahaha

Edited by b2b14 2015-09-16 2:05 PM
2015-09-16 2:20 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
After two days of hobbling around post-Oly, I made it back to the pool today for a nice, easy swim of 1050 yards. Really, once I was in the water I wanted to do more, but I had a lunch I needed to get to. Feeling much better than Monday, when I had to abandon work after three hours because it hurt too much to sit up (some days, I really enjoy the flexibility I have being a university professor).
2015-09-17 7:25 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by drfoodlove

After two days of hobbling around post-Oly, I made it back to the pool today for a nice, easy swim of 1050 yards. Really, once I was in the water I wanted to do more, but I had a lunch I needed to get to. Feeling much better than Monday, when I had to abandon work after three hours because it hurt too much to sit up (some days, I really enjoy the flexibility I have being a university professor).

Wow - you really put your everything into that race!!! Glad to see you're back in the groove already.
2015-09-17 7:28 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
You guys see this? Sean Astin got a celebrity/charity spot at Kona this year. The pic at the top of the article is with Boston Marathon RD Dave MacGillivray, taken at my wife's last race! She actually chatted with Sean for a bit on the run, they were both doing the run/walk thing and ended up paced together for a bit. We have a pic of Sean and Dave chatting near the same section of fence, presumably before they posed for this pic.

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/13581427/endurance-s...

Edited by firebert 2015-09-17 7:29 AM
2015-09-17 7:34 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
This DIY bike maintenance thing is challenging (at least on a 9 year old bike) but satisfying. I was able to chase the threads on the screw and either the derailleur itself was not stripped, or the threads on the screw were enough to fix it, but either way my shift cable is back in business. And I got the upper limit pretty much set.

Next I need to figure out exactly how and where to set the baseline tension on the shift cable to get the indexing right, or at least close. I found a great video from Global Cycle Network on the process. I haven't been able to find Alan's video though... We're so active in this thread that things get lost quick. Anyone have the youtube link?

Originally posted by firebert

So off to youtube I went, watching videos on how to adjust a rear derailleur. All the videos I watched start at the beginning and have you adjust everything - cable tension, both limit screws, and the b-tension. I didn't realize what I needed most was a cable adjustment to fix the indexing (I know this now). Long story short, I made it worse before stripping the last thread on the barrel adjuster on the cable, and gave up at that point last night. Tonight I'll see if I can chase the threads, if not I'll need to find out what my options are for a new derailleur.

2015-09-17 12:28 PM

User image

I'm afraid I won't be much help on the bike repair. I also you tube the heck out of it when I need to do it.

Fall Funk the struggle is real.

I just realized I only have 2 more long rides then my taper start......

signed up for a sprint this weekend which is the same swim as my iron man, well 1500 yards of it. Same waterway (which is normally busy making OWS tough there)
2015-09-19 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Hello friends.  It's good to see that everyone is doing at least somewhat well.  Between a new puppy, the job settling in, and ramping up my training again, there hasn't been a lot of time to check in.

I've jumped back in to the long course pool with both feet and another dance at IMWI.  With the reasonable hours and minimal stress of the new job, I am absolutely going to crush this year training.  I'm actually enjoying my time in the pool - 15k yards in the last week, which is probably almost twice my previous best.  I'm eating better too, and feeling really good.

2015-09-19 9:16 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Charles, that is excellent!! Good to see you back!! Wow on the IM plunge again!!
I am so happy to hear the job is going well and you've found good balance with job and fun, good for you!
So wow, when is the race next year? I'm forgetting. You must be already gearing up for it from the sounds of it?
Proud of you!
Am I mistaken or did you also do Challenge Maine?
2015-09-20 2:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

This DIY bike maintenance thing is challenging (at least on a 9 year old bike) but satisfying. I was able to chase the threads on the screw and either the derailleur itself was not stripped, or the threads on the screw were enough to fix it, but either way my shift cable is back in business. And I got the upper limit pretty much set.

Next I need to figure out exactly how and where to set the baseline tension on the shift cable to get the indexing right, or at least close. I found a great video from Global Cycle Network on the process. I haven't been able to find Alan's video though... We're so active in this thread that things get lost quick. Anyone have the youtube link?

I hope it is ok for me to post in this thread - I AM currently enjoying a homebrewed IPA
I came across a series of Youtube bike repair videos by a fellow called RJ the Bike Guy. ..helped me to pull parts off one bike and transplant to another !

cheers ...

2015-09-20 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5141918

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Been having a good, relaxed post-race week. Swam on wednesday, ran on Thursday, and then a swim on Friday too. I coupled that with about 20 hours of lawn work, much of which was just overdue, delayed during training. I have two new goals for the immediate future. First, is the HM for New Year's Day. I already have my training plan set out and it starts on 10/9. We (my sister and I) also signed up for a Thanksgiving turkey trot 5K.

The second goal is for my mom, who broke her arm over Labor Day weekend (fell off her deck while washing it). Mom always has a goal to swim 100miles each year. She had made it to 65 miles before getting injured. I have decided to swim those last 35 miles for her. My plan is to give her a pile of index cards with the individual workouts written out on them for Christmas (any ideas for a better presentation welcome!). Since I'm going to Egypt for five weeks (all of October plus a little bit of September), it is going to be tight and require some real dedication.

2015-09-20 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
OK - Fall funk over... Back on the train. I'm done with my two weeks of gouging myself and will weigh in tomorrow and try to lose 10 pounds in 11 weeks. I've got a half mary on Nov. 8. Time to get going.

Speaking of going - I'm going to a Red Sox game with John on Thursday. If I don't work out each day between now and then - water for me.

First workout - 3 miles tomorrow at 5am.

Will catch up starting tomorrow. Browns won! Life is good!

Edited by Qua17 2015-09-20 7:25 PM
2015-09-20 7:20 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Hello friends.  It's good to see that everyone is doing at least somewhat well.  Between a new puppy, the job settling in, and ramping up my training again, there hasn't been a lot of time to check in.

I've jumped back in to the long course pool with both feet and another dance at IMWI.  With the reasonable hours and minimal stress of the new job, I am absolutely going to crush this year training.  I'm actually enjoying my time in the pool - 15k yards in the last week, which is probably almost twice my previous best.  I'm eating better too, and feeling really good.

You the man!
2015-09-20 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

I'm afraid I won't be much help on the bike repair. I also you tube the heck out of it when I need to do it.

Fall Funk the struggle is real.

I just realized I only have 2 more long rides then my taper start......

signed up for a sprint this weekend which is the same swim as my iron man, well 1500 yards of it. Same waterway (which is normally busy making OWS tough there)

2 rides to glory!
2015-09-20 7:28 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
:
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Charles, that is excellent!! Good to see you back!! Wow on the IM plunge again!!
I am so happy to hear the job is going well and you've found good balance with job an fun, good for you!
So wow, when is the race next year? I'm forgetting. You must be already gearing up for it from the sounds of it?
Proud of you!
Am I mistaken or did you also do Challenge Maine?

;
Not only did he do it - but he set a personal best with 6:02!
2015-09-20 8:33 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
I thought so!! Whoop! Whoop!! Well done, Charles!

2015-09-21 8:47 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by triosaurus
Originally posted by firebert This DIY bike maintenance thing is challenging (at least on a 9 year old bike) but satisfying. I was able to chase the threads on the screw and either the derailleur itself was not stripped, or the threads on the screw were enough to fix it, but either way my shift cable is back in business. And I got the upper limit pretty much set. Next I need to figure out exactly how and where to set the baseline tension on the shift cable to get the indexing right, or at least close. I found a great video from Global Cycle Network on the process. I haven't been able to find Alan's video though... We're so active in this thread that things get lost quick. Anyone have the youtube link?
Originally posted by firebert So off to youtube I went, watching videos on how to adjust a rear derailleur. All the videos I watched start at the beginning and have you adjust everything - cable tension, both limit screws, and the b-tension. I didn't realize what I needed most was a cable adjustment to fix the indexing (I know this now). Long story short, I made it worse before stripping the last thread on the barrel adjuster on the cable, and gave up at that point last night. Tonight I'll see if I can chase the threads, if not I'll need to find out what my options are for a new derailleur.
I hope it is ok for me to post in this thread - I AM currently enjoying a homebrewed IPA I came across a series of Youtube bike repair videos by a fellow called RJ the Bike Guy. ..helped me to pull parts off one bike and transplant to another ! cheers ...

Langley...join the group so I can have someone to talk about any new Phillips/BC IPA's that they come out with!

2015-09-21 9:06 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by firebert This DIY bike maintenance thing is challenging (at least on a 9 year old bike) but satisfying. I was able to chase the threads on the screw and either the derailleur itself was not stripped, or the threads on the screw were enough to fix it, but either way my shift cable is back in business. And I got the upper limit pretty much set. Next I need to figure out exactly how and where to set the baseline tension on the shift cable to get the indexing right, or at least close. I found a great video from Global Cycle Network on the process. I haven't been able to find Alan's video though... We're so active in this thread that things get lost quick. Anyone have the youtube link?
Originally posted by firebert So off to youtube I went, watching videos on how to adjust a rear derailleur. All the videos I watched start at the beginning and have you adjust everything - cable tension, both limit screws, and the b-tension. I didn't realize what I needed most was a cable adjustment to fix the indexing (I know this now). Long story short, I made it worse before stripping the last thread on the barrel adjuster on the cable, and gave up at that point last night. Tonight I'll see if I can chase the threads, if not I'll need to find out what my options are for a new derailleur.
I hope it is ok for me to post in this thread - I AM currently enjoying a homebrewed IPA I came across a series of Youtube bike repair videos by a fellow called RJ the Bike Guy. ..helped me to pull parts off one bike and transplant to another ! cheers ...

Langley...join the group so I can have someone to talk about any new Phillips/BC IPA's that they come out with!

Kelly - Welcome to the group. We'd love to have you. When you get a minute - cut and paste the bio from the first page of this thread and tell us about yourself.
2015-09-21 9:06 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Kelly - Welcome to the group. We'd love to have you. When you get a minute - cut and paste the bio from the first page of this thread and tell us about yourself.
2015-09-21 9:12 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Back in the saddle again... I woke up a 4:30 to get in a run. It was amazing outside. The stars were out and I've never need Saturn bigger - it looked like a small moon. Anyone else notice that?

In addition to getting a workout in, I also managed to eat well today. Tomorrow the plan is to get up early and get in a swim and bike before school. If I'm gonna get faster I need to get lighter.

Sorry for being a no show for 2 weeks. I guess that's just my MO...

Is anyone racing in the next few weeks?
2015-09-22 8:19 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

oct 17 is my race. anyone before that? I think most of the group is north so prob getting cold.

I decided last min to do a sprint in Wilmington (same place my full is) the swim was 1500 and in the same waterway as the full. Wanted to redeem myself on the swim after my cramps on half, and get a wetsuit swim in. Woke up at 0300 drove down registered and was setting up T1 when they announced..... swim will not be wetsuit legal! SMH It's the channel so basically ocean but no waves. I did it anyway and had a good swim which at least gives me confidence. My time was a min slower than last year but it was wetsuit legal last year and this year I did a 4hr bike ride the day before. I ordered My athlete live for beach to battleship if anyone wants to be added to the email list PM me and I will send you the link on the race day.

2015-09-22 8:24 AM

User image

I have  half marathon on Oct 18. That'll be my only event this fall. 

2015-09-22 3:17 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I've got 2 half-marathons (within 2 weeks of each other) and an Oly to wrap up my fall schedule. Last weekend of the year will be a half-marathon to put the bow on my season.

2015-09-22 10:12 PM
in reply to: #5142072

User image

, Vermont
Holy smokes, you guys are rolling - I need to get on the stick! I was supposed to do a 10k this weekend but we are now going to camp to get the raft out of the water so that's out. My hubby is doing a virtual HM in November - a goal he set for himself to train and get off the couch. I should do it with him but haven't committed to it yet. I'm now flying a good 4 days a week so that takes a big chunk of time and coupled with having my boys as soon as I'm done while hubby travels. Daylight is fleeting now so it's time to buckle down and take advantage of any good weather and daylight!
On a side note - ski passes are taken care of and the skis are tuned! Bring it! LOL. (Okay, kidding, it can wait a couple more months)
2015-09-23 7:42 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

After my last race I put in an upgrade for cat 2. Got it! One step closer to the big leagues. Now I just need to find a new team... 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54559 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.