BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-20 8:50 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business

Inspires. Okay to start you can get to anyone's training log to give them an inspire by clicking on their name above their pic. it will show a bunch of options including "go to training log" which you click on. it will take you to the training log where you can pick the day you want to click on and inspire.

If you have an inspire it will show up in the top right hand corner.

When replying to an inspire make sure you click on the REPLYbutton so the person you are replying to will know you have replied. Otherwise you are just posting on your own inspire which does not show up for the other person that you replied to.

Try give an inspire or three everyday!

Originally posted by Qua17 Time for some BDAS housekeeping: I took some time this week to create a table containing everyone's usernames and first names. It's located on the front page of my training log and you can cut and paste it into your own (just hit the edit button at the top of the page). Having this information will help you support your fellow BDASers and send them inspires to keep them motivated and to cheer them on during their training. Here is the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.... I tried to be careful - but please let me know if there are any mistakes or if I misspelled your name. I'm more than happy to change it. Thor - would you please repost the message about what you have to do to reply to an inspire. Thx.

2015-01-20 9:20 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Big milestone this morning! Down 10 lb since I resumed strong focus on 5-Jan-15. Currently at 244 lb. Also down 0.6 in around the belly button! This is the year for better health

And I am killing it on the challange. Yesterday morning a swim, last night a ride on the trainer and this morning a 5 km run on the indoor track (however I shoudl have gone outside as it is fantasticly warm for calgary +1 C this morning) Personally I am moving my challange to 10 workouts this week.

Can I propose a challange for next week? (I know perhaps a bit early but this group is moving fast this year )

Please consider the challange for next week: 200 min workout. This can be S/B/R or weights or a sport but only if it gets you into your desired heart rate zone. I like to curl as much as the next canadian but honestly my heart rate probablly only gets up 2 or 3 times in a 2 hour game... it wouldn't count.

let me know what you all think.

keep pushing to all in the challange this week! 5 workouts and you still have the rest of today + 5 more days... you can do it!
2015-01-20 9:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida
Kicking butt Cynthia, Gretchen, and Jeff!!! Jeff holy cow - 10 workouts a week - that sounds ambitious but like you're well on your way there already! Though I suppose anyone doing IM training would laugh at me...

I'm going to have to get creative this week to avoid a CLP. I'm losing tonight as I have an appt and my wife needs to do a bike threshold, so as soon as I get home I'm on cooking/cleaning/child duty. Tomorrow night I should be able to get another double in (thinking bike and run this time). Thursday we have open house for kindergarten - my baby girl is already going to be off to school in September, where the heck does the time go... Friday night after she's off to sleep I'm hitting the road to NH for a ski weekend. So if I can't count downhill skiing as a workout, I either need to cut out of work for an hour friday to go spin, or find out if the condo we're going to stay in has a gym, or.... I'm leaning towards the Friday spin but work has a way of adding meetings when I don't want or need them. This is life, this is how it goes all year round, and this is why I'm here - inspiration and ideas to not give up on training because life gets in the way!

(ps sorry for all the edits, it was blocking the 'a' word and so my message kept saying 'kicking Cynthia' - haha)

Edited by firebert 2015-01-20 10:00 AM
2015-01-20 10:11 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Im back home, will catch up on post later. Mark it was great to meet you and your lovely wife and be able to share a beer. was hoping to see you on race day , but we were in corral E and with my stop for a picture with Vader I am sure I never came close to catching you. I have to go tot work now but will post again when I get home.
2015-01-20 11:44 AM
in reply to: shackdogei

User image

congrats on your first race!

2015-01-20 11:44 AM

User image

congrats on your first race!

(vader.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
vader.jpg (2741KB - 3 downloads)

2015-01-20 12:05 PM

User image

ok my race report:

the flight to CA went well and we landed with no problems. Got checked into our hotel and met Mark and his wife to get a beer and some lunch. Then rode rides and walked around for the rest of Friday and all of Saturday. Sunday morning we got up early and took the bus to the park and walked over to the starting corral. We were stuck in the last corral which meant a lot of weaving to get though the crowd at the start of the race. I stayed with my wife for the first 3 miles which included the stop with vader (I stopped my watch for the line so I could have a semi accurate time). After that I would run ahead of my wife then wait for her at the water stations because my legs are so much longer so I was really cutting down my strides to run with her. At mile 6 or 7 I told her I would meet her at the end and starting running my pace. I still walked the water stations so I could drink water. finished in 2:01:55. I was hoping for under 2 but I'll take it. The toughest part was getting though the crowd. I was constantly stopping or breaking stride to get around people. I learned that next time I will put a time in so that I can start in one of the earlier corrals thereby having less people to get around. We walked back to our hotel (about a mile) after the race which allowed some of the lactic acid to dissipate (thankfully). I was able to continue walking around the park all day without leg pain so I feel that my fitness level was good for the race. I did get bored during the race while we were around town so I will have to work on my mental stamina some. I would defiantly do the race again and look forward to more Disney races.

One thing I would do different is that I would wait till after the race to enjoy the park so that my feet were not already sore from walking all day before I started the race.

I am trying to catch up on all that has been posted, but y'all have been busy 4 pages! Glad to see the new members.

(vader.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
vader.jpg (2741KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-20 1:35 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

DeLand, Florida
Scott - that's just awesome. What'd you do at mile 3, stop for water? No, stop for a selfie with the Lord of the Sith. Only Disney!

Dave (and anyone else local to eastern new enfgland) - there's a new option in town for a beer themed Half - Mayflower Brewing in Plymouth is doing one June 14th.

http://mayflowerbreweryhalf.com/
2015-01-20 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
John, I might kick back...ha ha!

I like the idea of a new challenge; 200 mins seems like we are doing massive amounts of time and I like taking a different perspective on measuring our goals; just to mix it up a bit.

2015-01-20 4:24 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks for the advice on brewing - will let you know once its done.

1 down 4 to go: 50min spinning tonight, hope get some real riding during the weekend.
2015-01-20 7:03 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
2 out of 5 done. I had to use a spinning bike since the exercise bikes were all taken. Boy was that thing uncomfortable. My desire to meet the challenge has helped me find a good way to sneak in 2 workouts a week in the early evening, so that's really going to help.

2015-01-20 7:24 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
3/5 (22/400)--30 min session on the trainer tonight with 30s intervals of high RPM
2015-01-20 7:59 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

2 out of 5 done. I had to use a spinning bike since the exercise bikes were all taken. Boy was that thing uncomfortable. My desire to meet the challenge has helped me find a good way to sneak in 2 workouts a week in the early evening, so that's really going to help.

Nice work! Amazing the power of the challenge!
2015-01-20 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Scott - that's just awesome. What'd you do at mile 3, stop for water? No, stop for a selfie with the Lord of the Sith. Only Disney!

Dave (and anyone else local to eastern new enfgland) - there's a new option in town for a beer themed Half - Mayflower Brewing in Plymouth is doing one June 14th.

Cool - A HM in June might be pushing it for me... especially with the calf strain. However, I could be pushed. Are you thinking about signing up?
2015-01-20 8:05 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

ok my race report:

the flight to CA went well and we landed with no problems. Got checked into our hotel and met Mark and his wife to get a beer and some lunch. Then rode rides and walked around for the rest of Friday and all of Saturday. Sunday morning we got up early and took the bus to the park and walked over to the starting corral. We were stuck in the last corral which meant a lot of weaving to get though the crowd at the start of the race. I stayed with my wife for the first 3 miles which included the stop with vader (I stopped my watch for the line so I could have a semi accurate time). After that I would run ahead of my wife then wait for her at the water stations because my legs are so much longer so I was really cutting down my strides to run with her. At mile 6 or 7 I told her I would meet her at the end and starting running my pace. I still walked the water stations so I could drink water. finished in 2:01:55. I was hoping for under 2 but I'll take it. The toughest part was getting though the crowd. I was constantly stopping or breaking stride to get around people. I learned that next time I will put a time in so that I can start in one of the earlier corrals thereby having less people to get around. We walked back to our hotel (about a mile) after the race which allowed some of the lactic acid to dissipate (thankfully). I was able to continue walking around the park all day without leg pain so I feel that my fitness level was good for the race. I did get bored during the race while we were around town so I will have to work on my mental stamina some. I would defiantly do the race again and look forward to more Disney races.

One thing I would do different is that I would wait till after the race to enjoy the park so that my feet were not already sore from walking all day before I started the race.

I am trying to catch up on all that has been posted, but y'all have been busy 4 pages! Glad to see the new members.

The force is strong in this one!

I was telling my wife that while I have zero interest in the races at Disney World (like the dopey) I would love to do the star wars races. Question - what was the medal?

Congrats!
2015-01-20 8:22 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jeakins

Big milestone this morning! Down 10 lb since I resumed strong focus on 5-Jan-15. Currently at 244 lb. Also down 0.6 in around the belly button! This is the year for better health

And I am killing it on the challange. Yesterday morning a swim, last night a ride on the trainer and this morning a 5 km run on the indoor track (however I shoudl have gone outside as it is fantasticly warm for calgary +1 C this morning) Personally I am moving my challange to 10 workouts this week.

Can I propose a challange for next week? (I know perhaps a bit early but this group is moving fast this year )

Please consider the challange for next week: 200 min workout. This can be S/B/R or weights or a sport but only if it gets you into your desired heart rate zone. I like to curl as much as the next canadian but honestly my heart rate probablly only gets up 2 or 3 times in a 2 hour game... it wouldn't count.

let me know what you all think.

keep pushing to all in the challange this week! 5 workouts and you still have the rest of today + 5 more days... you can do it!

10 pounds is quite the accomplishment. I'd say you deserve a reward. Let's go with your idea for the 200 min workout. The one thing I would suggest is that the 200 minutes doesn't have a heart rate requirement. I'm in desperate need of PT stretches and core work and would love some motivation to get those done.

Here's what you've lost!

(17e11248bcfc60406622e692dccdf013.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
17e11248bcfc60406622e692dccdf013.jpg (29KB - 4 downloads)

2015-01-20 8:25 PM

User image

first off sorry for the triple post. no idea what happen.

I am sold on trying the dopey and the goofy. I am a gluten for punishment. When my wife asked me why I was going to do a full ironman I answered "because the half didn't hurt as bad as I wanted it too".

Looks like we are doing a 5 day challenge. I'm in starting tomorrow. I have surgery Monday so I will have some down time from working out but I'll still post and do a better job of keeping up with everyone.

dave this is the medal

(medal.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
medal.jpg (3585KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-20 8:31 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by firebert

Cool - A HM in June might be pushing it for me... especially with the calf strain. However, I could be pushed. Are you thinking about signing up?

Haha- might be pushing it for me too, but then again I figured it's 6 months out still. How long does HM training require? Barring injury setbacks which I am determined to avoid this year!!!

Absolutely love the idea of PT exercises and core work as part of the 200 minutes - I NEED to get mine re-started. It's painfully obvious after only a couple runs that I'm in need.
2015-01-20 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
I gotta vent...because I'm super bummed right now.

We have been on the wait list to adopt a Golden Retriever with a local group for a few months. Finally got to meet one tonight, and he seemed like THE PERFECT DOG, for a while. Our kids are little (almost 2 and almost 4), and although he was very gentle most of the time, he tried humping them a couple times. Deal breaker. DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to have a fuzzy K9 running partner.

Ah well.

I'm in for whatever challenges are put forth. Bring on the pain!!! I don't miss workouts. I am a machine. I do NOT like Coors Light.

Hey, what's tomorrow?

HUMP DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL
2015-01-20 10:53 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Late start to the week for me. Had another Monday night emergency call into work. Already told the boss, no emergencies next week. We'll see.

1/5 for the week done, 20 min. easy Zone 2 run.

Regarding HR Zone training, there are several things you need to do.

First is make sure you have a good and clean HR strap. Body oil on the contact pads will throw off readings. Some straps are best cleaned by just wearing it into the shower and washing it just like you would your skin. Others, specifically the newer Garmin straps, say to remove the electronic center piece and throw it in the washing machine every 7 uses.

Second is to make sure you are using accurate heart rate zones specific to you. There is a lot of HR Zone formulas but one of the best discussions on which is best can be found here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Hope everyone has a good week and avoids the CLP.

Chris
2015-01-21 8:20 AM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
David - That pic is awesome

I am good with the 200 min challange being any phyiscal activity. S/B/R, strength, yoga, PT, whatever gets you up off the couch. Time to earn that fantistic Oatmeal Chocolate Stout sitting in the firdge waiting for me this friday! That is my reward.

So I made the 5 workout challange already So far 2 swims, 2 trainer rides and a 5 k run. I am going for 10 this week! next week will be a recovery week for me so I will take advantage of the 200 min challange for some strenght and streching, I may even try yoga!

2015-01-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!

I would love to join if there is still space! I was reading through the previous posts and think this group sounds super supportive and positive!

NAME: Nicole

STORY: I have lived in Baltimore for...wow, almost 7 years now I think. Weird. I grew up as an athlete, which included swimming (elementary school) and track and XC (high school and college), along with a lot of team sports. Once I stopped running, I knew I had to find a way to stay in shape, and wanted to 'tri' I kept making excuses though of why I didn't have enough time to train and blah blah blah. Last year I finally decided it was now or never, and I started training for my first sprint tri (I was a middle distance runner who was forced to run XC in college, haha, so not much of a distance person). I competed in 2 sprints last year and am totally hooked!

FAMILY STATUS: I am 30 and single, but have the best cat ever (Raven...not named after the Ravens, although I am a big fan!)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm getting back into the swing of things, although Disney World last week and Las Vegas this weekend are messing up my routine. I'm trying to build a good base through a weight class, a cycling class and swimming and running at least once a week. I will do more once my vacations are over!

2014 RACES: I competed in the Allatoona (GA) and Baltimore Tris, both sprints.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: I haven't actually planned which ones I will do this year, but I want to do at least 2 sprints. I would commit to more, but I have 4-5 weddings and don't know how many weekends I will actually have open.

BEER PREFERENCE: I do not like hoppy beers, so I am more of a light beer drinker (although I do HATE Coors light). I can usually find a good beer that I enjoy though, and love drinking with good people!

WEIGHT LOSS: I am up a bit higher than I would like to be. I want to drop 15 lbs, but my shorter term goal is 6-7 lbs.
2015-01-21 9:07 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

It's official! Me and my wife are going down to Phoenix the end of April for a week(no kids).

My wife has a three day fitness conference, so I am tagging along....

Now to see if it is cheaper to rent a bike or bring my bike down with me...decisions, decisions!

2015-01-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lots of posts!

Chris- Thank you for the HR info! Has anyone used a Mio or other wrist mounted HR monitor- I hate the chest straps- so looking at the newer alternatives.

Jeff- Holy Cow -10lbs is awesome! any tips on what worked best?

Scott- Nice race and pictures!

Kurt- that is such a bummer about the dog. I am a huge dog lover and luckily we have world's most docile lab/ weim mix. I call my daughter and the lab the two foot crew since they run around together everywhere (although that started a few years ago and doesn't fit as well now that my daughter is nearly 4 feet tall.) Do you have a prison training program? That's where we got our dog from and she is awesome. www.coloradoci.com look for K9 program - it's a great program.

Nicole- Welcome!

Thor- We were just talking about Sedona the last week of April- but my husband found frequent flyer tickets to Kauai and booked them- bummer- I would have loved to maybe bike along while you ran on a workout :-)

I'm personally thinking 200 minutes is a pretty big jump from this week's 5 x 20 minute minimum challenge- that's doubling. Not sure at this point in my season I'm ready to put in that much time (my training plan doesn't call for it for another 7 weeks). I really want to avoid burn out or injury early on. Then again I like PBR
2015-01-21 10:28 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Moonrocket Lots of posts! Chris- Thank you for the HR info! Has anyone used a Mio or other wrist mounted HR monitor- I hate the chest straps- so looking at the newer alternatives. Jeff- Holy Cow -10lbs is awesome! any tips on what worked best? Scott- Nice race and pictures! Kurt- that is such a bummer about the dog. I am a huge dog lover and luckily we have world's most docile lab/ weim mix. I call my daughter and the lab the two foot crew since they run around together everywhere (although that started a few years ago and doesn't fit as well now that my daughter is nearly 4 feet tall.) Do you have a prison training program? That's where we got our dog from and she is awesome. www.coloradoci.com look for K9 program - it's a great program. Nicole- Welcome! Thor- We were just talking about Sedona the last week of April- but my husband found frequent flyer tickets to Kauai and booked them- bummer- I would have loved to maybe bike along while you ran on a workout :-) I'm personally thinking 200 minutes is a pretty big jump from this week's 5 x 20 minute minimum challenge- that's doubling. Not sure at this point in my season I'm ready to put in that much time (my training plan doesn't call for it for another 7 weeks). I really want to avoid burn out or injury early on. Then again I like PBR

You would be in for slow bike ride...Kauai or Phoenix...yup, I think Kauai would win out!

For you...100 minutes of swim and 100 minutes of run/bike...easy for you...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54692 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.