BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-05 3:01 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
You rock!!! Well done!!! You met or exceeded two of your goals and your run - it seems like you knew exactly what you could do! Onward and upward!

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hey All

I had my indoor tri this morning (10 min swim, 20 min bike, 15 min run). It was great. I won my age group!!!! Never thought that would happen, and I owe you all a big thank you for your support. It has really helped me with my consistency over the last couple of months. I wrote a race report (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=529633). I met my swim goal, beat my bike goal by almost 3 "miles" and just missed my run goal (0.09 miles short). I'm okay with missing that goal though, because I ran the fastest I've ever run today.

Afterwards I did another bike and another run workout, just because I had about 90 minutes to burn before the awards ceremony.

Today is my wife's birthday, so we went out to lunch after the race--BBQ, and a lot of it. We are slated to get bad weather here today, so we've tucked ourselves away at home with Game of Thrones season 4 on DVD. She's happy with this and so am I. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2015-03-05 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Hi Jana,
I'm late to the party answering your questions and i know a few others have already done so, but in my one whole year of participating in tris, I can tell you what I've learned and what i wish i had known. LOL

1. i did get a road bike last spring as I only have my mountain bike from college days - late 80's. I decided a road bike was more practical than a tri bike as i could use it for everything.
A good pair of swim goggles are definitely key and i will admit I love my wetsuit. The buoyancy alone is worth it! Xterra has great deals and you can get a full suit for pretty cheap. i have the Vortex 4 and I like it.
Obviously a good pair of running shoes. I found with speed laces I can get through T2 in less than a minute easily.
Finally I like a race belt for my number that clips in the back so you can put the number on in advance and just clip it on for the run. If you notice in my profile picture - this was my first tri and I'm wearing my number on the bike - don't do that. LOL That's a newbie error. You have a number on your bike already and often you'll get a numbered sticker for your helmet. Put your race belt on after the bike for the run.

2. A friend of mine borrows a bike every year for a specific sprint she does. She doesn't bike a lot so doesn't even own one. I knew I'd be biking a lot so I bit the bullet and got one.

3. I have just used the BT plans here and modified them per my personal fitness. For my HIM I'm looking at three different plans to see how they differ and how they'll work for my schedule.

Hope this helps a little. Don't get too caught up in it - this is probably the most cost crazy sport I've ever been involved in but hold yourself back a little on the toys and just enjoy that first go at it, observe what others do, and smile....there's a beer at the finish line!

Originally posted by jeverett724

Hey everyone! I'm new to the group. I'm a rower turned runner. I've done 4 half marathons and I'm looking to get into triathlons. I'm a good swimmer and biker who just needs a training regimen.

A few questions!

1. When you first started training for triathlons, what tools really worked for you?

2. How much do you recommend investing in gear for the first time around? My bike isn't exactly new or fancy.

3. What's your favorite training plan/guide?

Re: beer - My roommate and I discovered we love beer during our junior year of college and we have an annual holiday celebrating that revelation. I love saisons and sours and I'm on a red ale kick lately. I'm saving up for a kegerator so I don't have to leave my apartment to have a good beer on tap.

Looking forward to participating!
Jana

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-03-05 3:19 PM
2015-03-05 7:10 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Thanks Jenn,

I am using the Silver member 20 week HIM plan. It seems the most balanced of the plans and doesn't require those ungodly AM sessions. Even on days that call for 2 workouts, I can either split them up before and after dinner or do them as a BRICK. My goal is 5:59:59.99.

That's pretty cool that you know of my hometown. I usually just tell people I live about 45 minutes south of Tampa, near the Gulf. Hey, even if not this year, keep me in mind the next time you're down this way. There are some great SBR locations near AMI.

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Chris!! You rock!! Well done!! Which plan are you using again? I think I asked you once already but i forgot. My HIM is at the end of June and right now I'm just using the BT one.
Also, I just noticed you're in Bradenton! When we vacation we like to get a house on Anna Maria Island!! Small world! I'm bummed we're not going this year or we could have met up for an ows or run or something! At the very least, a beer!!

Originally posted by cwpeters

I hate to sound like I'm rubbing salt in open wounds, but I had a great workout today. As part of my HIM training plan, today was a 5 mile time trial on the bike. I planned my route so that I was riding into the wind for the 5 mile TT so that I wouldn't have a wind aided speed. I was hoping for a 20 mph average and went as hard as I could for the entire distance. I felt like I held my aero-position well, maintained cadence, and still had a little left at the end. When I got back to the truck and checked my splits, I managed to hold 21.2 mph for the TT!

I know the work has been done by me, but the motivation has come from all of you guys and gals. In 2 months, I've already biked and ran a third of what I did all of last year. I've dropped 15 pounds. I've reconnected with a group ride that kicks my butt every Monday night. I've started taking yoga, which I really think helped to allow me to stay in the tucked position for the entire TT. So while I'm very happy with my progress, I know it's the accountability that this group provides that is driving my success.

Thank you all!!!

2015-03-05 7:26 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
I know I'm a week late on the race schedule/motivation/rewards discussion but I just pulled the trigger today on the HIM I was targeting. So now there is a tangible goal out there for me to see, May 24th, 70.3 miles, 5:59:59.99 or less on the clock.

I know from past experiences that I need a race on the calendar to stay focused and a reward planned for reaching goals. Some of the rewards I'm using for weight loss goals are, signing up for my HIM (check), a road bike (I have a hybrid and a tri bike), a new suit, and a weekend with the wife (without kids or a race). Most of these are 15 to 20 pound losses, so it's not like I'm getting a bike for losing 5 pounds. I will also throw in smaller rewards in between these major ones.
2015-03-05 9:41 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in: Our stupid snow storm closed the YMCA today. I'm ready for spring. Yesterday and today all I did was my plank challenge. I suppose my body could use the rest. But I was looking forward to my ride and run today. I was going to brave the roads no matter what if they were open.

Shirt Update: No new info

Today I Learned:
- I get annoyed when I don't get my workout in.
- I get short tempered when I'm low on sleep.
- I don't eat the way I should when the above two items happen.

I need to keep up my routine, that's for sure. A few more days of this and I could see myself dropping back into my old bad patterns. I don't view this as a bad day though because this whole process is a learning experience. This was a day to learn about my behavior. I've been reading up as much as I can about negative behaviors like this. This is one of those days that happen...I understand they happen and I need to not let it snowball. Instead of keeping this to myself, I thought this might be good to put in here. Others might read this and recognize some of themselves and see they aren't alone.

DQ mentions the fire analogy. Motivation, determination, and will power may be the kindling but the fire can't live on that alone. That gets it started, but the more I look at how I operate, the more I see that the real fuel is routine, goals, support, and forgiving yourself when you slip up. How's that for deep thoughts on a Thursday night?

Back to the grind tomorrow (which is usually a day off).

Edited by Snewo 2015-03-06 12:21 AM
2015-03-06 8:51 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by adempsey10

Check in:

I hit a new PB in 5 second sprint power yesterday. 1137 watts. 

I love MyFitnessPal. I've used other trackers in the past (namely the livestrong tracker) but this one is definitely the best so far. I also find I'm more accountable now. The last few pounds I need to lose to be as lean as I want to be will be really tough and MFP seems to have made it a little easier to quantify what I need to do to get there. 

Other than that, I'm just plugging away at my training. 

Nice numbers. Very nice. Stripping off those last pounds is so hard, there's zero wiggle room.

Reminds me - I saw a youtube video (can't find it now) - they had a non-cyclist weight-lifter/runner type guy on a computrainer, and they challenged him to hold pro-tour level watts/kg for 30 seconds(i.e., 600 watts), which he failed to do. So I decided to try it. Turns out that, spinning a 50x11, it takes something like 105rpm to push that through my Cycleops Fluid 2, and there's just not enough quad engagement for me to lay down 250% FTP at that cadence. Fun test though

2015-03-06 9:24 AM
in reply to: jeverett724

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by jeverett724

1. When you first started training for triathlons, what tools really worked for you?

2. How much do you recommend investing in gear for the first time around? My bike isn't exactly new or fancy.

3. What's your favorite training plan/guide?

My approach is to try to assimilate all the relevant data, find the commonalities, and then apply them to me. Every plan or program is going to have a core of the sameness - periodization, recovery and taper, and the like. Once you understand that commonality, the rest is all personal preference and optimization. For swimming, joining a master's program was a great investment for me, since it committed me to swimming, and swimming hard, three or four days a week. For cycling, Trainer Road - seeing the numbers on the screen and having the workout planned keeps me honest and on track. Running was just enjoyable, even though now I'm struggling with it (since it's currently six degrees here and I can't run outside).

Bikes are a tough question. If I was just going to pick a roadbike for someone, and they didn't want to fall down the rabbit hole and learn about bikes, then they should look to spend $1,000 to $1,500, buy from a reputable shop, and go from there. Some shops will offer complimentary derailleur adjustment and the like for a year or the life of the bike if you buy it from them, and that's the real benefit. I'd look for a carbon fiber fork, an aluminium or carbon frame, 105-level shifters, an preferably an Ultegra rear derailleur, and a compact crankset (or preferably an Ultegra 6800, since you can run any chainring size on it) with at least a 10-speed rear cassette.

These recommendations are designed to allow for good wear-and-tear, upgradeability, and general useage. For example, if you have an 8- or 9-speed rear, you're going to have problems finding cassettes with different gearing, and once you upgrade to better set, your old gear is obsolete and gathers dust. An 11-speed rear is better, but runs into the opposite problem - you might have to pass on a good deal since your 11-speed wouldn't be backwards compatible. Trickle-down tech is getting crazy in bike gear - the new Ultegra stuff is better than the Dura-Ace stuff from five years ago - so older stuff works fine, but still obsolete and junky compared to the new stuff.

Your best investment is a friend who knows bikes and can help you pick something out.

For me personally, I have a $500 aluminum road bike that I got used off of Craigslist, with an 8-speed rear and Sora components. I have beat the snot out of it, and it's still a solid-performing bike. Of course, I've re-cabled it, bought a new wheelset when I started breaking spokes on the old set, and the dereailluers are still finicky and the rub on the low side. In short, over two years, I've spent ~$1,000 on an obsolete but solid bike.

My triathlon bike is a 2013 Felt B2, with an Ultegra 6800 crank upgrade, and Di2 electronic shifting, 10-speed. I don't say how much I spent; I got a deal, but I still spent a year saving for her. She's fast, sleek, and an utter joy to ride. Yes, she is a "her," she has a name, and she's currently in my spare bedroom since I don't want to leave it in my unlocked garage.

For my next bike, I'll probably have a friend of my build-up a Chinese frameset to my personal specs. But that comes with real warranty and no store-support, so if it needs adjustment or I break something, I can't go into the store and say "um, this broke . . .".

For Shimano components, Sora>Tiagra > 105 > Ultegra > Dura-Ace.

For training plans, I like to use Trainer Road for the cycling stuff, since they have so many plans to choose from. I learned enough from masters to mostly structure my own swim workouts, and running is running - I like Jeff Galloway's stuff, or Hal Higdon's free plans.

The only thing I don't have is a decent functional strength plan that I can stick with - I keep starting and abandoning them.

I hope that helps
2015-03-06 11:51 AM

User image

I know I'm a week late on the race schedule/motivation/rewards discussion but I just pulled the trigger today on the HIM I was targeting. So now there is a tangible goal out there for me to see, May 24th, 70.3 miles, 5:59:59.99 or less on the clock.

I know from past experiences that I need a race on the calendar to stay focused and a reward planned for reaching goals. Some of the rewards I'm using for weight loss goals are, signing up for my HIM (check), a road bike (I have a hybrid and a tri bike), a new suit, and a weekend with the wife (without kids or a race). Most of these are 15 to 20 pound losses, so it's not like I'm getting a bike for losing 5 pounds. I will also throw in smaller rewards in between these major ones.

Well done. You know what motivates you and did it. I'm the same way I can not get truly motivated till I have a race on the calander. Keep us posted.
2015-03-06 12:15 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon
Originally posted by jeverett724 1. When you first started training for triathlons, what tools really worked for you? 2. How much do you recommend investing in gear for the first time around? My bike isn't exactly new or fancy. 3. What's your favorite training plan/guide?

Bikes are a tough question. If I was just going to pick a roadbike for someone, and they didn't want to fall down the rabbit hole and learn about bikes, then they should look to spend $1,000 to $1,500, buy from a reputable shop, and go from there. Some shops will offer complimentary derailleur adjustment and the like for a year or the life of the bike if you buy it from them, and that's the real benefit. I'd look for a carbon fiber fork, an aluminium or carbon frame, 105-level shifters, an preferably an Ultegra rear derailleur, and a compact crankset (or preferably an Ultegra 6800, since you can run any chainring size on it) with at least a 10-speed rear cassette. These recommendations are designed to allow for good wear-and-tear, upgradeability, and general useage.

I'll second this notion. In a few weeks time, (maybe even now), LBS's will start selling off last year's models for good prices. You might be able to get a carbon bike for the same as an aluminum frame (my carbon bike with 105 components was 1900 CAD on clearance and it's my race bike). I find most folks getting into triathlon often want to jump right into the aero/TT bike market but I recommend against this for a number of reasons:

1) A road bike is more versatile. You will be greatly disappointed if you start doing group rides and you're told that the TT/aero bike is not allowed (not safe to ride in a pack, or so they say). You can ride as aggressive or as leisurely as you want on a road bike. TT bikes not so much.

2) Just starting out you will get absolutely zero aero advantage from a TT bike. The bike itself is actually WAY far down on the list of things that have a great effect on aerodynamics. Until you get an aero helmet and get your aero position worked out, the bike won't be of any benefit. Getting an aero framed bike is, with respect to drag, akin to wearing a skin suit or covering your shoes and other minute aero advantages. Position, helmet, wheels: the three biggest things when it comes to aerodynamics; everything else and you're talking fractions of a percent in drag reduction. That being said, I do recommend buying clip on aerobars for your road bike so you can start working on your position. But even then unless you think you can hold 18mph for the bike leg, you're probably just better off riding the hoods until you develop your engine. 

Most important when choosing a bike is comfort. Some people want to be aggressive and hardcore right off the hop and in doing that one must sacrifice comfort (my TT position is not at all comfortable but it's lightning quick). You need to fall in the love with the bike first, otherwise you'll never want to ride it. Comfort is a big part of that. 

Now all that being said, no one will blame if you see a shiny carbon fibre fast-as-hell looking aero bike sitting in your LBS and you absolutely have to have it. We've all been down that road... 

2015-03-06 12:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon  

Nice numbers. Very nice. Stripping off those last pounds is so hard, there's zero wiggle room. Reminds me - I saw a youtube video (can't find it now) - they had a non-cyclist weight-lifter/runner type guy on a computrainer, and they challenged him to hold pro-tour level watts/kg for 30 seconds(i.e., 600 watts), which he failed to do. So I decided to try it. Turns out that, spinning a 50x11, it takes something like 105rpm to push that through my Cycleops Fluid 2, and there's just not enough quad engagement for me to lay down 250% FTP at that cadence. Fun test though

I usually run a smaller gear with higher cadence when I get up into those numbers. I'm not sure of the exact gear but my best 30 second power is 743watts and that's at around 125rpm. Anything less and I'm certain my knee caps would pop off and take out one of the dogs... 

Edited by adempsey10 2015-03-06 12:36 PM
2015-03-06 3:44 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Finally back around after a bout of snow/ice at our house that left us without power for a while and no internet for longer. Did manage to get in a nice trainer ride yesterday on my first snow day in about 10 years (university occasionally closes, but never on a day I teach!, but yesterday was my day!). Today I went for a 3.57mi run (78/400) with the dog. We had to walk in a few spots because the road still had ice and/or snow cover in the areas shaded by large trees, but other than that it was great to be outside in the sunshine. I am so over winter it isn't even funny.

What's on tap for the weekend everyone?

2015-03-06 3:47 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Originally posted by Snewo Check-in: Our stupid snow storm closed the YMCA today. I'm ready for spring. Yesterday and today all I did was my plank challenge. I suppose my body could use the rest. But I was looking forward to my ride and run today. I was going to brave the roads no matter what if they were open. Shirt Update: No new info Today I Learned: - I get annoyed when I don't get my workout in. - I get short tempered when I'm low on sleep. - I don't eat the way I should when the above two items happen. I need to keep up my routine, that's for sure. A few more days of this and I could see myself dropping back into my old bad patterns. I don't view this as a bad day though because this whole process is a learning experience. This was a day to learn about my behavior. I've been reading up as much as I can about negative behaviors like this. This is one of those days that happen...I understand they happen and I need to not let it snowball. Instead of keeping this to myself, I thought this might be good to put in here. Others might read this and recognize some of themselves and see they aren't alone. DQ mentions the fire analogy. Motivation, determination, and will power may be the kindling but the fire can't live on that alone. That gets it started, but the more I look at how I operate, the more I see that the real fuel is routine, goals, support, and forgiving yourself when you slip up. How's that for deep thoughts on a Thursday night? Back to the grind tomorrow (which is usually a day off).

It's amazing too how much things like sleep, fatigue and bad eating can affect motivation. A failure in any of those things can alter my mood and drain the will power to get on the bike right out of me. Keep at it. It takes some time for a routine to become second nature but once it is, doing your workouts will just be a regular part of life, not an interruption. 

2015-03-06 6:10 PM

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen - welcome back! (you just got back from Egypt, right?) Yes, I'm over winter too....that being said...

Skiing is on tap for this weekend!! Whoop, whoop!

Plank and squat challenge done (actually it was a rest day for the planks for me). got in 1850 in the pool. a nice mixed workout. I feel content and ready for sleep tonight.
Tomorrow I'll try to get in a trainer ride before hitting the mountain but I don't know that it's wise - don't want to fatigue my legs and do something stupid skiing. Half day ski planned for Saturday and a full day of skiing for Sunday.
So...I assume skiing can count as a workout? We ski woods and bumps and I am trashed by the end of the day and my legs really feel it. I have been skiing while on my rest days which may be why I'm pooped. LOL
A great week so far for workouts (though today's was supposed to be a double). In 5 days i have 6 workouts in.

Per Dave Q's request, here's a picture from today - complete with a black and tan in a vintage 70's beer glass. LOL Now, on to watching some old Magnum PI reruns...

(Snow and beer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Snow and beer.jpg (46KB - 3 downloads)
2015-03-06 10:30 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-In: Now 5/? after 9.64 mi biking and 3.1 running tonight. Day 6 is a day off on the planking challenge. I wasn't thrilled with the quality of my workout today, but it counts. I'm planning a swim tomorrow and a LSD run Sunday. I'll see how I feel for those. I'll try to remember to take a pic.

Shirt Update: I didn't hear from them today, so I sent them an email asking if they had an update. I suspect we will have more info early next week.

MoJo Update: Thankfully I don't think I lost my desire to get out there and keep on plugging away. The weight loss is helping keep me going. My pants fit...

2015-03-07 9:12 AM
in reply to: #5075170

New user
Sumter, South Carolina
Just checking in. No workouts this week. It was scheduled as an active recovery week, but has been inactive due to a sinus infection cough thing I can't seem to kick. At the doc now hoping to be back in the swing of things Monday. I feel like I've been getting sick, being sick or recovering for the past month solid. I'm over it.
2015-03-07 10:03 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Great to have someone in the group with similar goal for a race at almost same time: I would like to be under 6h in my HIM on May 31st, so will keep an eye on your training.

I keep hearing about the snow and cold weather, and living in Spain is difficult to understand how much of a headache it can be for motivation and training. i came to NY for work for a couple days, and after landing in JFK on Thursday nigh and stay 3 hours inside the plane as we could not go out due to weather conditions, and not being to go for a run anywhere else than the hotel gym, I understand you much better - so I had a couple Brooklyn lagers to celebrate.

Juan

Thanks Jenn,

I am using the Silver member 20 week HIM plan. It seems the most balanced of the plans and doesn't require those ungodly AM sessions. Even on days that call for 2 workouts, I can either split them up before and after dinner or do them as a BRICK. My goal is 5:59:59.99.

2015-03-07 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5098671

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
One hour of mind numbing boredom on the trainer followed by a two mile brick run (79 & 80/400) this morning. My Garmin was on crack this morning. I've been having issues with it for a while. I can't get the speed sensor on the bike to register any distance on the trainer. I know it isn,t really a good metric, but it is really disheatening to ride for an hour and have it say you went 0 miles. I changed the battery and it still doesn't work. It will track cadence, but not speed, which it did last year no problem. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this?
2015-03-07 11:14 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove One hour of mind numbing boredom on the trainer followed by a two mile brick run (79 & 80/400) this morning. My Garmin was on crack this morning. I've been having issues with it for a while. I can't get the speed sensor on the bike to register any distance on the trainer. I know it isn,t really a good metric, but it is really disheatening to ride for an hour and have it say you went 0 miles. I changed the battery and it still doesn't work. It will track cadence, but not speed, which it did last year no problem. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this?

Has it ever worked on the trainer or just when riding outside? If the latter, it's possible that the speed sensor may have been faulty from the get go. If your Garmin has GPS and does not pick up a signal from the speed sensor it will automatically flip over to using the GPS data for speed and distance. You can usually tell which it's reading from if when stopped the speed occasionally registers some small amount (0.1 - 0.4 kph), this usually means it's running off the GPS data. Otherwise it's probably an alignment issue. The Garmin speed/cadence combo sensors can be finicky to get both aligned correctly. Also, this might sound silly but check the spoke magnet. I've spent hours playing with the sensor trying to get a signal only to realize the spoke magnet has been flipped around backwards. 

2015-03-07 11:17 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Originally posted by Snewo Check-In: Now 5/? after 9.64 mi biking and 3.1 running tonight. Day 6 is a day off on the planking challenge. I wasn't thrilled with the quality of my workout today, but it counts. I'm planning a swim tomorrow and a LSD run Sunday. I'll see how I feel for those. I'll try to remember to take a pic. Shirt Update: I didn't hear from them today, so I sent them an email asking if they had an update. I suspect we will have more info early next week. MoJo Update: Thankfully I don't think I lost my desire to get out there and keep on plugging away. The weight loss is helping keep me going. My pants fit...

Nice kilt, Btw. I have an assortment of my own that I've been known to break out now and then.. 

2015-03-07 11:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by jeverett724   Back to Alan: as I mentioned with the nutrition, I'd love to know what sort of resources you used to learn all you know about nutrition and training. I would love to understand it more. I learned a little about anaerobic/aerobic zones during rowing training, but nothing comprehensive.  

I've been trying to go over all my sources to find out from where I got what but it's been difficult. Here's a fairly comprehensive list of sources I've used. 

For training plans and performance stuff:

Joe Friel's Cyclist Training Bible (I have the tri bible but I never use it)

Joe Friel's Going Long (Specifically tailored to Ironman training)

Base Buiding for Cyclists

Training With Power (Hunter and Coggan)

For sport specific stuff:

Swimming

Mostly youtube videos that offer analysis of the front crawl technique

The ironman website has some articles for breathing techniques that I really liked. 

Running

For tri specific running I used Going Long. 

For running in general I can't remember, been running to long to remember where I got my info from

For injury prevention I found a PDF article for stabilization exercises (i'll try to attach it to this post). (Couldn't attach it, but here's the link:   https://www.princeton.edu/uhs/pdfs/PelStabHip-StrenPro.pdf 

Cycling

Mostly already listed above. 

For Nutrition

I definitely did not use Joe Friel's diet recommendations. He's a big time supporter of the paleo diet, which in my opinion is absolutely absurd. I can elaborate on that if anyone is interested. 

I did use his stuff on planning out general dietary things like number of carbs, fat and protein, etc. As for doubling down on protein to prevent muscles loss when losing weight, that came from an article in FASEB. I don't know that the general public has access to it. I got it because I have magical graduate student library access powers. 

Generally though my dissemination of knowledge has largely been a marriage of internet scouring and source criticism (i.e. making sure that things I read are properly sourced not based on BroScience). 

Here's a bunch of links I thought were useful when Ironman training:

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/962_popular-metabolism-myths-part-2.html

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2013/10/daily-hydration.aspx#axzz2p9vxQ3Ht

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/08/zesorb-nutrition-training-and-racing.aspx#axzz2p9vxQ3Ht

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/08/training/how-to-nail-the-ironman-marathon_6407

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2013/09/a-triathletes-guide-to-sugar.aspx#axzz2p9vxQ3Ht

Edited by adempsey10 2015-03-07 11:41 AM
2015-03-07 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I love this cookbook which was written by one of the chefs for a pro cycling group in Boulder
http://www.amazon.com/The-Feed-Zone-Cookbook-Flavorful/dp/193403076...

They have some interesting viewpoints (Chicken thighs are better than breasts since there are so many more minerals etc that the small amount of additional fat is really offset with nutritional value.) It's a very interesting read and all of the recipes I've made are really good- I've even served some to friends for dinner.)

They have a new one about real food on the go that I don't have yet- but really like the principle of -- Thor this makes me think of you and your smoked salmon.

http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Zone-Portables-Cookbook--Go/dp/193771500...

I just went for an extra run- only 1.2 miles- trying to avoid injury- but it's 3 for the week of runs- which is a huge step up- as is the concept that I would just throw one in.

Now to find my swimming mojo...

2015-03-07 2:30 PM
in reply to: Qua17

Hey All-

Busy week. Can only check in when I can. Finally made it to spring break, but not much spring here in Michigan yet.

Off to do my first race of the season bright and early tomorrow. It's a 10K about 1 hour from where I live. I'll also pick up a bike trainer from a friend on the way back. Hoping to get some more training in before school picks back up and the crunch of finals arrive faster than I realize.

Keep on plugging away everyone. It'll help for us northerners when the snow goes away!!

Pete
2015-03-07 3:36 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Originally posted by Moonrocket I love this cookbook which was written by one of the chefs for a pro cycling group in Boulder http://www.amazon.com/The-Feed-Zone-Cookbook-Flavorful/dp/193403076... They have some interesting viewpoints (Chicken thighs are better than breasts since there are so many more minerals etc that the small amount of additional fat is really offset with nutritional value.) It's a very interesting read and all of the recipes I've made are really good- I've even served some to friends for dinner.) They have a new one about real food on the go that I don't have yet- but really like the principle of -- Thor this makes me think of you and your smoked salmon. http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Zone-Portables-Cookbook--Go/dp/193771500... I just went for an extra run- only 1.2 miles- trying to avoid injury- but it's 3 for the week of runs- which is a huge step up- as is the concept that I would just throw one in. Now to find my swimming mojo...

I've got the Feedzone too. I like that one a lot. Sweet potato tacos are one my favourite post ride meals. 

2015-03-07 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by jeverett724   Back to Alan: as I mentioned with the nutrition, I'd love to know what sort of resources you used to learn all you know about nutrition and training. I would love to understand it more. I learned a little about anaerobic/aerobic zones during rowing training, but nothing comprehensive.  

I've been trying to go over all my sources to find out from where I got what but it's been difficult. Here's a fairly comprehensive list of sources I've used. 

For training plans and performance stuff:

Joe Friel's Cyclist Training Bible (I have the tri bible but I never use it)

Joe Friel's Going Long (Specifically tailored to Ironman training)

Base Buiding for Cyclists

Training With Power (Hunter and Coggan)

For sport specific stuff:

Swimming

Mostly youtube videos that offer analysis of the front crawl technique

The ironman website has some articles for breathing techniques that I really liked. 

Running

For tri specific running I used Going Long. 

For running in general I can't remember, been running to long to remember where I got my info from

For injury prevention I found a PDF article for stabilization exercises (i'll try to attach it to this post). (Couldn't attach it, but here's the link:   https://www.princeton.edu/uhs/pdfs/PelStabHip-StrenPro.pdf )

Cycling

Mostly already listed above. 

For Nutrition

I definitely did not use Joe Friel's diet recommendations. He's a big time supporter of the paleo diet, which in my opinion is absolutely absurd. I can elaborate on that if anyone is interested. 

I did use his stuff on planning out general dietary things like number of carbs, fat and protein, etc. As for doubling down on protein to prevent muscles loss when losing weight, that came from an article in FASEB. I don't know that the general public has access to it. I got it because I have magical graduate student library access powers. 

Generally though my dissemination of knowledge has largely been a marriage of internet scouring and source criticism (i.e. making sure that things I read are properly sourced not based on BroScience). 

Here's a bunch of links I thought were useful when Ironman training:

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/962_popular-metabolism-myths-part-2.html

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2013/10/daily-hydration.aspx#axzz2p9vxQ3Ht

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/08/zesorb-nutrition-training-and-racing.aspx#axzz2p9vxQ3Ht

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/08/training/how-to-nail-the-ironman-marathon_6407

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2013/09/a-triathletes-guide-to-sugar.aspx#axzz2p9vxQ3Ht

See - I wasn't kidding when I wrote that the BDAS got a little better and more knowledgeable when Alan rejoined us!
2015-03-07 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Gretchen - welcome back! (you just got back from Egypt, right?) Yes, I'm over winter too....that being said...

Skiing is on tap for this weekend!! Whoop, whoop!

Plank and squat challenge done (actually it was a rest day for the planks for me). got in 1850 in the pool. a nice mixed workout. I feel content and ready for sleep tonight.
Tomorrow I'll try to get in a trainer ride before hitting the mountain but I don't know that it's wise - don't want to fatigue my legs and do something stupid skiing. Half day ski planned for Saturday and a full day of skiing for Sunday.
So...I assume skiing can count as a workout? We ski woods and bumps and I am trashed by the end of the day and my legs really feel it. I have been skiing while on my rest days which may be why I'm pooped. LOL
A great week so far for workouts (though today's was supposed to be a double). In 5 days i have 6 workouts in.

Per Dave Q's request, here's a picture from today - complete with a black and tan in a vintage 70's beer glass. LOL Now, on to watching some old Magnum PI reruns...

Jenn - I love the picture as much as you seem to be enjoying your black and tan! Let's all keep post them!

Congrats on a great week!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54601 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.