BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-04-21 6:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
well done alan.

I got some of my stuff from a web site called the . They have some deals from time to time, but it is hit or miss. I also ordered some on amazon. I have tried several zoot/surgio/x2/cwx but the ones I like and will use from now on are Orca 226.

brick for the day is done.

Edited by b2b14 2015-04-21 8:10 AM

2015-04-21 7:33 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Amazing! Nice job, Alan, these are awesome photos, and it's great to hear you are doing so well!
2015-04-21 7:51 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Well done Alan!

Back home and back into my routines, modified slightly by jetlag. Sunday was travel all day (44:45:xx to get home door to door--long trip) and then yesterday I was just so beaten up by the travel that I took a rest day. Up bright an early this morning for my normal spin class (139/400). Happy to find that even without having been within 100yds of a bicycle in over a month, I feel good after my class. Feeling like I won't fall off the bike during my tri this weekend. Tomorrow I MUST get to the pool. It is only 150m swim, but I want to make sure I remember how to swim before the race. My parents are coming to watch, so I don't want to embarrass myself!

Happy Training!
2015-04-21 8:09 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

We used to use Calgon, of course this was in the late 70's early 80's. I believe it was a water softener...

Bad news...all tri shorts will be give you a muffin top unless you have a 6pack. Tri shorts are meant to be very snug otherwise you run the risk of losing them in the swim or worse chafing!!

Originally posted by Snewo Check-in Today was the second of 2 days of swim workouts. I'm limiting myself to the pool for workouts this week. Tomorrow is going to be just walking on the treadmill since I know my daughter/personal trainer is going to drag me to the YMCA again. Stretching What I have been doing other than running is stretching. My upper back (between the shoulder blades) has been hurting as of late. I'm 99% sure I'm just really tight since this whole "exercising the upper body" thing is new. My stretching has been helping a bunch. I'm going to try to incorporate it into my daily routine. Maybe my posture will improve too. Hair On a related note, boy do they use a ton of chlorine in the pool at the Y. My hair was getting destroyed. I tried a few tricks, wetting hair first, rinsing immediately after the swim, baking soda paste, conditioner, etc. In the end I just went with the short haircut. It's been a while since it's been this short. I like it. I'm more streamlined now. I'm going to pass on the swim cap at the moment....I DO realize that's the answer. Clothes I bought a pair of tri shorts since I'm going to be needing a pair soon. I did the internet thing and I now realize that X-Large doesn't mean the same thing in China that is means is other parts of the world. Bad News: I could show you the definition of muffin top. Good News: I now have motivation to try to lose more weight before the primary tri in August. I need to get a pair for the June sprint though, can I buy them at Dick's so that I can try them on first? I found this funny, so I thought I should share: http://trstriathlon.com/a-triathletes-guide-to-recruitment/

2015-04-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Have a great race!

Originally posted by drfoodlove Well done Alan! Back home and back into my routines, modified slightly by jetlag. Sunday was travel all day (44:45:xx to get home door to door--long trip) and then yesterday I was just so beaten up by the travel that I took a rest day. Up bright an early this morning for my normal spin class (139/400). Happy to find that even without having been within 100yds of a bicycle in over a month, I feel good after my class. Feeling like I won't fall off the bike during my tri this weekend. Tomorrow I MUST get to the pool. It is only 150m swim, but I want to make sure I remember how to swim before the race. My parents are coming to watch, so I don't want to embarrass myself! Happy Training!

2015-04-21 9:25 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by Snewo Check-in T

Hair On a related note, boy do they use a ton of chlorine in the pool at the Y. My hair was getting destroyed. I tried a few tricks, wetting hair first, rinsing immediately after the swim, baking soda paste, conditioner, etc. In the end I just went with the short haircut. It's been a while since it's been this short. I like it. I'm more streamlined now. I'm going to pass on the swim cap at the moment....I DO realize that's the answer.

Clothes I bought a pair of tri shorts since I'm going to be needing a pair soon. I did the internet thing and I now realize that X-Large doesn't mean the same thing in China that is means is other parts of the world. Bad News: I could show you the definition of muffin top. Good News: I now have motivation to try to lose more weight before the primary tri in August. I need to get a pair for the June sprint though, can I buy them at Dick's so that I can try them on first? I found this funny, so I thought I should share: http://trstriathlon.com/a-triathletes-guide-to-recruitment/

On Hair:  Conditioner.  I hate to say it, but even with my "#3 on top/#2 on the sides" crew cut, it's all about conditioner.  My swim bag always has a bottle of 2-1 or combo wash in it for just that reason, and I always use my wife's conditioner in the next shower.

On tri shorts:  I actually prefer tri-bibs, since they hold some of the muffin-top in.  I ran IMWI in them.  I really, really like my Desotos too.  They've got men's medium in black/graphite for $90 on clearance.  I wear a medium at 6'2" and ~190lbs, even if the seem stitches give a few groans of grief as I get into them.  Sizing is similar to Pearl Izumi.  Yes, they are pricey, but they're really, really good and worth it.  

2015-04-21 9:50 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

New user
Madrid
Happy day yesterday when I saw my FedEx package in my office here in Madrid, Spain....and got my bike shirt, niiiiiiice! Fits perfect! Will post a picture with my first ride. (thanks again, Dave)

Alan, great race pictures and seems that your strategy of moving by cycling with the juniors will get you to the Canadian team, very smart.

Juan
2015-04-21 11:51 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by Snewo Check-in T

Hair On a related note, boy do they use a ton of chlorine in the pool at the Y. My hair was getting destroyed. I tried a few tricks, wetting hair first, rinsing immediately after the swim, baking soda paste, conditioner, etc. In the end I just went with the short haircut. It's been a while since it's been this short. I like it. I'm more streamlined now. I'm going to pass on the swim cap at the moment....I DO realize that's the answer.

Clothes I bought a pair of tri shorts since I'm going to be needing a pair soon. I did the internet thing and I now realize that X-Large doesn't mean the same thing in China that is means is other parts of the world. Bad News: I could show you the definition of muffin top. Good News: I now have motivation to try to lose more weight before the primary tri in August. I need to get a pair for the June sprint though, can I buy them at Dick's so that I can try them on first? I found this funny, so I thought I should share: http://trstriathlon.com/a-triathletes-guide-to-recruitment/

On Hair:  Conditioner.  I hate to say it, but even with my "#3 on top/#2 on the sides" crew cut, it's all about conditioner.  My swim bag always has a bottle of 2-1 or combo wash in it for just that reason, and I always use my wife's conditioner in the next shower.

On tri shorts:  I actually prefer tri-bibs, since they hold some of the muffin-top in.  I ran IMWI in them.  I really, really like my Desotos too.  They've got men's medium in black/graphite for $90 on clearance.  I wear a medium at 6'2" and ~190lbs, even if the seem stitches give a few groans of grief as I get into them.  Sizing is similar to Pearl Izumi.  Yes, they are pricey, but they're really, really good and worth it.  

Why not just wear a swim cap? I don't get into the pool without one. Keeps my hair relatively dry even when it was longer. 

2015-04-21 4:06 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

New user
Madrid
Alan, I use swim caps all the time, have tried silicone, rubber.... and I end up with hair absolutely wet.

By the way, impressive speed in your race (41km/h !!) - my PB was in my last Oly in October, all flat, joined a very fast group as drafting was allowed and made 37 km/h, still a lot to improve.

Juan
2015-04-21 4:14 PM
in reply to: Qua17

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Afternoon everyone!

Still in quite a bit of pain, Pectoral and Lat is giving me the most problems now, wrist is feeling a lot better, swelling went down and my range of motion is much better. My shoulder area on the other hand hasn't shown much improvement, and gets absolutely brutal after extended periods of being stationary. Got some prescription anti inflammatory and lidocaine patches from a family member that are giving me a little relief though..

Killing me not being able to do anything as days until my race tick off.. :/
2015-04-21 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Ok, been away from here for way too long but...

The new BDAS jersey arrived today and had to take it for a spin...

And, just saw this on FB, maybe we should reconsider those CLP's.

FDA Finds Thousands of Coors Light Beers Laced With Cocaine Nationwide

http://www.americanbikertalkradio.com/BlogRetrieve.aspx?PostID=1341...

Edited by cwpeters 2015-04-21 7:39 PM

2015-04-21 9:57 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Did anyone get the tri-top? I'd love a see throughness when wet review!

I know!! I don't even want to get caught in the rain with the bike shirt! LOL Ladies - opaque/dark jog bras! LOL

Everyone I've shown it to has really liked it! It came out well and frankly the quality is better than I expected. The gripper around the bottom will not let it creep up at all from what I can tell.

Now if I could just get a day to actually ride outside.....
2015-04-21 10:01 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by cwpeters

Niiiiiiice.....and how many flight crews enjoy a CL on an overnight...or anyone potentially subject to random drug testing..that could be very interesting to explain.

Lots of friends are in Anna Maria right now!! It's killing me we didn't travel down there this year! We WILL be there next year. - already looking at houses to rent....friends keep posting their beach pictures. > LOL
2015-04-22 7:55 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by cwpeters

I guess they just have to try to get people to drink it anyway they can...
2015-04-22 8:06 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Check-in - I have still been struggling with finding a routine, but I think I am finally getting back on track. I swam 800m last night (5x100 and then 1x300 with pool buoy). Felt okay, but definitely need to start getting back into the pool more often now that my shoulder is better.

Woke up early today and went on a short run (2.19 miles at 9:21 pace). Felt tired and out of breath. Will run again on Friday and increase the mileage. Glad I went though...finally getting back into it!
2015-04-22 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Hey Guys,

First off, I am sorry about my absence, I am going to try and get caught up on posts, No good reason, life got in the way. I need to get with it and incorporate my training into my life. I have been doing some exercise sporadically at work and lots of walks but no real training to speak of.

Second, Got my shirt today from the nice folks at Fed Ex and it looks awesome! thanks again Dave for all the work you have done on this, isnt it cool that we have shirts that will be worn in three coutries Canada, Spain, and USA (am I missing anyone?) I think it is safe to say that BDAS is a Global organization now!!!

Lets get our bike shirt photos going!!!

2015-04-22 10:29 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by Burd

WHEW! Florida 70.3 was a blast. I couldn't believe how much fun I had. It went perfect. Pacing, nutrition, and everything else was spot on. I could have went harder but that is how I guess you are supposed to feel. This distance is so much more fun than when I do sprints and olympics. Official time was 6:51:44. My goal was 7 hours and I came in under that so that's a bonus. I have a sprint May 9th with my son and plan on doing nothing but swim until it comes. My IM training will start after that race. I have a few oly and sprint races peppered throughout the year that lead up to IMFL.

Gonna be a great tri season this year!

Inpirational buddy! little late on this but a huge CONGRATS all the same!
2015-04-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I went swimming...and I didn't drown! What a relief! I always feel like a lead ball when I get back in the pool after an extended absence. Today, not so much. I actually had a pretty good swim today and practiced 150yd repeats trying to get a good handle on what my goal time should be for my race this weekend. I'm ready for that sucker now, I think! Run this morning with the pup (2.6mi). I felt awesome the whole distance, like I could go forever and ever. When I got home, I realized that was because I was running S...L...O....W. I'd blame it on the dog having to stop and pee on every blade of grass since she hasn't been out since before I left for Egypt, but that would be a cop out. Don't know why I was so slow. It did feel good though!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
2015-04-22 3:39 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
So just wanted to give you guys a heads up, I'm in the market for new tires, and got an email from specialized last night, buy one of the promo tires, and get the other free. Thinking about picking up a set of SWorks Turboss for $55. Less than half the cost of a set of GP 4000II's

http://m.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-tires/promotional-tires

Great deals if you're looking for a set of racing/training tires.
2015-04-22 4:07 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Sorry I've been absent the last week. It's been a bit of a disaster. Traveling for work last week, my friend's mom died unexpectedly, my wife bought a new car AND a new road bike (each requiring multiple trips to the dealership/bike shop), and as a result I haven't worked out since Sunday morning and won't be able to until Sunday morning again!!!!!

Alan, Charles, Scott, Alex - you guys have me looking at upgrades for my road bike. It is 2006's finest, but who doesn't want aero wheels and bars....... I won't be getting anything for a while, I'd like to see how I do with what I have first - but I love the eye candy and all the info is great!

Devon - SO SORRY about the crash! Glad nothing's broken though. Heal up soon!

Stickers - YEAH! Dave O that image is awesome!!!!

Gretchen - "what'd you do today? Usual, ran some laps in the desert after excavating a couple mummies. You?" WOW!

Dave Q - Loving the bike therapy math! I am absolutely dying to get out on mine. I saw the city street sweeper cleaning the beaches off our roads getting ever closer to my house. Soon....

BDAS Shirts - I went with the tri top since I didn't have one, and I have a few cycling jerseys. So happy the store is open so I can then splurge on a cycling jersey next time I'm feeling rich!
Tri top - I went with the sizing from jakroo's site, even got a tailor's tape measure out and figured out my chest size and everything. Came in Monday. I had to google 'Are tri tops supposed to run small' because holy s is it tiny. But by all accounts since you need to swim and bike in it and therefore be aero, it's supposed to stick to your skin like a two size too small wet t-shirt. And boy does it... Saw a bunch of comments out there like 'if it's so small that you have to be careful not to rip the seams when putting it on, it's the right size'. This is definitely the case for me! If it helps anyone - I'm 5'11", 175, 41" at the chest (probably bigger at the belly!!), and I got a M. It's actually not uncomfortable at all, just spandex skin tight.

Tried to get a pic but... I need someone else to take it for me. Every shot I got had the phone in it, and when I tried the camera flip thing all I could get was an area the size of my face. Selfie sticks are really annoying but I can see the purpose! Will have to suck up the ego and ask the wife to take a pic for me... At this rate I'll be the first one posted!

Kate - on the 'nothing to give' days... Yes I have them, sometimes at least once a week, sometimes more. I'm with Dave O, give it what you got and move on, and blame nutrition or sleep. Training for me at leat is my stress break, I can't stress over a bad workout or I'll end up a cardiac patient...

Alan GREAT pics of the race! Totally love stuff like this. With the race report and the pics it's the next best thing to being there to see it!

Dave O - the triathlete's guide to recruitment is hysterical!!

I think that's everything. I'm absolutely hating this week. I did manage to get in a good stationary bike/weight workout in the tiny hotel gym last Thursday, missed Friday while traveling back home, got in my usual Saturday double and Sunday spin, and then whomp - life. Or in yesterday's case, death (wake). Tonight is shot, tomorrow is shot except the outside chance I can get to the pool after 8, Friday is shot, Saturday is a family day trip so had to cancel my usual double..... I'm going to be absolutely miserable in a taper week - this S U C K S !!!
2015-04-22 9:35 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
I got a tri top. Its much different than my Desoto tri top. Huge arm holes, and pretty darn small. I'm 5'11", and still pretty chunky (230lbs). I think it'll be OK in about 20 more pounds of lard gone. God willing I can get that done in 14 weeks.

Oh crap!

LOL!!!!

2015-04-23 7:52 AM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
142/400--spin class. Our instructor was having her semester review to see if she will get a contract next semester. It was brutal by her standards--I loved it!

So, race coming up this weekend. Question for you all. Speed laces on my bike shoes...good idea? Is the time I will gain by not having to tie my shoes greater than the time I will lose due to reduced efficiency of the up-stroke?
2015-04-23 8:12 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove 142/400--spin class. Our instructor was having her semester review to see if she will get a contract next semester. It was brutal by her standards--I loved it! So, race coming up this weekend. Question for you all. Speed laces on my bike shoes...good idea? Is the time I will gain by not having to tie my shoes greater than the time I will lose due to reduced efficiency of the up-stroke?

I'm not sure how speed laces will reduce efficiency on the up-stroke?

If they do, you would only notice a reduction if you have an excellent pedal stroke to begin with. Most people who are relatively new to cycling generally don't make efficient use of the up-stroke anyway. If you can spin comfortably in an easy gear at 115-120rpm without bouncing too much, you probably have decent efficiency. Otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about that. The time you'll save on the lace-up is well worth it. 

Another option is triathlon specific cycling shoes. The primary characteristic of tri shoes are a large velcro tab that runs across the entire area where laces would normally be. They open very wide for easy access and you can quickly yank them closed quickly and tightly. 

2015-04-23 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by GeauxHard

So just wanted to give you guys a heads up, I'm in the market for new tires, and got an email from specialized last night, buy one of the promo tires, and get the other free. Thinking about picking up a set of SWorks Turboss for $55. Less than half the cost of a set of GP 4000II's

http://m.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-tires/promotional-tires

Great deals if you're looking for a set of racing/training tires.

I have used probikekit for my tires. They are in the UK but always shipped within 2 weeks. As a matter of fact I'm waiting on my stem from them. The GP4000 II are $44.15 right now but usually go on sale in the mid $30 range. Sometimes they will even toss in a 10% coupon on 2 tires. If you are not in a rush check them out. Sign up for the newsletter. Free shipping on $79+ is nice also. The sale price would put you close to the SWorks.

Edited by Burd 2015-04-23 9:24 AM
2015-04-23 9:47 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

got in my 1:15 run today. avg 9:15 min miles which is not bad. Getting ready to move into the next phase of my training. Having trouble finding my motivation with my first race not until mid july. thinking of picking up a sprint just to race.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54548 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.