BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Consistency Equals Success - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2015-01-01 2:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Conroe, Texas
Subject: RE: Consistency Equals Success - OPEN
I'm in as well Mitch.

NAME: username: Sawyer1206, First name: Dennis

STORY: I am 40 years old and reside in a suburb North of Houston Texas. My friends and family will tell you I am a very active person at home and at work. Despite being labeled active I still struggle with my weight and am finding it more difficult to maintain as I get older. In 2004 I weighed close to 300lbs and after realizing my current life style was not a healthy one I made a decision to change it. I decided to start a healthy diet and to take up running. One year later I finished the Houston Marathon weighing in at 180lbs. My life style has totally changed in the last 12 months, I am 110% into training for triathlons, bike rides, and runs. I am thankful for my health and the ability to beat up my body on a daily basis now. And enjoying every minute of it.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with two teenagers at home. We are an active family with both kids participating in some sort of sport or physical activity year round. We enjoy our time together and we all share a passion for Wakeboarding which keeps us together and active on the weekends.

CURRENT TRAINING: With two Sprint Triathlons behind me, with a lot of credit going out to this group, I am setting my eyes on bigger challenges. I am currently planning on my first Olympic distance in May and my first 70.3 in November of 2015.

KEY RACES: This year my season starts with 2 half marathons and 1 full marathon in February. After the running season I will focus on my first OLY in May and 70.3 in November. I'm a big guy so I come to except I will never be fast so I'm heading in to the longer races so I can slow my roll.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 6’2” and 210lbs, I have struggled with my weight since I graduating High School. My life style back then led me to packing on the pounds and getting up to a whopping 300lbs. I currently weight 220lbs after putting on 10lbs in the last two months.

WHY I WOULD MAKE A GOOD MANTEE: I am a goal driven person who never gives up, always 110 %. I will do whatever it takes to accomplish a goal and I prefer to work in a structured program with purpose and good planning. My wife tells me I’m a bit obsessive-compulsive at many aspects of my life but most particularly when it comes to my fitness goals. I am a true man of my word, I respect the opinion of others, and have no hidden agenda…what you see is what you get with me.

CURRENT GOAL: Put in more time and effort into training for longer runs and triathlons. Make more changes in my lifestyle to become more lean and healthier.

Edited by sawyer1206 2015-01-01 2:52 PM

2015-01-01 3:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Originally posted by smack

Thank you for all the responses. It looks like I need to start training nutrition.

How many hours on the biker a week should I plan on doing?

(As you can tell this is my first HIM and with it 18 weeks away -- I am wondering if i bit off more then I can chew.)

Hard question to answer in absolute terms. You obviously build hours along the way and seek to max hours out 3 weeks before the race and then enter a 2 week taper. Max hours for me looked like 2 90' weekday sessions of sub threshold efforts, 1 60' recovery effort and then the long ride of 70miles (call it nearly 3.5 hrs), but that was in the context of a17 hr peak schedule. The key is putting in enough consistent efforts to be comfortable with getting the 56 miles done and still maintaining something left for the run. Overtraining the bike is not a bad thing as long it doesn't detract from other areas of your training.

Getting brick workouts in are essential throughout the process. One of my favorite workouts is doing a run-bike-run brick of 30' x 2hrs x 30' about 4 weeks before a race. It is a killer.

Edit: just saw on your into Seth that you are doing St. George HIM - get on that bike and ride some hills (as often as possible)! That's a helluva ride!

Edited by JoePetto 2015-01-01 3:36 PM
2015-01-01 3:49 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Conroe, Texas
Mitch-Will you be carrying the challenge forward to this group?
2015-01-01 4:09 PM
in reply to: sawyer1206

User image

Master
Originally posted by sawyer1206

Mitch-Will you be carrying the challenge forward to this group?

Yes. I will have time tomorrow to introduce it to the new group. Keep track of your stats and we will begin after I detail it yo the team. Thanks!
2015-01-01 4:48 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Consistency Equals Success - CLOSED
Does anyone use the virtual power option on trainer road? I'm trying to figure out what I would need to buy in terms of ant or Bluetooth to use this feature. Thx.-Elena
2015-01-01 5:21 PM
in reply to: emlavigne

User image

Conroe, Texas
Originally posted by emlavigne

Does anyone use the virtual power option on trainer road? I'm trying to figure out what I would need to buy in terms of ant or Bluetooth to use this feature. Thx.-Elena

I hope all we need in a cadence sensor. I just got mine in the mail yesterday but I haven't had a chance to install it on the bike yet. I think JBacarella just joined the team and he's using the cadence sensor setup I do believe.

2015-01-01 5:59 PM

User image

Master

I hope all we need in a cadence sensor. I just got mine in the mail yesterday but I haven't had a chance to install it on the bike yet. I think JBacarella just joined the team and he's using the cadence sensor setup I do believe.

Discussion on virtual power from their website:

http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power
2015-01-01 7:02 PM

User image

Madison, Wisconsin
I have a question about brick workouts.

When doing a brick, do you try to structure it like a transition and get off the bike and into your running shoes quickly? If so, what do you do with your bike? The car? Garage?

Or, do you not rush moving from biking into running, perhaps taking a few minutes or more to get ready to run after finishing the bike?

I live in an apartment and it takes me a good bit of time to get my bike up to my place after a ride, so I am not completely sure how I will plan to do a brick. Any tips for how to make this work would be great!
2015-01-01 8:22 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

CA
Joe --

Thanks for the response. I see now that I have to increase the bike sessions.
2015-01-02 4:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
NAME: Kate

STORY: Started doing Triathlons in 2007 working may way up from Novice to Half Ironman. I started all of this with the desire to compete in Advenure Racing but realised that I preferred triathlons. It's been my escapism but I have a challenge with consistency - I travel a lot for work, end up doing long hours and my life decends into chaos until I start again. I'm hoping that this group will provide me with some accountability and help me to take control. As with all New Years I'm making plans to better myself and this is all part of it.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm single (my ex husband left a couple of years ago). Having spent a couple of years unsuccessfully dating I've decided to focus on upgrading me rather than trying to find a needle in a haystack as i figure I've got a better chance of success Oh and i have an adorable feisty cat called Tirpitz

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm a member of a triclub but have to admit that at the moment I'm a little scared to do much club training as I'm carry a lot of excess weight.

LAST YEAR'S RACES (2014): I did 1 and 2/3rds last year (someone ran the last part of the second one for me as I was injured).

2015 Races: I have the Devilla off road 5k, Caledonian Etape, Bishopbriggs Sprint and 2 HIM races planned. All before July.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm not at the heaviest I've ever been I think I spent the last year giving up on me a little so am now embarking on regrouping and making sure I look after myself. Loosing weight isn't that much of a problem (I think - I've done it successfully in the past) but it's maintaining the consistency that will make a difference hence with this will help.

2015 GOALS: Get to my goal weight, comfortably complete my HIM, achieve consistency in my training.

Thanks so much for letting me in!
2015-01-02 4:54 AM
in reply to: mbanddv

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I don't think it matters if you were to store the bike before the run. I think it's a case of simulating the going from the bike to the run bit and some transitions can be a little complex between the dismount and the getting out on the run so just do what you can.

2015-01-02 6:33 AM
in reply to: emlavigne

User image

Expert

Basically have two options with a cadence sensor - Bluetooth or ANT+. Your choice depends upon the unit you are synching the cadence sensor to. Smartphones and related devices won't support ANT+, same for some of the older race watches (not sure whether Garmin 910xt supports BT). If synching with a computer, you need an ANT+ stick or make sure your computer is BT compatible. Once you make the format decision, you need the sensor and should get a similarly compatible HR monitor. You don't need a stick for BT.
2015-01-02 6:38 AM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Kate_r

I don't think it matters if you were to store the bike before the run. I think it's a case of simulating the going from the bike to the run bit and some transitions can be a little complex between the dismount and the getting out on the run so just do what you can.

Agreed - how long does a typical T2 take? Keep within those timeframes and you will be fine. Key is making sure that you run with tired legs. For me, I usually take my bike in my SUV and set up a T2 in the back of the vehicle with everything laid out in the back.
2015-01-02 7:51 AM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Conroe, Texas

FAMILY STATUS: I'm single (my ex husband left a couple of years ago). Having spent a couple of years unsuccessfully dating I've decided to focus on upgrading me rather than trying to find a needle in a haystack as i figure I've got a better chance of success Oh and i have an adorable feisty cat called Tirpitz

Definitely qualifies for quote of the day for me.(made me laugh) If we all concentrated on improving our selves and not worrying about what others a doing we would be living in a different world for sure!!!

Welcome to the group Kate. If your looking to improve consistency this is the place, Mitch, Jackie, and Joe are beasts and they will help motivate without a doubt! From another who struggles with ones weight I understand completely and I know its a daily struggle, but again I think you will find great motivation and advice here.
2015-01-02 8:51 AM

User image

Master

Definitely qualifies for quote of the day for me.(made me laugh) If we all concentrated on improving our selves and not worrying about what others a doing we would be living in a different world for sure!!!

Welcome to the group Kate. If your looking to improve consistency this is the place, Mitch, Jackie, and Joe are beasts and they will help motivate without a doubt! From another who struggles with ones weight I understand completely and I know its a daily struggle, but again I think you will find great motivation and advice here.

Thanks for he props. One of our teammates mentioned using myfitnesspal to keep yourself honest from a food intake perspective. I have used it off and on and always go back to it when I'm serious about losing a few pounds. I lost about 6 pounds through the end of the year tracking all my food decisions.

Once I get into a groove from an exercise perspective I wrongly begin believing that I can eat and drink anything and everything. I find at those times when I'm working out a lot that I require themost discipline with regard to eating. I will track almost everything I eat and myfitnesspal will sync with my workouts to track net calories for each day. It's a great program if you are willing to do the little bit of extra work to input your food.
2015-01-02 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Team Roster:

Trisuppo / Mitch
gekkounonetsu / Ellen
JBacarella / Jim
emlavigne / Elena
PVFD304 / Brian
Sillygal / Beth
exercisegirl / Lisa
JoePetto / Joe
mbanddv / Melissa
DaveL / Dave
molivi311 / Morgan
smack / Seth
dgconner154 / David
scottjjmtri99 / Scott
jford2309 / James
killingtime1229 / Troy
tmoran07 / Todd
[email protected] / David
microdoc / Kevin
dcon / Dan
cassowary / Patrick (Cass)
kate_r / kate
jackiep / Jackie
sawyer1206 / Dennis

2015-01-02 8:52 AM
in reply to: gekkounonetsu

User image

Master
Originally posted by gekkounonetsu

NAME: Ellen

STORY: I'm 22, and started exercising in November 2014. So far I've been able to stay consistent, which I know is thanks to this group. I really do want to get in shape and be healthier, so I've decided to not make excuses anymore.
Outside of that, I'm not in college but am taking some extra schooling on subjects I enjoy, while deciding what to do next. I also volunteer once a week at a therapeutic horseback riding facility (part of the reasons I want to be in better shape).

FAMILY STATUS: I live with my parents and sisters in north Texas.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm working through the Beginner Exercise Program on this site. I can't swim yet, so for now its biking/walking/eventually running.

WEIGHTLOSS: My goal is to get from 180ish to down around 130lbs.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm willing to learn!

2015 GOALS: (1) Finish the training program I'm in. (2) Keep a diary so by next year I'll have some data to use for planning. (3) Pay more attention to diet/nutrition.

Ellen - glad to have you on the Team for round 2! I like your goals. It is a journey and they reflect that.
2015-01-02 8:54 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Master
Scott:

What part of Michigan and what did you do in the Navy? I finished my Navy days here in Michigan in 1998. Always great to have another Michigander and Sailor around.
2015-01-02 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I just worked out my plan for my first sprint race in over three years! I can't wait to do a shorter race again!  It will make it fun before training for my 140.6.

I love having a plan and can't wait till Monday to start!

2015-01-02 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Consistency Equals Success - MONTHLY CHALLENGE
Team:

Every month, in the spirit of Consistency Equal Success, we have had a monthly challenge. It is a point based challenge. You earn 1 point for any day where you Swim or Bike or Run for at least 30 minutes. That is 30 minutes for that activity, i.e. if you run for 30 minutes that qualifies you for a point. If you run for 30 minutes and bike for 45 minutes that qualifies you for 1 point. If you bike for 25 and run for 25 that does not qualify for any points.

Every day that you run or swim or bike for 30 minutes you report that in this thread and keep a tally of your points and total minutes of all swim, bike and run. Total minutes are used in case of a point tie at the end of the month.

We will begin this months challenge tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 3rd.

The folks in our team from the previous mentor group will surely be logging their points beginning tomorrow and the rest of you will see how its done. Ultimately it is a fun challenge that encourages you to workout on a consistent basis. Many times when I would have rolled over and stayed in bed I was encouraged to get up and get training so I could stay in the points hunt.

Please let me know if I have made this too confusing or if there are any question.

-Mitch
2015-01-02 1:50 PM
in reply to: smack

Regular
Corona
Originally posted by smack

I have few questions that hopefully the group can answer:

1) has anyone used the beginner triathlete HIM 20 week bronze plan? If so, how did you feel about it?

2) nutrition for a HIM, did you bring your own, rely on what is on the course -- or do a bit of both?

3) how much should I eat/drink on the bike during the HIM?

Thanks for any help.

Looking forward to the tour of Sufferland -- need to buy more videos

1) I used one from a different site. It was 16 weeks and I thought I could have used just a little more. So I think the 20 week will be good.

2) I always bring my own stuff for the bike. I want to be able to practice my nutrition and get it nailed down so I bring my own on the bike and I pack my salt tabs with me on the run. The GU's and Water are what I use on the run and they are all pretty much the same at each race unless you have a taste preference.

3) That depends on you. I can't eat solids on the bike or run because I get bubble-guts. I will take 1 bottle of Perpetuem every hour, 1-2 S-caps every hour (depending on weather), and 1 shot of Hammer Gel from the flask every 30 minutes. That gets me about 375-450 cal/hour which works perfect for me. This combo works for me but you need to figure out what works for you. I read suggestions from others and went to work with trial and error until I found out what worked best for me.

2015-01-02 1:59 PM
in reply to: smack

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by smack I have few questions that hopefully the group can answer: 1) has anyone used the beginner triathlete HIM 20 week bronze plan? If so, how did you feel about it? 2) nutrition for a HIM, did you bring your own, rely on what is on the course -- or do a bit of both? 3) how much should I eat/drink on the bike during the HIM? Thanks for any help. Looking forward to the tour of Sufferland -- need to buy more videos

1. I have only used plans from BT and I have always been happy with them. There are enough plans that I can choose the ones I like and ditch the ones I don't. A BT plan got me through IM!

2.I bring gels on the bike, but never bring stuff for the run. My thought is that there are normally enough aide stations on the run that I do not need anything. it is not uncommon to stuff a gell in my shirt though just in case.

3. For me, I hit my gel (I used a flask) every 10 miles and followed it up with a drink. I would eat something ( I loved bite size Payday's) once an hour.

2015-01-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: jford2309

Regular
Corona
Originally posted by jford2309

Originally posted by smack I have few questions that hopefully the group can answer: 1) has anyone used the beginner triathlete HIM 20 week bronze plan? If so, how did you feel about it? 2) nutrition for a HIM, did you bring your own, rely on what is on the course -- or do a bit of both? 3) how much should I eat/drink on the bike during the HIM? Thanks for any help. Looking forward to the tour of Sufferland -- need to buy more videos

1. I have only used plans from BT and I have always been happy with them. There are enough plans that I can choose the ones I like and ditch the ones I don't. A BT plan got me through IM!

2.I bring gels on the bike, but never bring stuff for the run. My thought is that there are normally enough aide stations on the run that I do not need anything. it is not uncommon to stuff a gell in my shirt though just in case.

3. For me, I hit my gel (I used a flask) every 10 miles and followed it up with a drink. I would eat something ( I loved bite size Payday's) once an hour.

Which training plan did you use for the IM? I'm using the RPE 20 week IM now as a base builder.
2015-01-02 3:04 PM
in reply to: tmoran07

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by tmoran07
Originally posted by jford2309

Which training plan did you use for the IM? I'm using the RPE 20 week IM now as a base builder.

I like using the custom built plans because it let me focus on my weakness. You can build the plan based on how often you want to S/B/R. I was heavier on the bike than running and I had a horrible run, so I still have to tweak it. It also lets you base it off pace so it is realistic to you!

2015-01-02 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by trisuppo Team Roster: Trisuppo / Mitch gekkounonetsu / Ellen JBacarella / Jim emlavigne / Elena PVFD304 / Brian Sillygal / Beth exercisegirl / Lisa JoePetto / Joe mbanddv / Melissa DaveL / Dave molivi311 / Morgan smack / Seth dgconner154 / David scottjjmtri99 / Scott jford2309 / James killingtime1229 / Troy tmoran07 / Todd [email protected] / David microdoc / Kevin dcon / Dan cassowary / Patrick (Cass) kate_r / kate jackiep / Jackie sawyer1206 / Dennis

going to add all you guys to my friends list for easier access to your logs! Thanks for this

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Consistency Equals Success - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46652 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 85232 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54774 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : October 20, 2008
author : EnduRight
Training is often a lonely proposition and sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Finding good training partners can provide you with that extra external motivation to bring out your best.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Your training plan is a guide but you don’t blindly follow it. You shouldn’t know exactly what you are going to do until the day you are to do it.