BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-23 12:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by msteiner

Rad!!!!

That looks like so much fun. I really want to tackle it sometime. So little time! I also want a crack and the velodrome!

Are any of you guys just overwhelmed with the possibilities...in life? In general?

A velodrome would be awesome.  I wish cycling was popular enough here to get one constructed.  I think you would enjoy mountain biking.

I remembered being amazed at the world that was opened when I started racing triathlon, and once again a few worlds opened with my transition into full cycling.  The world is way bigger than most people realize.

Here's ours

and to your point, seriously. Just wait until you go down all the wormholes of cycling. We've already mentioned MTB, cyclo, velodrome...sh*t you will be playing bike polo in no time!

Fat tires & fixies!

ETA: And I don't even know what those games in the Sufferfest vids are.

Edited by brigby1 2015-01-23 12:30 PM

2015-01-23 12:28 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

That is part of the joy of bikes for me. You can be as high or low tech as you like. There are a multitude of ways to approach things, and many of these approaches work. It's when you reach the point of tying all of the aspects together that it becomes a perfect storm. Rider/equipment/course. And even then, there are variables that have an affect.

I find it all very interesting, and I am merely scratching the surface at this point.

But I don't think I could finish in the FOP without investing some $$$

Having ridden a much more expensive bike than the one I own it is VERY clear how much harder I would have to work. 

So, that being said, if you take competition out of cycling, I totally agree. 

I did get a 3rd, 7th, and 3rd overall bike split this year on a road bike. Tuck in low and power hard. The bike selection does matter, but not always as much as one thinks. There is a lot of value coming through in the lower levels and in used gear now. I do get not wanting to worry about it at all, but also wanted to note that it isn't necessarily as expensive as one might think get an ok setup. Paying attention to things like gear matter everywhere, the bike does have more parts to look at than some other things.

80% of drag comes from the person and not position.  As long as you can get into a solid race position you're already ahead of a lot of the field.

2015-01-23 12:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by rrrunner

I rode my bike today, btw  

And now I know why this hot hazy hellishness has begun to cool off. I shall see snowballs soon.

Yeah, it's freezing here too! Wind chill was down to zero!!!!!!!!

Chris, I think we swapped weather.  We'll be having 50's and 60's for the next week.  TJ, you can keep your weather, thankyouverymuch.

I don't want to jinx anything but our mountain summit this weekend is projected to be 50 degrees and clear! Like, woah! 

Looking forward to the IG pix!

2015-01-23 12:31 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by IronOx

Monica. Kirsten. 

RIGHT?

Hey, at least she's holding a goalie stick!  Smart woman

Ah, the price I pay for posting before reading other comments - team Canada's colors are the Black Widows' colors, black, red, white, so that's a go.  While I could see a few members of the team willing to wear this getup, I'll stick with my regular skates and goalie gear, thanks!  And yeah, what IS the deal with the incredibly high score? 

Edited by melbo55 2015-01-23 12:35 PM
2015-01-23 12:31 PM

User image

Seattle

Rad!!!!

That looks like so much fun. I really want to tackle it sometime. So little time! I also want a crack and the velodrome!

Are any of you guys just overwhelmed with the possibilities...in life? In general?

A velodrome would be awesome.  I wish cycling was popular enough here to get one constructed.  I think you would enjoy mountain biking.

I remembered being amazed at the world that was opened when I started racing triathlon, and once again a few worlds opened with my transition into full cycling.  The world is way bigger than most people realize.

Here's ours

and to your point, seriously. Just wait until you go down all the wormholes of cycling. We've already mentioned MTB, cyclo, velodrome...sh*t you will be playing bike polo in no time!

Fat tires & fixies!

My sister in law juggles and rides a unicycle 

2015-01-23 12:33 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by IronOx

Monica. Kirsten. 

RIGHT?

Hey, at least she's holding a goalie stick!  Smart woman

Hellll yes. Goalies are the best. I ALWAYS wanted to be one. 

2015-01-23 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Rad!!!!

Here's ours

Fat tires & fixies!

At the end of Fight Club there's the gymnastics on a bike thing.  Don't think I'll be taking up that one.  That velodrome looks awesome!

2015-01-23 12:39 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
===
January 24-25
Ann-Marie - Town of Celebration half marathon on Sunday
Yanti - Sorrento 5K ocean swim on Monday in Perth
Salty - Mt. St. Helens Ascent

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Kirsten - viral pharyngitis
Neil - back

Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge participants...
    100% - 11 people (woot woot!!)
    96% - 2 people
    90% - 1 person
    89% - 1 person
    86% - 2 people
    82% - 2 people
    73% - 1 person
    68% - 1 person

2015-01-23 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Rad!!!!

Here's ours

Fat tires & fixies!

At the end of Fight Club there's the gymnastics on a bike thing.  Don't think I'll be taking up that one.  That velodrome looks awesome!

That's an awesome picture, too.  Wow.

I'm slowly moving my way towards full-time cycling.  Probably not this year, but I'm going to get my license and ride a few races.  Definitely two TTs and a crit that is about 500 yards from my house.  Still looking for a road race.

BTW, Stage 1 of ToS is in the books.  I dialed back on The Long Scream to kinda/sorta do an FTP test and see where I am.  At -5% I never red-lined on HR, so I think my TR FTP is pretty close.

2015-01-23 12:41 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

I rode my bike today, btw  

And now I know why this hot hazy hellishness has begun to cool off. I shall see snowballs soon.

Yeah, it's freezing here too! Wind chill was down to zero!!!!!!!!

Chris, I think we swapped weather.  We'll be having 50's and 60's for the next week.  TJ, you can keep your weather, thankyouverymuch.

Maybe, but remeber, my viewpoint of "Cold" may be different than some other people.

hahaha, too true!  Sunday morning we will be in the low 40*s for the start of my HM and will warm up to almost 70*.  I consider the 40*s to be really cold, so will have a hard time figuring out what to wear for the race.  I know anyone spectating will be so bundled up that most of you would laugh at them!

2015-01-23 12:48 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

===
January 24-25

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Neil - back

96% - 2 people
    90% - 1 person
    89% - 1 person
    86% - 2 people
    82% - 2 people
    73% - 1 person
    68% - 1 person

RUN like the wind, Ann-Marie!

SWIM like the fish you are, Yanti!

HIKE/SCRAMBLE/ENJOY LIFE like you do in your ascent, Salty!

HEAL, DLers!

Sorry for my lack of SMMMMC participation, but I was sick and so not feeling even doing stretches and whatnot last weekend and Monday.

The pics of the velodrome makes me want to investigate if/how one is able to ride the one ~1-1.5 hours from my house...hmmm...

2015-01-23 12:49 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Chris, I see your point about weather.  50's and 60's is probably parka weather for you.

Salty, that weather for your summit would be awesome!!!  That's almost-but-not-quite shorts weather.  It would sure make the snow slushy though, which could make the going harder.

As for cycling, I'm just scratching the surface too.  I don't want to get too caught up just yet in needing this part or that.  At this point, I'm just trying to get the engine in shape.  Having that all-carbon bike would sure be nice though!  When I switched from my old bike to the step-up one I have now, I was amazed at how much easier hills were.  I've been trading emails with the bus-bike guy, but I still don't know make/model or specs.  Hopefully soon...

I've always though cross would be a blast.  Realistically, though, my body can't handle it.  It sucks to get old and rickety.

2015-01-23 12:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

That is part of the joy of bikes for me. You can be as high or low tech as you like. There are a multitude of ways to approach things, and many of these approaches work. It's when you reach the point of tying all of the aspects together that it becomes a perfect storm. Rider/equipment/course. And even then, there are variables that have an affect.

I find it all very interesting, and I am merely scratching the surface at this point.

Having ridden a much more expensive bike than the one I own it is VERY clear how much harder I would have to work. 

I did get a 3rd, 7th, and 3rd overall bike split this year on a road bike. Tuck in low and power hard. The bike selection does matter, but not always as much as one thinks. There is a lot of value coming through in the lower levels and in used gear now. I do get not wanting to worry about it at all, but also wanted to note that it isn't necessarily as expensive as one might think get an ok setup. Paying attention to things like gear matter everywhere, the bike does have more parts to look at than some other things.

80% of drag comes from the person and not position.  As long as you can get into a solid race position you're already ahead of a lot of the field.

If you meant "bike" instead of the first "position" then yeah. The position of the person has a rather profound effect on the amount of drag. A number of newer bikes (most expensive included) are getting faster in their own aero tests, but are actually stacking higher than previous. Not a big deal for many as most don't go that low (which is why they stacked them higher), but for those of us that do it is an issue.

2015-01-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Chris, I see your point about weather.  50's and 60's is probably parka weather for you.

Salty, that weather for your summit would be awesome!!!  That's almost-but-not-quite shorts weather.  It would sure make the snow slushy though, which could make the going harder.

As for cycling, I'm just scratching the surface too.  I don't want to get too caught up just yet in needing this part or that.  At this point, I'm just trying to get the engine in shape.  Having that all-carbon bike would sure be nice though!  When I switched from my old bike to the step-up one I have now, I was amazed at how much easier hills were.  I've been trading emails with the bus-bike guy, but I still don't know make/model or specs.  Hopefully soon...

I've always though cross would be a blast.  Realistically, though, my body can't handle it.  It sucks to get old and rickety.

What type of bikes did you go between there?

2015-01-23 12:57 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Rad!!!!

Here's ours

Fat tires & fixies!

I'm slowly moving my way towards full-time cycling.  Probably not this year, but I'm going to get my license and ride a few races.  Definitely two TTs and a crit that is about 500 yards from my house.  Still looking for a road race.

BTW, Stage 1 of ToS is in the books.  I dialed back on The Long Scream to kinda/sorta do an FTP test and see where I am.  At -5% I never red-lined on HR, so I think my TR FTP is pretty close.

I've been tossing around the idea of trying some TT action this coming summer.  I know NJ has a regular series/circuit, but it's good to know there are some in MD, too.  Road races scare me. I've watched/worked for/seen 'carnage' of/hauled back wrecked folks off the course during races enough to know I want no part of racing one. 

https://www.bikereg.com/events/Road-Races/Mid-Atlantic BikeReg is a good site to find races on, based on region and type of biking, Mike. 

2015-01-23 1:09 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

===
January 24-25

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Neil - back

96% - 2 people
    90% - 1 person
    89% - 1 person
    86% - 2 people
    82% - 2 people
    73% - 1 person
    68% - 1 person

RUN like the wind, Ann-Marie!

SWIM like the fish you are, Yanti!

HIKE/SCRAMBLE/ENJOY LIFE like you do in your ascent, Salty!

HEAL, DLers!

Sorry for my lack of SMMMMC participation, but I was sick and so not feeling even doing stretches and whatnot last weekend and Monday.

The pics of the velodrome makes me want to investigate if/how one is able to ride the one ~1-1.5 hours from my house...hmmm...

Have fun, Hands, Yanti, and Salty.  That's what it's all about!!

Kirsten and Neil, heal heal.  Let's get off this list already, right?

Melanie, no need to apologize.  It's a challenge and you do what you can.  Sometimes 100% is too much to ask of oneself, especially when life is being craptastic.  My numbers are low too.  I'm finding that the less I exercise, the worse I feel overall physically and emotionally but I can't exercise because that makes me hurt in specific places.  It's a miserable catch-22.

2015-01-23 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!

===
January 24-25

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Neil - back

96% - 2 people
    90% - 1 person
    89% - 1 person
    86% - 2 people
    82% - 2 people
    73% - 1 person
    68% - 1 person

Go all those who can!

Heal if you are one of those that can't go!

2015-01-23 1:14 PM

User image

Denver, CO

What type of bikes did you go between there?

Schwinn Super Sport (*very* basic 10 y.o. road bike) to Giant OCR2 road bike with carbon fork and seat post.

2015-01-23 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Racing Manatees!

===
January 24-25

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Neil - back

96% - 2 people
    90% - 1 person
    89% - 1 person
    86% - 2 people
    82% - 2 people
    73% - 1 person
    68% - 1 person

Not only am I (mostly) off the DL, but I'm actually racing this weekend, as well!  We're doing the 3M HM.  I won't be going PR kind of fast, buuuuuuut...

My current pace and The Better Half's are about the same this weekend, so I'll be taking advantage of the opportunity to do one of my favorite things and run with her!  She's not at her PR pace either, or else I would have a lonely run.    I've already prepped her that if I flag at the end (quite possible), she can drop me like a bad habit with no hard feelings (as long as she high fives and hugs me when I cross the line some time later).

I'm actually sooper excited to be on course and able to run again - even if the training wasn't what I'd planned.  I love love love races!  Can't wait to be racing again, too, and soon (races and racing being different animals)

GO Hands!  GO Yanti!  GO Salty!

So.  Much.  Awesomeness.  

(and heal up DLers)

Matt

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2015-01-23 1:16 PM
2015-01-23 1:19 PM

User image

Seattle

Racing Manatees!

===
January 24-25

Love the diversity there! Go get em! + Matt

Rest up DLers! 

2015-01-23 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Rad!!!!

Here's ours

Fat tires & fixies!

I've been tossing around the idea of trying some TT action this coming summer.  I know NJ has a regular series/circuit, but it's good to know there are some in MD, too.  Road races scare me. I've watched/worked for/seen 'carnage' of/hauled back wrecked folks off the course during races enough to know I want no part of racing one. 

https://www.bikereg.com/events/Road-Races/Mid-Atlantic BikeReg is a good site to find races on, based on region and type of biking, Mike. 

We have a local TT series that I enjoy. It's about 5 miles from my house so it's super convenient and pretty low key. I like the challenge of me against the clock.

2015-01-23 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

===
January 24-25

Rest up DLers! 

Good stuff. It's so awesome to think about my Manatee friends doing cool stuff this weekend around the world!

Go get em! And bring back pix

DLers, c'mon now, healhealhealheal

2015-01-23 1:27 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Racing Manatees!

===
January 24-25

Rest up DLers! 

Good stuff. It's so awesome to think about my Manatee friends doing cool stuff this weekend around the world!

Go get em! And bring back pix

DLers, c'mon now, healhealhealheal

Camera charging! Even bringing my solar charger up. 

2015-01-23 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

If you meant "bike" instead of the first "position" then yeah. The position of the person has a rather profound effect on the amount of drag. A number of newer bikes (most expensive included) are getting faster in their own aero tests, but are actually stacking higher than previous. Not a big deal for many as most don't go that low (which is why they stacked them higher), but for those of us that do it is an issue.

Part of why I'm still on my old P2.  Fits my odd body habitus (long torso compared to my legs - Flight Surgeon once told me, "Son, God cheated you out of your legs... But that's good as you likely won't break them BOTH when you eject").

I've found that a very aggressive position on my road bike is dang close to a comfortable position on my tri bike over the same courses (faster on some of the spikey hilly ones here, actually).  However, when I'm dialed in on the P2, it's definitely a faster rig on all but the silliest of hilliest rides.

As for the pricing thing, yes, all bikes are spendy.  No doubt and no way around needing at least some discretionary cash.  But a really solid race rig doesn't have to break the bank.  I bought my bike used (it's an '09) and a set of very nice used wheels, including a disc - and it was way less than I spent on my nice but not crazy nice roadie.  In fact, it was all in barely more than a new disc!  (my wheels are all tubies, which helped keep costs down, too).  I did add a PM, which was a large percentage of the total value, but is definitely not needed to race well (just don't tell that to The Better Half). 

The difference between an old P2 and a new superbike is in the many thousands of dollars level, but the difference in time across an oly I suspect would be well (well) under a minute for most of us - even the FOP folks.  So, one can definitely challenge the FOP with a cheap rig.  By no means a free ride, so to speak, but doesn't have to be cra-cra expensive to contend with the pointy end, IMO/E. 

Matt

2015-01-23 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

===
January 24-25

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Neil - back

96% - 2 people
    90% - 1 person
    89% - 1 person
    86% - 2 people
    82% - 2 people
    73% - 1 person
    68% - 1 person

GO YANTI, SALTY, MATT AND ME!!  

I am very happy to be in a race again, but, like Matt, I will make the distinction b/w running in a race and racing - cuz I am soooo not racing!! 

DLers, you know what you need to do! 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54568 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.