BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-03-07 11:42 AM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
"I got Brooks Adrenaline"........

Great choice of shoes! I've had many of the versions Brooks has made of this shoe; still use then even tho I'm only walk. My wife just shakes her head at my running shoe tree in the basement! So many of them!!

"Can you tell I am like a kid? "......

Just like the first day of school!!!

2015-03-07 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by nekomidori

I'm excited. I signed up for a triathlon camp for Saturday. We will meet bike on a compu-trainer system that measures all kinds of things, then talk. Then go for a run. Have lunch, go for a swim and they will film above and in the water. Then we get to see it and discuss it then get back in the pool and work on fixing techniques. It will be a long day 9-530, I have never trained all of it on one day this should prove to be insightful. I think I will do a lighter training today to be ready for tomorrow.

My husband thinks my lack of umpf in my workouts is food related. I am taking a harder look at that. I think we nutrition as well as transitions at this camp.

Nicole, your camp sounds like it will provide you with a lot of insight and feedback. To your question, I can't say but for me it is almost always due to a lack of hydration. You have been going at it pretty good though so it might just be that your body is still trying to catch up to your passion and drive. Can't wait to hear about the camp!!
2015-03-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Smiley9188

Wow, so I signed up for my first race. And it turns out they changed the date of it so it's not 12 weeks away but 9. So May 10th (an indoor 250 y swim, 9.3 bike and 3 mile run) OH MY GOSH! So i'm panicking. I'm jumping onto a 12 week training plan now and am getting back into the groove again. the weather and my mom staying with me (and the wine intake- I can't let her drink alone!) has limited my workouts but she's heading home on tuesday so I'm jumping back on the train!

So i just wanted to pop in and say hi. i'm impressed by so many of you! I love how people are really just GOING for it. awesome!

WooHoo Colleen, you're going to do great I know it. Look at it like this you have 3 less weeks to wait for race day ??
2015-03-07 7:06 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

"I got Brooks Adrenaline"........

Great choice of shoes! I've had many of the versions Brooks has made of this shoe; still use then even tho I'm only walk. My wife just shakes her head at my running shoe tree in the basement! So many of them!!

"Can you tell I am like a kid? "......

Just like the first day of school!!!

They are great shoes and I have 2 coworkers that just rave about them but it didn't work for me. I got their stability version Pure Cadence and man they just didn't work, I can barely wear them for walking astound built they are built well I guess just not for me. I went back to Asics and have decided to not try anything else unless they stop feeling good / right
2015-03-07 9:47 PM
in reply to: #5098562

User image

I had a great day at the camp. I was with people that have trained for 12 yrs or more and others that this will be their second sprint. We even had a few working on ironman.
I started my day with an 1 hr ride(16miles). I pushed harder than ever today! It felt good. Then after a short break for a snack and a wardrobe change, we were off. I ran 39 minute 3 miles. My longest run yet.
We got filmed running then went back and analyze our runs. Had lunch then we were off to the pool. I swam 350 yd which was not a lot for me but finished up my workout from last night. We were filmed again and got pointers then got back in the pool to fix any errors the. Were filmed again. That was real insightful. Then back to the camp and a 45 minute interval ride (12 miles) then no change and right out for a quick brick run. 4 minutes out 4 minutes back(10 minutes for me and .8 of a mile)
I expected to be crawling out the door but I wasn't. I hung in there and rocked it! I am beaming with pride. I can't believe how much I did today. I stretched a lot today and drank a lot of water and I was staying on top of my snacks to keep enough fuel in me.
I think my lack of umpf might be from my body realizing I'm an athlete now and maybe from a mental block of thinking I wasn't able to go farther or faster.
I broke through that wall and feel exhilarated. I realized except for the swim I did my sprint today. I'm only at week 6 image what I will be like in another 6 or 12 weeks?
I held my own with the big boys and girls. My husband even said he didn't know if he could have done what I did. I think he could have.

Push yourself you don't really know what you are made of until you try.(tri)
2015-03-07 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I had a great day at the camp. I was with people that have trained for 12 yrs or more and others that this will be their second sprint. We even had a few working on ironman.
I started my day with an 1 hr ride(16miles). I pushed harder than ever today! It felt good. Then after a short break for a snack and a wardrobe change, we were off. I ran 39 minute 3 miles. My longest run yet.
We got filmed running then went back and analyze our runs. Had lunch then we were off to the pool. I swam 350 yd which was not a lot for me but finished up my workout from last night. We were filmed again and got pointers then got back in the pool to fix any errors the. Were filmed again. That was real insightful. Then back to the camp and a 45 minute interval ride (12 miles) then no change and right out for a quick brick run. 4 minutes out 4 minutes back(10 minutes for me and .8 of a mile)
I expected to be crawling out the door but I wasn't. I hung in there and rocked it! I am beaming with pride. I can't believe how much I did today. I stretched a lot today and drank a lot of water and I was staying on top of my snacks to keep enough fuel in me.
I think my lack of umpf might be from my body realizing I'm an athlete now and maybe from a mental block of thinking I wasn't able to go farther or faster.
I broke through that wall and feel exhilarated. I realized except for the swim I did my sprint today. I'm only at week 6 image what I will be like in another 6 or 12 weeks?
I held my own with the big boys and girls. My husband even said he didn't know if he could have done what I did. I think he could have.

That is freaking awesome and even better that you were able to see what we already knew, that you could do more than you thought you could. A break through day like today is also a great place to go when / if you begin to doubt yourself. I'm sure that today also showed you that victories are not only found at the end of a race but instead can be anytime we push ourselves. Great job and congrats, you deserved a day like today??

2015-03-08 11:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Nicole......

Absolutely a tremendous day for you yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-03-08 11:33 AM
2015-03-08 3:47 PM

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Impressive! This sounds really fun. Good work! I've been lacking the umph my self today, and was planning on cancelling my running workout. Luckily I had made a deal with a friend that showed up on my doorstep and I had no choice. The quote is true, I've have yet to regret a workout what I did not initially want to do. 8 km down, and feeling much better :-)

2015-03-08 3:53 PM

User image

Originally posted by Smiley9188 Wow, so I signed up for my first race. And it turns out they changed the date of it so it's not 12 weeks away but 9. So May 10th (an indoor 250 y swim, 9.3 bike and 3 mile run) OH MY GOSH! So i'm panicking. I'm jumping onto a 12 week training plan now and am getting back into the groove again. the weather and my mom staying with me (and the wine intake- I can't let her drink alone!) has limited my workouts but she's heading home on tuesday so I'm jumping back on the train! So i just wanted to pop in and say hi. i'm impressed by so many of you! I love how people are really just GOING for it. awesome!

You're running on rails now, Colleen. Just keep that locomotive at high speed, and they won't know what hit them :-) Having the race a little to close seems like a nice way to get a kick in the butt and get moving. I'm starting to panic about my half-marathon that is two and a half months away. Panic can be motivating. Put some wine in that bike-bottle, and get to work :-)

2015-03-08 3:56 PM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

, Connecticut
Sounds like an awesome day! Good for you!

So I have a question. I am a junky runner. I don't want to say 'bad' because I am, in fact, running. But I run about an 11 minute mile, which is a push. I'm not fast. I'm also not very fierce. I'm a short chubby girl. BUT I recently realized that if I warm up before a run I can run better and my run feels smoother. So yesterday I ran 3 miles outside without a warmup (it was 14 degrees) and I'm SORE today. I'm achy. Maybe i'm fighting a cold or something but i really think it was because I didn't warm up. Yesterdays run was a run with a local triathlete group, there are some elite athletes in this group and I didn't want to look like a loser for doing some warm up drills when they weren't doing any drills. (yes, I realize how absurd that reads but it's true) Now I feel like a loser because my shins are sore and my hips are sore and I feel like I need to rest and recover which pisses me off.

So... here's my question. How can I warm up without looking like a loser. What are some inconspicuous type warm ups that I can do?
2015-03-08 4:29 PM

User image

I think warming up sounds great not stupid. I wouldn't worry what others think but worry about how your body will feel. I learned at my camp that it is better to take shorter strides and to keep your hands to your sides not crossing in front. The main thing is to be relaxed in the upper body otherwise your are burning extra energy also lean slightly forward.

I have never done warm up exercises but I do stretch for about 15 seconds each stretch. It would probably be good to do some jumping jacks and jogging in place first.

Good Luck

Nicole 41, Newbie
Go Legs Go!!!

2015-03-08 4:30 PM

User image

Way to go Espen!!
2015-03-08 6:02 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Colleen,
I always warm up with 5 minutes brisk walking before I run...my body just needs that time to transition. Goofy or not, I do it! I am a slow runner, but I am just happy to be getting it done!
2015-03-08 6:03 PM
in reply to: #5098910

User image

Nicole, your tri camp sounds amazing! I am so impressed with how much you did. You must feel great about how far you have come!
2015-03-08 6:09 PM
in reply to: #5098912

User image

Well, I had a crazy week at work and got in very little training time. I usually try to work out in the AM, but I was up at 4:30 for work every day last week. I couldn't stand to get up any earlier. The good news is that it was supposed to be a light training week, and when I went back to it for real today I felt great. I swam 1650, and pushed myself to do more freestyle and longer stretches...here's what I did:
50 warm-up
4x100, 20 sec between
200 side kick drill
100 kick board
100 pull buoy (focusing in form and bilateral breathing)
2x400

My arms are super tired tonight. I need to figure out how to use my lats more ...any suggestions?

Hope everyone has a great week!
2015-03-08 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Smiley9188

Sounds like an awesome day! Good for you!

So I have a question. I am a junky runner. I don't want to say 'bad' because I am, in fact, running. But I run about an 11 minute mile, which is a push. I'm not fast. I'm also not very fierce. I'm a short chubby girl. BUT I recently realized that if I warm up before a run I can run better and my run feels smoother. So yesterday I ran 3 miles outside without a warmup (it was 14 degrees) and I'm SORE today. I'm achy. Maybe i'm fighting a cold or something but i really think it was because I didn't warm up. Yesterdays run was a run with a local triathlete group, there are some elite athletes in this group and I didn't want to look like a loser for doing some warm up drills when they weren't doing any drills. (yes, I realize how absurd that reads but it's true) Now I feel like a loser because my shins are sore and my hips are sore and I feel like I need to rest and recover which pisses me off.

So... here's my question. How can I warm up without looking like a loser. What are some inconspicuous type warm ups that I can do?

Stop caring what others think and just do your thing. Trust me they are no where near as concerned about what you're doing as you think they are. Always remind yourself that all of this is for you and your health, what you're wearing or how you look doesn't matter. Find joy in yourself and nothing else will matter whether training or on race day.

2015-03-08 6:53 PM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by allan_c

Well, I had a crazy week at work and got in very little training time. I usually try to work out in the AM, but I was up at 4:30 for work every day last week. I couldn't stand to get up any earlier. The good news is that it was supposed to be a light training week, and when I went back to it for real today I felt great. I swam 1650, and pushed myself to do more freestyle and longer stretches...here's what I did:
50 warm-up
4x100, 20 sec between
200 side kick drill
100 kick board
100 pull buoy (focusing in form and bilateral breathing)
2x400

My arms are super tired tonight. I need to figure out how to use my lats more ...any suggestions?

Hope everyone has a great week!

I basically do Lat pull downs and the rowing machine, when available. Remember it's getting worked and like any other muscle it has to tear down to rebuilt so to speak, so it will get better as you swim more.
2015-03-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #5098913

User image

Thank you everyone for your support. Saturday's camp has helped me mentally so much. I went for a bike ride with my whole family on Sunday almost 8 miles and it felt like stretching my legs.
Now that I have started to run outside I understand why no one wants to run on a treadmill. I went longer with my run with less walking. I am not fast but I'm doing it. I am running at a 12 minute mile. I still have done walking in there. Today my swim lesson was focusing on form. Turning my head and breathing then my face in the water and then back on the side. Focusing on relaxing my ankles to let my feet be like flippers. Pushing off the end of the pool and using that to send me through the water for the first 10-12 ft in a streamline before using my arms. Also working on streamlined form. My coach corrected my body alignment wow what a difference.
I am realizing a lot about me with this journey. I found out I need to RELAX more in the pool. I guess I am thinking too much. Lol
I got in a quick swim session before my class and will have to finish my swim after work.
I'm tired loosing an hour today messed with me. I hope everyone else took the time change better than me.
Nicole 41 SC
Week 7 ( wow I can hardly believe it already)
I have gained a pound since last week but lost 1 inch off my hips, 1 inch from my abs, 1/2 inch from my ankles, and gained 1/2 inch on my right forearm, and 1/2 inch on my right bicep.
Go legs go!
2015-03-09 5:22 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Great job everyone!! I love reading how everyone is doing and what you are doing. I have been keeping up on my workouts but haven't been able to post as much. Work has been busy and my husband informed me that I haven't been giving him enough time so I have been making an effort not to be on my phone as much when we are together so that he doesn't feel like I am not giving him quality time. He is my support system so I do need to remember that and not take him for granted.

My pool is officially closed on the 15th and I was stressing about that since I feel like my swim is my weakest link. After doing some looking around I found that one of the YMCA's that is in my area offers a Swim Master. Unfortunately it is at least a half hour drive but after going to visit the Y and talking with them, then talking it over with my husband, we have decided that I should just do it and we were able to justify the cost of joining the Y and found it in our budget. (Just goes to show another way that my husband supports my desire for doing all of this). My first day with the group will be tomorrow at 6am. I have to say that I am a little nervous going all by myself and I just hope that they don't take one look at my swimming ability and tell me that I am a lost cause. Although since starting on this " Tri journey" I am doing more and more things by myself ,which has been way out of my comfort zone, and I am learning that I can do it and becoming more confident in myself.

I am a little worried on how I am going to fit it all in. Swim Masters is 3 x week on Tuesdays, Thursday's & Saturday's. My running group is 2 x week on Thursdays & Saturday's. Plus I need to fit biking in not to mention that I work full time nights and I can't let my husband feel neglected again, and somewhere in there I need to sleep. I know I can do it, I just need to find the balance.

Have a great week everyone and keep up the amazing work that you all are doing! Thanks for keeping me motivated and keep posting so that I can keep getting inspired by all of you!!
2015-03-09 8:05 PM
in reply to: #5099153

I'm getting pumped for everyone. Had my second swim in the "masters" group I really like it. Coach says I have good form and a strong stroke and need to work on speed. That is very true it has been 30 plus years since I swam fast. I ran outside today for the first time this year. Started really slow just walked the first mile to warm up then jogged the last three which felt good. I need help on starting off running, it's like a mental block I think I have to start off slow and warm up. I Don't stretch before or after. Mainly not sure what stretches to do and I am inpatient and want to just get going. Will be purchasing my bike in about a month then will have about 10 weeks to practice on it before my event.
Thank God the weather is changing and we can get outside more
Set a goal, reach it, repeat!!!
2015-03-09 10:23 PM
in reply to: #5099325

User image

Suzie, if your swim group is anything like the people I met at my camp they will welcome you. I think the journey people take on their triathlons is so individual and people respect that.(at least the people I have met). That is exciting that your husband is supportive. I think you will figure a way how to balance it all. Take a deep breathe you can do this. I think you are much stronger than you give yourself credit for. You will do great in your class. Baby steps. Celebrate each victory. 5 weeks ago I couldn't swim with my face in the water now I swim 25yd in 30 seconds.
Just imagine the possibilities.

Liz that is great news. I was wondering how your class was going. I'm glad your able to get outside to run. I was thinking of our group and how many are still stuck in the snow.
Keep up the great work!!

I got back in the pool after soccer games and dinner to finish up with another 400 yd.

Nicole
41 athlete in training, South Carolina

2015-03-10 2:52 PM

User image

, Connecticut

Suzie, if your swim group is anything like the people I met at my camp they will welcome you. I think the journey people take on their triathlons is so individual and people respect that.(at least the people I have met). That is exciting that your husband is supportive. I think you will figure a way how to balance it all. Take a deep breathe you can do this. I think you are much stronger than you give yourself credit for. You will do great in your class. Baby steps. Celebrate each victory. 5 weeks ago I couldn't swim with my face in the water now I swim 25yd in 30 seconds.
Just imagine the possibilities.

Liz that is great news. I was wondering how your class was going. I'm glad your able to get outside to run. I was thinking of our group and how many are still stuck in the snow.
Keep up the great work!!

I got back in the pool after soccer games and dinner to finish up with another 400 yd.

Nicole
41 athlete in training, South Carolina

I love your new signature! athlete in training. Sounds so strong and confident! Good for you! this group is so inspiring!
2015-03-10 4:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Did 500 meters crawl today, all flip-turns, no stopping, just like the sprint! And I lived to tell the tale. That is a first for me. Just needed to get that out to someone who knows what I am talking about :-)

Have a great week!

Edited by Gnoory 2015-03-10 4:29 PM
2015-03-10 7:00 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Gnoory

Did 500 meters crawl today, all flip-turns, no stopping, just like the sprint! And I lived to tell the tale. That is a first for me. Just needed to get that out to someone who knows what I am talking about :-)

Have a great week!

How awesome for you. Great accomplishment and place to launch from!!!
2015-03-10 7:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by Gnoory

Have a great week!

Outstanding....and FLIP TURNS....Wow!!

Congrats!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1064 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.