General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible ITB problem (long)? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-22 9:08 AM

User image

, Texas
Subject: Possible ITB problem (long)?
I have tweaked my knee and looking online, it seems as though it might be my IT band except that I have not had pain during a run.

I first noticed some discomfort in my knee a few hours after I had a VO2 test. This test was performed for both the bike (trainer @ 67 RPM) and the run (outside). During the test, nothing out of the ordinary happened and I didn't notice any pain or discomfort. When I woke the next morning, I'd get pain bending or straightening my leg when at about the 45 degree mark while still laying on my side in bed (ie no weight on knee). When I got up and walked around, I had no pain walking at all. I also later went for a short, easy test jog and again no pain at all.

The pain is on the lateral side of my knee, just under the knee cap. The pain is slight and today is the 3'rd day and is still there, but is harder to reproduce. I can most easily reproduce it by sitting in my computer chair with my legs on the floor almost straight and then roll myself forward using my feet. I have no swelling, but I've also torn my MCL and nicked (Dr's word) my ACL in my other knee and it didn't really swell either.

Something that may be related is that one week ago I took my family to one of those "drive through" zoos which had me in the car for 6 hours. I did have some discomfort in this same knee from sitting in the car, but didn't think much of it at the time.

At this time, I'm not ready to go to a Dr or PT and my plan is to lay off running for a few more days. I do have a race this Sunday which was my first ever tri last year and was really excited to see how I've improved over the year.

Assuming this is an ITB issue, do I need to completely lay off running for a while or should I do a few easy runs and stop immediatly if I get pain during the run? If not, how do I know when I should run again?

Assuming it's not an ITB issue, what could it be? Possibly the lateral meniscus?

Sorry for such a long post.

2006-08-22 10:14 AM
in reply to: #518465

User image

, Texas
Subject: RE: Possible ITB problem (long)?
Thinking back some more, I do remember having a very minor left knee annoyance after my 9 mi. run on 8/2. The next day was a travel day for me, but it didn't progress.
2006-08-22 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
I don't know if it's your IT band.  If you're feeling it behind your knee cap it is probably Chondromalacia.  Symptoms include pain beneath or on the side of the kneecap. Caused by overtraining,hill running and running on cambered roads.  Also can happen if you over pronate or have weak quad muscles.(got this info out of a trusty running book I have)  It usually hurts after sitting for a while (like in a movie theatre).  Google it and see if you agree, and good luck!
2006-08-22 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I'm having ITB issues right now and actually found your post because I was about to post my own about ITB.  I have the ITB pain when i lift my leg.  It feels like someone has strapped 50lb weights to my leg and i can feel them everytime i lift my leg to go forward. ITB is typically the outside of the knee.  I had chondromalaysia about 8 years ago and it was more of an under the knee cap feeling.  For ITB stretching is the best; for CM, rest is the best...and pain killers.

Good luck!

2006-08-22 2:12 PM

User image

, Texas
Yes, my pain is on the outside of the knee, at the height that is about just under the kneecap. The kneecap reference was only added to give a description of where the pain is vertically. If only y'all could see me point to it I'd be much better at explaining it

I'll still check out Chondromalacia though.
2006-08-22 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
I started having problems w/ my IT band about 6 months ago.  I definitely felt pain while I  was running.  Usually you can't run through the pain.  If it's just now starting to get tight you may have a chance of fixing it before it knocks you out of training.  Look into getting a foam roller.  It has helped me a ton!  Good Luck w/ TNT.  I have done 2 events w/ them and mentored last year.  It's a great program.  Go TNT! 

2006-08-23 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
Lets assume it's ITband. You need to stretch the lateral (outside) leg, massage the lateral leg from your hip to your knee. To stretch: stand with that side toward the wall, put your hand on the wall for support, tilt your hip toward the wall (you'll be arched sideways a little), you should feel the stretch BELOW your waist, over your hip or leg NOT above your waist. If you feel it at your waist you're bending your body sideways too much and not moving your hip toward the wall enough. Much easier to see a picture of this and I'll see what I can find.

Besides IT band it could be a peroneal problem. Find the little boney bump on the outside of your leg just below your knee. Does it hurt? More importantly, does it hurt BELOW that?
2006-08-23 10:14 AM
in reply to: #519331

User image

, Texas
gair70.3 - 2006-08-23 8:08 AM

Besides IT band it could be a peroneal problem. Find the little boney bump on the outside of your leg just below your knee. Does it hurt? More importantly, does it hurt BELOW that?

It is just above this "little boney bump" and perhaps a bit more outside of the leg.

Everything I've read indicates it's an ITB pain, but I find it weird that it's never bothered me while running/cycling. I'm going to start running again with some added stretching and paying close attention to it. At the first sign of pain, I'm backing off.
2006-08-25 11:47 AM

User image

, Texas
Update:
I rode my bike for the first time since last Sat and I did get the discomfort in my knee after about 6 miles of moderately hard riding.

Is there any common causes of ITB issues from cycling?
2006-08-25 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
It is not uncommon in cycling or running. Usually tight lateral structures in the hip and leg that can be corrected by stretching. If you've been riding the same bike and setup for some time it is likely lack of flexibility. If you have a new bike you may need to be fitted properly.
2006-08-25 10:04 PM

User image

, Texas
I've only got about 400-500 miles on this bike, but I've had the cleat position for well over 1000 miles and as long as I've had clipless shoes. I did move the seat forward a little, but I don't believe I changed my position, just put more cusion under my butt.

Today, prior to riding home, I did modify the cleat position as my toes on the left foot were pointing inward a little. I got it pretty much straight and I had just about no discomfort in the knee. I'm going to wait until I get a few more rides in before I declare this the cause, though.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible ITB problem (long)? Rss Feed