2015-02-25 7:32 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Jason N

These are the one's I have.  I found they move and stretch quite well for me.  Had to get them in large though...where most everything else I wear is medium.

I own mostly Capo bibs.  Excellent product

I have a few pairs of bibs for riding and like my Capo bibs best (they're getting old now, but they're wearing VERY well over the years).  Gonna try a new brand this year, so I appreciate the discussion.

I've used one piece tri suits for Oly/Sprint and 2 piece for HIM, but think I'm going to just go 1 piece up through that distance (more comfy, I find).  If I REALLY need to stop and use the WC, I can drop trow pretty quickly (the oft cited benefit of a 2-piecer) no matter what I'm wearing.  Have yet to stop during any race, but I'm sure I can get the one piece off fast.

Undressing quickly when there's a pressing need... that's never slowed me down.  

Matt

2015-02-25 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marcag Louis Garneau is a Quebecer who is probably more famous for putting his arm around the queen than his biking apparel.

And I don't even know what queen this would be.

Queen Kaahumanu?

?

lol!

Easily my favorite Zanzibarian (as far as I know, at least).  

Matt

2015-02-25 7:47 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

These are the one's I have.  I found they move and stretch quite well for me.  Had to get them in large though...where most everything else I wear is medium.

I have a few pairs of bibs for riding and like my Capo bibs best (they're getting old now, but they're wearing VERY well over the years).  Gonna try a new brand this year, so I appreciate the discussion.

I've used one piece tri suits for Oly/Sprint and 2 piece for HIM, but think I'm going to just go 1 piece up through that distance (more comfy, I find).  If I REALLY need to stop and use the WC, I can drop trow pretty quickly (the oft cited benefit of a 2-piecer) no matter what I'm wearing.  Have yet to stop during any race, but I'm sure I can get the one piece off fast.

Matt

And hopefully one is out riding the bike and running more than ... taking care of business. A lot more.

Do the shorts not come with drawstrings? Those seem to knot up at the worst time.

Edited by brigby1 2015-02-25 7:48 PM
2015-02-25 10:44 PM

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Matt

And hopefully one is out riding the bike and running more than ... taking care of business. A lot more.

Do the shorts not come with drawstrings? Those seem to knot up at the worst time.

Going uh , number 1 is easy with tri bibs. Knock wood never had to do the other during a race, going on 10 years,,,,

Edited by ChrisM 2015-02-25 10:48 PM
2015-02-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro

Matt

These are the ones I got: http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=331&product_id=2338359&outlet=&color_code=4RL

They're part of the PowerBar team store this year, and the only offered bibs in men's sizing... but they work just fine.

2015-02-26 12:03 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ChrisM I haven't worn regular bike shorts in..... 2 years? I even bought de Soto tri bibs, did IM Canada I'm them and running the marathon in them (run in the ones with the fleece pad)
what do you find is the difference ? I have a pair, can't say I dislike, but they are no different than regular shorts for me. Then again, I am really bad at noticing differences between shorts a and shorts b.

No muffintop  

Keeps everything high and tight.....

We hav e group of guys and gals that have been racing together for years, and whenever we race on a team together (Ragnar, Ekiden, etc) we always race under the name "Muffin Tops." As we have all continued to get a little softer around the middle we have been talking about changing our team name to "Busted Can of Biscuits." And oh, FYI Marc - you probably don't want to google that.

Been wearing bibs almost forever - the first couple of pairs I had were sort of like a cross between bibs and braces - the straps came over the shoulders and buttoned down in front (I bought them on my first trip abroad; I think they may have been Santinis?). I liked them because they seemed, well, kinda pro. For a wile it got kind of hard to find bibs actually, I think because more and more high-tech elastic fabrics were invented. I for one am very happy that bibs have made penetration into the hobby market as it means that there are so many choices available. I do have a couple of pairs of bib-less shorts that I wear on the trainer though. Our team kits for the past two years have been Castelli, so that is what I wear (they are just fine) but I do like Desoto's like many others. 400 Milers are great on the road bike, but I prefer the tri-bibs when on the TT bike as I tend to sit a lot further forward on the nose of the saddle.

2015-02-26 12:05 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ChrisM I haven't worn regular bike shorts in..... 2 years? I even bought de Soto tri bibs, did IM Canada I'm them and running the marathon in them (run in the ones with the fleece pad)
what do you find is the difference ? I have a pair, can't say I dislike, but they are no different than regular shorts for me. Then again, I am really bad at noticing differences between shorts a and shorts b.

No muffintop  

Keeps everything high and tight.....

We hav e group of guys and gals that have been racing together for years, and whenever we race on a team together (Ragnar, Ekiden, etc) we always race under the name "Muffin Tops." As we have all continued to get a little softer around the middle we have been talking about changing our team name to "Busted Can of Biscuits." And oh, FYI Marc - you probably don't want to google that.

Been wearing bibs almost forever - the first couple of pairs I had were sort of like a cross between bibs and braces - the straps came over the shoulders and buttoned down in front (I bought them on my first trip abroad; I think they may have been Santinis?). I liked them because they seemed, well, kinda pro. For a wile it got kind of hard to find bibs actually, I think because more and more high-tech elastic fabrics were invented. I for one am very happy that bibs have made penetration into the hobby market as it means that there are so many choices available. I do have a couple of pairs of bib-less shorts that I wear on the trainer though. Our team kits for the past two years have been Castelli, so that is what I wear (they are just fine) but I do like Desoto's like many others. 400 Milers are great on the road bike, but I prefer the tri-bibs when on the TT bike as I tend to sit a lot further forward on the nose of the saddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1WY_BxSnD8

2015-02-26 12:08 PM

User image

Seattle

Also, my RACE REPORT!

THis is the first in a long series with a cash prize and I am super happy with my results but also the room for improvement (or "opportunities" as they would say at work)

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-02-26 12:08 PM
2015-02-26 12:16 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

This has been a real up-and-down week for me: Managed to run a sub-40 (39:17) 10K on Saturday, and the USAT rankings came out (made All-American, FWIW) and then on Monday evening/Tuesday morning I got HAMMERED by the flu which has been making its rounds at work for the past couple of weeks. Just now getting back on my feet a little, but not back at work until tomorrow. Now I am going to fix some chicken noodle soup and enjoy reading Salty's race report - the week is looking up once again!

2015-02-26 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

This has been a real up-and-down week for me: Managed to run a sub-40 (39:17) 10K on Saturday, and the USAT rankings came out (made All-American, FWIW) and then on Monday evening/Tuesday morning I got HAMMERED by the flu which has been making its rounds at work for the past couple of weeks. Just now getting back on my feet a little, but not back at work until tomorrow. Now I am going to fix some chicken noodle soup and enjoy reading Salty's race report - the week is looking up once again!

Congratulations!  And condolences (weird combination, that).

Awesome to break 40.  Awesome to make All-American.  Either one would make a heckuva week!

As for the flu, that sucks.  Period.  Remember when you're coming back to training to really listen to your body, as the residual effects can last longer than the most obvious one - it takes a lot out of you...

Now fix some soup and enjoy the RR (I'm off to read it myself!).

Matt

2015-02-26 1:17 PM

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Also, my RACE REPORT!

THis is the first in a long series with a cash prize and I am super happy with my results but also the room for improvement (or "opportunities" as they would say at work)

So you're going pro??

Great report, sounds like a fun race.  Still think you shoulda run him down though

2015-02-26 2:56 PM

User image

Seattle

Also, my RACE REPORT!

So you're going pro??

Great report, sounds like a fun race.  Still think you shoulda run him down though

I probably should have. I definitely had it in me but peeing my pants was likely and I was leading a group run immediately after. I still probably should have.

2015-02-26 3:06 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Also, my RACE REPORT!

So you're going pro??

I probably should have. I definitely had it in me but peeing my pants was likely and I was leading a group run immediately after. I still probably should have.

Now THAT would have been sooooooo Pro.

2015-02-27 4:17 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Whoop! Just got my Zwift Mac beta invite this morning. Now if I just had the time to give it a whirl....
2015-02-27 8:38 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I got my non-MAC invite a few weeks ago, but alas - my old PC isn't going to cut it, so I'll not be playing anytime soon.  Truth is, I do all my trainer rides based on set workouts and power targets so it's best to stay structured and I can still ride real life videos off the trainer if I want and go climb a mountain in Europe.

Funny enough I had a very structured treadmill workout yesterday and it dawned on while I was running, that up until yesterday I had never used the incline function on the treadmill.  I always just set it at 1% and off I go.  Yesterday I had to mix it up and ran at 2,3,4% and it was harder than I'd imagined it would be.  I liked  the variation, and I liked it even more on the intervals where I got to drop to a lower % again.

2015-02-27 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'd love to try Zwift but my internet connection at home is so flaky that I think it would be too frustrating. 

I've been a bit under the weather since getting home.  Nothing major but just off a bit - I did a bike workout yesterday morning and after doing that and then eating breakfast I felt like garbage and it persisted all day.  Still not 100% this morning.  Tab has been hit really hard, she hasn't been back to work since we got home.  I'm hoping I don't get what she has!

I've got my P3 setup to the measurements from the fit session.  I ended up moving quite a few things!  Saddle height was pretty much right on but I did move it back about 1cm (which I guess means it was a bit low before).  I took all the spacers out from under the stem and moved the aerobars forward.  I haven't actually tried it yet but when I stand over it and look down at the aerobars, my first thought was "daaaammmmn that's a long way down there".    Should be interesting to try!

2015-02-27 11:11 AM

User image

Seattle

Also, my RACE REPORT!

So you're going pro??

Now THAT would have been sooooooo Pro.

Oh, I've done it before. In a 5K no less...

2015-02-27 12:37 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

I'd love to try Zwift but my internet connection at home is so flaky that I think it would be too frustrating. 

I've been a bit under the weather since getting home.  Nothing major but just off a bit - I did a bike workout yesterday morning and after doing that and then eating breakfast I felt like garbage and it persisted all day.  Still not 100% this morning.  Tab has been hit really hard, she hasn't been back to work since we got home.  I'm hoping I don't get what she has!

I've got my P3 setup to the measurements from the fit session.  I ended up moving quite a few things!  Saddle height was pretty much right on but I did move it back about 1cm (which I guess means it was a bit low before).  I took all the spacers out from under the stem and moved the aerobars forward.  I haven't actually tried it yet but when I stand over it and look down at the aerobars, my first thought was "daaaammmmn that's a long way down there".    Should be interesting to try!

Do you have a before picture?  I know you posted one while working with Jim, but I'm assuming that's the end result.  Just wondering what the difference looks like, and how you think it feels afterwards.

2015-02-27 1:06 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Do you have a before picture?  I know you posted one while working with Jim, but I'm assuming that's the end result.  Just wondering what the difference looks like, and how you think it feels afterwards.

If I had been smart I would have taken some video and pics before I changed anything but I didn't think of that.  This is probably the best race pic I have to compare with (I flipped it to face the same direction...)

(0219_28223-flip.jpg)

(Post-Fit_Arend.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0219_28223-flip.jpg (221KB - 2 downloads)
Post-Fit_Arend.jpg (87KB - 3 downloads)
2015-02-27 1:09 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

It doesn't look all that different to me!

ETA: except for the muffin top in the first (non bib) pic. 

Edited by axteraa 2015-02-27 1:19 PM
2015-02-27 1:27 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

less biscuits.

2015-02-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by GoFaster

I got my non-MAC invite a few weeks ago, but alas - my old PC isn't going to cut it, so I'll not be playing anytime soon.  Truth is, I do all my trainer rides based on set workouts and power targets so it's best to stay structured and I can still ride real life videos off the trainer if I want and go climb a mountain in Europe.

Funny enough I had a very structured treadmill workout yesterday and it dawned on while I was running, that up until yesterday I had never used the incline function on the treadmill.  I always just set it at 1% and off I go.  Yesterday I had to mix it up and ran at 2,3,4% and it was harder than I'd imagined it would be.  I liked  the variation, and I liked it even more on the intervals where I got to drop to a lower % again.

Yeah- that is really what I am thinking as well re: structured workouts. I keep thinking "now when will I have a time in my training schedule when I can try zwift out?" The cycling team here on campus all got the hook-up at their race last weekend and are riding it like crazy though.... I seriously think it is taking the place of their regular video game playing time, which, in the end, is kinda the point, right?

2015-02-27 7:18 PM

User image

That's the only thing I was able to notice as well...HAH

2015-03-01 8:35 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

My bike has been inside on the trainer since...forever. I'm going to blame the dog/cat shedding but I had to clean my chain/cassette this weekend. It was filthy. Not road grime filthy but dirty enough. And since no one's b*tched about the weather in at least a page, the bottle of chain cleaner (stored in the garage) was frozen solid. On the upside, I felt faster with a clean bike.  

2015-03-01 10:21 PM

User image

Another big climbing day today.  First long ride with just the power tap and no quarq and it was refreshing to see much higher numbers as positive reinforcement when things are tough and also not going beyond your limits when you think you're within them.  Fitness is starting to come around....just need to keep working on the diet.

about 76 miles and 8600 feet of gain.

Edited by Jason N 2015-03-01 10:23 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (210KB - 2 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).