in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by ChrisM

Anyone had one of those seasons that just never seemed to jump start properly??

I just did the 11th iteration of the first tri I ever did last weekend so I've been at it for a little while.  This is the first year I have not raced before June (barring a couple seasons where due to health issues I couldn't), and between taking a 2 week vacation and various small, niggling injuries, sicknesses, etc, I just haven't hit my stride yet.  And it's friggin' JUNE!  

One of the benefits and drawbacks of living in Southern California is we can race from essentially March to December, which I have done to varying degrees of success and failure.  Usually if I start in March or April, I find it hard to give a rip about the October race as i'm just pretty much over it by then.  Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise, as I can peak in the fall    But the year so far has felt like one step forward two steps back.

Also doesn't help that the inevitable has happened, and my performance (due to a combo of age and fitness) actually declined this year.  As an adult onset athlete I've been able to dodge this particular bullet to date. 

Anyway, that's my rant/whine for the day

Pshh yeah. Last year. Got sick 2 days before my marathon (which you can't exactly just go try again a few weeks later) had to have surgery, leaving me racing the 10K national championship with 0 training and then got punched in the nose by a rando, demolishing both my XC season AND my marathon build (although trying to multi task XC and marathon is on me lol)

Hopefully it's not still snowing in Canada...

My dad took this picture June 7th.

(SnowInJune-s.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
SnowInJune-s.jpg (445KB - 6 downloads)

2015-06-18 4:58 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Has anyone ever done a (guided) bike tour vacation?  I'm looking to do one next year in the September/October time frame, but I'm very picky about what I want.  I want a tour that does a decent amount of riding (50-100 miles a day at a spirited pace) in a non-touristy location where we'll get to see the culture, and most importantly -- must have fantastic food and wine. 

I found InGamba, which offers basically everything I want, as long as it's in Italy (Tuscany / Chianti) or Portugal (Lisbon).  But I'm also strongly considering the wine regions of France or Argentina as well, and curious if there are similar organizers in those locations that anyone knows about. 

This would be part of a 2-3 week trip, and I'd be looking to ride for 1-2 weeks of it.  I could go either way on renting versus bringing my own bike.

You just described the vacation we've been saying we want to do for the last few years!

While we were at our B&B in Sonoma we talked to a couple that had used VBT for tours in France and said it was awesome.  I'm not sure they fit the spirited pace part though, I haven't really looked at what they offer yet.

2015-06-18 5:54 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by axteraa

Has anyone ever done a (guided) bike tour vacation?  I'm looking to do one next year in the September/October time frame, but I'm very picky about what I want.  I want a tour that does a decent amount of riding (50-100 miles a day at a spirited pace) in a non-touristy location where we'll get to see the culture, and most importantly -- must have fantastic food and wine. 

I found InGamba, which offers basically everything I want, as long as it's in Italy (Tuscany / Chianti) or Portugal (Lisbon).  But I'm also strongly considering the wine regions of France or Argentina as well, and curious if there are similar organizers in those locations that anyone knows about. 

This would be part of a 2-3 week trip, and I'd be looking to ride for 1-2 weeks of it.  I could go either way on renting versus bringing my own bike.

You just described the vacation we've been saying we want to do for the last few years!

While we were at our B&B in Sonoma we talked to a couple that had used VBT for tours in France and said it was awesome.  I'm not sure they fit the spirited pace part though, I haven't really looked at what they offer yet.

So why use a guide-type service? Is it just a little too daunting thinking of the logistics or is there some other advantage?

You could do it relatively inexpensively if self-guided. And then you have a ton of flexibility and adventure. But perhaps there is a piece of this I don't know about. 

2015-06-18 6:07 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

So why use a guide-type service? Is it just a little too daunting thinking of the logistics or is there some other advantage?

You could do it relatively inexpensively if self-guided. And then you have a ton of flexibility and adventure. But perhaps there is a piece of this I don't know about. 

Yeah, just the logistics of it and not having to worry about any of it.  Show up and ride, someone else moves my stuff from place to place.  I'm not at all against self guided, that's essentially what we did last week in Sonoma and actually now that we've done that I'm much more open to it.  I'd be more inclined to do something like that in France where I speak the language.  

2015-06-18 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Would you be opposed to self-guided?

I have thought about self-guided, but this would be a solo adventure, and I'm not sure I'd feel entirely comfortable riding around an area with a culture I don't know and a language I don't speak.  

2015-06-19 7:58 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Nicole - what a great opportunity to be able to put together such a trip! I have never done an organized tour like you are describing, but I have lots of friends that have done various types. The version that sounds the most appealing to me is one that some avid travel-cycling friends of ours have done a couple of times in different locations in Europe. They are basically week-long cruises on luxury river barges that have 4~8 staterooms, so typically 8~16 passengers - basically a floating B&B. As you probably know most of "Old Europe" has an extensive network of waterways that was developed before the advent of the steam locomotive, and most of which is still navigable. I may not have it quite right but I think my friends did on trip that went from Paris to Amsterdam and traveled through Belgium with stops in Bruges, Antwerp, and Gent. With lots of other stops along the way. The Barge has a schedule of stops and utilizing their bikes they would get off and ride as much or as little as they wanted each day catching back up with the barge along the way. They could eat aboard, or while they were out and about. It sounded to me like a very, very cool way to spend a sort of semi-structured week traveling. All of your stuff basically floats along and meets up with you wherever you decide along the route. I think they also did it one time for a week in Italy traveling through the Po valley on the way to Venice, but I am guessing there are various options of such a thing all over the UK and around Europe.

2015-06-19 8:12 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by brigby1

I just did the 11th iteration of the first tri I ever did last weekend so I've been at it for a little while.  This is the first year I have not raced before June (barring a couple seasons where due to health issues I couldn't), and between taking a 2 week vacation and various small, niggling injuries, sicknesses, etc, I just haven't hit my stride yet.  And it's friggin' JUNE!  

One of the benefits and drawbacks of living in Southern California is we can race from essentially March to December, which I have done to varying degrees of success and failure.  Usually if I start in March or April, I find it hard to give a rip about the October race as i'm just pretty much over it by then.  Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise, as I can peak in the fall    But the year so far has felt like one step forward two steps back.

Also doesn't help that the inevitable has happened, and my performance (due to a combo of age and fitness) actually declined this year.  As an adult onset athlete I've been able to dodge this particular bullet to date. 

Like mine? Right there with you in this. I did one race back in January I probably should have skipped (injury). Have passed on or dropped out of at least a dozen other things I had wanted to do. Redone the scheduling I don't know how many times now and still don't have anything in. Not even just an event ride you show up and go around. Sickness, injury, and bad weather has really made a mess of things. I don't have race reports or even posted about doing anything besides workouts because there is absolutely nothing to post about.

Maybe it is something with the group, but count me in as well. I started the early part of the year out well with a couple of very good running performances, but since then I have had a race canceled because of weather, missed one due to illness, one because of a death in the family, crashed out of my most recent one, and now swapped to a relay in my upcoming race, due to those injuries and not really sure when I will be able to run again. And my elbow thing seems to be wanting to flare back up again as well. I am signed up for 4 more triathlons this season, including AG OLY Nationals and Draft-Legal Sprint Nationals. Both of those would require A LOT of swimming work, and I have not ben able to put in the pool time I need due to the elbow, and now due to the crash. So really on the fence about should I try to salvage the season or should I pivot my attention. My cycling is actually coming along well and I am enjoying it quite a bit, so I am contemplating just focusing on that and trying to have a solid fall cycling season.

That is the way it goes of course, and sometimes more often than not. The tough part is that last year I had one of those EXTREMELY rare seasons that was just the opposite where everything hit just right. I hit every workout for months on end without complication or disruption, and executed every race just about as well as I could expect, winding up on the top of the podium (except at nationals of course) but even there I had a break-out performance for me, and ended the year making the all-american roster. This season just does not seem like it is ever going to get going for me, but that is just part of the long, long game we are playing I suppose.

2015-06-19 10:51 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by TankBoy

Like mine? Right there with you in this. I did one race back in January I probably should have skipped (injury). Have passed on or dropped out of at least a dozen other things I had wanted to do. Redone the scheduling I don't know how many times now and still don't have anything in. Not even just an event ride you show up and go around. Sickness, injury, and bad weather has really made a mess of things. I don't have race reports or even posted about doing anything besides workouts because there is absolutely nothing to post about.

Maybe it is something with the group, but count me in as well. I started the early part of the year out well with a couple of very good running performances, but since then I have had a race canceled because of weather, missed one due to illness, one because of a death in the family, crashed out of my most recent one, and now swapped to a relay in my upcoming race, due to those injuries and not really sure when I will be able to run again. And my elbow thing seems to be wanting to flare back up again as well. I am signed up for 4 more triathlons this season, including AG OLY Nationals and Draft-Legal Sprint Nationals. Both of those would require A LOT of swimming work, and I have not ben able to put in the pool time I need due to the elbow, and now due to the crash. So really on the fence about should I try to salvage the season or should I pivot my attention. My cycling is actually coming along well and I am enjoying it quite a bit, so I am contemplating just focusing on that and trying to have a solid fall cycling season.

That is the way it goes of course, and sometimes more often than not. The tough part is that last year I had one of those EXTREMELY rare seasons that was just the opposite where everything hit just right. I hit every workout for months on end without complication or disruption, and executed every race just about as well as I could expect, winding up on the top of the podium (except at nationals of course) but even there I had a break-out performance for me, and ended the year making the all-american roster. This season just does not seem like it is ever going to get going for me, but that is just part of the long, long game we are playing I suppose.

Welp, there are no peaks without valleys, right? I'd take that topography any day over a  plateau

2015-06-19 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I recommend taking a look at Bike Tours Direct. It's a US clearinghouse that helps you book tours with a variety of European operators (as well as a few further afield in Asia and North Africa). They personally vet the tours and do a great job of providing info in English about each one. Mom and I have done maybe ten or twelve trips with them and never had a bad ride. They range from pretty leisurely river path rides on up to hard-core Alpine rides of 75+ miles a day. Most rides are available in both self-guided and guided versions. You have a bigger choice of dates, and lower cost, with self-guided. I'm the "navigator" on our trips and with rare exceptions, the network of bike trails and routes in Europe keeps things pretty straightforward. I speak passable "tourist German" but really no other European languages, and was able to figure out routes, etc. with no problem. (Rural Hungary was the one area where things got a little dicey. It was a bit less developed, with fewer accurate maps and English speakers.) Two years ago, we did back to back rides around Provence and a three-country tour called Dolomites to Trieste that weaves in and out of Austria, Slovenia, and Italy. On the latter, there are options most days which can make the distance longer or shorter. There is also a huge web of trails connecting various points in those countries if you wanted to do some DIY touring. We've also done a lot of riding just within Austria, which has some amazing wine regions as well. Anything in Germany, Austria, or Hungary put on by the organization Donau Radfreunde (Bicycle Friends of the Danube) is a good bet for a guided or self-guided tour.

One awesome ride that stands out in particular is the bike path up the Val de Venosta outside Merano, Italy all the way up to the Swiss border and beyond. It is easily accessed by train from Bolzano. Bolzano is at the hub of a huge system of dedicated bike trails that go up and down the various river valleys of Alto Adige/Sudtirol. You can do the whole Venosta ride--about 80 miles-- one-way in a day using the train to go back, or do it in segments. I can't say enough about the area--great wine, beautiful riding, hiking and walking, a fascinating blend of cultures and cuisines. There are plenty of guided rides in the area or you can DIY; quite easy to get a rental for the day or week or you can bring your own. There is a huge biking culture in the area and lots of shops, cafes, guesthouses, etc. oriented toward bike tourists.
2015-06-19 12:09 PM

User image

Seattle

Nicole - what a great opportunity to be able to put together such a trip! I have never done an organized tour like you are describing, but I have lots of friends that have done various types. The version that sounds the most appealing to me is one that some avid travel-cycling friends of ours have done a couple of times in different locations in Europe. They are basically week-long cruises on luxury river barges that have 4~8 staterooms, so typically 8~16 passengers - basically a floating B&B. As you probably know most of "Old Europe" has an extensive network of waterways that was developed before the advent of the steam locomotive, and most of which is still navigable. I may not have it quite right but I think my friends did on trip that went from Paris to Amsterdam and traveled through Belgium with stops in Bruges, Antwerp, and Gent. With lots of other stops along the way. The Barge has a schedule of stops and utilizing their bikes they would get off and ride as much or as little as they wanted each day catching back up with the barge along the way. They could eat aboard, or while they were out and about. It sounded to me like a very, very cool way to spend a sort of semi-structured week traveling. All of your stuff basically floats along and meets up with you wherever you decide along the route. I think they also did it one time for a week in Italy traveling through the Po valley on the way to Venice, but I am guessing there are various options of such a thing all over the UK and around Europe.

That sounds awesome!!!!! 

I am overwhelmed by my desire for adventure and there seems to not be enough time in the world to accomplish my to do list. Now I've got another thing to add to my list. Thanks Rusty.

2015-06-19 1:58 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Welp, there are no peaks without valleys, right? I'd take that topography any day over a  plateau

Amen, Sister. That is the gospel truth!

2015-06-19 2:02 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Here is a screen grab from my Garmin toward the end of my recovery ride earlier today. I saw very little snow.

2015-06-19 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Amen, Sister. That is the gospel truth!

Yeah, yeah....rub it in :P

2015-06-19 6:03 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

You guys are killing me.  A European riverboat tour is also very high on our list.  Combine that with bikes??  Mind.Blown.  

Any idea what company they went with Rusty?

2015-06-19 6:04 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Here is a screen grab from my Garmin toward the end of my recovery ride earlier today. I saw very little snow.

Good grief.  It was 101 the day we arrived in Sonoma and I barely made it from the car to our room.

2015-06-19 6:40 PM

Master
Northern IL

Good grief.  It was 101 the day we arrived in Sonoma and I barely made it from the car to our room.

Add in the 2:20 duration plus 193 NP and I'm wondering how the term "recovery" fits in there!

2015-06-19 7:00 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

You guys are killing me.  A European riverboat tour is also very high on our list.  Combine that with bikes??  Mind.Blown.  

Any idea what company they went with Rusty?

No, but I will call 'em up and find out. From the time they were telling us about it over dinner we were hooked. They had road bikes with them (and evidently all of the riverboats have bikes on board for the passengers to use) but as they were describing it I actually wondered if cross/gravel bikes would be better. The boat will evidently stop wherever you want and let you off/pick you up. If you are not in town there is always a tow path on both sides of the river/canal. Both times they also rented a car for a day in town and drove around - they basically just used the barge as a floating B&B but they never had to pack up and vacate each day. Sounded brilliant to me as well.

2015-06-19 7:02 PM

User image

Add in the 2:20 duration plus 193 NP and I'm wondering how the term "recovery" fits in there!

You all aren't paying attention.  It's Rusty's backdoor brag that his FTP is 400 and 2:20 recovery rides are normally done at 55% (220 watts), but because it was 103 degrees, he had to do it at 48% of FTP.

2015-06-19 7:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

You all aren't paying attention.  It's Rusty's backdoor brag that his FTP is 400 and 2:20 recovery rides are normally done at 55% (220 watts), but because it was 103 degrees, he had to do it at 48% of FTP.

Boom. Caught. Out.

Ha-Ha - yeah, it was a little longer than it was supposed to be (i'll be in trouble for that tomorrow), but VERY easy. Tested LTHR is 180 on the bike - that over-all effort is right at the tippy-top of my recovery effort. The heat did have my HR spike a bit in the last 30 minutes, so HR is a bit overstated from effort. I really shoulda had more than two bottles with me, but didn't really plan to ride that long. It was just such a nice day and work was not bothering.

Jason does touch on an interesting thing that often goes over looked though: I don't  think "% of power = effort" scales in a simple linear fashion between us little under-powered folks and FTP monsters like Ben, et. al. At some point you just gotta get over the hills, and there is just a floor to do so. Unless of course you want to get off and push.

*edited: said % of HR when I meant to say % of power.

Edited by TankBoy 2015-06-19 7:29 PM
2015-06-19 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Boom. Caught. Out.

Ha-Ha - yeah, it was a little longer than it was supposed to be (i'll be in trouble for that tomorrow), but VERY easy. Tested LTHR is 180 on the bike - that over-all effort is right at the tippy-top of my recovery effort. The heat did have my HR spike a bit in the last 30 minutes, so HR is a bit overstated from effort. I really shoulda had more than two bottles with me, but didn't really plan to ride that long. It was just such a nice day and work was not bothering.

Jason does touch on an interesting thing that often goes over looked though: I don't  think "% of power = effort" scales in a simple linear fashion between us little under-powered folks and FTP monsters like Ben, et. al. At some point you just gotta get over the hills, and there is just a floor to do so. Unless of course you want to get off and push.

2 questions:

1) How bad was the humidity? 

2) If 103 is a "nice day", what is a hot day? I rode through the woods tonight in 90*/90% and was whipped by the end of the hour.

2015-06-19 8:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

Curious what has you thinking it's different for various FTPs? Our Threshold HR is very similar and the average HR is saying much the same thing. I do agree that there is a point on the hills that one may need to decide on having to get off the bike or ride harder, but such a decision may change the nature of the ride depending on how much harder and how much longer one is pushing longer. 

I don't know that it's necessarily a big sticking point here as I'm not looking at a larger part of the plan. Just the conflation of "recovery" and "easy" efforts has become a bit of a peeve. I think the group here generally gets the difference, but many others do not. Often fully equating the terms. Had a similar discussion with my brother recently where he called his ride mostly recovery with an ave HR of 144 and peak of 174 (also similar THR HR). Per something like the TP power and HR zones, recovery is <55% FTP and <68% HR, or <122 bpm. I think like 2/3 of his ride was actually above 135. It wasn't a big ride, maybe an hour, so not a lot of stress built up and entirely possible to recovery from quite easily. Just didn't fit into what I would call a recovery ride as there was enough effort in there to add to the aerobic stress load. I do get into Z2 in the recovery rides (for a minute or two at times), and they seem to have a better effect when I do, but the overall averages were still safely in Z1. Like ave HR of 117 or IF of 0.48.

2015-06-19 8:56 PM

User image

This is why I run a 12-32 cassette in training (52/36 up front).  A lot of people crack jokes at me but I can easily spin up 6-7% grades at 170-180 watts at a comfortable cadence.  If grades get closer to 10%, I can still keep my power down, but the cadence drops below 70 and it just feels better to put out a little more power.

During hard training rides I'll almost never use the 32 unless things get really steep...but it's just nice to have it there so I can stay in my desired zones and not feel like walking my bike.  

2015-06-20 4:33 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

That's another reason I've left the 11-28 on all the time (besides simply not wanting to change it out every other week!). I don't *need* the -28 to get up any hill around here (or bump, for Rusty), but it is nicer to spin a little more on rides where the goal is to keep it down lower, even though this hasn't been a recovery ride for me. Riding 60-70% for a few hours has been. The length of the hills is really short here, but another way to look at it is taking away surges out numerous "corners" as they're not much longer than that. 

2015-06-20 4:36 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

And Finally got something in. Just a recreational ride, but it was an organized event and I paid for it. Been watching more of the stats from the power data now. 4,719 kJ on this one. TSS of 340. And it actually doesn't feel too bad. Has me wondering about some others I've done in the past.

ETA: It's the KJ that has been getting my attention more recently. Why do we eat so much? 1kJ=1kcal=1Cal. Takes a fair amount of food to get to that.

Edited by brigby1 2015-06-20 5:07 PM
2015-06-22 10:53 AM

User image

Seattle

And Finally got something in. Just a recreational ride, but it was an organized event and I paid for it. Been watching more of the stats from the power data now. 4,719 kJ on this one. TSS of 340. And it actually doesn't feel too bad. Has me wondering about some others I've done in the past.

ETA: It's the KJ that has been getting my attention more recently. Why do we eat so much? 1kJ=1kcal=1Cal. Takes a fair amount of food to get to that.

Ha! Did our conversation inspire you???

That's great. So glad to hear you are jumping back in some events. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).