General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the Trainer Road experts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-12 9:07 AM

Subject: Question for the Trainer Road experts
I am new to indoor training and trainer road and recently started a training plan (Novice century low volume) and want to make sure I am doing it right.

I am using virtual power on a Cyclops fluid trainer and did an FTP test at the start to get a basis.

So basically, while doing the workout trainer road gives me a target power and a recommended cadence (as a side note, I have always rode around an 80rpm cadence and these workouts are really helping be get that up to the 95 range).

So I am assuming my role is to find a gear on the bike that allows me to ride with a recommended cadence and maintain the target power. Is that correct?

The part that concerns me is that while doing the long rides this weekend, that gear had me in the small ring up front and maybe the 3rd or 4th ring in the back. I just can't picture myself riding in that gear outside. During the sprint tri's I did last year most of my riding was on the big ring and 4th or 5th in the back (although the cadence was much lower).

So am I doing this right? I just don't want to get 3 or 4 weeks into this plan and not get any benefit.

2015-01-12 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Question for the Trainer Road experts
I use TrainerRoad, but am not a cycling expert, but will try to answer your question.

Basically, I would ignore the gear combination you are using on the trainer...it really has no correlation with what you will be doing on the road.

The gear combination you are using on the trainer is just what happens to be needed to get the proper power output, and perceived effort based on the rear wheel speed and trainer resistance. On the road, to get the same power output will most certainly require a different rear wheel rpm. That is also why you will "ignore" any speed calcualtion shown in TrainerRoad output. It really has no meaning.

A poor job of explaining I know but hope this helps.

Edit to add: FYI, I am a big fan of indoor cycling training. I have seen much more improvement in my cycling since I started using it in the winter. For me, the biggest advantage is being able to have a specific workout to accomplishment as opposed to just riding around my normal routes on the road.

if you stick with it, I think you will see much improvement from it also.

Edited by buck1400 2015-01-12 9:38 AM
2015-01-12 10:09 AM
in reply to: houtexan

User image

Yes, you are doing it correctly! Remember, power is speed x force. By increasing pedal speed, you take some of the force off of your legs/joints which will help out tremendously in longer rides/races. Just because you are in a smaller gear than you're used to, should not mean you're going any slower.

As long as your FTP test was accurate, keeping at the recommended cadence and hitting your power targets will yield tremendous benefits. When you're riding outside you'll have to really pay attention to your level of exertion and try to maintain your high cadence while also keeping your power up. Without the TR display, it could be easy to let either cadence or power slip when you're adopting a new technique like this.

-Trevor from TrainerRoad
2015-01-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: houtexan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by houtexan I am new to indoor training and trainer road and recently started a training plan (Novice century low volume) and want to make sure I am doing it right. I am using virtual power on a Cyclops fluid trainer and did an FTP test at the start to get a basis.

So basically, while doing the workout trainer road gives me a target power and a recommended cadence (as a side note, I have always rode around an 80rpm cadence and these workouts are really helping be get that up to the 95 range).

So I am assuming my role is to find a gear on the bike that allows me to ride with a recommended cadence and maintain the target power. Is that correct?

Yes

The part that concerns me is that while doing the long rides this weekend, that gear had me in the small ring up front and maybe the 3rd or 4th ring in the back. I just can't picture myself riding in that gear outside. During the sprint tri's I did last year most of my riding was on the big ring and 4th or 5th in the back (although the cadence was much lower). So am I doing this right? I just don't want to get 3 or 4 weeks into this plan and not get any benefit.

The power output matters. The specific gear you use does not. Keep adjusting things to match up with what TR says, and the priority is on the power output. Cadence sort of in the ball park of recommendations is nice, but put more emphasis on matching power.

You do care about speed, but only so much that TR can give you consistent numbers. Myself and others also change cassettes in the back between various ride types and races, so the 3rd, 4th or 5th gear idea doesn't really have much relevance either.

2015-01-12 10:38 AM
in reply to: #5082493

User image

I agree with what has been said but thought I would mention that you should retest in a few weeks. I've found that FTP tests are a learned skill and it takes a few times to learn how hard you can actually go out and maintain it for the full 20 minutes (or 8, depending on the test)
2015-01-12 11:10 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
I retest EVERY few weeks.

I enjoy it as a workout in of itself, and learning to go hard for 20 minutes is great for my 10 mile time trials and a sprint tri coming up :p

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the Trainer Road experts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

trainer road question on accuracy.

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1086 Posts: 13

2014-11-05 10:01 AM DaveL

Trainer Road question

Started by kskonkol
Views: 907 Posts: 5

2013-12-09 1:13 PM kskonkol

Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer

Started by guitarfrk75
Views: 1516 Posts: 6

2013-02-21 10:34 AM reidweber

Trainer Road question

Started by iruptacopula
Views: 4818 Posts: 20

2013-01-11 5:36 PM BigDaddyD79

Tri Bike vs. Road Bike (expert advice needed)

Started by strojny06
Views: 2311 Posts: 25

2009-08-19 10:45 AM Global
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.