General Discussion Triathlon Talk » After the race training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-15 11:44 AM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Subject: After the race training

It seems like all the training plans that I have looked at are designed for a single event (i.e. build up, peak, taper off to race day). What does a person do if they have a race planned say a month after the first one they trained for? Just follow the last four weeks of the plan they are using or are there maintenance plans out there? Is there a different approach?

2015-02-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: After the race training
You need to prioritize your races. One will be your "A" race and one will be your "B" race. What you do in between those two races will vary slightly depending on which one is your "A" race.
2015-02-15 2:37 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

You need to prioritize your races. One will be your "A" race and one will be your "B" race. What you do in between those two races will vary slightly depending on which one is your "A" race.

I hope to have a sprint race every month this summer starting in May with my final race of the year in September. I am also hoping I can get into a training routine that will allow for my "A" race to be the last one of the year resulting with my best time. If I followed any of the sprint plans I have seen so far I wouldn't even start training for the "A" race until around July.
2015-02-15 3:53 PM

Originally posted by RockHead

It seems like all the training plans that I have looked at are designed for a single event (i.e. build up, peak, taper off to race day). What does a person do if they have a race planned say a month after the first one they trained for? Just follow the last four weeks of the plan they are using or are there maintenance plans out there? Is there a different approach?

Actually, yes, that's about right. I'll end up reaching a point in my training plan where I'm constrained by time and simply cannot do anymore training during a particular week. I'll then just repeat that week for most of the season backing off before important races.

2015-02-16 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
There is a whole lot of complexity that goes into answering that question. In fact, the major reason I got a coach was to help me have a plan beyond each single event. But that's sort of a cop-out way to answer. Just some thoughts from my simplistic standpoint.

- As the poster above stated, it helps to rank the races in order of priority. That will dictate how much prep you put into the race. Traditional wisdom is that race them all hard but for your A races and a lesser extent your B races you will prep (mainly taper) more. The Cs and to a certain extent your B races you train right through, except...
- Make sure you are adequately recovering from all the races. I injured myself because last fall I went all out in lower priority race and then went too hard a few days after. This is one reason you might not want to just repeat the last month of your single event training plan over and over. It's not going to account for recovery.
- As I mentioned at the outset, there is a whole science behind stress / recovery and unless you have some plan to optimize it you are, well, suboptimized. Before I got a coach, I was self-training with the Training Bible by Joel Friel. It helps you put together a plan for the entire year and gets you into periodization, etc. I'm not sure if it's still cutting edge according to the cool kids but it's really logical and helpful.
2015-02-17 6:18 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Originally posted by smoom

There is a whole lot of complexity that goes into answering that question. In fact, the major reason I got a coach was to help me have a plan beyond each single event. But that's sort of a cop-out way to answer. Just some thoughts from my simplistic standpoint.

- As the poster above stated, it helps to rank the races in order of priority. That will dictate how much prep you put into the race. Traditional wisdom is that race them all hard but for your A races and a lesser extent your B races you will prep (mainly taper) more. The Cs and to a certain extent your B races you train right through, except...
- Make sure you are adequately recovering from all the races. I injured myself because last fall I went all out in lower priority race and then went too hard a few days after. This is one reason you might not want to just repeat the last month of your single event training plan over and over. It's not going to account for recovery.
- As I mentioned at the outset, there is a whole science behind stress / recovery and unless you have some plan to optimize it you are, well, suboptimized. Before I got a coach, I was self-training with the Training Bible by Joel Friel. It helps you put together a plan for the entire year and gets you into periodization, etc. I'm not sure if it's still cutting edge according to the cool kids but it's really logical and helpful.

Thank you. That is some great information.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » After the race training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best race / training combo

Started by jesse_d
Views: 866 Posts: 4

2008-05-22 1:22 PM the bear

Multiple Race Training Question

Started by BucNIowa
Views: 1250 Posts: 4

2008-01-30 1:55 AM vinnieds

Protein in race/training nutrition?

Started by jsnowash
Views: 931 Posts: 2

2007-09-22 12:47 PM brown_dog_us

Prioritizing my racing & training upgrades...

Started by mswrites
Views: 1170 Posts: 8

2007-04-22 4:27 AM mswrites

Advice needed to reverse post-race training lethargy

Started by dovmike
Views: 817 Posts: 6

2005-06-02 10:39 AM dhlundblad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : September 23, 2008
author : sportfactory
As you approach your goal race it is important to train as you will race. The last thing you want is to be surprised on race day.
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.
date : November 14, 2004
author : trilover
Clas Bjorling is making his mark on the sport of triathlon at a young age. Bjorling has stormed onto the Ironman distance circuit with recent impressive results.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.