BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)
I guess I have to ask this then...how do you, Stacey and Ben, define male and female? (this can be rhetorical) I just see lines becoming more blurry in the future. Then what?

2015-05-15 11:59 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

That wasn't really the part I was responding to before, but I don't really know for sure anymore. There were a number of possible partial development situations brought up when the Caster case was more in the spotlight. It was mind boggling what all could go on if one had never thought about it before. Thankfully I'm not in a position where I have to figure that out, or maybe I haven't come to some conclusion because of that? Hoping the people who are understand it better than I do.

2015-05-16 12:45 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I guess I have to ask this then...how do you, Stacey and Ben, define male and female? (this can be rhetorical) I just see lines becoming more blurry in the future. Then what?
If I'm honest Erin I have never really put any thought into that question because I have never been confronted with needing too. And I don't know the answer. It is something that I would need to spend sometime thinking about and I don't think that you are ever going to come up with a solution that satisfies everyone.
2015-05-16 4:04 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Seattle
I understand what you guys are saying about it not being fair to compare if it's not apples to apples. I agree. It's not. But I do believe that discrepancy of the amount of lower wage jobs, filled by more women then men is another big issue. One in large parr due to less women getting a higher level of education and one that I think is starting to change. Another, and you touched on this, is a large portion of women are the ones taking a portion of time off work to have a baby. It's difficult to take that kind of time off and have a significant amount of career growth. Which is why it often makes sense for the male to continue with his career which often means surpassing his wife (if he hadn't already) I think this is staring to change a little with more opportunities for paternity leave but the momentum needs to continue. The men should be supported by all, to make the decision to be the one to stay home. Socially, in the workplace and by their friends family and partners. And of course the option for both to split duties. I think there needs to be a bit more of a shift and openness to breaking the molds of "traditional "roles.
2015-05-16 5:38 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Would the advancing education be related to the type of jobs women are taking more of now? Where I'm at basically every administrative assistant type position (as I understand it at least) is being performed by a woman. Very strongly populated by at least. I don't know what they are currently doing or can do to advance directly through that line of work. But when looking at the women in the many engineering and science positions it seems that a lot of them are advancing their education, getting a masters and such.

2015-05-16 7:24 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

Would the advancing education be related to the type of jobs women are taking more of now? Where I'm at basically every administrative assistant type position (as I understand it at least) is being performed by a woman. Very strongly populated by at least. I don't know what they are currently doing or can do to advance directly through that line of work. But when looking at the women in the many engineering and science positions it seems that a lot of them are advancing their education, getting a masters and such.

I think there is a lag but yeah. I think we will see more women taking higher paying positions. As for the women in current, lower paying roles I am not sure. Going back to school is hard. I'm not sure if that answers your question.

2015-05-16 7:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I think there is a lag but yeah. I think we will see more women taking higher paying positions. As for the women in current, lower paying roles I am not sure. Going back to school is hard. I'm not sure if that answers your question.
I think for the organisation that I work at many of those lower paid positions are filled by women because it suits their circumstances - they are able to work school hours and have school holidays off. Our organisation encourages them to continue their education and even contributes to the cost, but for many of them (whom I know well and consider my friends) they love their roles. They don't want a higher paying more responsible/stressful position. They love what they do and they are great at it.

To me the thing is that women (and men too) need to have the freedom of choice. If they want to pursue further education and career advancement then they should have every opportunity to do so. If they want to stay at home and raise their family then they should be able to do so. If they want to pursue a career and have a family and can juggle all of that then they should be able to do so. If they want to work in a lower paid lower stress job then they should be able to do so. And heaven forbid if they CHOOSE not to have children then they should be able to do that too.

I guess my rather simplistic view is that people should be able to make their own choices and as long as they don't impact negatively on others then they should be able to do so without judgement or condemnation.

Edited by StaceyK 2015-05-16 9:19 PM
2015-05-16 8:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

I think for the organisation that I work at many of those lower paid positions are filled by women because it suits their circumstances - they are able to work school hours and have school holidays off. Our organisation encourages them to continue their education and even contributes to the cost, but for many of them (whom I know well and consider my friends) they love their roles. They don't want a higher paying more responsible role and the stress that goes with that.

I think my question in there is how they advance their education? It's not something I've really looked at so don't know much of anything about what they would do. The engineers and science majors I work with build their masters off of that. Are the people in the other positions somehow adding in to become better at this job (and how is the education set up for that)? Or are they using it to work on a completely different skill set?

2015-05-16 9:13 PM

User image

Seattle

I think for the organisation that I work at many of those lower paid positions are filled by women because it suits their circumstances - they are able to work school hours and have school holidays off. Our organisation encourages them to continue their education and even contributes to the cost, but for many of them (whom I know well and consider my friends) they love their roles. They don't want a higher paying more responsible role and the stress that goes with that.

I think my question in there is how they advance their education? It's not something I've really looked at so don't know much of anything about what they would do. The engineers and science majors I work with build their masters off of that. Are the people in the other positions somehow adding in to become better at this job (and how is the education set up for that)? Or are they using it to work on a completely different skill set?

I'm speaking to the demographic of women graduating high school and then going college. More women are doing so each year and as of late, more women than men. Which is why I say there were be a lag before those stats develop into the higher paying jobs.
2015-05-16 9:16 PM

User image

Seattle

But why more women than men? Wouldn't this also be appealing to them in terms of school hours and holidays off? Wouldn't men also enjoy less responsibility?
2015-05-16 9:26 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

But why more women than men? Wouldn't this also be appealing to them in terms of school hours and holidays off? Wouldn't men also enjoy less responsibility?
I'm sure many would and in the past we have had men fill those roles too. The reality is you choose the best person from those that apply for the position. If men don't apply then you can't employ them.

2015-05-16 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Some of them have chosen to get formal qualifications in the roles that they work in through what we call TAFE here in Australia. These are like trade level qualifications. Others have chosen to work in their current role and pursue university level degrees in teaching or finance type areas.

For me I did this type of thing. When I finished high school I had no idea what I wanted to do. It took me 7 years to work it out and then a very good boss and great friend encouraged me to enrol in university. It took me 6 years to finish my degree because I worked full time while I did it. I then did my CPA qualification and a year or so ago I finished my masters. Now don't tell Phil but I am seriously thinking about doing a post grad in Business Law or something like that. All of this has been my choice, I love to learn new things, I love to challenge myself to do things better. I have also made the choice not to have children and that has made pursuing further education much easier for me as I have far more time than I would if I was trying to juggle 60+ hour work weeks and a family.
2015-05-16 9:50 PM

Master
Northern IL

Was watching the new Avengers movie before and the previews reminded of another criticism. Why does Ant Man get his own movie before someone like Wonder Woman?

2015-05-17 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I hope everyone had a good weekend and that the racing Manatees had a great time. Very quiet, very wet weekend here.

Had some good news/bad news with my back.
- Good news is that my Bowen therapist reckons one or two more treatments and it will be good as new as long as I behave. She even cleared me to do some very easy very short runs this week and see how I go.
- Bad news is she said under no circumstances should I do the 12k that I have entered next weekend. Considering she is coming to visit on Saturday afternoon I very much doubt I would be able to anyway. I never feel great the day after I have seen her.

So now I have a dilemma - what do I do with the race shirt? Do I use it or not? It's a pretty decent tech-t which has now cost me $45, it doesn't have a race year or distance on it, just the race name which I have done twice before. So would y'all wear it for training or not?

Edited by StaceyK 2015-05-17 8:38 AM
2015-05-17 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Was watching the new Avengers movie before and the previews reminded of another criticism. Why does Ant Man get his own movie before someone like Wonder Woman?

I can't believe I'm about to ask this but who is Ant Man?
2015-05-17 9:21 AM
in reply to: #5095426

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Stacey I would absolutely wear it. In a similar vein, last year when Mary and I did the Oktoberfest Tri after the race the RD was giving away the prior years race shirt. I grabbed it and wear it more than the one from my packet because I like the color (colour) better

2015-05-17 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK I hope everyone had a good weekend and that the racing Manatees had a great time. Very quiet, very wet weekend here. Had some good news/bad news with my back. - Good news is that my Bowen therapist reckons one or two more treatments and it will be good as new as long as I behave. She even cleared me to do some very easy very short runs this week and see how I go. - Bad news is she said under no circumstances should I do the 12k that I have entered next weekend. Considering she is coming to visit on Saturday afternoon I very much doubt I would be able to anyway. I never feel great the day after I have seen her. So now I have a dilemma - what do I do with the race shirt? Do I use it or not? It's a pretty decent tech-t which has now cost me $45, it doesn't have a race year or distance on it, just the race name which I have done twice before. So would y'all wear it for training or not?

Glad to hear your back is improving.  I've had to DNS a couple of races for various reasons.  I have no problem wearing the shirt.

2015-05-17 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I have no idea who Ant Man is either!!

2015-05-17 9:28 AM
in reply to: #5116080

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I think the relative unknown of Ant Man is Steve's point. We were watching Winter Soldier last night and DS1 was saying that Disney can't get the rights to some of the characters, even Marvel characters, because Sony owns them
2015-05-17 1:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

And that really is the point! Wonder Woman will debut, but as part of Batman vs Superman. Think I saw a Supergirl TV series is coming out. That seems to be how DC comics is doing it, already having Arrow and The Flash going.

Edited by brigby1 2015-05-17 1:53 PM
2015-05-17 3:04 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner I think the relative unknown of Ant Man is Steve's point. We were watching Winter Soldier last night and DS1 was saying that Disney can't get the rights to some of the characters, even Marvel characters, because Sony owns them

Yeah, Spiderman is the biggest example. He is a Marvel character and is supposed to be an Avenger, but a while back Marvel licensed or sold it out to Sony. At the time it wasn't an issue because no one really knew how to make decent comic book movies yet. They also weren't nearly as popular even for a good one. But also in there was that Sony had to actually make a Spiderman movie every so often in order to keep the character. That's why they keep rebooting it so much (there is another reboot in the works after The Amazing Spiderman 2 did so bad). I did hear of the possibility of Marvel licensing back Spiderman for the next Avengers movies though. 

2015-05-17 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by rrrunner I think the relative unknown of Ant Man is Steve's point. We were watching Winter Soldier last night and DS1 was saying that Disney can't get the rights to some of the characters, even Marvel characters, because Sony owns them

Yeah, Spiderman is the biggest example. He is a Marvel character and is supposed to be an Avenger, but a while back Marvel licensed or sold it out to Sony. At the time it wasn't an issue because no one really knew how to make decent comic book movies yet. They also weren't nearly as popular even for a good one. But also in there was that Sony had to actually make a Spiderman movie every so often in order to keep the character. That's why they keep rebooting it so much (there is another reboot in the works after The Amazing Spiderman 2 did so bad). I did hear of the possibility of Marvel licensing back Spiderman for the next Avengers movies though. 

see now that I know these things I feel like I belong on the set of the Big Bang Theory (which I love by the way).

Just to totally change the subject I did a very short easy 2k run/walk on the treadmill this morning and no back pain it was great. I don't want to jinx it but maybe I can come off the DL, maybe.

Edited by StaceyK 2015-05-17 6:44 PM
2015-05-17 10:53 PM

Master
Northern IL

I've yet to see a complete episode of that show.

Good to hear you can do something with running!

2015-05-18 8:53 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by amd723

And that really is the point! Wonder Woman will debut, but as part of Batman vs Superman. Think I saw a Supergirl TV series is coming out. That seems to be how DC comics is doing it, already having Arrow and The Flash going.

Let's hope Ben Affleck doesn't screw up Batman like he did Dare Devil :rolleyes:
2015-05-18 11:16 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I had to cut my brick short yesterday because of time constraints.  Planned to do 40 mile ride/ 6 mile run but had to cut the bike to 21 miles but I road my CX bike with knobby tires to make it a bit tougher.  Got my full run in and with weekly bricks I'm really starting to run well off the bike.  I am beginning to see that the big four or five hour workouts are going to be very difficult to get in.  I just can't take that amount of time out of the day with everything else in my life.  Same reason I quit golfing years ago.  An hour or two I usually manage to squeeze in sometime during the day but not these long sessions.   I feel I can get the swimming and running workload in for what I want to accomplish but am going to have to temper my expectations on the bike.  I should be doing some 50-60 mile rides in prep for my HIM and that has not happened.  Oh well, I guess we do what we can do.

Edited by popsracer 2015-05-18 11:18 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15409 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28062 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11852 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66321 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54702 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.