General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Mileage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-23 8:49 PM

Subject: Tri Bike Mileage
I am thinking of getting a tri bike tho season, but also set a goal of 2k+ miles this year. I plan on doing lots of long rides, and am just wondering how comfortable those rides will be on a tri bike. Also, how many annual miles do you put on your tri bike?

2015-02-24 8:15 AM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Tri Bike Mileage

If you want to be comfortable, find a good bike fitter and get a proper fit!

I ride 1000-2000 miles per year - depending on what I'm training for and how much time I spend with the Army. I used to ride my tri bike for every single one of those miles!

Currently, I ride my road bike almost exclusively because I'm usually in a group.  But my tri bike is just as comfortable.

2015-02-24 8:20 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

You do realize tri race bike legs are anywhere from 10 to 112 miles right!

The nice thing about a properly fitted TB is that your upper skeleton helps support a lot of the weight.  I had a RB for 6 months then bought a TB 9 years ago and that's all I ride, once you're use to it there's nothing to think about.  My mileage is hard to state as I spend most of the time on the trainer doing focused workouts between 0:45 to <2 hours.

2015-02-24 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Tri bikes can be set up a lot of different ways. I'm focused on long races, so my fit is very relaxed.....I've traded some aerodynamic advantage for a position I can hold and ride in all day. If I were doing short races or short time trials, I'd be a little lower and more narrow in the front (but I wouldn't be very comfortable holding that position for hours at a time).

If you have a good fitter, you should spend a little time talking about your goals and how you want your bike set up.

As far as mileage goes, I'll probably put between 2000 & 3000 miles on the tri bike this year. Lots of people will ride theirs 5000+. Depend on how it's configured, a tri bike can be just as comfortable to ride as a road bike.
2015-02-24 9:58 AM
in reply to: #5095615

Thanks for the replies and information. I like cycling alot, and am on the edge of getting a road bike or tri bike, and just am looking to make sure the long rides would be enjoyable on a tri bike.
2015-02-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

If you want to be comfortable, find a good bike fitter and get a proper fit!

I ride 1000-2000 miles per year - depending on what I'm training for and how much time I spend with the Army. I used to ride my tri bike for every single one of those miles!

Currently, I ride my road bike almost exclusively because I'm usually in a group.  But my tri bike is just as comfortable.

X2, this if you think that you will be group riding then go with the roady but if you think that you will be doing a majority of your rides Solo or with just another triathlete then get the tri bike if you have to chose between getting one or the other, as everyone has already pretty much said a properly fit tri bike will be just as comfy to ride as a any other bike , as with any bike roady , tri ,cyclocross or Mountain if the sizing & fit is crappy then you won't be comfortable period. A good road bike properly set up with aero bar & wheels will be almost as fast as dedicated tri bike anyway for most of Us.

Even Cleat positioning is critical, crap last time I changed shoes and cleats it took me about 3 hours of rides or more of tinkering to get the cleats adjusted so that everything just felt right again.

Edited by RRH_88 2015-02-24 10:32 AM

2015-02-24 12:55 PM

User image

A tri bike can be very comfortable to ride for lots of miles provided you are riding in an area that allows you to stay on the aerobars.  If you're riding through the city a lot where you constantly need to brake, make 90 degree turns, and reacclerate then it probably won't be as comfortable riding tons of miles like that.  That's not what they were designed for.

I mostly ride my road bike or my cyclocross bike.  For general training and group riding...road bike for sure. Commuting on my CX bike.  I'll use the tri bike sparingly in training and of course when it calls for it during racing.  I've tried commuting on my TT bike once when my other bikes were not available for whatever reason.  I absolutely hated it.  Out of 1 hour I spend maybe 3 minutes on my aerobars simply because my commute won't allow me to.  Riding on the horns of a tri bike for extended periods...especially when you have to constantly shift...flat out sucks.  I also don't care for my tri bike during group rides.  Ok if I plan to ride "with" other people but keep my distance...but not a real group ride where you have 5+ people in a tight paceline.

2015-02-24 2:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Don't expect comfort on the first few rides after you get Tri bike. It take some time to get muscles adjusted to the Tri position for most people. I hated my first ride on my Tri bike and thought I made a mistake. My body adjusted after a few rides and felt comfortable the more I rode. Logged in almost 4,000 hours on my Tri bike last year with no issues. I went for a ride on my road bike a few months later and it felt awkward. Love my Tri bike and as others have pointed out, get the correct fit before you buy.

Get a good saddle as well. Highly recommend Cobb saddles.
2015-02-24 2:55 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Originally posted by GODAWGSLogged in almost 4,000 hours on my Tri bike last year with no issues. .

Considering there are only 8760 hours in a year...that's amazing!!!  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Mileage Rss Feed