General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition and a lunch time workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-11 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: Nutrition and a lunch time workout
I have a question on how to manage what I eat on Wednesdays. My normal workout time is 5:00am. I have that nutrition schedule figured out. I am getting through my workouts well without falling apart or being starving at the end.

One day a week, Wednesdays, I do a noon spin class for one hour. I am still not sure after four weeks when do I eat and what do I eat to make it a quality workout. Since that is close to when I would eat lunch, generally 11:30, I am having two issues. If I eat when I normally would and what I normally would I am too full and uncomfortable for the hour long class. If I don't eat at all I don't have enough energy for the class.

I have tried eating earlier with no better results. Maybe it's just new so it will work out but any suggestions would be appreciated.

2015-03-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Subject: RE: Nutrition and a lunch time workout
I run most days during lunch. When I started, I felt like I was starving. My body has gotten used to waiting to eat until after the run, but I will frequently have a slightly larger than normal breakfast (an extra 100 or so calories) on days that I run, just to make sure that I don't get too hungry. I tried having a light snack such as a piece of fruit around 10 AM, but on warm days I got stomach cramps from that. Your body might be able to handle something light in your stomach, though.
2015-03-11 12:54 PM

User image

Pro

I tend to just split my lunch in half on lunch workout days. A little before the working, the majority after the workout.

2015-03-11 1:20 PM

User image

, North Carolina
What do you do for the 5 am workout?

Personally, I have to wait three hours after any major meal to workout. Any thing sooner than that I struggle. (This might be a sign of over eating.) But, for my lunch workouts I just make sure I am hydrated and sometimes I'll have a piece of fruit before the work out.

I wish I didn't work with a bunch of women, would make lunch workouts much easier. They always have something to say about everything.
2015-03-11 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I work out every day at lunch I usually have a banana and another light snack cheese and crackers or something similar at around 10:15 in the morning then don't have anything else till after the workout, then I eat lunch after the workout, I do have a bowl of cereal every morning as well before heading out to work.

Edited by RRH_88 2015-03-11 1:22 PM
2015-03-11 1:47 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I'm experimenting with this right now as well. I've been doing lunch workouts and waiting to eat until afterwards, except I'm so hungry during the workouts. Today, I had some Greek yogurt and blueberries about an hour before my workout and it worked really well. Then I ate the rest of my lunch afterwards. 

Try splitting up your lunch, maybe 1/3 before the workout and 2/3 after? Or some other ratio that makes sense for you.

2015-03-11 2:03 PM

Veteran
I'm a lunch time workout person also. I have a 500 calorie breakfast at around 6 am and then an apple at around 10. I try to run at about 11 and then eat lunch as soon as I get back and cool down.
2015-03-11 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Well today worked a little better. I had some flax seed crackers a little over an hour before my workout and an orange about 30 minutes before. I felt better throughout than I have. Then I had the bulk of my lunch afterwards. Still not perfect but getting closer.

Someone above asked about my morning routine. I have my breakfast around 4:00am, Today was oatmeal with some protein powder mixed in. Not a ton of calories because I don't do well at all after a big breakfast. My morning workouts vary except for time, always 5:00am. This morning was a 70 minute run. Then a snack after the workout. A protein bar is fairly common.

I will try a few of the suggestions and continue to refine the process until I get something that works well. My other issue is I never know what my work morning brings but I guess almost everyone deals with that.

Bottom line is I love this sport and as long as I can keep getting better, even at seemingly simple things like planning lunch, I'm good.

Thanks to everyone for the input and happy to hear any other ideas/recommendations.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition and a lunch time workout Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Post workout nutrition for late night workouts

Started by mattramirez
Views: 8181 Posts: 21

2012-06-29 4:39 PM JZig

What's for lunch? (post race nutrition)

Started by GrantGannon
Views: 642 Posts: 4

2007-07-08 1:20 PM tjtryon

Lunch hour workouts? Pages: 1 2

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 1725 Posts: 31

2007-05-09 2:54 PM TriMike

Actual time in the gym vs workout time

Started by drdi
Views: 1247 Posts: 18

2006-12-19 4:14 AM drdi

Write me a Swim Workout for Lunch

Started by lexington476
Views: 517 Posts: 2

2006-01-18 11:50 AM TriForrestTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : June 5, 2008
By adequately fueling with protein and carbohydrates within 30-minutes post workout, consecutive workouts will be more successful.

date : May 20, 2008
comments : 3
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.
date : February 18, 2008
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : September 24, 2007
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.