General Discussion Triathlon Talk » creative time managment. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-13 9:32 PM

Subject: creative time managment.
I am 1 month into training for my first IM 70.3 and I am finding my self having to get creative with my training plan to get into the pool in the mornings, run and ride my bike. I love the training and my body is loving the diversity, my wife works during the day and I work a swing shift (2 pm-10 pm) and I didn't get my 2 hour bike ride in before I went to work. In order to get my ride in, I set up our facilities spin bike in our control room (I work at a youth correctional facility) and got my ride in during the last two hours of my shift. I got paid to train! I would have rather been out on the road than on a squeaky spin bike but in this case it was way worth it to spend a little more time with my two kids. does anyone else have anything they have had to do like that? any "training cheats?"

2015-04-13 9:44 PM
in reply to: dinomay

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: creative time managment.

Wow, nice that they allow you to do that!

I had the conversation with my bosses once about riding on my trainer while working overtime, but the idea of trying to control a mouse and keyboard while on a trainer was just too unrealistic, so I just ditched work to ride my bike instead

2015-04-14 3:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not cheating, but one reason I volunteered to be assistant swim coach for several years was so I could get the kids out of the pool on time (they like to hang out in the cool water and talk, not surprisingly given the heat!), so I could start MY workout on time. Plus, it gave me an excuse to change into my swimsuit with coaching clothes over it (never know when one might have to demo a start or flip turn, right?) at the end of the school day. This was back when our pool closed at 5 PM and I had only 50 minutes after the kiddos (theoretically) got out at 4:10, so saving those 5-10 minutes really mattered. It was the most awesome, seamless transition you can imagine. Off with T-shirt and shorts, on with cap and goggles, and Superteacher flies into the pool! I had it down to one minute or less. Now the pool closes at six, so usually not that much of an issue.

I don't train during work hours, but I do take advantage of our school pool, gym, and sometimes the fields for running outside of my teaching and coaching times. Still have to laugh about what a former colleague and I used to do at staff meetings when, for some reason, we needed to swim on that day. We'd show up with swimsuits under our work clothes and then sprint to the pool as soon as the meeting adjourned. Once we made it in 45 seconds from meeting to water.
2015-04-14 5:00 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Katy, Texas
My training cheat is my 4am alarm clock.
2015-04-14 7:57 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I work a lot of overnight call shifts where I need to be at the hospital but I'm not necessarily working. Some nights are super busy but some nights are really slow. I bring my bike and trainer (packed in a large rolling suitcase) and a box fan. If it is quiet at work I bring everything in to the call room and set up for a couple hours on the bike. Like you said, paid to train. My wife calls it my chance to be a professional triathlete.

I have 3-4 bags of workout clothes in the car at any time. Two run bags (cold weather and warm weather), bike clothes (for spin class if the chance comes up) and a swim bag. This way if there ever is 30-40 minutes to get in a workout I don't have any excuse not to get it done. I can get a run in right after work many days and it is pretty much invisible to the family--but make sure you are not shirking your parent/husband duties to do this--I'm just sayin'.

Lastly, like someone said above, 4-4:30 AM wake up times (or whatever is your equivalent working a swing shift) pretty much guarantees you will get the training in. But it can lead to a very tired triathlete.
2015-04-14 10:47 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Yes, I'm trying to still get early swims in at 5 am before the family gets up and it's REALLY wearing on me, sometimes I don't get to bed until 11. Right now it's kind of crazy thinking about a full IM with 20+ hours training. BTW, what is average for peak hours for a full IM?

2015-04-14 11:01 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Bike commuting to/from work is a good chance to sneak in some miles, depending on how far away you live from your work.

2015-04-14 2:07 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I struggle greatly with this as there are so many other demands on my time.  You are fortunate to be able to carve out work time to get even a spin in.  I wish I could do that.

My time cheats are primarily using my lunch hour to get my swim sessions in.  I have to compress things a bit but with a pool less than a mile from my office I can make it work.  I do most of my riding on the trainer so I'm able to watch movies or shows with my son in the evening.  He also has a weekly 30 minute drum lesson which I use the time to do a three mile tempo run while I am waiting.

2015-04-14 3:47 PM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
The free plan that i follow from BT max's at 18hrs - a long 6hr bike and 3hr run take up 2 days,and the rest spread over 4days.
2015-04-15 9:30 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Jet Black

I wish I still needed an alarm. My body wakes me up now somewhere between 3:30-4:00 every day. Actually to be fair, today I did 'sleep in' until 4:25!

I make sure everything is ready to go before I go to bed. Work clothes on a hanger or in my bag, workout clothes draped over the tub (which my wife hates), briefcase packed, lunch prepared etc. Then I can get up, eat, change and be in the car in 20 minutes tops. Then a 30 minute drive to where I work out. To the non-exerciser it seems crazy but, what the hell, I've been called worse.
2015-04-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Stuartap

Originally posted by Jet Black

I wish I still needed an alarm. My body wakes me up now somewhere between 3:30-4:00 every day. Actually to be fair, today I did 'sleep in' until 4:25!

I make sure everything is ready to go before I go to bed. Work clothes on a hanger or in my bag, workout clothes draped over the tub (which my wife hates), briefcase packed, lunch prepared etc. Then I can get up, eat, change and be in the car in 20 minutes tops. Then a 30 minute drive to where I work out. To the non-exerciser it seems crazy but, what the hell, I've been called worse.

Yep, I have the same evening routine that also includes the coffee prep. I definitely still need the alarm though, haha.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » creative time managment. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Most creative thing you've gone to get your training in Pages: 1 2

Started by bschulte
Views: 1967 Posts: 37

2009-05-31 6:35 AM FishrCutB8

Creative Triathlon Team Name.... Pages: 1 2

Started by kaqphin
Views: 38675 Posts: 30

2008-12-18 6:50 PM McFuzz

creative ideas for medals?

Started by dredwards
Views: 3206 Posts: 22

2007-12-04 9:09 AM Rynamite

Farewell My Friend (an attempt at creative writing)

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1083 Posts: 14

2006-02-28 7:24 AM max

Pool Time vs Open Water Time- Your time comparisons

Started by jerry
Views: 1260 Posts: 5

2005-04-01 4:22 PM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.

date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?
date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.

date : January 30, 2006
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.
date : January 30, 2006
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.