General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlons on a mountain bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-12 1:32 PM

User image

Subject: Triathlons on a mountain bike
Hello all. I'm returning to the sport after a four year break, and need some advice. I don't currently have the budget or financial means to purchase either a new or used road/tri bike, so I need to get some advice on how to do tris on my Specialized Hardrock mountain bike. I know I should probably invest in "slicks" for it, at the very least, and I have purchased some handle bar add-ons that allow me to change my grip to be more vertical. Other than that, is there any other modifications I could make to make short-distance tris easier on my bike? I would not attempt a HIM on it, probably not even an Olympic, but I do ride it a lot off-road, so I'm very comfortable on it, so a sprint distance isn't a stretch in terms of distance.

Thank you in advance.

~Robert~

2015-05-12 1:34 PM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Triathlons on a mountain bike

Just pedal harder.

2015-05-12 1:36 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Slicks will probably make the biggest difference. I did that when I started out before upgrading to a road bike.

2015-05-12 2:07 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I don't know about your MTB, but some have adjustable fork suspension and some have suspension locks.  It might be worth a look.  I suspect the less bouncy the better for flat surfaces.

2015-05-12 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Yeah, just get some slicks. Be sure that your MTB rims can mount the thinner slick tires, this is far from a given.
2015-05-12 2:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Hello all. I'm returning to the sport after a four year break, and need some advice. I don't currently have the budget or financial means to purchase either a new or used road/tri bike, so I need to get some advice on how to do tris on my Specialized Hardrock mountain bike. I know I should probably invest in "slicks" for it, at the very least, and I have purchased some handle bar add-ons that allow me to change my grip to be more vertical. Other than that, is there any other modifications I could make to make short-distance tris easier on my bike? I would not attempt a HIM on it, probably not even an Olympic, but I do ride it a lot off-road, so I'm very comfortable on it, so a sprint distance isn't a stretch in terms of distance. Thank you in advance. ~Robert~

For a little more elaborated answer, it depends on what you have now and what you really want to do. I have a couple sets of tires for my mountain bike. One for more hardpack or MUP use and another with deeper, knobbier treads for more messy conditions. I'd just go with the former and pedal hard. Actual slicks would be faster still, but it's still a mountain bike and I'd rather see how much I liked this before spending it. Maybe save it for a more fitting bike or just save it in general. At least until I was more sure of wanting to continue with this. If you find a good deal though, knock yourself out.

The locking shocks was a good suggestion too. My bike is 10 years old and the front does lock (Specialized Stumpjumper). I'd think this would be an even more common feature if the bike is any newer. Also maybe drop off any other extra stuff you don't really need for the race.

2015-05-12 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I know you said you didn't have the budget for a used bike, but in your situation I'd be looking for a vintage roadie for cheap. They can be found in good working condition for $50-100 and will be way faster and more comfortable than a MTB, even with slicks. I have an old Miyata that I got for $70 and have been on long rides on it and would not hesitate to do an OLY or even a half on it. Plus you get a bike that wouldn't be a drag to train on the road with. 

To me that's clearly money better spent than on slicks. And the old roadie will always be worth close to what you spent for it-- oftentimes more. And they are very cool. 

Edited by zed707 2015-05-12 2:55 PM
2015-05-12 4:31 PM

User image

Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I have used my MTB on a couple super-sprints in the past and it's not horrible, but I wouldn't want to go 20+ miles on it - too much effort for too little speed.

I will keep an eye out for a good used road bike, as $100 is within my budget, and probably about what I'd spend on slicks for the MTB.
2015-05-12 5:06 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Why not just find some X-Terra mountain bike/trail triathlons? Then your mountain bike would be well used and everybody would have one.
2015-05-12 5:22 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I have used my MTB on a couple super-sprints in the past and it's not horrible, but I wouldn't want to go 20+ miles on it - too much effort for too little speed. I will keep an eye out for a good used road bike, as $100 is within my budget, and probably about what I'd spend on slicks for the MTB.

Exactly, and you don't have to mess with changing tires every time you go from dirt to road. 

I have a friend that started in triathlons on a vintage roadie and he was competitive in his age group. They were designed to go long and fast--they were the race bikes of their time. 

Just for fun and out of curiosity, I browsed Craigslist and found several examples on the first page that I'd do a triathlon on, all $100 or less. Good luck and have fun!

2015-05-13 7:48 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by KeriKadi

Why not just find some X-Terra mountain bike/trail triathlons? Then your mountain bike would be well used and everybody would have one.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, Xterras are also huge heaps of fun.

2015-05-13 8:39 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

I have given them a lot of thought, too, thinking that might work in my favor as I really enjoy mountain biking way more than road cycling, and I'm already set up for that sport.
2015-05-13 12:39 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Originally posted by DaveL

Originally posted by KeriKadi

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, Xterras are also huge heaps of fun.

I am trying to talk some friends into doing one with me this summer. My mtb skills leave a lot to be desired, though.

If you can't lock out your shocks, pump them to be as stiff as possible for the tri, although you probably already knew that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlons on a mountain bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mountain Biking as Training for a Road Triathlon

Started by n.k
Views: 1227 Posts: 17

2011-05-31 2:30 PM ericwjacobson

Mountain Bike vs Race Bike

Started by lynn m.
Views: 1173 Posts: 10

2006-08-07 10:55 AM lynn m.

The Old Road Bike vs. The Mountain Bike

Started by nicolascole
Views: 1618 Posts: 22

2006-04-19 8:38 AM weds19

Can you race a triathlon with a mountain bike? Pages: 1 2

Started by amricci11
Views: 1673 Posts: 29

2005-03-13 9:57 AM lifesgreat

Mountain Bikes vs Racing Bikes

Started by Aikane
Views: 1225 Posts: 12

2004-03-19 9:33 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.