BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-08-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk[/

Ok, maybe I should check my work email.

Don't do that it will spoil your day.

I keep telling work that there should be this rule that when you come back from holidays then you should get 2 or 3 half days to start with to ease back into it. For some reason they don't think that is reasonable.

I had a really busy weekend and didn't even get a ride in. I came home from my work trip last week with this nasty horrible plane cough which has gotten worse over the weekend. Hopefully I can get rid of it before my. Run on Sunday, but I have four more plane rides to endure for work between now and then. Tonight I am resorting to the "rub Vicks on your feet" wives tail in a vain attempt to get some sleep.

Oh I am leaning towards Jethro as the name for my bike

(Sorry I have no idea why this is coming out bold and I can't fix it on my iPad.)

Edited by StaceyK 2015-08-24 9:34 AM

2015-08-24 9:38 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations Mary!

Welcome back Randee!  2016, eh?

2015-08-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Ok, maybe I should check my work email.
Don't do that it will spoil your day. I keep telling work that there should be this rule that when you come back from holidays then you should get 2 or 3 half days to start with to ease back into it. For some reason they don't think that is reasonable. I had a really busy weekend and didn't even get a ride in. I came home from my work trip last week with this nasty horrible plane cough which has gotten worse over the weekend. Hopefully I can get rid of it before my. Run on Sunday, but I have four more plane rides to endure for work between now and then. Tonight I am resorting to the "rub Vicks on your feet" wives tail in a vain attempt to get some sleep. Oh I am leaning towards Jethro as the name for my bike (Sorry I have no idea why this is coming out bold and I can't fix it on my iPad.)

What is Jethro from? Beverly Hillbillies was the first thing that came to mind though not sure that's what you're going for.

2015-08-24 10:27 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Congratulations Mary!

Welcome back Randee!  2016, eh?

YEP! I want to do better - I know I can......

and on that note - I need a new coach. Any recommendations?

My old coach used RPE and that did NOT work for me. I need HR zones. We tested it (much too late in the plan) and I was pulling paces much faster than if I was left to my perception.

I'm also looking for flexibility and good communication (responsive to questions etc) and doesn't mind a few changes here and there for weather or family commitments. Local is NOT a requirement.

I've been to both the ST list of coaches and the USAT list and to me it's just a bunch of names and websites. I need real world recommendations I guess.

so lay em on me if you've got em! THANKS!
2015-08-24 11:22 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by IronOx Thanks everyone. Had a great day, super happy with how I paced the bike and was able to run all but the aid stations and a couple hundred metres of pity parties . Windy, but beautiful day.

BIG congrats!  You are such an IronOx 

2015-08-24 12:15 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock Way to go, Kirsten!! I'm so proud of you! Hope you're not too tired to enjoy Denmark a little before you come home. I'm super happy with my race yesterday. It was a fundraiser 5k for my friend's son's school with ~215 people. I PRed and got 1st in the 18+ AG (4th woman OA)!!!!! I think I could get used to this placing business. I just have to keep going to small races and ones with a lot of walkers, start training a little more seriously, orrrrr maybe a little of both. :-)

Wooo hooo!  Congrats, Mary!

2015-08-24 12:26 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I won the Athena division at my race yesterday.  The swim (for me) was a complete disaster, compounded with a long run to transition, but I'm really happy with my bike and run efforts.  I'd compare the swim to a mass of writhing eels trapped in a small body of water.  Eels that punch and kick.

Edited by melbo55 2015-08-24 12:26 PM
2015-08-24 12:34 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

I won the Athena division at my race yesterday.  The swim (for me) was a complete disaster, compounded with a long run to transition, but I'm really happy with my bike and run efforts.  I'd compare the swim to a mass of writhing eels trapped in a small body of water.  Eels that punch and kick.

Congratulations on the podium!  Well earned!

2015-08-24 12:42 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Fantastic Kirsten! A couple hundred meters of pity are nothing in the scheme of 226274 total meters. So, we won't hold it against you!

And great result, Melanie! It's awesome to be able to podium AND have things you can go forward developing. However the idea of eels that punch and kick is enough for me to stay out of the pool

Also, Ben completed a 130 mile ride on a bike with a broken front derailleur, which I believe he knew about before he started so it's an excellent accomplishment blending HTFU and uhhhh crazy?

2015-08-24 12:55 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by IronOx

Thanks everyone. Had a great day, super happy with how I paced the bike and was able to run all but the aid stations and a couple hundred metres of pity parties . Windy, but beautiful day.

You're a beast!! Huge congrats!
2015-08-24 12:56 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by laffinrock

Way to go, Kirsten!! I'm so proud of you! Hope you're not too tired to enjoy Denmark a little before you come home.

I'm super happy with my race yesterday. It was a fundraiser 5k for my friend's son's school with ~215 people. I PRed and got 1st in the 18+ AG (4th woman OA)!!!!! I think I could get used to this placing business. I just have to keep going to small races and ones with a lot of walkers, start training a little more seriously, orrrrr maybe a little of both. :-)

Awesome, way to go!!!

2015-08-24 12:58 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Whoo hooo!!! Manatees are on fire!!! Way to go!!
2015-08-24 12:58 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I'm in the midst of a true logistical nightmare. We are set to leave Thursday on our 100 mile PCT mission. Wildfires are everywhere and I keep having to change our last leg (luckily the first two legs are still in tact.) My best, last ditch option just got closed down. 

Not sure what I am going to do yet. This is totally nuts. 

On a different note and one that really trumps my "problems" is that I received some terrible news about a college hockey teammate this morning. She's battling for her life right now and I really don't know any other details. 

Today is hard.

2015-08-24 1:02 PM

User image

Denver, CO

WOOOOOT!!!!  Way to go, Mel!  The eels sound not so fun; that's a very evocative description and not one I'd care to experience. 

2015-08-24 1:05 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm in the midst of a true logistical nightmare. We are set to leave Thursday on our 100 mile PCT mission. Wildfires are everywhere and I keep having to change our last leg (luckily the first two legs are still in tact.) My best, last ditch option just got closed down. 

On a different note and one that really trumps my "problems" is that I received some terrible news about a college hockey teammate this morning. She's battling for her life right now and I really don't know any other details. 

Today is hard.

Hugs for you and prayers for your teammate.

Hoping you find a solution to the PCT adventure, and soon.  I also hope you are able to proceed safely, those wildfires are no joke.  Scary stuff.

2015-08-24 1:06 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Also, Ben completed a 130 mile ride on a bike with a broken front derailleur, which I believe he knew about before he started so it's an excellent accomplishment blending HTFU and uhhhh crazy?

I'm going with "uhhhh crazy?"  Hopefully the ride was relatively flat and the bike was stuck on a larger chain ring instead of hilly and large CR or flat and small CR.  Either of those would be completely ridiculous.  Regardless, holy buckets, Ben.

2015-08-24 1:11 PM

Master
Northern IL

It was the internal spring that was broken. I had to push the the derailleur in to shift down. Fun to do while in motion. Front rings trying to be "hand-fed"? Could still use the shift lever to pull it up as the cable was still attached. This is something that brother would have totally done too.

And I was serious about the Stan Sitwell look-a-like. The guy could pull well too.

2015-08-24 1:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

Today is hard.

Really hoping things come together for you.

2015-08-24 1:17 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Today is hard.

I've been thinking about you a lot this week and wondering how the PCT planning was going.  We're getting a lot of smoke from that direction, to the point that we have air quality advisories and my throat is burning from allergies.  We've had large fires near here in the past and I can only imagine how smoky it is there.  I'm not discouraging you from doing it because I know how much you've been looking forward to it.  Please please don't compromise your health and safety and remember that it'll still be there next year if this year doesn't work out.

I'm so sorry to hear about your teammate.  I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts this week.  (((Hugs)))

2015-08-24 1:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

I'm going with "uhhhh crazy?"  Hopefully the ride was relatively flat and the bike was stuck on a larger chain ring instead of hilly and large CR or flat and small CR.  Either of those would be completely ridiculous.  Regardless, holy buckets, Ben.

It's a triple chainring, though strong enough to do most everything in the big ring and some in the middle. Earlier hilly rides (like the one I described when you were having so much trouble) helped to make this seem easier though the event planners were still right to point out these hills for others. There were people walking a couple of them. Used the small ring (the hard one to get in to) for one spot. And of course this is the one that the water bottle broke off at. The cage actually broke off. Bolts were still in place and the bottle was still in the cage. Had to turn around and go get it. Very short hill, but still had to restart on a 20%+ grade (go across, then up).

2015-08-24 1:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by brigby1

It's a triple chainring, though strong enough to do most everything in the big ring and some in the middle. Earlier hilly rides (like the one I described when you were having so much trouble) helped to make this seem easier though the event planners were still right to point out these hills for others. There were people walking a couple of them. Used the small ring (the hard one to get in to) for one spot. And of course this is the one that the water bottle broke off at. The cage actually broke off. Bolts were still in place and the bottle was still in the cage. Had to turn around and go get it. Very short hill, but still had to restart on a 20%+ grade (go across, then up).

Of course the water bottle cage broke off.  And of course you managed to get back on track.  You crack me up!  Way to go, Ben.  That's definitely a ride for the books.  You never cease to amaze me.

2015-08-24 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Boy, you take a 4 day trip to NY and things get exciting in Manateeland!!

Congrats to all the weekend racers!  Lots of great results and HTFUs!!

Salty, sorry your PCT plans don't completely fall apart.  Very sorry about your old teammate.  Monday's are bad!!

2015-08-24 3:12 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

It was the internal spring that was broken. I had to push the the derailleur in to shift down. Fun to do while in motion. Front rings trying to be "hand-fed"? Could still use the shift lever to pull it up as the cable was still attached. This is something that brother would have totally done too.

And I was serious about the Stan Sitwell look-a-like. The guy could pull well too.

First of all, that's some craziness, Ben!  Hand shifting your bike.  Second of all, how did I miss the Stan Sitwell comment/write-up about this ride?

2015-08-24 3:21 PM

Master
Northern IL

First of all, that's some craziness, Ben!  Hand shifting your bike.  Second of all, how did I miss the Stan Sitwell comment/write-up about this ride?

This thought especially. (for everyone else, Sitwell has Alopecia, or total hair loss). Though  you remember the "hand-fed"?

Edited by brigby1 2015-08-24 3:24 PM

(enhanced-buzz-17039-1369165663-0.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
enhanced-buzz-17039-1369165663-0.jpg (93KB - 2 downloads)
2015-08-24 6:03 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Finally back from vacation and catching up on all the happenings.  Special congrats to the PPA ascenders and the Iron manatees.  Some truly great efforts.

Seawheeze race in Vancouver was fun.  Had a descent run but not great.  Fun weekend.  Spent last week in Seaside, Oregon.  Rented a house with my family on the beach.  Had a few nice barefoot runs on the beach but last one was 8 miles and badly blistered my feet.  Next day though sucked it up and did a 12.5 mile trail run on the PCT from north of Seaside to Cannon Beach.  It was awesome running on the bluffs high above the rocky surf.  Trail was in terrible condition though and very technical. 

Good thing I'm back at work as I'm beat.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66499 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27931 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11813 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37121 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66233 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.