BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-09-29 3:33 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Atlantia

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I want to state for the record that I hate fly.  Maybe it's because I'm not good at it.  Or because it doesn't have much use to me.  Anyhow, it's fly stroke technique week at masters. 

I just started Stroke Mechanics class (10 weeks on Sundays) and we're going to be learning fly. So excited!! And terrified!! It is my understanding that learning the other strokes help build muscle balance, which translates into fewer injuries and better feel for the water. Hang tight!

The other strokes did help keep things interesting. Stroke night was always fun! They also do help with feel of the water. I've had some specific aspects of free develop a bit more with the other strokes, and also had some "Aha!" moments with them as well.

I found other strokes REALLY helped me especially with "feel", and like Ben said, kept things interesting. I thought fly was one of the most fun, actually. When you get the timing and technique right it feels like magic. Hard as hell though.

2015-09-29 4:26 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by melbo55

Popping in for a quick update.  My dad passed away last Tuesday, a week ago.  He had been in a gradual decline which turned into a rapid decline.  He was in the TCU of the nursing home he'd been in for rehab back in May, which is a better environment than the hospital with a more caring, attentive staff.  Hospice did what they could to make him as comfortable as possible. Obviously my life has been turned upside down for the past week, or longer, really, but I'm trying to find a new normal.  

I want to express my sincerest gratitude for all podmates who kept Dad, my family and myself in your thoughts and prayers.  Many miles may separate us geographically, but our friendship feels much closer.  Thank you, everyone for your kindness.

My hatred of cancer has grown exponentially, it is such an evil, sinister disease.

You and your family will remain close in heart and prayer.

It's a rough road. A loved one always seems to leave too soon, no matter how or when.

2015-09-29 7:20 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Popping in for a quick update.  My dad passed away last Tuesday, a week ago.  He had been in a gradual decline which turned into a rapid decline.  He was in the TCU of the nursing home he'd been in for rehab back in May, which is a better environment than the hospital with a more caring, attentive staff.  Hospice did what they could to make him as comfortable as possible. Obviously my life has been turned upside down for the past week, or longer, really, but I'm trying to find a new normal.  

I want to express my sincerest gratitude for all podmates who kept Dad, my family and myself in your thoughts and prayers.  Many miles may separate us geographically, but our friendship feels much closer.  Thank you, everyone for your kindness.

My hatred of cancer has grown exponentially, it is such an evil, sinister disease.

Oh Mel I am so very very sorry. There aren't the words.
2015-09-29 7:38 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by popsracer

Stacey - Glad to hear you got out on the new bike.  Nothing sweeter than a new ride.  We had an unusual year for forest fires and the smoke around those areas was aweful.  Fortunately, it only drifted our way a few times.  I didn't realize you were so close to the dangers. 

I live in Australia Steve so just heading into fire season for us here. So I was speaking from past experience. Our conservation and land management department does a lot of preventative burning from fall through to spring in order to try and control the fire threat over our summer. Some people are really opposed to it believing that it is destructive and not good for the environment. But a very very large number of our Australian native plants are actually germinated/activated through fire so it regerminates the bush land. Also the controlled burns are at a lot lower temps than a ranging bush fire so they are far less destructive as well as controlling the threat to life.
2015-09-29 10:06 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

So I'm in a funk right now - for the second time in a few months I've lost a friend. A good friend, Deputy Bill Myers, was shot and killed last week in Shalimar, Florida. He retired from the force a few years ago but found he missed his friends and most importantly, missed helping those in need so he returned to the sheriffs office on a part time basis. He was sent to serve a domestic violence injunction and collect weapons at an attorney's office. The man followed Bill out of the office and open fired on him with a concealed weapon. Bill was shot several times in the back and in the back of the head.

Bill was a man who would do anything for anybody. He loved Disney and would meet any of his friends at Disney World whenever we were there. He would also drive us to "Give Kids the World" where kids on Make A Wish trips stay while on their Wish Trips to Florida so we could volunteer. He had a knack for knowing when you needed a pick-me-up text or phone call and boom! that text or call was there. Every night he would post on Facebook pictures he took of the sunrise, sunset, and the Florida wildlife. I will never again be able to look at a sunrise over a lake at the start of a race without thinking of Bill.

Melanie and Steve, my thoughts are with you. As for the rest of the pod, I may not post very often but you guys are always in my thoughts as well. We are each living our lives to the fullest, doing something we love. Bill always encouraged his friends and family to live life and love life and that's exactly what we're all doing.

2015-09-29 10:23 PM
in reply to: #5116906

User image

Denver, CO
Mel and Robin, and all the rest of you dear Manatees too, especially those of you who are going through rough times of whatever sort, sending you lots of love and light and wishes of peace.

2015-09-29 10:45 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master

Robin, so sorry on the loss of your friend.  What a tragedy.

2015-09-30 1:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo So I'm in a funk right now - for the second time in a few months I've lost a friend. A good friend, Deputy Bill Myers, was shot and killed last week in Shalimar, Florida. He retired from the force a few years ago but found he missed his friends and most importantly, missed helping those in need so he returned to the sheriffs office on a part time basis. He was sent to serve a domestic violence injunction and collect weapons at an attorney's office. The man followed Bill out of the office and open fired on him with a concealed weapon. Bill was shot several times in the back and in the back of the head. Bill was a man who would do anything for anybody. He loved Disney and would meet any of his friends at Disney World whenever we were there. He would also drive us to "Give Kids the World" where kids on Make A Wish trips stay while on their Wish Trips to Florida so we could volunteer. He had a knack for knowing when you needed a pick-me-up text or phone call and boom! that text or call was there. Every night he would post on Facebook pictures he took of the sunrise, sunset, and the Florida wildlife. I will never again be able to look at a sunrise over a lake at the start of a race without thinking of Bill. Melanie and Steve, my thoughts are with you. As for the rest of the pod, I may not post very often but you guys are always in my thoughts as well. We are each living our lives to the fullest, doing something we love. Bill always encouraged his friends and family to live life and love life and that's exactly what we're all doing.

I'm very sorry for your loss.  Most of us don't fully appreciate the dangers that LEOs face everyday.  Your friend sounds like he was a great guy.

2015-09-30 7:47 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Katy, Texas
Melanie I'm so sorry about your Dad. Sending T&P your way.

Robin I'm so sorry about losing another friend. What a terrible tragedy. T&P your way too.
2015-09-30 7:50 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas
Regarding fly, we had a set this morning of fly -> 100, 75, 50, 25 fast, all 15 seconds rest. I will now go on record as saying F fly.

Steve, regarding IMTX, DOOOOOOIIIIEEEEET. I'd offer you a home stay for it, but I'm at least an hour away from the race site so I'll be staying in a hotel.
2015-09-30 8:17 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK

Oh Mel I am so very very sorry. There aren't the words.

I'm sorry.  Death and disease feel like such an unnatural thing.

2015-09-30 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Jet Black Regarding fly, we had a set this morning of fly -> 100, 75, 50, 25 fast, all 15 seconds rest. I will now go on record as saying F fly. Steve, regarding IMTX, DOOOOOOIIIIEEEEET. I'd offer you a home stay for it, but I'm at least an hour away from the race site so I'll be staying in a hotel.

Wow, only 15 seconds rest?  My masters group is tough, but it's not sadistic!

2015-09-30 8:23 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black Regarding fly, we had a set this morning of fly -> 100, 75, 50, 25 fast, all 15 seconds rest. I will now go on record as saying F fly. Steve, regarding IMTX, DOOOOOOIIIIEEEEET. I'd offer you a home stay for it, but I'm at least an hour away from the race site so I'll be staying in a hotel.

Yeah, that's a tough little set! At my masters it wasn't often we'd do over 50 straight of any one stroke. Those would tend to be various combinations or IMs. On my own I might have done a bit more of that.

2015-09-30 8:26 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by fortissimo

So I'm in a funk right now - for the second time in a few months I've lost a friend. A good friend, Deputy Bill Myers, was shot and killed last week in Shalimar, Florida. He retired from the force a few years ago but found he missed his friends and most importantly, missed helping those in need so he returned to the sheriffs office on a part time basis. He was sent to serve a domestic violence injunction and collect weapons at an attorney's office. The man followed Bill out of the office and open fired on him with a concealed weapon. Bill was shot several times in the back and in the back of the head.

Bill was a man who would do anything for anybody. He loved Disney and would meet any of his friends at Disney World whenever we were there. He would also drive us to "Give Kids the World" where kids on Make A Wish trips stay while on their Wish Trips to Florida so we could volunteer. He had a knack for knowing when you needed a pick-me-up text or phone call and boom! that text or call was there. Every night he would post on Facebook pictures he took of the sunrise, sunset, and the Florida wildlife. I will never again be able to look at a sunrise over a lake at the start of a race without thinking of Bill.

Melanie and Steve, my thoughts are with you. As for the rest of the pod, I may not post very often but you guys are always in my thoughts as well. We are each living our lives to the fullest, doing something we love. Bill always encouraged his friends and family to live life and love life and that's exactly what we're all doing.

so sorry for your loss.
2015-09-30 8:32 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Atlantia

I want to state for the record that I hate fly.  Maybe it's because I'm not good at it.  Or because it doesn't have much use to me.  Anyhow, it's fly stroke technique week at masters. 

I just started Stroke Mechanics class (10 weeks on Sundays) and we're going to be learning fly. So excited!! And terrified!! It is my understanding that learning the other strokes help build muscle balance, which translates into fewer injuries and better feel for the water. Hang tight!

The other strokes did help keep things interesting. Stroke night was always fun! They also do help with feel of the water. I've had some specific aspects of free develop a bit more with the other strokes, and also had some "Aha!" moments with them as well.

I found other strokes REALLY helped me especially with "feel", and like Ben said, kept things interesting. I thought fly was one of the most fun, actually. When you get the timing and technique right it feels like magic. Hard as hell though.

For me, backstroke helped to open up my shoulders some more. Breaststroke helped with finding the catch, especially after I began to understand the stroke and developed something remotely like a kick for it (knee issue). Everyone points to the the toughness needed for fly, which isn't necessarily wrong, but it also really emphasizes patience and efficiency for me. If you're not doing it right, the energy costs skyrocket immediately and you just can't do the stroke long at all. Then part of being efficient was the patience. Really extend into that entry (relax on being desperate to breathe, get the stroke right). Get the arms coming around into the catch *before* pulling, otherwise it goes down more. Pull yourself forward and you'll go up enough (don't try to lift up directly so much). It didn't take as hard of a pull as first thought to get up enough. Pull all the way through to the end, stopping short makes it harder to get up get up enough (patience and trust here).

Things started clicking more with some better timing. Mostly it was 2 points, each being a kick (and thinking BOOM with each one ). The timing came in as one kick was with the hand entry to drive it through the extension. The other at the exit or start of recovery. There might be *slight* deviations from that, but that was largely it.

2015-09-30 9:19 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Actually looking back at the data I took closer to 20 seconds rest. And I have to come clean that I wimped out and did free for the 75 as I was dying after the 100. It was still brutal though. Can't think of a time I've done a 100 fly before.

2015-09-30 9:45 AM

Master
Northern IL

That's pretty quick too! Though not sure I really know how to vary my pace in fly either. At least not by choice.

2015-09-30 10:03 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo So I'm in a funk right now - for the second time in a few months I've lost a friend. A good friend, Deputy Bill Myers, was shot and killed last week in Shalimar, Florida. He retired from the force a few years ago but found he missed his friends and most importantly, missed helping those in need so he returned to the sheriffs office on a part time basis. He was sent to serve a domestic violence injunction and collect weapons at an attorney's office. The man followed Bill out of the office and open fired on him with a concealed weapon. Bill was shot several times in the back and in the back of the head. Bill was a man who would do anything for anybody. He loved Disney and would meet any of his friends at Disney World whenever we were there. He would also drive us to "Give Kids the World" where kids on Make A Wish trips stay while on their Wish Trips to Florida so we could volunteer. He had a knack for knowing when you needed a pick-me-up text or phone call and boom! that text or call was there. Every night he would post on Facebook pictures he took of the sunrise, sunset, and the Florida wildlife. I will never again be able to look at a sunrise over a lake at the start of a race without thinking of Bill. Melanie and Steve, my thoughts are with you. As for the rest of the pod, I may not post very often but you guys are always in my thoughts as well. We are each living our lives to the fullest, doing something we love. Bill always encouraged his friends and family to live life and love life and that's exactly what we're all doing.

Oh, Robin, I'm so sorry to hear of your friend.  His 'legacy' of sunrises and sunsets is a lovely one, a wonderful way to remember him.

2015-09-30 10:11 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

That's pretty quick too! Though not sure I really know how to vary my pace in fly either. At least not by choice.

Yeah that's the problem with fly. When most people try to slow down, me included, their efficiency goes to poop and it ends up being just as hard to go slower but you get less rest.
2015-09-30 11:22 AM

User image

Seattle

Ok, here is a better link to the video now that I got it to youtube instead of just facebook: enchantments trail run

2015-09-30 11:24 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Robin, sorry to read that. I think it's really nice though, that every time you see a sunrise/sunset you will think of him.

2015-09-30 12:11 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I'm so sorry for your loss - we always seem to lose the good ones way too early. 

Sadly, we just got the news that one of my very good friends had his sister pass away yesterday... which makes this his third sibling to die from cancer this year alone.   

F**K Cancer!  

2015-10-01 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Jet Black

Yeah that's the problem with fly. When most people try to slow down, me included, their efficiency goes to poop and it ends up being just as hard to go slower but you get less rest.

I'll be giving it another try tonight.  If things get tough, I cut to free also.  I figure when the technique goes to trash and I'm doing the butterstruggle, it's better not to do that at all.  Might as well do free and at least try to get stronger.

2015-10-01 9:29 AM

Master
Northern IL

I'll be giving it another try tonight.  If things get tough, I cut to free also.  I figure when the technique goes to trash and I'm doing the butterstruggle, it's better not to do that at all.  Might as well do free and at least try to get stronger.

Have done that too, but also went to 1-arm more often once I figured that out.

2015-10-01 10:28 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Have done that too, but also went to 1-arm more often once I figured that out.

I switch to free because I can't do 1 arm fly fast enough to keep up with the lane.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66681 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28081 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11858 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37309 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66339 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.