General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race execution with heartrate. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-04 8:20 PM

User image

Subject: Race execution with heartrate.
I train and race using power on the bike and pace on the run. I am beginning monitor my heartrate during training and racing.

During a race, should I back off or push based on heartrate alone? The obvious answer is no but really I'm looking for a little guidance.

2015-06-05 6:54 AM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England
Subject: RE: Race execution with heartrate.

I wouldn't - due to the excitement of racing knocking your heart rate out.

I train a lot by HR - but race on feel and experience 

2015-06-05 8:48 AM
in reply to: #5120545

User image

Agreed but despite the reason for an elevated heartrate, shouldn't you back off.

My training is pretty dialed in and my heartrate reflects that but yesterday I was 15 beats higher than normal for all paces. Not sure what it was. Long day at work, it was pretty hot. If I find myself in that situation on race day I would think back off or blow up.
2015-06-05 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Normally on a warm day, if I was 15beats up - My initial thoughts, would be to put it down to hydration levels - rather than over cooking it - if hydration did not help regulate, then i may back off a little.

In a race you will have tapered, thus 'shouldn't' go in over cooked - so HR being out is likely to be as a result of another factor 

2015-06-05 4:46 PM
in reply to: WildWill

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
IMHO, HIM and IM racing is all about pacing. Overcook the bike, and you'll crater on the run. Overcook the first part of the run and you'll crater on the last half.

For the bike, power > HR > RPE for both training and racing.

If you have a PM and train with it, it would seem crazy to me to not use it for bike course pacing.

HR can work very well for run course pacing for the first half of the race. The danger on the run is going too hard / fast those first few miles and cratering before the end of the race. My experience has been if you can start with a reasonable, sustainable pace for the first 3-miles or so, you'll finish strong and have a great race.
2015-06-05 5:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Heart rate rises pretty proportional to core temperature. It will exaggerate the normal upward HR drift even at a pretty constant RPE effort. (Believe me, I have lots of experience with this one.) Could be a hydration issue, but it's possible to be perfectly well hydrated and still be overheated/suffer from heat exhaustion. I actually find the HRM a good tool to avoid that. I back down if my HR gets out of the zone I'm trying to hit for the workout (I established them with a test in similar conditions, which was a bit ugly, to say the least). What this means in practice is that I am probably training considerably slower here in Vietnam than in a temperate climate. I rarely time outdoor runs, but on the rare occasions I've trained on a treadmill in the AC, I've been 30-60 seconds faster per mile at the same HR. Haven't raced with HR but would consider it. Just a bit hesitant to swim with the monitor on and then try to put on the watch in transition. (I have a lower-end Garmin.)

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-06-05 5:16 PM

2015-06-07 6:15 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Originally posted by g_shotts

IMHO, HIM and IM racing is all about pacing. Overcook the bike, and you'll crater on the run. Overcook the first part of the run and you'll crater on the last half.

For the bike, power > HR > RPE for both training and racing.

If you have a PM and train with it, it would seem crazy to me to not use it for bike course pacing.

HR can work very well for run course pacing for the first half of the race. The danger on the run is going too hard / fast those first few miles and cratering before the end of the race. My experience has been if you can start with a reasonable, sustainable pace for the first 3-miles or so, you'll finish strong and have a great race.

This is how I approach HIM and IM as well. I have always monitored my fatigue by RPE. Simply because I was still learning how to train and race with power and pace. Now that those are second nature I have added heart rate to my training and racing.

Obviously I have found that the bike doesn't affect your heart rate like the run. So Power definitely would be your key metric on the bike. On the run however, it seems that if you have a goal pace but find that pace drives your heart rate to high (no matter the reason) you must back off and adjust your goals.

I approach the run in an HIM 3, 7, 3 and a IM 6, 12, 8. I have specific goals for each segment based on my training.
2015-06-07 6:20 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Heart rate rises pretty proportional to core temperature. It will exaggerate the normal upward HR drift even at a pretty constant RPE effort. (Believe me, I have lots of experience with this one.) Could be a hydration issue, but it's possible to be perfectly well hydrated and still be overheated/suffer from heat exhaustion. I actually find the HRM a good tool to avoid that. I back down if my HR gets out of the zone I'm trying to hit for the workout (I established them with a test in similar conditions, which was a bit ugly, to say the least). What this means in practice is that I am probably training considerably slower here in Vietnam than in a temperate climate. I rarely time outdoor runs, but on the rare occasions I've trained on a treadmill in the AC, I've been 30-60 seconds faster per mile at the same HR. Haven't raced with HR but would consider it. Just a bit hesitant to swim with the monitor on and then try to put on the watch in transition. (I have a lower-end Garmin.)

I have the standard Garmin heart rate strap. I do see athletes swimming with these on during races. I always assumed they weren't using them for the swim. Just wearing them to avoid putting them on in transition. I have an OLY in 7 days.

I might try wearing it during the swim and see how it goes. It will be a good test because I plan on using it for IMMuncie and IMLou this year.
2015-06-07 7:33 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Supposedly the watch and strap are okay in water, but I've had a lot of issues with monitors and watches over the years and am reluctant to try it out in the pool.(All my swim training in Vietnam is in the pool, not open water.) Might try it out at home (lake swims) and see if I'm comfortable swimming in it. It won't collect data on the swim but I would really like it for the bike in particular, since I am used to training with it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race execution with heartrate. Rss Feed