General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Personal GPS Tracker Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-10 8:32 PM

User image

New user
Sylvania
Subject: Personal GPS Tracker
I am looking for a tracker that does not rely on my phone. I want an independent unit that has some sort of app or website that allows others to see my training. I did google it but there are hundreds of these things.
Is there a best of the group for athletes to track training?

2015-06-11 6:09 AM
in reply to: glayher

User image

Subject: RE: Personal GPS Tracker
Do you mean real time "He's here on this road" type tracking?
Or do you mean uploading a bike computer that you update a webpage that you can then keep track of what you've done?

I have a garmin for a bike computer (I also use that for a real time tracking device through my phone) and when I'm done I upload it.
I use garmin connect. I also use this site for tracking

There's also trainingpeaks, velozone, strava, mapmyride. Probably a few hundred out there.
2015-06-11 8:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
I can tell you I've seen/used the Spot trackers in other areas of life enough (pilot, SAR). I've personally seen them fail to update many times. They are not really marketed for triathletes though. It could be their latest generation are better now, I do not know... but they are designed to send periodic location updates via satellite (not cellular dependent). You'd have to check into their latest reviews to see how reliable they are.

I do carry an ACR PLB in the back-country and when flying and I do trust my life to it, but it's a tad bulky for running and, while you can get a plan that lets you send "I'm OK" messages via satellite (not cellular dependent), it's not really designed for constant non-emergency tracking.

You're probably looking more for something like what myathletelive.com offers, but I have no experience with that service and it seems they are really targeting a rental market geared around big races, not daily users.

Edited by rframe 2015-06-11 8:17 AM
2015-06-11 12:40 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

My wife and I have both used Garmin GTU-10's for 5 or 6 years to keep track of each other during training and even some races. They are cellular-dependent so they have an annual (or monthly depending on what level of service you need) subscription fee associated with them. They are really for tracking pets, kids, etc. but work great for humans as well. You can locate and control the device via a website or an app on the phone. You can also temporarily allow as many others as you want to see your location (like when you are at a race), but not all the time. Battery life is dependent on how often it "pings" the cell service. It will last as long as 2 weeks if it pings every 10 minutes, and as long as 6 hours if it is continuously connected. 5 seconds seems to get about 20 hours or so. Unlike the MyAthlete rental device you can't upload a route to the service, instead you only see your location, speed, and previous track. With some clever uses of its geofence capabilities you can have it send out messages at mile splits, etc.

2015-06-11 4:01 PM
in reply to: #5121813

User image

Extreme Veteran
My husband has a spot for long mountain bike/ dirt bike rides. He usually sends me an email every 15 minutes- the interface has gotten much better- I can see on a map where he is. I think you can send every 2 minute updates. Luckily we've never tested the not okay- but once or twice I've driven out to meet him when he was way behind plan just to check on him. He's pretty tough but one time looked very happy to see me and took the offered ride home. I really like it for that purpose. I can see how much progress he has made. Granted I usually only open the emails when it's close to the time he said he would be home and I'm seeing if he actually will be home on time- or he's late.
2015-06-12 7:20 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by TankBoy

My wife and I have both used Garmin GTU-10's for 5 or 6 years to keep track of each other during training and even some races. They are cellular-dependent so they have an annual (or monthly depending on what level of service you need) subscription fee associated with them. They are really for tracking pets, kids, etc. but work great for humans as well. You can locate and control the device via a website or an app on the phone. You can also temporarily allow as many others as you want to see your location (like when you are at a race), but not all the time. Battery life is dependent on how often it "pings" the cell service. It will last as long as 2 weeks if it pings every 10 minutes, and as long as 6 hours if it is continuously connected. 5 seconds seems to get about 20 hours or so. Unlike the MyAthlete rental device you can't upload a route to the service, instead you only see your location, speed, and previous track. With some clever uses of its geofence capabilities you can have it send out messages at mile splits, etc.

The bold made me laugh!  Thanks for mentioning the GTU.  I didn't know one existed.  Father's Day present!

2015-06-12 8:35 AM
in reply to: #5122007

User image

New user
Sylvania
Thanks for all of the information. I will be looking into the Garmin devise also.
2015-06-12 3:43 PM
in reply to: #5122099

User image

New user
Sylvania
Garmin is discontinued and there was a post saying that the technology it uses won't work after 1-1-2016. I am not saying that is true but I read it on the internet so it must be (haha).
I am looking at the Trax now.
2015-06-12 11:38 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Hey, great RWB gear

Unfortunately the Garmin GT10 discontinuation is true.

myathletetracker works great for races (I've heard) and they keep threatening to actually sell their units but nothing so far, heh. Worth watching, though.

SPOT can be spotty, and the unit is big enough that you may as well bring a phone.

Some of the new smart watches take a SIM card so can be used for that. The truly water/weather resistant ones cost a pretty penny, though.

You might be able to get pettracker.com to do it.

My husband (also a BTer) and I are developing an athlete-centered tracker (it really doesn't exist! nuts!) but through crowdfunding so it won't be in-your-hand available for 5-6 months.

2015-06-13 12:15 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

, Louisiana
Looked into the Garmin, and their website states that after the first of the year AT&T has dropped the support for its use. I would think they will offer something soon to fill that void.
2015-06-14 12:06 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

My neighbor uses something to track his daughters, a small pod is attached to something like a backpack and he interfaces it with an app.  I'll find out the particulars of what it is.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Personal GPS Tracker Rss Feed