General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Master Swimming Clubs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-28 6:43 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Master Swimming Clubs
Hi all,

I am new to the triathlon training business. I've been training for 2 months in hopes of doing a tri next spring. I have run for years, but my swimming needs some work.

I can finally swim 50m without stopping. I take a short break and then do another lap until I reach 1000m. I have had 2 friends swim with me to give me tips on my technique and neither one could offer any suggestions other than to keep practicing. I would really like to improve my endurance and work on making my stroke efficient. I also could use a kick in the butt occasionally. So, I was thinking of contacting the local master swim club. Here are my questions:
What can I expect at a practice?
Do you just show up to a practice or do you call and ask to come?
Is this the best route to improve my swimming?
Would it be better to get some private swim lessons from a Total Immersion coach? ($$!!)
Has anyone else been in a beginner swimmer at a Master Swim practice that can give me advice?

Thanks all!

2006-08-28 7:23 AM
in reply to: #523807

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Master Swimming Clubs
Welcome Katiemama,

Masters swim group provides coached workouts several times per week. They should provide not only the workouts, but also some technique instruction. Its really a good deal finance wise compared to private swim lessons.

Masters should be open to anyone over age 18. So eligibility probably isnt a problem.

You may have trouble finishing the workouts for awhile. But I guarantee that if you keep it up, you'll be doing them with no trouble in no time at all.

Good luck and enjoy the water. Its nice
2006-08-28 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
I was really nervous about going to my first masters workout and I was a half way decent swimmer at the time (28 min for 1500 m). As it turned out, I had nothing to worry about. Everyone there was really friendly and eager to help. I say this because you sound a little nervous in your post. We get new people all the time who have never had a swim lesson and are in the same boat as you. The philosophy is basically the more the merrier. Before long, they're up and swimming as much as the rest of us.

My swimming has also greatly improved as a result of masters. All programs are a little different, but I would highly recommend this as the preferred (and most cost effective) route to improving.
2006-08-28 1:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I joined a Masters swim team in July. I was very nervous going into it because I didn't know anyone on the team and I've no swimming background. I have really enjoyed it. I was able to hook up with a couple of other newbies to the team and one coach has been teaching us technique drills, so I have definitely gotten a lot of teaching. I swim two drill workouts and one longer swim with the team each week. I have definitely gained some confidence in the water, but I am still working on technique so much that I haven't experienced any speed increase yet, but I'm hoping after a winter of training with them that I will see that next year. The cost for joining the swim team is definitely less prohibitive than hiring a swim coach or taking a TI course. I lucked out and found a Masters team that does a lot of teaching and not just swimming so I am very happy with my choice. The swim team I joined had a free two week trial that I did before I paid for a membership, so I would call a local Masters team and see if they will offer you a trial.
2006-08-28 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I say try the Masters route and see how it meets your needs.

From there, if you need more instruction than they can give, they can probably refer a reasonablity priced coach who can assist you with your technique. You don't have to shell out the money for TI to become a great swimmer.

Good luck!
2006-08-28 2:17 PM

User image

Buttercup

Katie,

Not all Masters teams are alike. We have a few here in Tampa - 1 team coach actually told me they didn't like triathletes on the team because they weren't committed to doing swim meets; they also had a waiting list to join. The other team was vverrrrry laid-back (they go drinking together) and happy to have me; they didn't really care if I did meets or not. The teams charged different membership rates. Who know what you'll find with your local team? Call ahead and ask your questions.

You might find some helpful information here, too: www.usms.org

Best route to improving your swim is to have your coach correct your stroke/form and then put in the yards. Your form is everything in swimming. Have you begun strengthening your core? Cuz that's where it all starts.

Edit to add: I stumbled across this website and this page: The 18 Biggest Myths in Pool & Ocean Swimming, by Clay Evans. Good, concise article.

Edited by Renee 2006-08-28 2:33 PM

2006-08-28 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
As it's been pointed out there's no way of predicting what your local Master's groups/classes are like until you try them -- so give it a go!

You've done the most important part already -- getting started!
2006-08-28 3:51 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I've been going to 'masters swim' at my club a day or two a week since last Oct. The instructor varies routines for all skill levels to keep things interesting - yardage varies, but is usually 2000-2500 yds. When I started last yr I was able to do about 1/4 of the routine, but now regularly finish the full prescribed yardage.

I got many things out of the class, but the technique aspect was invaluable. Once you get some technique down, they'll work you on your endurance by doing repeats, distance, etc. You'll get better much faster than doing things on your own and with proper instruction you'll engraine good habits as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Master Swimming Clubs Rss Feed