General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition During Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-06 3:47 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: Nutrition During Race
What do you eat/drink/consume for calories during a race?

All I've ever used is GU.

2015-08-06 3:48 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Nutrition During Race
I have used gu, e-gels and cliff shot blockers.
2015-08-06 4:15 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Half IronMan - once the race starts.

Bike - 3 Honey Stinger Waffles, 1 at mile 5, 25, 45
Sip Gatorade every 10-15 minutes and make sure 2 full bottles gone plus 1 Water (20 ouncers -all). Nothing after mile 50.

Run
Water/Gatorade per thirst, stop the minute I start to feel a sloshy stomach

I'm probably on the low end, but this works for me. (740 calories for 3 Waffles and 2 Gatorades), I make sure I have a decent breakfast 2 hours before gun time, then a waffle or 2 about 30 minutes before the race.

2015-08-06 4:16 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I would suggest searching this web site for the nutrition. This topic comes up a LOT so there's a ton of good stuff in the forum.  

2015-08-06 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by marti038

Generally you'll want to match the same nutrition/hydration that you use in training.
with exception of what is offered in the aid stations (may or may not be suitable to you).

it also varies widely on the distance of the race(s) you are doing.
You don't really need anything for a sprint, maybe a few gels for an Olympic on the bike & run

HIM and IM is where the nutrition/hydration plan becomes more serious.

Personally, I like Chomps, Powerbars and Hammer Gels.
2015-08-06 6:36 PM

User image

Portland, Oregon
Cliff Shot Blox and Honey Stinger chews have been my go-to nutrition for the Olympic tris and half-marathons I've done. Gu doesn't go down well for me, and lately Gatorade and Powerade haven't sat well, so I just drink water with my energy chews.

2015-08-07 12:01 AM
in reply to: martymo

Sarasota, Florida
Being new and a light weight I've yet to try anything and started a thread asking the same in nutrition.
I searched "caffeine" but didn't find what I was after.

I'm sorry, but that goes against everything I've ever been taught in health class, survival classes, and nutritional readings.
I can name half a dozen reasons why, but who am I to argue? I'm sure scientists know better than an armchair page flipper.

Thanks Swimbikeron and martymo for sharing honeystinger products.

I think this is what I'm after, cause I feel like my glucose levels drop a pinch even during my sprint training.
Sure I could survive fine without anything, but I'd like to push my envelope.
Thanks for asking OP.
2015-08-07 4:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm kind of a minimalist. Nausea can be a big issue for me when racing and I need to err on the side of caution and make sure I have nutrition that goes down well, and not too much of it!

Sprint: Eat nothing, electrolyte drink (no calories) in aerobottle on bike, water or sports drink off course on run (if hot)

Olympic and International Distance: One gu on the bike, one gu on the run (about 200 calories). Nuun and water to drink.

Half Ironman: I struggled with nutrition in my first HIM and some of my international distance races. (Nausea, gagging, even puking gu, trouble swallowing energy bars). Nor have I fared well with chews/blocks or sweetened sports drinks. After a good training ride where I happened to grab a bar of dark chocolate beforehand, I decided to experiment with this somewhat unconventional fuel..... For a HIM in May, I ate most of a bar of dark chocolate plus one gu on the bike; for a HIM in July, I used the chocolate as my only nutrition on the bike. For me, dark chocolate works great--goes down well, doesn't upset my stomach, keeps my energy levels steady. Don't think I would do this for a shorter race, though. Water and electrolyte drink on bike.

Two gus (thinner one with caffeine and electrolytes) on run. Water and electrolyte drink (Nuun) on run.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-08-07 4:07 AM
2015-08-07 7:09 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by marti038

Sprint- drink a little water/ or Gatorade at the end of bike
Oly - 2 Gu's on bike & about 30-32 oz of Gatorade; run- mostly water maybe a Gatorade(small cups)
HIM - 1 gu &24oz of Gatorade every 45 minutes
IM - 1gu & 24oz of Gatorade every 45 minutes - on the run anything I can keep down that they have at the aid stations as the gu & Gatorade starts to taste awful after 8 hrs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition During Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Race nutrition (night before/day of/during race)

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1100 Posts: 11

2012-06-22 3:16 PM rjrankin83

Nutrition intake during Olympic race - Help!

Started by StandsWithFist
Views: 1220 Posts: 12

2007-03-27 2:56 PM chirunner134

Nutrition during the race

Started by Sassafras
Views: 670 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 3:20 PM Sassafras

Not racing during a race

Started by mnewton
Views: 1000 Posts: 10

2006-02-01 10:24 AM Nakima

Nutrition before, during, and after workouts -- 200 level

Started by Whit
Views: 635 Posts: 3

2004-05-28 10:35 AM KPA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2012
author : IronTom
comments : 1
Mistakes in fueling that you can correct during training.

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m

date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.
date : October 22, 2008
author : mrakes1
If I am 'hammering it' the entire time do I need to take any nutrition with me on this sprint race? I know under normal training I wouldn't need any additional nutrition for this distance.

date : August 20, 2008
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : February 12, 2007
Now is the time to practice, perfect and master your training and racing nutrition. Especially for the beginner triathlete, this is the time for developing an individualized nutrition plan.