General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone a nurse and did an Ironman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-16 4:23 PM

Regular
Subject: Anyone a nurse and did an Ironman?
My friend wants me to do an Ironman with him in October. I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts, from 7pm to 7am, 3 days a week. He has a bunch of plans for 6 days a week training, but that won't be possible with my schedule.

So anyone here work a similar type of schedule and have some advice or ways to modify a plan?

Thanks!

2015-08-16 4:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone a nurse and did an Ironman?
I'm not a nurse but am a doctor. My schedule is pretty crazy and varies between day, evening and night shifts. While most of my shifts aren't 12 hours, I completely understand your predicament. My first year in triathlons (last year), I tried to do my own training plan with one from the internet that I tweaked to accommodate my schedule. I completed my first 70.3 that year but was well below my potential and was frustrated at the end of the race. I hired a coach and explained to him my lifestyle (work and personal). He makes the most out of my time with short (mostly 1-2 hour workouts) during my periods of work and 2-3 hours on my days off. I have a trainer where I do most of my bike workouts as I can get these workouts in at any time and in any weather. I miss outside riding some but it a small concession to make in order to get my training in. As for my runs and swims, those are carefully planned either at the beginning of my stretch of shifts where I'm still fresh or on one of my shorter 9 hour shifts. We also have yoga style and other workouts (i.e. squats, lunges, dry land swim mimic resistance band session, etc.) on days where we know that I won't be able to swim, bike or run. I don't think I could come up with a proper training plan that would prepare me for my 70.3 races without him. He's done a wonderful job of making the most of my time. This year, I did two 70.3s (and have one more next month) as well as Escape from Alcatraz. I would have never completed Alcatraz or dropped 40 minutes off my previous 70.3 time this year without my coach. I would recommend getting a coach as that is his/her job to train you to the best of your ability without injury with what time you have. If you are set against coaching, I would definitely incorporate resistance band sessions for swimming if you can't make it to the pool as well as trainer rides (both training pace and intervals). If you have a treadmill, you can also get those sessions in at home. I find that the less driving to my workout that I have to do, the more I enjoy the workout and am less likely to skip it. These are just my opinions and personal experience, but I hope you find them helpful.

Edit: I understand that training for a full is much more intense than training for a half, but the points are the same. It can be done...it's just very difficult and requires delicate planning to prevent injury.

Edited by Rdracer99 2015-08-16 4:59 PM
2015-08-17 1:00 PM
in reply to: Rdracer99

Regular
Thank you for your reply!
2015-08-18 6:40 AM
in reply to: kilgoretrout

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Hi,

I am a nurse and have completed 3 ironmans while working 12 hr shifts. Yes, it can be done! Try not to do overtime though. What I was able to do was 2 shifts in a row, day off and then one or even better get the 3 shifts over with. On my first shift I swam and ran, 2nd shift I fit in a bike or run , third shift day off. I had a coach who was definitely very helpful in working around my schedule. I also tried to be not very OCD and moved things around if needed.

I am now on a 5 day a week 8hr schedule and training for my 4th IM and I must say I am having a much more difficult time fitting in my workouts!

Good luck and yes U can!

Happy training,

Alicia
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone a nurse and did an Ironman? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Has anyone done IRONMAN San Juan, Puerto Rico 70.3

Started by rizz923
Views: 1226 Posts: 3

2012-09-14 8:08 AM goodday2tri

Has anyone done Ironman 70.3 California

Started by gbgice
Views: 1107 Posts: 7

2009-08-11 6:24 PM caelric

first time ironmen/women and anyone doing IMCDA '10

Started by ironlib
Views: 794 Posts: 3

2009-07-05 2:07 PM trishie

Anyone doing RedMan in OKC?

Started by zakk
Views: 820 Posts: 3

2005-08-05 2:49 PM zakk

Anyone doing IM Wisconsin???

Started by kleinrider
Views: 1666 Posts: 13

2004-11-29 4:30 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.