Pro
Subject: RE: Participation Trophy?

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by Left Brain

Well wait.....you said in another post that we shouldn't hide the identity of kids when it comes to test scores and I would also have no problem with that.  BUt then you say......"Let those kids in your triathlon just enjoy s/b/r without having to feel the are not as good as other kids."

Which is it?  Are you sure you aren't biased by your "lack of the athletic gene" as you call it?  It wouldn't be the first time that someone who had really good grades but was not athletic felt that way.

Look.....I think that sounds a bit snarky which is not my intention.....if we were sitting with each other having the conversation I don't think it would come off that way.  I'm genuinely curious.

Are you referring to this: I always thought it was odd that college teachers would publish grades by student number.... I don't seem to the option to make COLLEGE bold font. Again, it comes down to what is age appropiate. If you are in college your grades should be made public so everyone knows where they stand and where you stand. But not children...... My dad said when he was a kid in the 3rd grade, his dad bought him big leather shoes. He told my dad he needed to dress like a man! My dad said he didn't want to be a man...he just wanted to be a kid...and wear sneakers like the other kids. Am I biased? Absolutely! I am 100% biased in every thought and opinion I have. Anyone who thinks they are capable of opining without their own life's experiencs biasing their opinions doesn't understand the definiton of opinion. Opinions, by definition, are not factual, they are judgements. And judgements are biased. Does that make it wrong? Nope. It's just a different pardigm. I am not competitive in sports and don't put much value in athletics other than for entertainment value. I think (my opinion) that society puts way too much emphasis on sprots. It's not right that we pay millions of dollars to guys for playing golf or BB or football and then pay US servicement and educators a salary right at the poverty line.

Eh....maybe you should have bolded it for me.

I agree 100% about opinions. You can't really have one without the experiences to back it up.  In my family, many of us have or will go to college at a greatly reduced cost due to athletics.  My own son may not pay a dime.  Many of his cousins, like my cousins and I, will get full or partial athletic scholarships.  Some of us had good grades, some of is didn't.  None of us had or have parents who made us participate or yelled at us while we did......but I would say that sport has defined my family and extended family more than anything else....and still seems to hang on through generations.

We start them playing young.......mostly as an extension of the sports/games/athletic endeavors we are already involved in.  The only differences in the kids are that some of them obviously can't stand to lose and some of them don't care as much.  There is no point in putting those kids who can't stand losing in any kind of participation league.....they will just be miserable.  It's truly not fun for them.  In fact, you are doing them a disservice by NOT putting them in competitive situations......because learning to lose well is the biggest lesson to be learned by those nuts. LOL

Again, there was a time when I would have said make it fun for all kids......but I have learned that you can't say that for all kids and for all sports.  One thing I have not changed my mind on is that it all has to be driven by the kid.  Once you get into a position where you are making a kid play a sport, or making them practice, you have walked into a potential mess that can really screw a kid up.

My son got about $50k in academic scholarships and recently graduated in electrical engineering. He got offered a $75k scholarship to go to Santa Clara law but instead is staying in Tuscaloosa working as a waiter....near his GF. Go figure. He thinks he can do better than the 85 percentile he made on the LSAT and get in UA Law next year. So academics has served us well. He can't hit a damn baseball but he was the head of the scholars bowl. Oh wait, he did get a hit once in little league.....he snacked a line drive....then was so shocked he actually hit the ball in a game he stood there looking at the ball....with me jumping up and down like a monkey yelling 'run Nick! RUN'. He turned a nice base hit into getting thrown out at first....so technically not a hit. But I was proud!

This will get us a bit off track, but academic scholarships are the craziest thing I've ever seen because they are all over the chart.  My son has been an average student, but he scored a 29 on his ACT so his athletic scholarship offers, from some schools, also include a substantial amount of money from academic scholarships......but again, to some schools all that matters is GPA for academic scholarships.  It's weird.  And then there's the private institutions who offer athletic scholarships for sports that are not NCAA sanctioned, like cycling and even triathlon.  College scholarship money is a road with a lot of turns.

My son got 33 on his ACT. He did not have a high GPA. IdK why he got to much.

He would have got one hell of a lot more than 50K if he was a top tier high school athlete with a 33.......just saying.   

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Participation Trophy? Rss Feed  

of 4