General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Earplugs for OWS? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-30 10:24 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: Earplugs for OWS?
I came across the QA below in a FAQ on the website of a commercial SF bay focused swim group. Granted, one of the sponsor's of that site is Mack's so I have to be skeptical, but how necessary if at all are earplugs for OWS (and in particular in the SF bay)? I do understand a little bit about the 7th cranial nerve and the inner ear from my swim days. What about the bacteria issue? Or is all of this just a shill to sell more of their sponsor's goods?

Q: Why do I need earplugs?
A: ALWAYS wear earplugs-- and "Mack’s" are the best. If the inner ear gets cold, it affects your equilibrium and you may become dizzy after leaving the water. Earplugs also help keep your head warm and protect you from bacteria in the water.

2006-08-30 10:36 AM
in reply to: #526682

Elite
Subject: RE: Earplugs for OWS?

All's I know is: After my first OWS practice I was so dizzy I just about threw up. Got the Mack's "pillow soft" earplugs ($1.50 a pair) and have not had any similar problems at all since. The Mack's are basically balls of silicone that mold into the shape of your ear - very good watertight seal with no discomfort. I use them for all swim training now - no more ears full of water all morning.

The manufacturer advises that they are good for 5 uses but I used my first pair about 10 times with no adverse effects. (When they started to get really noticeably discolored I discarded them and moved on to the next pair.) I have only used Mack's so I can't comment on comparisons with other brands.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Earplugs for OWS? Rss Feed