BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-10-12 9:42 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Do you think these fins are good for swim training?  No matter, off  to run a 5K race.   Doctor approved.

Not sure about the fins but I like the idea of taking the spear gun along on some of the triathlon swims I've done  ...kidding, kidding!

Sorry to hear about your tumble during the trail run.  You still had a great finish time, congrats!

2015-10-12 9:46 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Karen, welcome!  Thanks for the official bio.  I find your story very interesting.

Weekend recap: Sat: sorting Dad stuff with siblings, then off to Philly for the first Widows game of the season.  We worked hard with our meager numbers (8 to their 12) and kept the game close, tying at 2.  Sun: a morning of laziness followed by getting some very necessary yard work done and (squeal!) prepping the garden for my new garlic bed.

I've been facing some major motivational issues with regard to training.  Part of me wants to, but part of me just isn't feeling it.  Mostly mental, but a little physical, too.  I have a 10K coming up in a few weeks that I really should be training for...

2015-10-12 11:34 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk WOW this is great! With only 1 page I feel all caught up!! Welcome Karen! Last week was a cluster at work and I think this week will be much of the same. I did, however, start up with my new coach and I'm excited and scared she's going to kick my a$$! LOL I decided to run the Hartford Half marathon on Saturday - WTH I was there with DH who was running the full so why not. It was ok - to finish is to win! Beautiful weather though! WOOT! Ok carry on. And I hope I'm not one of the ones that get's thinned out of the pod

I've had this race on the radar for a few years but haven't quite been able to schedule it.  My sister lives in Glastonbury and I thought it would be a good excuse to visit her and to race in all the beautiful Fall colors.  Glad the rains cleared up in time for your race.

2015-10-12 11:42 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by melbo55

Hi Karen, welcome!  Thanks for the official bio.  I find your story very interesting.

Weekend recap: Sat: sorting Dad stuff with siblings, then off to Philly for the first Widows game of the season.  We worked hard with our meager numbers (8 to their 12) and kept the game close, tying at 2.  Sun: a morning of laziness followed by getting some very necessary yard work done and (squeal!) prepping the garden for my new garlic bed.

I've been facing some major motivational issues with regard to training.  Part of me wants to, but part of me just isn't feeling it.  Mostly mental, but a little physical, too.  I have a 10K coming up in a few weeks that I really should be training for...

Hang in there Melanie.  You've been through a lot and it's pretty normal (I'd think almost expected) to have motiviational swings.  I'll continue praying for you and your family.  If you can get out for a run, you'll probably feel better when all is said and done.

2015-10-12 11:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Starting to rethink what is on and just beyond the horizon for me.  I find it very motivating to have at least one A race out there.  It helps pull me through the winter and provides some guidance/focus as to how I should be training over the coming weeks/months.  I had thrown out there IM Texas but after my last marathon I just don't think I have the durability or desire to shuffle through a painful post-bike marathon.  Been thinking that Galveston 70.3 might be a better option.  I've never done a flat HIM and for once I'd like to see what I can do without getting beat down by hills (I'm not a good climber).

For the next three weeks, I need to continue building my run mileage for Vegas RnR while getting some trainer time in.  I'm going to wait until after the marathon to get back in the pool.  That'll take a little mental pressure off time management-wise.  My biggest problem is to slow my run pace down in order to absorb the volume increase without beating myself down.  For some reason, I just really struggle with that. 

Edited by popsracer 2015-10-12 11:55 AM
2015-10-12 12:30 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Hot Runner Can I join if I offer a pet pic bribe? (File is too big but I can post it from work on Monday after I re-size it there or do it on my I-pad later.). Gets pretty lonely here sometimes!

We love new Manatees!

Please post an introduction when you have a chance.

P.S.  I was a Trader Joe's today and they had samples of pumpkin toaster pastries (aka TJ's pop tarts).  Yum!

Pumpkin toaster pastries??? Now I for sure need to take a trip to TJ. I also need Cookie Crack, um I mean Cookie Butter and their Mac and Cheese. Meanwhile, on my run today I came across a 4 foot bull snake (it wasn't a spider so all was good). Usually I talk to the bunnies, field mice, cows, horse, and any dog that I see during my runs and bikes. Today I didn't want to talk to the snake because I was afraid people would think I was a parsal mouth. 20 minutes later I stopped at the car to refill my water and when I started up again I stepped off the curb funny and twisted my good ankle. But it's my knee that hurts, not my ankle. So weird.

What did I run across today but a review for the Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookie Butter -- http://bakingbites.com/2015/10/trader-joes-pumpkin-pie-spice-cookie-butter-reviewed/  (and recipe).

I think that Kevin will want the Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup.

2015-10-12 12:34 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I do hope coaching works out. I have had some really great experiences and one pretty bad experience with coaching (for running) in the past, but that was all a long, long time ago. I just feel like I'm pretty good at working hard and developing my run and swim fitness; not so great at figuring out the bike or getting to races healthy and at my physical peak. Not deluding myself that I'm the next Rinny or anything, but I do think there's potential there I'm not realizing, even if I made no actual improvement but just got to a race healthy and put my three best splits together! I do have a run background and something of a swim background and actually do some coaching myself (kids) but tri is just a different animal with three sports to balance. I also don't have the benefit of more experienced athletes, coaches, or tri clubs locally. (Last year, I hosted a party for the Vietnam athletes after a race, and seven people showed up. We all knew each other, and it was such a small affair that people were taking showers and naps in my bungalow, and someone even wandered away for the night leaving a Cervelo,, and I knew whose it was.) Even our club in Oregon fell apart after the tri shop it was associated with went under. Pretty much everything I know about tri I have learned from magazines or BT. Probably not that qualified as a tri coach--I deserve to be sacked!

As you know, a good coach will help you balance the three sports and have you peak at the right time.  Someone once told me that he thought taper meant don't ride on Friday before a race.  :-D  May your coach help you get to the race at your healthy best!

2015-10-12 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For the uninitiated (and the forgetful), the Windows are your hockey team, right?  And you are the goalie?

2015-10-12 1:16 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner Can I join if I offer a pet pic bribe? (File is too big but I can post it from work on Monday after I re-size it there or do it on my I-pad later.). Gets pretty lonely here sometimes!

We love new Manatees!

P.S.  I was a Trader Joe's today and they had samples of pumpkin toaster pastries (aka TJ's pop tarts).  Yum!

Pumpkin toaster pastries??? Now I for sure need to take a trip to TJ. I also need Cookie Crack, um I mean Cookie Butter and their Mac and Cheese. Meanwhile, on my run today I came across a 4 foot bull snake (it wasn't a spider so all was good). Usually I talk to the bunnies, field mice, cows, horse, and any dog that I see during my runs and bikes. Today I didn't want to talk to the snake because I was afraid people would think I was a parsal mouth. 20 minutes later I stopped at the car to refill my water and when I started up again I stepped off the curb funny and twisted my good ankle. But it's my knee that hurts, not my ankle. So weird.

What did I run across today but a review for the Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookie Butter -- http://bakingbites.com/2015/10/trader-joes-pumpkin-pie-spice-cookie-butter-reviewed/  (and recipe).

Wait! You can cook using Cookie Crack? You mean I'm not supposed to spread it on my bagel in the morning?

Why does Trader Joes have to be so far away from my house???
2015-10-12 1:17 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

For the uninitiated (and the forgetful), the Windows are your hockey team, right?  And you are the goalie?

Correct on both counts.  For further clarification for those not in the know, I am a goaltender on a women's recreational ice hockey team called the Black Widows in a women's league. 

On a related note of women's hockey, history was made yesterday with the first two games of the newly formed NWHL being held in Buffalo, NY and Stamford, CT. NWHL link I was able to watch a little bit of the game between the New York Riveters and the Connecticut Whale thanks to online streaming.  One of my hockey teammates was there with her young daughters, so very cool.  Sounds like both were very good, exciting games!

Edited by melbo55 2015-10-12 1:19 PM
2015-10-12 1:24 PM

User image

Master

Correct on both counts.  For further clarification for those not in the know, I am a goaltender on a women's recreational ice hockey team called the Black Widows in a women's league. 

On a related note of women's hockey, history was made yesterday with the first two games of the newly formed NWHL being held in Buffalo, NY and Stamford, CT. NWHL link I was able to watch a little bit of the game between the New York Riveters and the Connecticut Whale thanks to online streaming.  One of my hockey teammates was there with her young daughters, so very cool.  Sounds like both were very good, exciting games!

I saw a great tweet yesterday: "Always remember that the first ever NWHL goal was scored by a Hawaiian-born Japanese American raised in California. #grow the game".  So fantastic for the game of hockey!

2015-10-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!  I have swum and strength trained this morning.  I plan to eat and drink to excess later.  Well, maybe eat to excess, just a drink or two. 

2015-10-12 1:26 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk WOW this is great! With only 1 page I feel all caught up!! Welcome Karen! Last week was a cluster at work and I think this week will be much of the same. I did, however, start up with my new coach and I'm excited and scared she's going to kick my a$$! LOL I decided to run the Hartford Half marathon on Saturday - WTH I was there with DH who was running the full so why not. It was ok - to finish is to win! Beautiful weather though! WOOT! Ok carry on. And I hope I'm not one of the ones that get's thinned out of the pod

I've had this race on the radar for a few years but haven't quite been able to schedule it.  My sister lives in Glastonbury and I thought it would be a good excuse to visit her and to race in all the beautiful Fall colors.  Glad the rains cleared up in time for your race.

I think the rain we had Friday really made the colors of the leaves really pop this weekend. They all look awesome today!
2015-10-12 1:27 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

How did I not know this?!
2015-10-12 1:28 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Starting to rethink what is on and just beyond the horizon for me.  I find it very motivating to have at least one A race out there.  It helps pull me through the winter and provides some guidance/focus as to how I should be training over the coming weeks/months.  I had thrown out there IM Texas but after my last marathon I just don't think I have the durability or desire to shuffle through a painful post-bike marathon.  Been thinking that Galveston 70.3 might be a better option.  I've never done a flat HIM and for once I'd like to see what I can do without getting beat down by hills (I'm not a good climber).

For the next three weeks, I need to continue building my run mileage for Vegas RnR while getting some trainer time in.  I'm going to wait until after the marathon to get back in the pool.  That'll take a little mental pressure off time management-wise.  My biggest problem is to slow my run pace down in order to absorb the volume increase without beating myself down.  For some reason, I just really struggle with that. 

Galveston bike course was super fast. I still don't know how I went 21.1 mph on 191 watts (and my PM was 10-20 watts high at the time). For perspective, I only went 23 mph at my last sprint race on 237 watts. I was just hoping to break 20 mph. The roads were silky smooth.

The run was a little bit of a beat down, lots of snaking around and a bunch of turnarounds.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-10-12 1:30 PM
2015-10-12 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

We love new Manatees!

Wait! You can cook using Cookie Crack? You mean I'm not supposed to spread it on my bagel in the morning? Why does Trader Joes have to be so far away from my house???

I wish Trader Joes was far from my house (it is in fact very  close).  My wife is an addict and spends an incredible amount of money there every week.  Unfortunately, I am a very plain eater and am quite content with boring food.  Everything she brings back is some weird flavor.  For example, we can't just have potato chips.  They have to be flavored with all manner of things that do not belong on chips.  What ever happens to plain or bbq?  I guess it is her way of curtailing my snacking.

Edited by popsracer 2015-10-12 1:42 PM

2015-10-12 1:43 PM

Master
Northern IL

fyi, going from "Widows" to "Windows" to "Black Widows" leads to very different impressions of this team.

2015-10-12 1:48 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black

Galveston bike course was super fast. I still don't know how I went 21.1 mph on 191 watts (and my PM was 10-20 watts high at the time). For perspective, I only went 23 mph at my last sprint race on 237 watts. I was just hoping to break 20 mph. The roads were silky smooth. The run was a little bit of a beat down, lots of snaking around and a bunch of turnarounds.

You went that fast because you are a beast Sean.  

2015-10-12 1:51 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by brigby1

fyi, going from "Widows" to "Windows" to "Black Widows" leads to very different impressions of this team.

Ha, good catch, Ben!  I missed Janyne's typo.  At a tournament in Montreal one year, they gave out free team photos with the team name, year, tournament, etc. printed on them.  Yup, they put 'Black Windows' on our pictures, becoming a running joke with the team.

2015-10-12 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ha, good catch, Ben!  I missed Janyne's typo.  At a tournament in Montreal one year, they gave out free team photos with the team name, year, tournament, etc. printed on them.  Yup, they put 'Black Windows' on our pictures, becoming a running joke with the team.

Ah well, you can't have everything -- least of all good spelling

2015-10-12 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Microsoft conspiracy.

2015-10-12 2:47 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!  I have swum and strength trained this morning.  I plan to eat and drink to excess later.  Well, maybe eat to excess, just a drink or two. 

Happy Canadian T-giving! Good to know eating to excess is a universal t-giving tradition!!

2015-10-12 7:55 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi everyone

Wondering if i can join in on the fun and camaraderie? 

I am a long time BT-er and sometimes lurker

I am not training for anything right now but trying to keep up some consistency to keep the stress and fluff off.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving - we celebrated today by enjoying the amazing weather (thunderstorm is rolling in right now) - we had an awesome family turkey dinner yesterday! 

I'll poke in tomorrow!

Have a good night!

Jen

2015-10-12 9:13 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot RunnerI do have a run background and something of a swim background and actually do some coaching myself (kids) but tri is just a different animal with three sports to balance. I also don't have the benefit of more experienced athletes, coaches, or tri clubs locally. (Last year, I hosted a party for the Vietnam athletes after a race, and seven people showed up. We all knew each other, and it was such a small affair that people were taking showers and naps in my bungalow, and someone even wandered away for the night leaving a Cervelo,, and I knew whose it was.) Even our club in Oregon fell apart after the tri shop it was associated with went under. Pretty much everything I know about tri I have learned from magazines or BT. Probably not that qualified as a tri coach--I deserve to be sacked!

Wasn't long ago there was a discussion on doing butterfly in here. Perhaps you'll have more luck explaining it, especially with the 500 IMs you used to do. 

2015-10-12 10:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by Hot RunnerI do have a run background and something of a swim background and actually do some coaching myself (kids) but tri is just a different animal with three sports to balance. I also don't have the benefit of more experienced athletes, coaches, or tri clubs locally. (Last year, I hosted a party for the Vietnam athletes after a race, and seven people showed up. We all knew each other, and it was such a small affair that people were taking showers and naps in my bungalow, and someone even wandered away for the night leaving a Cervelo,, and I knew whose it was.) Even our club in Oregon fell apart after the tri shop it was associated with went under. Pretty much everything I know about tri I have learned from magazines or BT. Probably not that qualified as a tri coach--I deserve to be sacked!

Wasn't long ago there was a discussion on doing butterfly in here. Perhaps you'll have more luck explaining it, especially with the 500 IMs you used to do. 

Fly is all rhythm and kinda like a cartoon inch worm: hands enter, head/chest/shoulders drive down followed by the torso, hips, upper legs, and finally the feet. Practice dolphin dives in chest deep water (we used to call them timers). In a standing position, push off from the bottom of the pool. Enter with your hands first above your head and drive your hands to the bottom of the pool. Relax your back so it flexes as your hands get near the bottom. The closer you get to the bottom, the lower half of your body will come out of the water and the motion will continue through to your feet.

I know that was all clear as mud and I wish I could just show you what I mean. Just remember to relax your back and let it bend or flex through the motions.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54304 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66743 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28111 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11878 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66378 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.