General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Tendonitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-11 12:27 PM

User image

Subject: Achilles Tendonitis

Hey,

I have a recurring Achilles ache in my left leg, I ruptured the one in my right leg about 20 years ago.

The latest tweak came off running a 20k (which is long for me) then a few days later doing a strength session which included dead lifts and lunges, then on a 10k aerobic run (two days later) I had to stop and walk the last half kilometre due to the pain.

It's likely the sessions before have contributed to this latest episode but in reality I always have a mild (1 out of 10) ache in my right Achilles.

Question is: Has anyone else suffered from this and over come it? If so, how?

2015-12-01 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Achilles Tendonitis
My first year in the game I had AT in both legs. I ended up doing my first sprint with only 4 days running in four months. 100% my fault for pushing too hard too fast. I have been lucky that it is no longer an issue.

First, let them rest. If you don't , they will continue to bother you forever. Then stretch... a LOT. Do a lot of eccentric exercises where you stand on the edge of a step of the stairs and let your heels drop below the step and then push up so the heel is above the step. Don't hurry these, do them slowly and deliberately. As the Achilles starts to feel better, add some weight to your body with a weighted backpack (or whatever accomplishes the same effect).

I was doing 1 set of 30, five times a day gradually increasing to 3 sets x 5 a day. Fortunately have not had any issues with them since. I still do a few sets every day as part of my stretch routine.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Stuartap 2015-12-01 9:44 AM
2015-12-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Achilles Tendonitis

I went through a three year battle with AT before getting past it.  I tried everything including a lot of rest but it just wouldn't go away.  What finally worked for me was to stay active but at a low intensity.  I found that just very light running for a few miles frequently kept it stretched without putting additional strain on it.  I have had one recent recurrence that has lasted a few months but going back to low intensity has worked as I'm almost over it and ready for some speed work soon.  It is something that takes great patience to get through.  I also diverted more of my training to swimming/biking as I went through the worst of it as those activities did not bother me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Tendonitis Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

achilles tendonitis

Started by sappho96
Views: 792 Posts: 3

2006-02-27 1:47 PM sappho96

Achilles tendonitis

Started by krisharvey
Views: 911 Posts: 3

2005-07-16 5:23 PM rlaffey

Achilles tendonitis

Started by cook865
Views: 926 Posts: 3

2005-04-27 3:00 PM cook865

Achilles Tendonitis?

Started by apenton
Views: 1499 Posts: 9

2004-11-10 2:13 PM Edd

Achilles Tendonitis or something else?

Started by kimj81
Views: 1468 Posts: 4

2004-09-27 11:56 AM Scottus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 15, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Six weeks ago I felt a tug on my achilles during a treadmill run. I had really been finding my stride the last few weeks ramping up mileage again for the running season.

date : May 9, 2011
comments : 2
Achilles Tendonitis is one of the most common running injuries due to overtraining. In this video, a sports medicine doctor diagnoses and provides a treatment plan.
date : October 7, 2008
comments : 0
Frequently it is possible to continue to train despite an injury, but it can be difficult to know what injuries you can safely train through and how to train without doing more harm.

date : April 1, 2008
Discussions on common types of overuse injuries in endurance athletes including treatment guidelines and prevention. Injuries include swimmer's shoulder, achilles tendonitis and more.
date : June 11, 2007
Now that I've alleviated the pain and injury, do you think it would be okay to start running on the street/sidewalk/hills again?

date : February 21, 2007
Here’s a review of three common injuries in triathletes and a brief review of what to do if you experience one of these injuries: Runner’s Knee, Achilles Tendonitis and Swimmers Shoulder.
date : December 18, 2006
It sounds like you have insertional Achilles tendonitis. This can be created simply by continuous use and higher mileage or by a minor injury such as missing a step.

date : May 30, 2005
comments : 2
A general stretching program should be an essential component of every endurance athlete’s warm-up prior to training or competition.