Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2015-12-05 12:25 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016

Started thinking about the end goal of the program, being faster on the bike, and realized it was a nebulous concept to me; I need something a little more real world. I didn’t really have a handle on what a given increase in power would do for me when I got to a race, so started looking on the web for some guidance. Found a pretty neat interactive site http://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html that allows you to plug in your weight, bike weight and other factors (which I left at their estimates) and get a nice chart that shows how much speed is generated at a given power level. So I plugged in my info and came up with the following chart:

I took that and captured the data in 10W increments from 150-220 and put it in a spreadsheet to allow me to calculate what race times would be at given power levels. Here’s what that looks like:

I’m thinking that after I get a well-established CP that can be extrapolated over different ride times (I doubt that I’ll get a good set of CP data for actual 112 mile rides prior to race day!) and couple that with a few practice runs on the actual race course with the topography it presents, it should be possible to get a good idea of what level of effort would be required to hit a target bike split. If nothing else, it certainly gets the thoughts going and may help me understand what I stand to gain if I can increase the power level I can hold by 20-30W between now and race day.

Does this look like something worthwhile to those of you more versed in Power use, or am I veering off the tracks here?

2015-12-05 4:07 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Oh good lord! Did the 20 minute test. I'm dead now... lol!

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2681404-20-Minute-Test

253 for the 20 minute average!
2015-12-05 4:58 PM

I have a power meter and use Garmin connect. How do I upload my data?
2015-12-05 5:40 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by Bradleykd Oh good lord! Did the 20 minute test. I'm dead now... lol! https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2681404-20-Minute-Test253 for the 20 minute average!
Way to go Brad - looks like you executed that test just like it was made for you with a bit of a push at the end.  Great start!

2015-12-05 5:41 PM
in reply to: SHTri

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by SHTri I have a power meter and use Garmin connect. How do I upload my data?
Dave - what are you trying to upload the data to?

2015-12-05 5:55 PM

How are you guys posting you graphs? Or is that fromTR?

2015-12-05 6:16 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by Donto

]To post a pix, its best to upload the picture to an photo hosting site or make an album on your photo album here on BT.  Then you copy the link of the picture and use the 'inset/edit image' tool on the message post toolbar (looks like small mountain scene icon next to the chain link icon).  When you select the icon the sub-window pops up and you paste the link into the Source line, also recommend to adjust the image dimensions to be no larger that 700 wide then tab over to the next input so that the image auto-scales the height.

I think you can also select the 'Attach a file after posting' at the bottom of a message post and it may display if its a jpg file, not 100% on that though.

Dave, see Don's post above.  He did confirm you can take and save a screenshot of the workout ad post using the "Attach a file after posting" method.

2015-12-05 7:04 PM

Also in regards to the testing I believe you are using the standard testing protocol outlined in Allen and Coggan Training and racing with power meter. I assume these tests are done tandem and not on separate days correct?
2015-12-05 8:50 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Originally posted by TTom

20 min test done, but not cleanly. A comedy of errors as it turns out.

As Don suggested, I targeted 200W for the 20'.  Ended up having to take a break at the 15' point (explanation follows) but got back on board at 16'.  Ended up with a 202W AP for the first 15' and 203W for the last 4 minutes.  Overall, the 20' segment came in at 195W.  Here's what the ugly thing looked like:

At somewhere around the 12 minute mark I started to get a squeaking sound from my rear wheel.  I'd decided to set a new standard for setup following Don's example and go to 110 psi and when I did I found I needed to actually crank the tension up a half turn to make sure that there was no slippage.  So, when I started hearing the sound, I thought I'd screwed it up and was getting slippage.  Over the next few minutes the volume and duration of the sound increased so it seemed slippage on the trainer shaft wasn't the issue, and I could not get it to correlate to anything in particular in terms of pedal position, etc., but it seemed that it took more effort to sustain the cadence.  I put that off to fatigue and at 15 minutes, the effort had gotten high enough that I had to back off for a minute.  I noticed when I did the periodicity of the sound also dropped, but the volume continued to increase.  Said screw it at minute 16 and cranked it back up determined to finish the test with some modicum of composure.  I have to admit to being somewhat worried it could be metal on metal somewhere but wasn't going to stop the test that far in!

So what was it?  For this challenge I'm using my Cervelo P2 Tri bike, doing all the work in Aero to make the power results track to race day.  The rear fork of the Cervelo where the wheel mounts uses a horizontal mount as opposed to a vertical mount.  Thus, the wheel slides on to the frame directly from the rear of the bike as opposed to from below it.

Apparently the combination of the increased tire pressure and the increased in tension, coupled with what apparently was not a tight enough skewer, pushed the wheel forward in the mount.  It seems that either the tire has more rubber in one section or the wheel is slightly out of true, with the result that one section of the tire was actually rubbing up against the frame on the vertical bar beneath the seat, increasing the effort required to maintain a given cadence - and causing the grating sound.  I don't think it would have any impact on the outcome of the test if I had kept going for the entire 20 minutes, so I'm going to just go with the 195W number for this period of the challenge.  Oh, and reposition the tire while tightening the snot out of the skewer.

Oh my! If I had to deal with a squeak, I would have lost it! I'd have to say I'm with you though, If the bike could still pedal, I would not stop at 16 minutes knowing I'd have to do it again!

Nice job!
2015-12-05 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

Originally posted by Bradleykd Oh good lord! Did the 20 minute test. I'm dead now... lol! https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2681404-20-Minute-Test253 for the 20 minute average!
Way to go Brad - looks like you executed that test just like it was made for you with a bit of a push at the end.  Great start!

Thanks! I had two issues where I had to stop pedaling (two low spots in the graph). Riding a trainer is a nightmare for me comfort wise. My feet were killing me today. All that fluctuation after the 5 minute test was messing with my shoes trying to get a comfortable tightness, then I couldn't bear it anymore and stopped pedaling once to loosen one foot, then a few minutes later for the next foot. lol.

I think I had foot trouble today from hiking around in the woods in the cold for a few hours this morning before my test. Maybe not the best plan, but I built this sweet berm on the MTB trail!

photo B650CE06-1D5E-4CE1-9593-A69A0B7C1B0F_zpsgvvyaye0.jpg
2015-12-05 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

Started thinking about the end goal of the program, being faster on the bike, and realized it was a nebulous concept to me; I need something a little more real world. I didn’t really have a handle on what a given increase in power would do for me when I got to a race, so started looking on the web for some guidance. Found a pretty neat interactive site http://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html that allows you to plug in your weight, bike weight and other factors (which I left at their estimates) and get a nice chart that shows how much speed is generated at a given power level. So I plugged in my info and came up with the following chart:

I took that and captured the data in 10W increments from 150-220 and put it in a spreadsheet to allow me to calculate what race times would be at given power levels. Here’s what that looks like:

I’m thinking that after I get a well-established CP that can be extrapolated over different ride times (I doubt that I’ll get a good set of CP data for actual 112 mile rides prior to race day!) and couple that with a few practice runs on the actual race course with the topography it presents, it should be possible to get a good idea of what level of effort would be required to hit a target bike split. If nothing else, it certainly gets the thoughts going and may help me understand what I stand to gain if I can increase the power level I can hold by 20-30W between now and race day.

Does this look like something worthwhile to those of you more versed in Power use, or am I veering off the tracks here?

So, to me, I wouldn't try to use power to hit a specific time on my bike split, but if I knew what percent of my CP I could hold for 5 or 6 hours, I would use that number and ride it no matter what the terrain was doing of how fast I was going.

Those charts would work perfect on a track, but with a real course there will be so many ups and downs that it would never equate the that speed for the power. Like you said though, you may be able to use it as a rough estimate.

2015-12-05 8:59 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Welcome Markus and Randy! Glad to have a couple of more on the spreadsheet!
2015-12-05 9:42 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by SHTri Also in regards to the testing I believe you are using the standard testing protocol outlined in Allen and Coggan Training and racing with power meter. I assume these tests are done tandem and not on separate days correct?
Dave, The BT plan uses Critical Power, the intent is to have 2 tests, 5' & 20' performed on separate days well rested The average power results of the 2 tests are used to compute CP.  If you want to use the FTP 20' test protocol that has the 5' and 20' portions together (as Bradley's post above shows) I guess that's fine but not the intent of CP testing. Read the plan's cover page where Coach Jorge talks about CP.

2015-12-05 9:50 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by SHTri I have a power meter and use Garmin connect. How do I upload my data?
Dave, I'm not familiar with GC.  If it can perform power analysis, take the 5' average and the 20' average numbers and input them into the Google spreadsheet to calc the CP.

Must of us are using a trainer program to perform the WO's.  I posted on page 1 the .mrc files for the phase 1 workouts if you need them.  I'm using MaximumTrainer and others are using Perfpro and TrainerRoad.  After the WO is completed I take a screenshot with the snipit tool and attach the file or link it from a photo hosting site.  Or you can jsut paste a link for others to view your WO as Brad did.

2015-12-06 12:23 AM

User image

, Washington

I did the 2x20 tempo ride today and am planning on the 20' min test on Monday.  Hopefully by end of next week I'll be caught up.

2015-12-06 12:29 AM

User image

, Washington

If you have a particular course in mind (ie: IM Vineman) you could check out BestBikeSplit.com.  It will give you times based on the course, power figures, target intensity factor (IF), etc.

2015-12-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: RandyP

User image

Cypress, Texas
Ok after a crazy busy week I finally targeted my 5 minute test. This is the first time I'm using a bike trainer and I'm trying to use Golden Cheetah. I'm not quite sure I have my setup where it needs to be as I was able to get to speeds I'm not able to hit on the roads. Also I got interrupted by my two little ones multiple times so I had to eventually abandon the test. Will try again either later tonight or tomorrow.

Any tips on how tight the wheel should sit against the trainer?

When I do a hand spin I get a little bit over 1 rotation on the tire, but then every spin by hand is not necessarily consistent with the previous one. I guess I have to play with it and adjust where it feels more like the real road and go from there.

Also my trainer isn't listed on any of the sites with a power curve (I have a Sunlite mag trainer). Do you guys think I can use the power curve from a different mag trainer or do they differ so much where I should just do the program based on heart rate and not power?

Thanks

Markus
2015-12-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: RandyP

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Randy, thanks for the BestBikeSplit link.  I plugged in current values for the Vineman IM based on the last round of testing then created a second "what if" scenario where the FTP had increased by 30W.  According to their algorithm, that would result in a time savings of 24 minutes on the bike, not inconsequential.  My starting point for this challenge is pretty low, so I'm hoping for some significant gains and 30W more would just put me to about where I was (based on the TR virtual  power) in mid training for the last time I raced there.  The key takeaway for me is the knowledge of a significant return on the next 15 weeks of pain investment I'll be seeing.  And the timing is right to segue from the challenge into the training for a race in July.  I just have to learn to love the trainer . . .

2015-12-06 11:45 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Randy, thanks for the BestBikeSplit link.  I plugged in current values for the Vineman IM based on the last round of testing then created a second "what if" scenario where the FTP had increased by 30W.  According to their algorithm, that would result in a time savings of 24 minutes on the bike, not inconsequential.  My starting point for this challenge is pretty low, so I'm hoping for some significant gains and 30W more would just put me to about where I was (based on the TR virtual  power) in mid training for the last time I raced there.  The key takeaway for me is the knowledge of a significant return on the next 15 weeks of pain investment I'll be seeing.  And the timing is right to segue from the challenge into the training for a race in July.  I just have to learn to love the trainer . . .

Gains of 10-20% have been noted in the past with this program.  IIRC, my best has been 17% increase.  in 2010 I did the program once then again for the last 8 weeks and set my then fastest time ever in a local 15.5 mile sprint and also had my fastest ever sprint (5k) post bike run.  You'll get a great foundation to build your endurance on top of for VM and no reason you can't continue to see gains in CP.

2015-12-06 11:54 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by johnthecat Ok after a crazy busy week I finally targeted my 5 minute test. This is the first time I'm using a bike trainer and I'm trying to use Golden Cheetah. I'm not quite sure I have my setup where it needs to be as I was able to get to speeds I'm not able to hit on the roads. Also I got interrupted by my two little ones multiple times so I had to eventually abandon the test. Will try again either later tonight or tomorrow. Any tips on how tight the wheel should sit against the trainer? When I do a hand spin I get a little bit over 1 rotation on the tire, but then every spin by hand is not necessarily consistent with the previous one. I guess I have to play with it and adjust where it feels more like the real road and go from there. Also my trainer isn't listed on any of the sites with a power curve (I have a Sunlite mag trainer). Do you guys think I can use the power curve from a different mag trainer or do they differ so much where I should just do the program based on heart rate and not power? Thanks Markus
Markus, I looked around and unfortunately there's is nothing for power for the Sunlite trainer, TR never got a reply either, bummer. I'd pick the middle of the road curve for one of the adjustable magnetic trainers and stick with a consistent setup for the tire tension that suits your needs.

2015-12-06 12:22 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

As I was finishing up the the 5x1m VO2 +15 min tempo workout today, I was thinking back to the 20 minute test and the problem I had with the tire rubbing on the frame.  Decided I better take a look to see if the new positioning was holding well (appears to be) and in the process looked at the tire to try and gauge how out of true it was.  The big surprise was how much wear there was on the portion of the tire that was rubbing.  The tire was fairly new and I had planned to ride both on the trainer and road with the bike over the coming months, so didn't switch over to a training tire.  Oops.  The portion of the tire shown on the right was not rubbing and you can still see the bead.  The portion shown on the left where it was rubbing, well, I guess I understand why it got progressively harder and louder:

I guess my lbs will be seeing me soon for a tire truing visit. 

2015-12-06 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by Donto

Dave, I'm not familiar with GC.  If it can perform power analysis, take the 5' average and the 20' average numbers and input them into the Google spreadsheet to calc the CP.

Must of us are using a trainer program to perform the WO's.  I posted on page 1 the .mrc files for the phase 1 workouts if you need them.  I'm using MaximumTrainer and others are using Perfpro and TrainerRoad.  After the WO is completed I take a screenshot with the snipit tool and attach the file or link it from a photo hosting site.  Or you can jsut paste a link for others to view your WO as Brad did.

Donto,
Which version of Max...Trainer are you using, free or paid? I see the free version lists a 15-min workout length.

Thanks
2015-12-07 2:03 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Sorry folks, another question or two.
I have an old trainer, no PM, so will have to use virtual power. I guess I will need a USB stick, sensor, and the power curve. I found the power curves in the trainer's manual... But how do you add that to the cycle software?
Where and what brand sensor and USB stick to get?
I need to be frugal, so free software is ... easiest. I could buy a one-time program if required, like perfpro.
Sorry if I am on wrong thread...
2015-12-07 5:33 AM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

As I was finishing up the the 5x1m VO2 +15 min tempo workout today, I was thinking back to the 20 minute test and the problem I had with the tire rubbing on the frame.  Decided I better take a look to see if the new positioning was holding well (appears to be) and in the process looked at the tire to try and gauge how out of true it was.  The big surprise was how much wear there was on the portion of the tire that was rubbing.  The tire was fairly new and I had planned to ride both on the trainer and road with the bike over the coming months, so didn't switch over to a training tire.  Oops.  The portion of the tire shown on the right was not rubbing and you can still see the bead.  The portion shown on the left where it was rubbing, well, I guess I understand why it got progressively harder and louder:

I guess my lbs will be seeing me soon for a tire truing visit. 

Hmm, looks like an out of round issue to me. I guess I was picturing the tire rubbing on the side, against the chain stay, when I read your last post. Now it looks like it was slipping on part of the rotation. Or it could be two different issues.

Also, that is a really expensive tire to be using on a trainer! I'd find you a cheapie! I have an old Cheng Shin wire bead tire that I'm using this year. I have two that came on a used bike I bought and put something worth riding on the road on. These make perfect trainer tires - cheap and a hard compound.
2015-12-07 7:20 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus Donto, Which version of Max...Trainer are you using, free or paid? I see the free version lists a 15-min workout length. Thanks

Paid version, bought the year for $49.99, you can also do 1/2yr and monthly.

Originally posted by triosaurus Sorry folks, another question or two. I have an old trainer, no PM, so will have to use virtual power. I guess I will need a USB stick, sensor, and the power curve. I found the power curves in the trainer's manual... But how do you add that to the cycle software? Where and what brand sensor and USB stick to get? I need to be frugal, so free software is ... easiest. I could buy a one-time program if required, like perfpro. Sorry if I am on wrong thread...
For free use Golden Cheetah.  A bit of a learning curve but I think there are some YouTube videos on setting it up and using it.

I bought the Suunto Mini USB dongle & Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor. If you want a cheaper speed only sensor Garmin also make a new one that mounts on the rear hub itself.  There may be some other brands also that I'm not familiar with.

Max of MT will add any power curve that he doesn't already have listed, same for TR.  GC also has a lot of listed trainers, not sure how quickly they can add a new one that is not listed.  If the trainer you have is one that is outsourced to several brands it may be as simple as selecting another brand.  Most of the big volume trainers are listed.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2015 - 2016 Pages: 1 2

Started by donw
Views: 10966 Posts: 34

2016-10-12 8:40 AM Lumber Dad

Plank a day challenge 2015 Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by ransick
Views: 23739 Posts: 211

2016-01-06 12:40 PM marysia83

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2014 - 2015 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 10646 Posts: 53

2015-03-31 8:32 PM donw

Winter Cycling Program (2012 - 2013) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by D001
Views: 15397 Posts: 61

2013-03-05 3:09 PM wheeledwidewebb

Winter Cycling Program 2012-2013?

Started by TriFlyBoy
Views: 2541 Posts: 6

2012-11-12 5:54 AM RVachon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.

date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?