General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ulna Collateral Ligament (UCL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-01 5:47 AM

User image

Westampton
Subject: Ulna Collateral Ligament (UCL)
Anybody had this injury? 7 weeks from my first Ironman and i was diagnosed with a torn/strained UCL. I hurt it about 12 months ago, rested and it seemed fine. now the last month i have had increasing elbow pain so went to the docs. Start PT this morning, but doc said there is a real chance that i may need surgery. not going to stop me doing Ironman, but just wondering about other peoples experiences.

2006-09-03 7:30 AM
in reply to: #528443

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ulna Collateral Ligament (UCL)
Are you a throwing athlete?  This is sthe typical Baseball pitchers injury.  Strict no throwing no tennis no golf.  I don't see any reason it should bother you biking or running.  You could proably get a neoprene sleve/brace for swimming.  Usually needs 3 months strict no throwing.  I'd rest it a good long time before jumping into surgery.....
2006-09-03 7:50 AM
in reply to: #529762

User image

Westampton
resting is not much of an option at the moment as my training is peaking for Ironman in 7 weeks. Aero position on the bike is a little uncomfortable. Did a sprint tri yesterday and was not too bad, although Tropical Storm Ernesto as interesting to say the least. surgery isthe last resort and i hope it does not happen and will do all i can to avoid that.
i do have a neoprene sleeve but have not tried swimming in it yet. will go to e gym and test that this week.
after Oct 21, i can rest.

Happy Sunday!
2006-09-10 5:25 AM
in reply to: #528443

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
Rest is good but not the end all. The ligament stabilizes your elbow so rest will let it calm down and feel better but once you perform an activity stressing the elbow it will be back. Hopefully it will heal without surgery. Until that fateful day comes you need to STRENGTHEN the muscles around the elbow, they will be your dynamic stability to comensate for lack of static stability. The wrist and finger flexors's origin reside over that area of your elbow so start wrist curls and gripping activities. Start light weights with high reps (the more weight you use the mor chance of getting a shift at the joint) and progress. We treat a couple of these a year, most don't need surgery-it's just a sprain- but if you need surgery it won't effect you too much. Get it at the start of your off season. If you do go under the knife drop me an email.
By the way, good luck in your race!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ulna Collateral Ligament (UCL) Rss Feed