BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-02-02 3:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed
Howdy pod! Y'all are a busy bunch. I'm usually not on the pc on the weekends and this week has started off crazy so I'm just now trying to catch up.

I hope you all are having a great week!

2016-02-02 4:35 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Jet Black

Howdy pod! Y'all are a busy bunch. I'm usually not on the pc on the weekends and this week has started off crazy so I'm just now trying to catch up.

No matter how crazy your work is - stay crazier!
2016-02-02 4:35 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Jet Black

No matter how crazy your work is - stay crazier!
2016-02-02 5:27 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Seattle

I was tracking down the trailer for the new film about Jenn Sheldon (probably my very favorite runner of all time)  and I stumbled across her running tips. They say "ultra-running" tips, but I think they are relevant to all running. Anyway, I think they are absolutely spot on and wanted to share: http://www.outsideonline.com/1975656/jenn-sheltons-ultimate-ultrarunning-tips

2016-02-02 6:12 PM
in reply to: #5157817

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Well, I tried to run again today. Still sharp pain above the knee cap. Thoughts? Go to the dr? Give it a few more days?
2016-02-02 6:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner Well, I tried to run again today. Still sharp pain above the knee cap. Thoughts? Go to the dr? Give it a few more days?

Yikes!  When I hear "sharp" pain I think get to a doctor! Hopefully, it's just bruised, but I'd get it checked out!

2016-02-02 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Phew alright, got all my ducks in a row finally. Registered for all of my races (at least everything that is open)

Nabbed a charity spot for my marathon. Ironically I was out running and missed my registration reminder and it sold out. I think it will be cool to run for a reason other than myself though, so the "price to pay" so to speak was worth it in a couple ways. 

It's going to be an interesting shuffle, training for and then running a "fast" marathon, summiting a mountain 2 weeks later, running an ultra three weeks after that. It might sound kind of out there but I think so long as I take care of myself, it should all play nicely together. 

That's quite the line up you have!  With all your other crazy running adventures, I;m sure you'll be fine!

2016-02-02 6:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner Well, I tried to run again today. Still sharp pain above the knee cap. Thoughts? Go to the dr? Give it a few more days?

Yikes!  When I hear "sharp" pain I think get to a doctor! Hopefully, it's just bruised, but I'd get it checked out!

Yea, when it comes to the knee, I would ask for doctor's opinion. I'm sorry you have to deal with this :/
2016-02-02 6:56 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I was tracking down the trailer for the new film about Jenn Sheldon (probably my very favorite runner of all time)  and I stumbled across her running tips. They say "ultra-running" tips, but I think they are relevant to all running. Anyway, I think they are absolutely spot on and wanted to share: http://www.outsideonline.com/1975656/jenn-sheltons-ultimate-ultrarunning-tips

Interesting, thank you for sharing. I like stomach adjustment part the most.
2016-02-02 7:09 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by marysia83

I really like, "The more you try to force your plan on the race, the harder the race will fight back with a plan of its own. So embrace the sh*t show and you’ll have a lot more fun out there, waste less energy fighting lost battles, and run faster.  

I also think its really important how she addressed taking care of yourself out there and not slipping into the helplessness. That really is a thing, and I imagine much more so with things like ironman and the longer, mentally exhausting events. 

2016-02-02 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I really like, "The more you try to force your plan on the race, the harder the race will fight back with a plan of its own. So embrace the sh*t show and you’ll have a lot more fun out there, waste less energy fighting lost battles, and run faster.  

I also think its really important how she addressed taking care of yourself out there and not slipping into the helplessness. That really is a thing, and I imagine much more so with things like ironman and the longer, mentally exhausting events. 

thanks for sharing!

2016-02-02 7:28 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Speaking of things in the media, NPR did a short segment today about the death of Jack Johnstone, one of the founders of triathlon.
http://www.npr.org/2016/02/02/465321566/jack-johnstone-creator-of-t...

I'm sure this has probably popped up in some forum on here, but just in case you all hadn't heard it.
2016-02-02 7:44 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Expert
Thank you for your well wishes. Things are moving quickly and it does not help that we really didn't plan this. I spent tonight meeting with a contractor and a plumber, for my Dad's room.
My Dad is really excited now, and wants to move. Listening on my nightly call, I can hear why. She had an extreme drop in cognitive ability in the last few weeks or at least it is the fastest we have noticed a drop.
I would not wish this disease on anyone.
2016-02-02 9:37 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by awm007

Speaking of things in the media, NPR did a short segment today about the death of Jack Johnstone, one of the founders of triathlon.
http://www.npr.org/2016/02/02/465321566/jack-johnstone-creator-of-t...

I'm sure this has probably popped up in some forum on here, but just in case you all hadn't heard it.

Yes! I listened to it on my way from work I thought: this is the sign! I gotta train seriously...
2016-02-02 9:38 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by JBacarella

Thank you for your well wishes. Things are moving quickly and it does not help that we really didn't plan this. I spent tonight meeting with a contractor and a plumber, for my Dad's room.
My Dad is really excited now, and wants to move. Listening on my nightly call, I can hear why. She had an extreme drop in cognitive ability in the last few weeks or at least it is the fastest we have noticed a drop.
I would not wish this disease on anyone.

It sounds so overwhelming.. I hope you'll have at least a little bit of rest soon. Stay strong!!
2016-02-03 2:46 AM

User image

Used a training video on the turbo last night and must say it made it a lot easier to stay focused and gave me a proper work out, my legs were like jelly when I got off! Really enjoyed it and will definitely be using that from now on!

2016-02-03 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice article! Thanks for sharing!

2016-02-03 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yea, when it comes to the knee, I would ask for doctor's opinion. I'm sorry you have to deal with this :/

I slept with compression on it last night and it seems to feel better today (could be wishful thinking). I was thinking about it last night, I have a purple bruise on my hip the size of my palm, there is probably a similar injury on my knee. I'll give it time and test it in a few days.  Meanwhile, I wonder if riding on the trainer would irritate it.

2016-02-03 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

I slept with compression on it last night and it seems to feel better today (could be wishful thinking). I was thinking about it last night, I have a purple bruise on my hip the size of my palm, there is probably a similar injury on my knee. I'll give it time and test it in a few days.  Meanwhile, I wonder if riding on the trainer would irritate it.

I was thinking about your knee this morning.  I'm glad to hear that it is a bit better today.

First off, I'm not sure what you mean by sharp pain.  Only you can judge that.  It sounds like it is not bothering you with day-to-day activity but it is bothering you a lot when you run.  Have you tried arnica gel?  Ice packs?  Foam rolling?

2016-02-03 9:25 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

I was thinking about your knee this morning.  I'm glad to hear that it is a bit better today.

First off, I'm not sure what you mean by sharp pain.  Only you can judge that.  It sounds like it is not bothering you with day-to-day activity but it is bothering you a lot when you run.  Have you tried arnica gel?  Ice packs?  Foam rolling?

Ice? yes. I'm not familiar with arnica gel but a google search shows that it's for pain. As you mentioned, the knee isn't bothering me except when I run, and a bit when I go up steps. So I'm not sure that would help unless it also has anti-inflammatory properties (using Advil for that now). As for foam rolling, I haven't been so that I don't put pressure on the knee.

Funny, when I fell the left knee seemed to have been impacted worse but it's the right knee with the lingering issue

2016-02-03 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ice? yes. I'm not familiar with arnica gel but a google search shows that it's for pain. As you mentioned, the knee isn't bothering me except when I run, and a bit when I go up steps. So I'm not sure that would help unless it also has anti-inflammatory properties (using Advil for that now). As for foam rolling, I haven't been so that I don't put pressure on the knee.

Funny, when I fell the left knee seemed to have been impacted worse but it's the right knee with the lingering issue

Yes, Arnica gel is an anti-inflammatory.  You can get it at Wally World.

Re: foam rolling, I would do around the knee, not the knee itself.  Some of the surrounding muscles -- hamstring/quad -- might be trying to protect the knee and could be tight and angry.  I would not foam roll "the spot" itself.

2016-02-03 10:42 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Re: foam rolling, I would do around the knee, not the knee itself.  Some of the surrounding muscles -- hamstring/quad -- might be trying to protect the knee and could be tight and angry.  I would not foam roll "the spot" itself.

Mmmmm good points. I'm headed for a consult with the periodontist later, maybe I'll hit walgreens and see if I can find some.

The legs always feel immensely better after foam rolling, like it releases everything. Maybe it will help.

2016-02-03 10:51 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Mmmmm good points. I'm headed for a consult with the periodontist later, maybe I'll hit walgreens and see if I can find some.

The legs always feel immensely better after foam rolling, like it releases everything. Maybe it will help.

I absolutely love arnica gel! You can get it in Walgreens. It helped me with muscle pain in multiple spots (calves, back, arms, etc), I also used it for my kids when they had really bad bruises. I hope your knee heals quickly. Keep us posted on the doctor's visit!
2016-02-03 10:52 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I am trying to make my 2016 Movies list. What is your absolutely must-watch movie?
2016-02-03 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Thanks for sharing, that was a great read! I tell myself since I'm just building my running (20 minute long run tomorrow!) I'm in the unique position of getting to build from the ground up with great habits. I love the one about being Autonomous!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 890 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.