BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-02-03 11:35 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed
Originally posted by marysia83

I am trying to make my 2016 Movies list. What is your absolutely must-watch movie?

Are we talking movies coming out in 2016 to watch in the theater? Or movies that are already out that are great for watching on the trainer/treadmill/couch?

2016-02-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by rrrunner

Well, I tried to run again today. Still sharp pain above the knee cap. Thoughts? Go to the dr? Give it a few more days?

A lot of Physical Therapy places have free screens you can get an appointment for. They can give you some advice if you should see a doctor or just try and do some exercises.
2016-02-03 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 I am trying to make my 2016 Movies list. What is your absolutely must-watch movie?

I don't have a favorite must see type movie but I'd like to recommend Chef.  I really enjoyed it.  It's on Neflix now.

http://www.netflix.com/search/chef?jbv=70297087&jbp=1&jbr=0

2016-02-03 2:23 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Atlantia

I am trying to make my 2016 Movies list. What is your absolutely must-watch movie?

Are we talking movies coming out in 2016 to watch in the theater? Or movies that are already out that are great for watching on the trainer/treadmill/couch?

The one you've seen. The 2016 only indicates the year I plan to watch it
2016-02-03 2:49 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Advice needed. My co-worker has a knee surgery tomorrow. He had a really, reallyyyy bad accident while skiing couple of months ago. It seems pretty serious based on what he described. He is a long distance runner, he has done plenty marathons, halfs, and ultras (and short ones too). I am thinking about getting him a little gift, something running related. The problem is, we are not a close co-worker, we just say “hi” to each other and have a quick conversation at the coffee machine once in a while, but once I discovered he is into running (with such a baggage of experience!) I felt this solidarity and need for “runners’ support”. Any ideas of a simple and neat “get well soon” gift?
2016-02-03 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Advice needed. My co-worker has a knee surgery tomorrow. He had a really, reallyyyy bad accident while skiing couple of months ago. It seems pretty serious based on what he described. He is a long distance runner, he has done plenty marathons, halfs, and ultras (and short ones too). I am thinking about getting him a little gift, something running related. The problem is, we are not a close co-worker, we just say “hi” to each other and have a quick conversation at the coffee machine once in a while, but once I discovered he is into running (with such a baggage of experience!) I felt this solidarity and need for “runners’ support”. Any ideas of a simple and neat “get well soon” gift?

It isn't actually running related at all, so maybe not the direction you're thinking, but what about something to help him be occupied while he recuperates? When I was recovering from a car accident, the best gift I got was a subscription to audible. The pain medication I was on made it really tough to look at screens or read, so listening to audio books while it bed kept me from going stir-crazy.

2016-02-03 7:04 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Munich, Bayern
Originally posted by Atlantia

It isn't actually running related at all, so maybe not the direction you're thinking, but what about something to help him be occupied while he recuperates? When I was recovering from a car accident, the best gift I got was a subscription to audible. The pain medication I was on made it really tough to look at screens or read, so listening to audio books while it bed kept me from going stir-crazy.
I have to catch up a little bit, but Audible sounds like a great idea, there are plenty of runner books. I love Born to run! I read it once every year. :-D (And I checked it, it is on audible).
2016-02-03 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner Well, I tried to run again today. Still sharp pain above the knee cap. Thoughts? Go to the dr? Give it a few more days?

Yikes!  When I hear "sharp" pain I think get to a doctor! Hopefully, it's just bruised, but I'd get it checked out!

Yea, when it comes to the knee, I would ask for doctor's opinion. I'm sorry you have to deal with this :/

I slept with compression on it last night and it seems to feel better today (could be wishful thinking). I was thinking about it last night, I have a purple bruise on my hip the size of my palm, there is probably a similar injury on my knee. I'll give it time and test it in a few days.  Meanwhile, I wonder if riding on the trainer would irritate it.

I was thinking about your knee this morning.  I'm glad to hear that it is a bit better today.

First off, I'm not sure what you mean by sharp pain.  Only you can judge that.  It sounds like it is not bothering you with day-to-day activity but it is bothering you a lot when you run.  Have you tried arnica gel?  Ice packs?  Foam rolling?

Ice? yes. I'm not familiar with arnica gel but a google search shows that it's for pain. As you mentioned, the knee isn't bothering me except when I run, and a bit when I go up steps. So I'm not sure that would help unless it also has anti-inflammatory properties (using Advil for that now). As for foam rolling, I haven't been so that I don't put pressure on the knee.

Funny, when I fell the left knee seemed to have been impacted worse but it's the right knee with the lingering issue

Yes, Arnica gel is an anti-inflammatory.  You can get it at Wally World.

Re: foam rolling, I would do around the knee, not the knee itself.  Some of the surrounding muscles -- hamstring/quad -- might be trying to protect the knee and could be tight and angry.  I would not foam roll "the spot" itself.

Mmmmm good points. I'm headed for a consult with the periodontist later, maybe I'll hit walgreens and see if I can find some.

The legs always feel immensely better after foam rolling, like it releases everything. Maybe it will help.

I absolutely love arnica gel! You can get it in Walgreens. It helped me with muscle pain in multiple spots (calves, back, arms, etc), I also used it for my kids when they had really bad bruises. I hope your knee heals quickly. Keep us posted on the doctor's visit!
Yep Arnica is great for bringing out and healing bruises, but you want to avoid putting it on open wounds.
2016-02-03 8:35 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I was tracking down the trailer for the new film about Jenn Sheldon (probably my very favorite runner of all time)  and I stumbled across her running tips. They say "ultra-running" tips, but I think they are relevant to all running. Anyway, I think they are absolutely spot on and wanted to share: http://www.outsideonline.com/1975656/jenn-sheltons-ultimate-ultrarunning-tips

Interesting, thank you for sharing. I like stomach adjustment part the most.

I really like, "The more you try to force your plan on the race, the harder the race will fight back with a plan of its own. So embrace the sh*t show and you’ll have a lot more fun out there, waste less energy fighting lost battles, and run faster.  

I also think its really important how she addressed taking care of yourself out there and not slipping into the helplessness. That really is a thing, and I imagine much more so with things like ironman and the longer, mentally exhausting events. 

Finally got to read this. Good stuff. As for the fueling, I used pbh sandwiches and m&m's to fuel my 20 mile long run. I plan to continue to use the foods that will be on course.
2016-02-03 9:50 PM

User image

Master
2016-02-04 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by IronOx

Melanie: http://www.impactmagazine.ca/food-a-nutrition/1496-kitchen-skills-flavour-skills

Winter Warmth Soup at the bottom of the page

Thanks!  Ooooh, coconut oil, maple syrup, root veggies...mmmm...  can't wait to try it!  I may have to go back to market this weekend or maybe next!  SuperBowl soup!

Edited by melbo55 2016-02-04 9:34 AM

2016-02-04 9:44 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Ahhhh.. you all make it tough to keep up.

I have a big old sinus infection that has kicked my butt. One day up, two days down. I am on meds so it should be more up than down from here on out. I am behind on my training (nothing unusual there). I am heading on a two week vacation as of Saturday early and I will be un-connected for the duration. The good news is it is in a warm place and I have access to a gym so I'll be able to train at my leisure.

2016-02-04 9:56 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

DH had knee surgery twice and all he did was watch movies. Maybe a netflix GC and a movie guide or some neat magazine like that?

2016-02-04 10:14 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TJ, how's it going today?

2016-02-04 10:34 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

I have a big old sinus infection that has kicked my butt. One day up, two days down. I am on meds so it should be more up than down from here on out. I am behind on my training (nothing unusual there). I am heading on a two week vacation as of Saturday early and I will be un-connected for the duration. The good news is it is in a warm place and I have access to a gym so I'll be able to train at my leisure.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who's sick. I've had a stomach bug for the past couple of days, but it's getting better. Hopefully I'll be back at school tomorrow to see what I've missed.
2016-02-04 11:03 AM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by CRFTX2001

Originally posted by ceilidh

Don't worry, you're not the only one who's sick. I've had a stomach bug for the past couple of days, but it's getting better. Hopefully I'll be back at school tomorrow to see what I've missed.

Sorry guys you have to go through this :/ I hope you feel better soon!

2016-02-04 11:04 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

DH had knee surgery twice and all he did was watch movies. Maybe a netflix GC and a movie guide or some neat magazine like that?

Thanks for your suggestions! My other co-worker, and also a great friends, are trying to come up with something together, since she knows him for a long time He's for a surgery today. He stays so positive - he's already planning another skiing trip...
2016-02-04 11:06 AM
in reply to: #5157817

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I has sadness

I'm in Taos for a meeting and the sheriff knows I like to run when I'm here. He asked which trail I'm running today
2016-02-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by IronOx

Melanie: http://www.impactmagazine.ca/food-a-nutrition/1496-kitchen-skills-flavour-skills

Winter Warmth Soup at the bottom of the page

Thanks!  Ooooh, coconut oil, maple syrup, root veggies...mmmm...  can't wait to try it!  I may have to go back to market this weekend or maybe next!  SuperBowl soup!

This looks soooo yummy!!
2016-02-04 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner I has sadness I'm in Taos for a meeting and the sheriff knows I like to run when I'm here. He asked which trail I'm running today

That is sad!  Any improvement?

2016-02-04 11:18 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by marysia83 Advice needed. My co-worker has a knee surgery tomorrow. He had a really, reallyyyy bad accident while skiing couple of months ago. It seems pretty serious based on what he described. He is a long distance runner, he has done plenty marathons, halfs, and ultras (and short ones too). I am thinking about getting him a little gift, something running related. The problem is, we are not a close co-worker, we just say “hi” to each other and have a quick conversation at the coffee machine once in a while, but once I discovered he is into running (with such a baggage of experience!) I felt this solidarity and need for “runners’ support”. Any ideas of a simple and neat “get well soon” gift?
Thanks for your suggestions! My other co-worker, and also a great friends, are trying to come up with something together, since she knows him for a long time He's for a surgery today. He stays so positive - he's already planning another skiing trip...

I've tended to just tag a lot of movies in Netflix as they come into theater. Saving for when released to DVD. Then It'll jump in the queue as each is released. As they move up the queue, they might also become available for streaming. In which case a "play" icon will show up and I may watch it sooner that way.

2016-02-04 11:26 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner I has sadness I'm in Taos for a meeting and the sheriff knows I like to run when I'm here. He asked which trail I'm running today

That is sad!  Any improvement?

Ugh, bummer. Yeah, how is it coming along?

Injuries are hard. Is it too painful to run on it at all? Does running aggravate it? 

2016-02-04 11:44 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I has sadness

I'm in Taos for a meeting and the sheriff knows I like to run when I'm here. He asked which trail I'm running today

2016-02-04 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Uh oh.  I take it that means no improvement?  Time to bite the bullet and go and see someone about it?

2016-02-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

OK, people!  Enough with folks on the DL!  It is bad when we have more people on the Injured list than the Racers list!  Enough with the illnesses and injuries, m'kay?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 884 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.