BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-09-30 8:30 PM
in reply to: #5199961

User image

, California
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Got a good 1600m in the pool after work today including 5x200 hard intervals.

On pace for my first six-workout week since restarting training. Between kids school, work commitments, and sickness I just couldn't get any great consistency the last month. But made it thru the work week keeping my schedule and the weekends are easy for me so I'm sure the goal will be met.

Have a great weekend all.

-Matt

2016-10-01 7:07 AM
in reply to: #5200435

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
First day of HM base building--2.25mi at o'dark thirty. It was great and my quad held up just fine. Pup isn't limping anymore, but we're still taking her to the vet this morning. She has started licking her paws raw, to the point of bleeding. I think it is probably allergies, but just want to make sure my buddy is okay.

Masters long swim workout in about an hour! Will probably get somewhere around 3000yds in. A great start to October!

Good luck today Nicole!!!
2016-10-01 1:53 PM
in reply to: #5200451

User image

, Vermont
Good luck today, Nicole! I hope your race fairs better than IMMD! Their swim was cancelled and the bike portion reduced to 100 miles due to 6" of water on a 1 mile section of the bike course. I know a few people down there racing right now, have been tracking them. One guy is already over half done his run. He did the bike in just over 4.5 hours.
Can't wait to hear how your race fairs, Nicole!

Gretchen, glad to hear the quad is holding up, that's great!! I hope your pup is okay!
2016-10-01 2:47 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Smacked in the face by poor planning this morning. I forgot to charge my dog's light up harness, so when I went to run this morning, we couldn't. We had to wait for the sun to rise properly, so planned three miles was cut to two. It wasn't what I wanted, but at least it is something.

I don't think I've ever seen one of these - very cool!!
2016-10-01 2:56 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
No posting for me as I still can't do anything....my sanity is in question.. watching my fitness slowly slip away.
Technically I could swim with a pull buoy only, do some core work, and upper body strength training.... but after not much of the latter two since last spring it's hard to get back into that. I was hoping for a late fall marathon for the experience (I've never run a full before - yes, IMMT would have been my first) but things are not healing quite as quickly as hoped for.

Lots of flight instructing and now I'm also teaching a 6 credit class at the college this semester (though getting paid for 3...ah, the life of an adjunct...) hmmmm, so my "free time" is non existent this fall. Funny how annoying it is to be getting up at 5:30 every morning when it doesn't involve a workout!!
I have been keeping up with everyone's posts but just haven't had anything to post myself but also wanted to let you know that folks are still out here reading even if we aren't posting!

Continue to crush it, folks! I'm living vicariously through you until I get my leg back!
2016-10-01 5:41 PM
in reply to: #5200465

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks everyone! I will post more later, but the race went really well! I got 1st in my age group, 4th overall (17th including the men!). The rain held off luckily, but the water was FREEZING! Full report to come on Monday!

2016-10-02 8:06 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Thanks everyone! I will post more later, but the race went really well! I got 1st in my age group, 4th overall (17th including the men!). The rain held off luckily, but the water was FREEZING! Full report to come on Monday!

Wow...that's awesome.  I was thinking of you yesterday as I walked out of the Towson Merritt and it was pouring.

2016-10-02 8:59 PM
in reply to: #5200484

User image

, Vermont
Great job, Nicole!!!!! Awesome!!
2016-10-03 8:09 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole--we're going to have to assess CLP for no timely race report! I want the dirty details!

Speaking of CLP reminded me of yesterday's swim club meeting (about finances!--fun!). I arrived and am offered a beer by the host, so of course I say yes. He didn't ask me what kind or anything--bad sign. He comes back with a Bud Light. I could have gagged. Of course, he has already uncapped it, so I have to take it and drink it. For crying out loud, there wasn't even a potted plant around anywhere! Gross. Who offers Bud Light without warning people?!?!? At least I'm fairly warned for the club Christmas party.

This morning was 2600m in the pool with the masters team. Later today I'm out for run #2 in HM base--a whopping 1.5 miles. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, especially since my running in August and September has been really lackluster. But seriously, 1.5 miles feels like it is a waste of time getting my gear on. The dog agrees too!
2016-10-03 8:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nicole--we're going to have to assess CLP for no timely race report! I want the dirty details!

Speaking of CLP reminded me of yesterday's swim club meeting (about finances!--fun!). I arrived and am offered a beer by the host, so of course I say yes. He didn't ask me what kind or anything--bad sign. He comes back with a Bud Light. I could have gagged. Of course, he has already uncapped it, so I have to take it and drink it. For crying out loud, there wasn't even a potted plant around anywhere! Gross. Who offers Bud Light without warning people?!?!? At least I'm fairly warned for the club Christmas party.

This morning was 2600m in the pool with the masters team. Later today I'm out for run #2 in HM base--a whopping 1.5 miles. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, especially since my running in August and September has been really lackluster. But seriously, 1.5 miles feels like it is a waste of time getting my gear on. The dog agrees too!

Working on it now!

As for the Bud Light...at least it wasn't warm? haha
2016-10-03 9:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

2016-10-03 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nicole--we're going to have to assess CLP for no timely race report! I want the dirty details! Speaking of CLP reminded me of yesterday's swim club meeting (about finances!--fun!). I arrived and am offered a beer by the host, so of course I say yes. He didn't ask me what kind or anything--bad sign. He comes back with a Bud Light. I could have gagged. Of course, he has already uncapped it, so I have to take it and drink it. For crying out loud, there wasn't even a potted plant around anywhere! Gross. Who offers Bud Light without warning people?!?!? At least I'm fairly warned for the club Christmas party. This morning was 2600m in the pool with the masters team. Later today I'm out for run #2 in HM base--a whopping 1.5 miles. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, especially since my running in August and September has been really lackluster. But seriously, 1.5 miles feels like it is a waste of time getting my gear on. The dog agrees too!

For all of those short runs where you're just trying to add frequency, I would just add them to an existing workout.  For instance, I used to run home a little over a mile from my Masters swim practice, or I'd run 1-2 miles after a trainer ride, stuff like that.

I agree just getting out there for 20 minutes seems silly, but those little runs go a long ways to prevent injury.

2016-10-03 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=284... <-- race report. I think this link should work.

Link didn't quite work right (it made me log in, which screwed it up) but I found it. 

2016-10-03 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=284... <-- race report. I think this link should work.

Link didn't quite work right (it made me log in, which screwed it up) but I found it. 

Maybe this will work better? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by nicole14e 2016-10-03 1:56 PM
2016-10-03 8:58 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Nicole, great job on the race. I'm very jealous of the 1st place AG win. I'm especially blown away given that you've been out of racing for a while. I came back from about the same amount of time off and have had average-at-best outings. So I'm very impressed! It sounds like the swim was a monster, though. If you do any more races with the wetsuit, trying putting a ton of body glide all over your ankles, it'll help the suit slip off a little bit easier.

And now that late race reports earn a CLP, I got my own written up from two weeks ago: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=543979

2016-10-04 5:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=284... didn't quite work right (it made me log in, which screwed it up) but I found it. 

Maybe this will work better? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

That worked.

2016-10-04 5:36 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Oh, almost forgot.  Dave and Jenn, aren't you glad you didn't try to race IM Maryland this past weekend?  Sounds like that was a mess.

2016-10-04 8:32 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Nicole, great job on the race. I'm very jealous of the 1st place AG win. I'm especially blown away given that you've been out of racing for a while. I came back from about the same amount of time off and have had average-at-best outings. So I'm very impressed! It sounds like the swim was a monster, though. If you do any more races with the wetsuit, trying putting a ton of body glide all over your ankles, it'll help the suit slip off a little bit easier.

And now that late race reports earn a CLP, I got my own written up from two weeks ago: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=543979

Thanks for the body glide advice!! I will definitely be purchasing some body glide for next season!
2016-10-04 8:37 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Also, great race report! I bet seeing your time for the bike was nice since it felt slower. That point to point swim sounds nice too, other than the rocks.
2016-10-04 11:21 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short run plus yoga and strength stuff today. First day of ST since June or so. This is gonna hurt tomorrow!
2016-10-04 11:40 AM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Thanks for the body glide advice!! I will definitely be purchasing some body glide for next season!

I've also heard that cutting the bottom few inches off the legs makes a huge difference, but I haven't been able to work up the nerve to do that kind of damage to my suit.

2016-10-04 11:44 AM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Also, great race report! I bet seeing your time for the bike was nice since it felt slower. That point to point swim sounds nice too, other than the rocks.

The best part about the swim was that it paralleled a bridge across the mouth of the inlet - made sighting a breeze with each breath to the left.

2016-10-05 7:37 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Masters swim this morning and a short run scheduled for this afternoon.

Where does everyone buy their shoes? I loathe our local running store. The owner is a major jerk. Every time I go in there, he 1.) questions whether I run, 2.) tells me I don't know what I'm talking about (concerning my own feet and how they feel in shoes), and 3.) ignores me when I tell him what size shoe I wear (I wear mens 11EE, he always brings me womens shoes to try on in 10E). It has been a couple of years since I went there because of this, but Monday I decided to give them a last chance because I was desperate for a new pair of running shoes and didn't want to drive an hour to the next closest LRS. All the same crap! So, I'm looking for new options. I did buy a pair of shoes (they were super on sale and I'm desperate), but only one pair. I went in with the intention to buy two. I ordered a second pair off Amazon. Currently rocking Brooks Ghost 9 and will be getting a pair of Brooks Glycerin 14s in the mail soon. Plan is to alternate them during my HM training.
2016-10-05 8:35 AM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by drfoodlove Masters swim this morning and a short run scheduled for this afternoon. Where does everyone buy their shoes? I loathe our local running store. The owner is a major jerk. Every time I go in there, he 1.) questions whether I run, 2.) tells me I don't know what I'm talking about (concerning my own feet and how they feel in shoes), and 3.) ignores me when I tell him what size shoe I wear (I wear mens 11EE, he always brings me womens shoes to try on in 10E). It has been a couple of years since I went there because of this, but Monday I decided to give them a last chance because I was desperate for a new pair of running shoes and didn't want to drive an hour to the next closest LRS. All the same crap! So, I'm looking for new options. I did buy a pair of shoes (they were super on sale and I'm desperate), but only one pair. I went in with the intention to buy two. I ordered a second pair off Amazon. Currently rocking Brooks Ghost 9 and will be getting a pair of Brooks Glycerin 14s in the mail soon. Plan is to alternate them during my HM training.

I buy almost all my shoes on Zappos. Free shipping in both directions, so I will usually get a couple of different sizes or styles, try them on at home, and return what I don't like. And I've been buying from them long enough that most orders I get a free upgrade to 2-day shipping. As long as you don't need help from a salesperson, it works great.

2016-10-05 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Masters swim this morning and a short run scheduled for this afternoon. Where does everyone buy their shoes? I loathe our local running store. The owner is a major jerk. Every time I go in there, he 1.) questions whether I run, 2.) tells me I don't know what I'm talking about (concerning my own feet and how they feel in shoes), and 3.) ignores me when I tell him what size shoe I wear (I wear mens 11EE, he always brings me womens shoes to try on in 10E). It has been a couple of years since I went there because of this, but Monday I decided to give them a last chance because I was desperate for a new pair of running shoes and didn't want to drive an hour to the next closest LRS. All the same crap! So, I'm looking for new options. I did buy a pair of shoes (they were super on sale and I'm desperate), but only one pair. I went in with the intention to buy two. I ordered a second pair off Amazon. Currently rocking Brooks Ghost 9 and will be getting a pair of Brooks Glycerin 14s in the mail soon. Plan is to alternate them during my HM training.

I use Road Runner Sports for the most part and have been since before the internet (mail order catalog), they even have a local shop here in Maryland, though it's like a 40 minute drive for me.  I've been wearing more-or-less the same New Balance model for like 10 years so it's easy to re-order.  I just hate paying for the damn things - mine are like $120/pair even on sale.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6402 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17616 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.