BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-01-01 9:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Forgot to mention my (January) goals. I love that Thor is bringing back the s/b/r challenge - my favorite and I will try!

Really I want to "work out", do something, 6 days/week. What I mean by this is PT, weights, pilates, yoga, whatever, walk the dog around the block; I want to "do" something at least 6 days a week. My husband says I'm setting myself up for failure but I reminded him I'm supposed to do PT every day anyway, I should walk the dog every day, etc so really it should be a very reasonable thing to accomplish. Today I pulled out an old Windsor Pilates video I haven't done in forever and did that for 20 minutes. Mission accomplished. Was it as much as I wanted to do? No, but I did something and from those somethings, bigger somethings will develop. It's New Year's Day so I'll take it!

Happy New Years everyone! You are on the road to a healthier year! Log on often and we can all support each other's goals!

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-01-01 9:34 PM

2016-01-01 9:42 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
I'm in for the January 24 workouts challenge.....

#1 - 1/1/16 30 min treadmill run - roughly 2.7 miles
2016-01-01 9:51 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Extreme Veteran
Can we make Jan 24 challenge an open challenge not limited to S B R? To give a little more flexibility as we ramp up?
2016-01-02 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Qua17

Bert - So glad to have you! Love the international flavor this group is taking on!

So what cases are you working on in the garage?

When my friends from Belgium come over they usually bring me few cases. Most of it is Stella Artois then I have some Duvel, Duvel IPA, Duvel triple hop, Lindemans kriek, Vedett. no micro-brewery stuff
2016-01-02 1:07 AM
in reply to: bertjeivens

A little history about my training/injuries or skip and just check my goals below:
In 2011 one year after arriving in France I decided with a friend to do a mountainous trail run 32km/2500m climb. I havent done any sports for 10 years accept the occasional ski-trip. The same week I luxated my peroneal tendon (beer and liqour was involved) on 30th december (sylvester was no fun). So my plan to start training january 1st was down the drain.
Finally started end of march and tried to go too fast, my knee told me to slow down. I the end I finished the race dead last mid july. And felt very good afterwards no soreness of the muscles which surprised me.

The next year I wanted to do the race again to finish better but the knee pain came back and was more stubborn. Finally after some time I found out I was waring the wrong kind of running shoes. I finished the race again not dead last but not far from it. Since then I have been very prone to injury mostly on the knees because I always feel I can run much further then my knees allow, I'm not out of breath, my muscles feel fine, but still I have to shorten the distances to not force my knees and I find it very difficult to find the limit.

In September I started running again but followed a "faster 5k" program which was working just fine for me, no pain whatsoever. But then one day I was carrying my daughter down the stairs and made some sort of wrong movement (have no idea what) and hurt my foot badly, could barely stand on it. 2 days later it didnt hurt at all annymore but since then the pain comes back from time to time just lasting a few hours. So I will see the orthopedist on Jan 11th.

I started swimming the summer of 2015 with my colleague (who was a competition swimmer) and couldnt do 25m freestyle
He got me on the way and now during my trainings I do between 700m and 1300m twice a week.

My goals for 2016
1) train injury free
2) main event: evergreen endurance 58 sept 11th https://www.evergreen-endurance.com/en/races/evergreen-58/
3) do each sport twice a week after the ok from the doc

Next week I will be in Belgium for my brother-in-laws mariage with the whole family so not much training. I dont know if i can be online so if you dont see me between the 4th and 11th its normal.

I will skip this SBR challenge but I will see for February.
2016-01-02 1:37 AM

User image

A bottle of commemorative ale was the prize for all finishers in the traditional 2mile fun run from a local pub. An interesting, and extremely muddy new years day run. A great start to 2016

2016-01-02 1:41 AM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Well how about that...the most active forum in 2015 starts off with a bang in 2016. Who'd have thunk it?

2016 Goals

Last year was all about slaying my white whale of a race. This was a culmination of many years of desire and I finally did it. This year I'd like to:
- Drop 25 lbs and compete in my races with that frame. How will it help me?
- ReDo my local Sprint Tri in June and better my time.
- Maintain discipline. Last year was the first time I did a training plan from beginning to end and it made a difference. No need to stop that now.
- Goal Race: Fall Marathon with a better than 5hr time.

January Goals

- Eat Healthier
- Drop 5 lbs from official weigh in on Jan 4th
- Workout 4 times every week totaling about 7-8 hours
2016-01-02 6:17 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Thors question of what everyone is drinking on New Years eve is a good one. I just had Nancy by Alagash. Good but not great!

Let's talk beer. I record every beer I drink and give it a grade from A+ to F. This year, I tried almost 700 beers. Here are the ones that got a perfect score (about 7% got an A+):

Jacks Abby Sour Red
Jacks Abby Sour Barrel Project #9
Westbrook Brewing Co. Gose
Cascade Brewing Co. Kriek
Paradox Brewing Co. Apricot Sour
Alagash Brewing - Tiara
Alagash Confluence
Alagash - Riverton
Stone Brewing - Sorry Not Sorry IPA
Sierra Nevada Brewing - Hop Hunter IPA
Willoughby Brewing Co. Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter
Portside Brewing - 216
Clown Shoes Brewing - Mango
Clown Shoes - The Ballad of Minnie Quay
Night Shift Brewing - Mainer Weisse
Night Shift Brewing - Harborside
Sierra Nevada - Torpedo Extra IPA
Boulevard Brewing CO. Funky Pumpkin
Bruery Terreux - Beret
Hardywood Park Brewing - Pils
Transmitter Brewing - F4 Brett Farmhouse Ale
Cambridge Brewing Arquebus
Troegs Brewing - Sunshine Pils
Brasserie Diue du Ciel - Blanche du Paradis
Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen - Golden Doesjel
Right Brain - Hefe Cubano
Right Brain - Concrete Dinosaur
The Brew Kettle White Rajah
Brouwerij Huyghe - Van Diest Fruli Strawberry Beer
John Harvards - Cold fusion Coffee Stout
John Harvards - Strawberry Wheat
Avery Brewing Co - Raspberry Sour
Traveler Brewing Co - Grapefruit Shandy
Ballast Brewing Co - Indra Kunindra
Small Town Brewery - Not Your Father's Rootbeer
Southern Tier Brewing Co - Choklat
Crazy Mountain Brewing Co - Lawyers Guns and Money Barleywine
The Lost Abby Brewing Co - Gift of the Maji
Bells Brewing Co - Two Hearted Ale

Thoughts?

Hmmm, not seeing Heady Topper on here......???

SAd to say but I didn't have any this year. We need to do a race so I can get my hands on some. Y'all who live in VT are damn lucky people!
2016-01-02 6:35 AM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kjvandermolen

NAME: Kyle

STORY: In 2014 I decided enough was enough and focused on losing weight. I was my heaviest scale reading at 290 and a year later in the spring of this year I was down to 225. Things got crazy at work in the effect of potential lay offs and shutting down parts of the plant and now I find myself back up to 270. I am continuing to work out but gone was the diet and in was the excuse of "I worked out.....I can eat that". I got a bike the middle part of last year and started riding that and picked right back up. I decided at the same time that running would be another good way to lose the weight as well and started the C25K program in the summer and then did a 5K in the fall. Talking to one of my friends in CO, she was like well....you have the bike thing, and are starting on the running thing....start swimming and do a tri. At that point it was challenge accepted. So currently I am working on losing the weight (goal is about 50 lbs to start) and to work my fitness up to putting all the things together. Work is still up in the area on layoff/working and/or being relocated so my race schedule/plan for this year is up in limbo....

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 7 years with a 3.5 yr old daughter

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently focusing on running as it is my second weakest area. I do mix some biking and some swimming in there as well, but as it stands just working on building up each of the sports.

2015 RACES: Strut Your Mutt 5K

The Plan for 2016: One race 5K or greater in each month and one of those being a sprint triathlon. Right now Frozen Bunz Run Jan '16, Race for the Chocolate Feb '13

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: I am a craft beer guy for the most part. I enjoy good flavor beers in a wide range of styles. I also enjoy a nice cab every once in awhile. Rum and bourbon are the two hard choices for me.

WEIGHT LOSS: I am focusing on losing about 50 pounds this year.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I am a easy going friendly guy. I am a sponge when it comes to new topics and love to learn from everyone and help out where I can.

Kyle - So glad to have you join our group. I think you will find a nice mix of people in here. There are some who have a ton of experience and there are also people like you who are just starting your tri journeys. I have aq couple of thoughts I would like to throw your way.

1 - Sign us ASAP for a tri in your area. Putting something to shoot for on the books will help hold you accountable and will give you something to shoot for. The nice thing about traithlon these days is that it's a competative business and try to find a sprint where they offer a training session for athletes that are new to the sport. For example, my local tri offeres people the opportunity to come to a briefing the day before the race so you can learn new techniques that will help you in the race.

2. You and I are in the same boat - we both want to lose 50 pounds this year. Lets help hold each other accountable. One of the things that has really helped me are personal connections here in the group. Let me know how I can help you. One way you could help me is bugging me about recording my food on a daily basis. If you're on my fitness pal - would you keep an eye on me and check to make sure I'm being good. What can I do to help you?

3. Here is a suggestion to help keep you motivated. In December, I asked all my friends to write me notes that I made into a chain. Each week, I weigh myself. For every pound I lose, I get to tear off and read a note from the chain. This accountability is key for me because I know I tend to fall off the wagon (as I have done the last two weeks while I have been on vacation). I know I need to keep going because those people are waiting on me to lose the weight. I am attaching a pic of the chain (and my closet (the 30 pairs of pants and shirts on the right are all too small for me - another incentive.

I hope I haven't thrown too much at you but I'd love to help you lose the weight and if youre game - let's do it together.

(IMG_0366.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0366.JPG (1975KB - 8 downloads)
2016-01-02 6:52 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Welcome back Kate and Jenn! One of the things I like about BDAS is the knowledge that this group possesses. Its not every group that is lucky enough to have a D1 swimmer in its midst. Jenn is another awesome addition. She is passionate about her beer and great about supporting people.

Jenn - We've got to find a race to do together this year. Let's make it happen.

As for Jenn's mention of Bike Shirts - I'm hoping we can convince Dave O to head up an order in mid-January. They are awesome shirts and I wear mine proudly.
2016-01-02 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bertjeivens

Bert - So glad to have you! Love the international flavor this group is taking on!

When my friends from Belgium come over they usually bring me few cases. Most of it is Stella Artois then I have some Duvel, Duvel IPA, Duvel triple hop, Lindemans kriek, Vedett. no micro-brewery stuff

How is the Duvel triple hop? I don't think we can get that over here in the states. You drink good beer!

2016-01-02 8:19 AM

Originally posted by bertjeivens

How is the Duvel triple hop? I don't think we can get that over here in the states. You drink good beer!

I'm not much of a Duvel drinker, but the triple hop is really nice as is the IPA. It's a heavy beer but you dont really taste it thats its that heavy. The bar I went to When I went to college was also the bar where the American exchange students came. It was very funny every 3 months or so new American students arrived and they usually dont make it to midnight. There must be something that makes them think they can down Duvels like water.
good memories
2016-01-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: #5158684

User image

Extreme Veteran
It's the weekend! What does everyone have planned?

Tomorrow my daughter has ski school so I have lots of moguls on my mind. Today I'm going to either swim or cross country ski or both (but our thermometer says -25 so I'm hoping the sun warms it up quick!)

My goal for the week ahead is to actually get up and do Master's one morning- if someone could hold me to this I'd appreciate it. I hate getting up but always feel a ton better after a good swim workout.
2016-01-02 10:11 AM
in reply to: #5158719

User image

Extreme Veteran
Can someone explain Garmin Connect Groups? I have a Garmin watch but have never used Garmin Connect.
2016-01-02 11:25 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Moonrocket Can someone explain Garmin Connect Groups? I have a Garmin watch but have never used Garmin Connect.

Just search BDAS on Garmin Connect.  I just joined, but I'm not sure what it offers in addition to BT.

2016-01-02 11:29 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Two days into 2016 and two runs in the books.  Starting slow with no speed or time goals - just trying to keep decent form throughout.

One of my goals is to run a half marathon under 2 hours and under 200 pounds, hence the signature line.  Running is the quickest way for me to drop pounds and dropping pounds is the best way for me to run faster.

2016-01-02 1:33 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by Moonrocket Can someone explain Garmin Connect Groups? I have a Garmin watch but have never used Garmin Connect.

Just search BDAS on Garmin Connect.  I just joined, but I'm not sure what it offers in addition to BT.

for those of us that use it we can see your workouts and people will leave comments from time to time on there as well.
2016-01-02 3:22 PM
in reply to: #5158720

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1/400--run today at lunchtime after putting away the Christmas decorations. 40F and the dog and I were loving it!
2016-01-02 4:21 PM
in reply to: #5158753

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Off to coach my son's hockey so i will keep this short. Yes you can do any workout. More getting in the training groove.
Anyone on zwift?
2016-01-02 5:02 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Call off the dogs.... I got in my run this afternoon. Just barely. Just after lunch, my friend called to see if I wanted to go check out the new brewery in town. The place was called Medusa and the beer was decent. We tried all their brews with their best being an IPL. Then we went to speakeasy (which was closed) only to end up at a tasty joint that served craft brews.

My choices:

Stone NxS - Decent
Unibroue La Resolution - Outstanding!
Grimm Echoplex - Meh
Wormtown - SNAFU Rye Wine - at 10% blew me away!

I washed it down with a serving of poutine.

On the way home, my friend had to stop at a hardware store and I found a sweet and cheap yellow (traffic cop) jacket on sale. So, I felt I owed it to the triathlon Gods to go for that run. After the beers and the poutine - all I can say is that it was brutal. Simply brutal. To make matters worse - the thin layer of ice made it all the more dicey.

Hope you all had better workouts!

Dave

PS- If you are the praying kind - pray for a Browns loss tomorrow. . I need a #1 pick and after 20 years of pain - I need it badly

2016-01-02 5:08 PM
in reply to: #5158765

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Running after four beers and poutine?!?!? That's impressive! I'd be barfing on the side of the road within a half mile!! If we had "get out of CLP" cards, I'd award you one for that effort!

2016-01-02 5:15 PM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
Dave - I'm in with you......

1)I have races in Jan and Feb Scheduled right now. As for the triathlon I am waiting to see if we are getting laid off/relocated/remain working. The plant that my wife and I work at is in the process of being idled and no one knows what is happening to all of the management personnel. I have two different ones that I am looking at that are roughly the same time frame (July) that I am planning towards....it just depends on if we are in MO or IN. It would be great if I can be down here and do the on around STL....there are multiple shops and groups that do training programs...I haven't started researching around NW IN.

2) I am on MFP.....and I'll challenge myself to logging as well to keep both of us on track.....my id is kjvander1037

3) That is a great idea about the chain....I'll have to start putting some planning into it....did you just have people email/message you and then you put it together...or did you have them send you them already put together....or have someone else put it together?

Last year work really put a damper on our moods with the up and down of idling/lay offs/etc. I'm not going to let that get in the way of the personal life this year.....time to start focusing on working to live rather than living to work.

2016-01-02 5:23 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
I'm in on Garmin as well......
2016-01-02 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Turning into the Stay-puffed Marshmallow Man...

I'm not hitting rock bottom but it's close. I just put together my clothes for next week and I have eaten my way out of a good chunk of the wardrobe I was wearing before my 17 day break began. I figure I've gained at least 10 lbs. Not good. Luckily I have a few fat boy pants to get me through but I need to get back on track and will do so tomorrow.

I have a favor to ask - One of the things that helps me is to be accountable to someone for each meal I eat. Would someone be willing to receive 4 texts/emails/facebook PM's a day for a week containing a picture of my meals. I know it may seem crazy to ask but I have to go through a cafeteria line for the majority of my meals and the food that the cooks at my school put out is meant for kids not fat adults looking to lose weight. KNowing that I have to send someone a picture will help me enormously. My wife can do one week a month and I've got a friend to pick up another week. Any body willing to help me out. I'd be willing to return the favor.

I also wanted to have a weight loss challenge for the remaining four weeks of January. Any one want to join me. We've done this in the group before. We all pick a goal for the month (Mine would be 8+ pounds) and weigh in weekly. During the course of the week, we update the mini group on our progress. Anyone interested in that?

As motivation - I'm posting a pick of my closet. I now own 2x the clothes I can actually fit into and I have more than 50 pants and shirts that I can get into if I lose the weight. Here's hoping to weigh a little less by the time the groundhog pops out of the ground.

Thanks,
DQ

(IMG_0387.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0387.JPG (2357KB - 7 downloads)
2016-01-02 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kjvandermolen

Dave - I'm in with you......

1)I have races in Jan and Feb Scheduled right now. As for the triathlon I am waiting to see if we are getting laid off/relocated/remain working. The plant that my wife and I work at is in the process of being idled and no one knows what is happening to all of the management personnel. I have two different ones that I am looking at that are roughly the same time frame (July) that I am planning towards....it just depends on if we are in MO or IN. It would be great if I can be down here and do the on around STL....there are multiple shops and groups that do training programs...I haven't started researching around NW IN.

2) I am on MFP.....and I'll challenge myself to logging as well to keep both of us on track.....my id is kjvander1037

3) That is a great idea about the chain....I'll have to start putting some planning into it....did you just have people email/message you and then you put it together...or did you have them send you them already put together....or have someone else put it together?

Last year work really put a damper on our moods with the up and down of idling/lay offs/etc. I'm not going to let that get in the way of the personal life this year.....time to start focusing on working to live rather than living to work.

Kyle -

I sent you a request on MFP - I'm Qua17

The chain - I sent out emails and PMed my friends on facebook asking for notes or inspirational quotes. Then I asked them to send the notes to my wife who put the notes together. That way - the notes were a surprise to me.

Work - what do you do? Also - I'm guessing it might have something to do with your profile pic. If not, it looks like your seriously into Scuba!

Let me know how I can help you!

DQ
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6421 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17679 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.