BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-04-17 12:51 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Last quick trainer ride before heading to Florida today. I only got a half hour in due to time, but boy I was dragging today for some reason. Tomorrow I will be in the land of Harry Potter and Transformers. ( love transformers)

Enjoy the trip and the transformers!

2016-04-17 6:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
25K race today. It's fun to back at it again. I need to put more effort into my training to see better results on race day. Too many missed training runs over the last few weeks led to a rockier finish than I'd hoped.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by kevinbe 2016-04-17 6:05 PM
2016-04-18 10:32 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Who has two thumbs but can only point to himself with one because he has a fractured clavicle? This guy!

50m from the line in perfect position for a top placing in the sprint and a guy behind me chopped my wheel. New bike is totally destroyed and clavicle is fractured. 

Bike racing, amirite?

2016-04-18 2:17 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Happy Friday!

Swimming and not much else right now.  L knee still swollen - no pain but some discomfort because that feels really weird.  It has happened to me before and then it just goes away - hopefully quickly this time. 

@Nicole - were you teaching swim lessons last evening at the Merritt?

Yes I was! Shoot, did we miss each other? What time were you there? I'm there every Thursday (although leaving a little early this Thursday) so say hi if I'm not too busy corralling 3 and 4 year olds!

Sorry if you were there after I shut the door. It was SO COLD I couldn't even get in the pool my last 2 lessons (they are stronger swimmers so I can just walk next to them). My last kid was shivering the entire time even though he was doing laps!
2016-04-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by adempsey10

Who has two thumbs but can only point to himself with one because he has a fractured clavicle? This guy!

50m from the line in perfect position for a top placing in the sprint and a guy behind me chopped my wheel. New bike is totally destroyed and clavicle is fractured. 

Bike racing, amirite?

My jaw just dropped. That is my biggest fear when I'm biking, and it actually makes me nervous to even watch big groups of bikers. Sorry about your clavicle and your bike! Heal fast!
2016-04-18 2:53 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
The hip/glute are still bothering me, but not too bad. I did a short swim on Saturday (800 meters, although my watch only said 675 or something like that b/c I forgot to hit the button once and apparently it only tracks while your arms are moving, not while you're just kicking). My arms got fatigued really quickly, so I need to keep getting there so I have more stamina.
Went to the gym this morning and felt pretty good, and I have 3 hours of volleyball this evening - 2 of beach doubles and 1 indoor 6s.

Yoga tomorrow, The gym Wed and Thursday, and I think going to the driving range with my boyfriend Wednesday night. Gonna try to run to and from the gym those mornings, and I'm back to walking to and from work when I don't need my car for something after (1.5 miles).

Also starting up my boot camps on Friday (for those of you that weren't in the group last year, I lead a boot camp in the park near my house with some friends...we do a lot of HIIT and it's nice to have my friends there for a sweat session).

Basically I am still building that base up but really need to start fitting in SBR next week. I will not be going to the gym much anymore (only 4x this month and then I'm cancelling next month), so will have more time to focus on the SBR workouts!

2016-04-18 4:05 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Sorry to hear that, Alan, hope you get better soon. When I watch the sprint finals at Tdf, or GdI or VdE, it is really amazing how they manage to go though avoiding falls, but when they do, it is a big accident. Now you are a professional, be careful, but no risk no win!

Saturday expected a beautiful 3h ride, but after half an hour pouring rain started, but I was already out, so finished my 3h ride absolute soaked.
Sunday much better run 1.45min.
Today, spinning class early morning - bestcycling.com is getting even better.

Juan
2016-04-18 4:06 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Thats my bike lying on its side on the bottom right. I don't even know where I am in this mess

(IMG_9108.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_9108.JPG (189KB - 4 downloads)
2016-04-18 9:00 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Been out running 5 of the last 6 days, which is some kind of record for me lately; must be the weather finally warming up. My first race of the season is next week, a 5k trail run. I'm feeling good, but haven't gotten in as many hill miles as I probably should have. I plan to throw in ample short walk breaks in the hope that my knee doesn't decide to flare up with all the ups & downs.

Alan, I hope you heal up quickly (how long does a broken clavicle take)? That picture is horrifying, I've been reloading this page all evening just to stare at it.

2016-04-20 7:54 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Thats my bike lying on its side on the bottom right. I don't even know where I am in this mess

Ouch!! Sorry to hear about your clav Alan!! Heal quickly!
2016-04-20 7:58 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Pretty quiet around here lately. Me too--after a weekend of working in the yard hauling brush and cutting down trees, I took an honest to goodness sick day yesterday. My allergies were so riled up, I could hardly breath on Monday. I went to masters class, but that was a big mistake to combine barely breathing with sticking your head under water a couple hundred times. Bailed on the planned run on Monday afternoon and rested all day Tuesday. Feeling much better today. Went to masters again and it felt good. Planning either bike or run this afternoon. It is supposed to rain here most of the day, so depending on how hard it rains, could be run outside or could be bike inside. I'm hoping for run outside.

2016-04-20 8:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Pretty quiet around here lately. Me too--after a weekend of working in the yard hauling brush and cutting down trees, I took an honest to goodness sick day yesterday. My allergies were so riled up, I could hardly breath on Monday. I went to masters class, but that was a big mistake to combine barely breathing with sticking your head under water a couple hundred times. Bailed on the planned run on Monday afternoon and rested all day Tuesday. Feeling much better today. Went to masters again and it felt good. Planning either bike or run this afternoon. It is supposed to rain here most of the day, so depending on how hard it rains, could be run outside or could be bike inside. I'm hoping for run outside.

It's great that you listened to your body and gave it a break. Glad you're feeling better! Hope the rain holds off for you this afternoon!
2016-04-20 8:33 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida
Hey All - just checking in real quick. Sorry I've been absentee for the past month. Some personal issues to work through. I am still working out, my bike is all fixed up and ready to go fro my first road ride of the year today, I have a couple multisport events coming up... Things are rolling. I even have a brag for whenever the next 'brag' session comes up

Upcoming events:
15May Season Opener Du/Tri Hopkinton MA (I'm doing the Du, Dave Q is doing the Tri)
19Jun Fairhaven Father's Day Road Race
24Jul Hockomock YMCA Sprint Triathlon

Haven't signed up yet but I will be doing the Sharon Sprint Tri in mid August which has in the past been prohibitive for me - .5 mile swim. This is my 'A' race for the year since I'm working up to the swim distance. It's like a stepping stone towards doing an Oly next season.

Hope you're all well!
2016-04-20 8:39 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Bike racing, amirite?

Holy S Alan. All the best for healing quickly. I'm guessing that clavicles don't mend overnight though... How long are you down for? This is a heartbreaker....I mean crash injuries are all part of the game but it sucks when it happens to you n matter what. Heal up soon!
2016-04-20 9:20 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
This should be good for a laugh. Finally got round to trying on my new aero/road helmet I got for Christmas (Giro Air Attack), and now I'm wearing it at my desk until it's time to go for my ride today.

(IMG_1350.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1350.JPG (309KB - 1 downloads)
2016-04-20 9:40 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

This should be good for a laugh. Finally got round to trying on my new aero/road helmet I got for Christmas (Giro Air Attack), and now I'm wearing it at my desk until it's time to go for my ride today.

That looks awesome!

2016-04-20 10:49 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

25K race today. It's fun to back at it again. I need to put more effort into my training to see better results on race day. Too many missed training runs over the last few weeks led to a rockier finish than I'd hoped.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

For a guy who doesn't like fruit beers - I'm amazed that you continue to impress me! Nice work, bud!
2016-04-20 10:52 AM

User image

Expert

Holy crap! That's just nuts! Glad you made it out with just 1 bone broken - rather than 206! Wow! You are the man! Heal up quick!
2016-04-20 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Nice Look, Mav! Say hi to Goose for me!
2016-04-20 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
2016-04-20 1:57 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by drfoodlove Anyone have any advice on how to choose a set of clip-on aerobars for my road bike? Getting a set for my birthday next month and need to send a link to Mom!

Catching up on posts so I'm not sure if this has been answered yet or not. I have these on my commuter bike and I like how I can easily take them off due to the clip on aspect:

RedShift aero bars

2016-04-20 3:15 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Anyone ever done a Ragnar relay? I found out the other day that MA has both a road relay (in May) and trail (August). I've never considered a long format race like that before, but I have to say I'm intrigued by the trail relay. 8 runners per team, 15 miles each over 3 legs (so a bit over 100 mi total).

2016-04-20 3:19 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Anyone ever done a Ragnar relay? I found out the other day that MA has both a road relay (in May) and trail (August). I've never considered a long format race like that before, but I have to say I'm intrigued by the trail relay. 8 runners per team, 15 miles each over 3 legs (so a bit over 100 mi total).

I haven't but had some friends do one last year. I think my main piece of advice is make sure you don't have someone overbearing and controlling in your car! And also people that recognize that it may be a bit uncomfortable at times. The only complaints I heard were that one girl was bossing everyone around and another was complaining the entire time. Having good people to do it with will make all the difference!
2016-04-21 7:57 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by drfoodlove Anyone have any advice on how to choose a set of clip-on aerobars for my road bike? Getting a set for my birthday next month and need to send a link to Mom!

Catching up on posts so I'm not sure if this has been answered yet or not. I have these on my commuter bike and I like how I can easily take them off due to the clip on aspect:

RedShift aero bars

Thanks! Already ordered some Profile Design T2+ bars, but I appreciate the response.
2016-04-21 7:58 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice short run this morning, just 40 minutes(#151). I've turned this week into a recovery week, cutting all of last week's workouts by 30%. Back into it hard core next week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6420 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17669 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.