BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-05-13 8:54 AM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by Syndiethea

Sorry, I have been MIA, but I have to say, I do believe in the mother's day mini sprint this past Sunday, I do believe I did my fast swim ever! Ok, I will blow up the feed responding to everyone's great post after finals this week!
Best to all!

Congrats!!

2016-05-13 8:57 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Juancho

Cool pic, sure he is using it for his 'profile'!!

Could agree more! Missing kids activities is probably what makes me feel "the guiltiest".....too much catholic pressure on my shoulders??

Juan

Hahaha - I stopped being Catholic about two decades ago and STILL have the guilt over everything!
2016-05-13 9:05 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by firebert

Thanks Cynthia for the recommendation as well. With my wife anything above the minimum, with the exception of her bike, is a 'want'.

Went with the Couer Tri shorts. Her birthday is in July so I was thinking j could do helmet then.

So I just ordered some Coeur shorts too! I can't wait! I got the black 8" ones (I like them longer - don't tend to ride up on me so much).
Has your wife used hers yet??? Good reports? So-so? I'm pretty psyched to try them. If your wife has any issues I hear their customer service is fantastic.

Too funny... She hasn't used them yet, finally tried them on yesterday. I didn't pay attention to the length, I wasn't given an option- just ordered what they had at swim outlet. First comment? "they're a little shorter than I like, I'll probably use them for training all summer and then do my race in my other kit". I said "Oh I was debating getting proper cycling shorts instead of tri shorts, should I do that?" and she said "no I need to practice in tri shorts". Good point. I felt less defeated anyway

Then I asked what to get for her birthday, referencing her $20 Schwinn helmet as a starting point. She's usually 'captain safety' but told me "I don't need a helmet mine is fine!" I want a pedicure or a foot spa". Ok, hint taken....
2016-05-13 10:00 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Then I asked what to get for her birthday, referencing her $20 Schwinn helmet as a starting point. She's usually 'captain safety' but told me "I don't need a helmet mine is fine!" I want a pedicure or a foot spa". Ok, hint taken....

HAHAHA Yes! She needs some pampering after all the training she's going to be doing!
2016-05-13 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont

Thanks Cynthia for the recommendation as well. With my wife anything above the minimum, with the exception of her bike, is a 'want'.

Went with the Couer Tri shorts. Her birthday is in July so I was thinking j could do helmet then.

So I just ordered some Coeur shorts too! I can't wait! I got the black 8" ones (I like them longer - don't tend to ride up on me so much).
Has your wife used hers yet??? Good reports? So-so? I'm pretty psyched to try them. If your wife has any issues I hear their customer service is fantastic.

Too funny... She hasn't used them yet, finally tried them on yesterday. I didn't pay attention to the length, I wasn't given an option- just ordered what they had at swim outlet. First comment? "they're a little shorter than I like, I'll probably use them for training all summer and then do my race in my other kit". I said "Oh I was debating getting proper cycling shorts instead of tri shorts, should I do that?" and she said "no I need to practice in tri shorts". Good point. I felt less defeated anyway

She hasn't worn them yet to work out in - she could exchange them for the 8" shorts (swim outlet does have them!)! Coeur makes 8" in black only (which bums me out a little because they have some cool prints) - but I'm like her, I like the shorts a bit longer. Definitely mention it to her though!!!

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-05-13 10:51 AM
2016-05-13 10:53 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Juancho

Cool pic, sure he is using it for his 'profile'!!

Could agree more! Missing kids activities is probably what makes me feel "the guiltiest".....too much catholic pressure on my shoulders??

Juan

hahaha..ssshhhhhhh, he's not on social media yet...thankfully....at least as far as I know..

2016-05-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

So, woke up yesterday to 5" of water in my basement...ugh. It has been storming and raining pretty hard for the last few days. I spent all day yesterday draining the water, trying to dry out the basement, and unclogging floor drains. Fortunately, yesterday was my "rest day", so only a little ST and yoga on the schedule for me.

Coach was absent from master's class today (his daughter is graduating from med school). You know what they say, cat's away, mice will play. We had a lot of fun, mostly just doing sprints with long rest intervals. Oh, and the 10x100 kicking. I hate kicking!! As long as the water stays under control in the basement today, I'm off for a 4:15 ride this afternoon. I might have found a riding buddy in one of my student's husband. He is a great rider, although hasn't ridden in two years, so I have hopes that he will help me improve my technique and speed!

Next week I'm off traveling. Hoping to get in all my workouts, but will be staying in a retirement community with a friend, so I'm not entirely sure it will work out that way. I'm taking my gear, bike, and best intentions with me. I'm glad, though, that it is a recovery week.

Good luck to our racers this weekend!!! And...try to stay out of trouble on this Friday the 13th with a full moon!

Oh, Gretchen, that sucks about your basement, sorry to hear it. I've had water in my basement and it was no fun at all....feeling your pain.

Awesome job on steamrolling your workouts and if you've got your gear with you, odds are you will use at least some of it!!
2016-05-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by thor67

Had a great week of training. Just need to keep the ship going forward consistently.

A bonus this week. A gal my wife and I know has  pro deal discount with a certain bike/run/triathlon clothing manufacturer. We are ordering some gear at 60% off.

We are buying 2 pairs of tri shorts, a cycling coat and cycling knickers--$345 regular price for $145!! this includes shipping and taxes! (no the knickers are not for me... :-) )

Saweeeet!!! Good score!! New gear always lights a fire under one's toukas. hahahaha
Keep checking in on BT, we'll try to help keep you honest with your consistency!! Go get 'em!!
2016-05-13 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Haha this sounds like my wife...

Originally posted by firebert [QUOTE
Too funny... She hasn't used them yet, finally tried them on yesterday. I didn't pay attention to the length, I wasn't given an option- just ordered what they had at swim outlet. First comment? "they're a little shorter than I like, I'll probably use them for training all summer and then do my race in my other kit". I said "Oh I was debating getting proper cycling shorts instead of tri shorts, should I do that?" and she said "no I need to practice in tri shorts". Good point. I felt less defeated anyway Then I asked what to get for her birthday, referencing her $20 Schwinn helmet as a starting point. She's usually 'captain safety' but told me "I don't need a helmet mine is fine!" I want a pedicure or a foot spa". Ok, hint taken....

2016-05-13 11:09 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

It is getting more difficult with the kids training as well. My 13 year old son always wants to run with one of us. My 8 year old daughter of course wants in on the action so each of us goes with the other. My son is usually fast enough for training but not very long. My daughter only runs a mile at a slower pace which is good for her but not so much for training. Plus we need to fit in biking and swimming. This has resulted in me putting my cycle trainer tire back on today so I can get some good training rides in...it is a juggling act...2 kids+2 parents who work+4 people training for triathlon=crazy household!

Originally posted by thor67

Had a great week of training. Just need to keep the ship going forward consistently.

A bonus this week. A gal my wife and I know has  pro deal discount with a certain bike/run/triathlon clothing manufacturer. We are ordering some gear at 60% off.

We are buying 2 pairs of tri shorts, a cycling coat and cycling knickers--$345 regular price for $145!! this includes shipping and taxes! (no the knickers are not for me... :-) )

Saweeeet!!! Good score!! New gear always lights a fire under one's toukas. hahahaha Keep checking in on BT, we'll try to help keep you honest with your consistency!! Go get 'em!!

2016-05-13 1:18 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Dave and John, where and when do you want to meet up on Sunday? I'm not familiar with the venue, but will be there early to pick up my packet.

2016-05-13 1:24 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Thor - I thought we had it bad with 1 kid+2 parents who work+2 people training for triathlon... MAN.
2016-05-13 1:28 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Dave and John, where and when do you want to meet up on Sunday? I'm not familiar with the venue, but will be there early to pick up my packet.

Was hoping to get my packet tomorrow afternoon but my mom needs me to help paint her house...so it looks like I'll be in super early Sunday as well.

I am mildly familiar with the venue. We're going to have to park pretty far from transition and walk our stuff over a dike and across a beach to transition. In between transition and swim in will be the Max Performance tent, they'll have a sign making station and all that other jazz that event organizers have. We could meet outside that.

What time?

Actually I don't know if Dave will be able to get on here before then, let me text him.
2016-05-13 1:31 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Speaking of Duathlons... Does anyone have any duathlon specific tips? Like, how much effort to put (or not put) into Run 1, to make sure you have enough left for bike and run. Or transition tips. I'm thinking T1 should be easier since I'm not stripping a wetsuit but its going to be weird going from run to bike.

I was supposed to practice transitions tomorrow but there's mom needing her house painted...at least it's my first Duathlon so any finish is a PR!
2016-05-13 1:44 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
I would suggest the rule 80/90/100: first run 80%, bike at your 90% and then, run at 100% . That´s what I do with swim-bike-run not to die in the run.

Last week before my HIM - I have the feeling of being absolutely undertrained. I guess it is a common feeling, but this time I think is much closer to reality.
Enjoy the training during the weeked!

Juan
2016-05-13 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Just enjoy the experience...you paid for it...

Trust your training. You will do great! Please make sure and enjoy at least 2 ice cold beers after you finish!!

Originally posted by Juancho I would suggest the rule 80/90/100: first run 80%, bike at your 90% and then, run at 100% . That´s what I do with swim-bike-run not to die in the run. Last week before my HIM - I have the feeling of being absolutely undertrained. I guess it is a common feeling, but this time I think is much closer to reality. Enjoy the training during the weeked! Juan

2016-05-13 3:56 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Thor, sure will!!

Juan
2016-05-13 7:26 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
58 mile bike this afternoon followed by a 15 min brick run. Gotta say, this sucked today. I don't know what it was. There are a number of things that could have affected the ride (70 flights of stairs yesterday dealing with the flood, new tires, 1000yd kick set at masters this morning, end of training block fatigue), so I can't nail it down. Long run tomorrow, so hopefully a good nights sleep will do the trick.
2016-05-14 9:46 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert

Dennis - I plan to get there tomorrow at 7:30.

As for where to meet - let's shoot for either the Max Performance tent or I'll try to find you at your bike rack in T1.

Jacks Abby Opens at 11:30! Boom!
2016-05-14 10:39 AM
in reply to: #5181689

User image

DeLand, Florida
Dennis - Dave I setting his packet today and will roll into transition around 7:30 tomorrow. I'll be there early like you. Can't send a pm with my number from the mobile version of the site at the moment but will when I get home.
2016-05-14 8:11 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by Qua17

Dennis - I plan to get there tomorrow at 7:30. As for where to meet - let's shoot for either the Max Performance tent or I'll try to find you at your bike rack in T1. Jacks Abby Opens at 11:30! Boom!

Sounds good, I'm going to aim to get there between 7-7:30. My race number is 240 if you come looking for me at the bike racks.

Sadly, I may have to pass on Jack's Abby. My daughter has a birthday party at 1, and with an hour drive home from Hopkinton I'd be cutting it pretty tight if they don't open until 11:30. We'll see...

2016-05-14 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5181735

User image

, Vermont
Good luck tomorrow guys!!!
2016-05-15 4:33 AM
in reply to: #5181798

User image

DeLand, Florida
I'm bib 462.

Thanks Jenn!
2016-05-15 9:45 AM
in reply to: #5181807

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good luck to all our racers today!! Or, perhaps, I should say Good Job!, because by now you are all probably done!

Happy Season Opener!
2016-05-15 10:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Easily my best training run of the year. 9.48 miles down in 1:18:12. 8:14/mi pace. This is my fastest long run in many moons. All the speed work is paying off huge.

Going for a 48 minute 10K time next week.

Looking forward to the tri race reports out of Massachusetts today. Hoping to get a report on the east coast brewery situation as well!

Edited by kevinbe 2016-05-15 11:01 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6419 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17665 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.