BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-07-20 7:52 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by aviatrix802

6.4 miles this morning with speed sets
4300 yds in the pool. Boom!

Fueled by Maple Syrup and Heady Topper - anything is possible.

Nice work!

2016-07-20 7:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Qua17Question - How do you guys set up your data fields on your Garmin for swimming. I'm wondering what settings I can use to maximize my swim training.Thanks!DQ
I have my Fenix 2 set up as follows:

screen 1: time (as in time of day)

screen 2: "drill mode", just time

screen 3: lap time and lap distance

screen 4: total time and total distance

I don't mess with any of the analytics while I'm swimming like SPL, SWOLF, or any of that stuff - just how far, how fast. If there's a particular set I'm doing that focuses on SPL or DPS, I'll just count them in my head for the real-time feedback.

What are some of the analytics that I should be paying attention to? Which will provide info that will help me improve my swim? I'm also working out in a lake rather than a pool so I would think that a lot of the tools would only be used inside in a pool. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Edited by Qua17 2016-07-20 8:10 AM
2016-07-20 7:57 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Nice work!

Hopefully not both at the same time! :P
2016-07-20 7:59 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Juancho

Question - How do you guys set up your data fields on your Garmin for swimming. I'm wondering what settings I can use to maximize my swim training.

Thanks!

DQ

I am sure there will be more pro's in this group, as my setting are quite simple: I am just worried about time/100 meters and total distance/total time. Sometimes, when looking at the uploaded chart I my have a look at the swolf but honestly, I only care about time.

Juan

x2--I only pay attention to time per 100 (and only sometimes) and total time/distance. I like to keep things simple.
2016-07-20 8:02 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice masters swim session this morning (2200m). We did a lot of "hard, harder, hardest" sets, which are just as terrible as they sound! On tap for this afternoon is an hour on the bike and then taper officially begins! Ten more days until my race (July 30). Exactly 10, which means I can now obsessively check the weather to see if this terrible heat dome we have settled over us right now will be gone by then!! Yay for taper crazy!
2016-07-20 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17Question - How do you guys set up your data fields on your Garmin for swimming. I'm wondering what settings I can use to maximize my swim training.Thanks!DQ
I have my Fenix 2 set up as follows:

screen 1: time (as in time of day)

screen 2: "drill mode", just time

screen 3: lap time and lap distance

screen 4: total time and total distance

I don't mess with any of the analytics while I'm swimming like SPL, SWOLF, or any of that stuff - just how far, how fast. If there's a particular set I'm doing that focuses on SPL or DPS, I'll just count them in my head for the real-time feedback.

What are some of the analytics that I should be paying attention to? Which will provide info that will help me improve my swim? I'm also working out in a lake rather than a pool so I would think that a lot of the tools would only be used inside in a pool. Is that correct? Thanks!

Oh, yeah.  That's right - forgot you swim in a lake. 

The watches have OWS mode, but I've found it to be complete garbage as far as keeping a GPS lock.  The last time I did an OWS (which was actually in a long resort pool LOL) was off by probably 50-60%.  It'll still measure your total strokes accurately, though.

As for what to track, I guess it depends on what you're trying to correct.  My two main swim flaws are that I have a worthless kick and my legs drop, and that I begin my pull too early when I rotate to breathe.  I focus on that rather than what those numbers say.

SWOLF (swim golf) is an interesting one.  It adds your total strokes to your time, which gives you some feedback as to what your optimum stroke rate is for a given distance.  Supposedly this makes you more efficient.  Your results may vary. 

Frankly, I think a lot of those more advanced swim metrics aren't very useful to us because we don't know what causes that result.

2016-07-20 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Power tap P1 pedals or Garmin Vector pedals? Looking for a single pedal option ($), LBS says Powertap is showing to be easier setup and easier to swap between bikes and have more stable firmware. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Everything you wanted to know about power meters and then some:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/buyers-guide2015-edition.html

2016-07-20 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nice masters swim session this morning (2200m). We did a lot of "hard, harder, hardest" sets, which are just as terrible as they sound! On tap for this afternoon is an hour on the bike and then taper officially begins! Ten more days until my race (July 30). Exactly 10, which means I can now obsessively check the weather to see if this terrible heat dome we have settled over us right now will be gone by then!! Yay for taper crazy!

YAY taper!!! Where you get to spend the energy you used to use training thinking about everything that can go wrong and feeling every single little ache and pain in your body. 

Hope this heatwave clears by next weekend - it's supposed to be brutal here (high 90s, high humidity) Fri - Mon.

2016-07-20 9:22 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

A rather large dose of prednisone has taken the edge of the back pain, so I've been able to ride and swim the last couple of days.  Still something very wrong back there - it's like something's in the wrong place.

2016-07-20 10:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

A rather large dose of prednisone has taken the edge of the back pain, so I've been able to ride and swim the last couple of days.  Still something very wrong back there - it's like something's in the wrong place.

That's exactly what Spondylolisthesis is, one (or more) of your vertebral bodies has slid forward relative to the one(s) below it. Be careful doing anything, the further out of place those spinal elements get, the more likely you are to impinge on your spinal cord.

Do you know if you have spondylolysis (fracture of the vertebra that generally separates the front and back halves)? It could make a difference in how your spondylolisthesis is treated in the long run.
2016-07-20 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove

That's exactly what Spondylolisthesis is, one (or more) of your vertebral bodies has slid forward relative to the one(s) below it. Be careful doing anything, the further out of place those spinal elements get, the more likely you are to impinge on your spinal cord. Do you know if you have spondylolysis (fracture of the vertebra that generally separates the front and back halves)? It could make a difference in how your spondylolisthesis is treated in the long run.

That I don't know.  I originally injured it about 5 years ago in an awkward lifting/twisting motion.  It took 3 doctors to figure out the spondy diagnosis - sometimes It's a bugger to see on an x-ray and doesn't usually present on an MRI (of which I've had several).  I also have bulging discs, but heck I've likely had them for years.

I've managed it since then with a combination of core work, the occasional cortisone injection, some yoga (being careful about the back bends...). 

Right before this relapse, I actually felt the best it has since I originally injured it.

And I know the long-term solution - titanium screws and a 3-6 month recovery.  :-/

2016-07-20 1:42 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

That's exactly what Spondylolisthesis is, one (or more) of your vertebral bodies has slid forward relative to the one(s) below it. Be careful doing anything, the further out of place those spinal elements get, the more likely you are to impinge on your spinal cord. Do you know if you have spondylolysis (fracture of the vertebra that generally separates the front and back halves)? It could make a difference in how your spondylolisthesis is treated in the long run.

That I don't know.  I originally injured it about 5 years ago in an awkward lifting/twisting motion.  It took 3 doctors to figure out the spondy diagnosis - sometimes It's a bugger to see on an x-ray and doesn't usually present on an MRI (of which I've had several).  I also have bulging discs, but heck I've likely had them for years.

I've managed it since then with a combination of core work, the occasional cortisone injection, some yoga (being careful about the back bends...). 

Right before this relapse, I actually felt the best it has since I originally injured it.

And I know the long-term solution - titanium screws and a 3-6 month recovery.  :-/

Mike, always surgery as the last option - strong core may keep you out fo the knive, And if at the end you need, just check whether titanium or carbon, as they are lighter
Hope you recover soon!
Juan
2016-07-20 1:43 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Power tap P1 pedals or Garmin Vector pedals? Looking for a single pedal option ($), LBS says Powertap is showing to be easier setup and easier to swap between bikes and have more stable firmware. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks! I am lost here, no power meter yet, and lots to learn.

Juan
2016-07-20 1:44 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

By the way, did you guys see that Manatees are #4 and WE are back to #1!!!!

Juan
2016-07-20 2:38 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Taper has arrived!!!

I got in a really strong bike ride this afternoon and it felt great!!
2016-07-20 3:25 PM

User image

, Vermont

Nice work!

Hopefully not both at the same time! :P

hahahahahahahahha!!!! Yes, that would be interesting!
Though I will say, there is a local brewery here in Burlington that seasonally has Maple Beer in which they use sap right in the beer. It's subtle and quite tasty! I don't think it would go in a hoppy beer though, for sure.
I did just bring some Heady Topper to the LBS today for the guys there. Next time it will be Switchback. The chief mechanic and I agree, we both like Switchback over Heady just due to the hoppiness of Heady.

2016-07-20 3:34 PM

User image

, Vermont

Thanks! I am lost here, no power meter yet, and lots to learn.

Juan

I ended up with the Powertap P1 pedals. From everything I've read, they are super easy to swap between bikes, which was key for me - much more so than the Garmin Vector pedals. I would have only been able to afford 1 Garmin pedal and for just a bit more could get 2 Powertap pedals; but still be less than 2 Garmin pedals. Having two was a bit key for me too from the standpoint of knowing my left leg is weaker than my right, but by how much, I don't know. Now I can figure this stuff out. I'll let you know in 10 years when I have everything figured out. hahaha

Cash is gone now though and ironically I just got my Flo wheel sale notification that their race wheels go on sale in 24 hours... no wheels for me until next year! I think the power meter is a better investment for me at this point in time. The 2 seconds I might gain over an entire IM for wheels (exaggeration, I know) is not nearly what I could gain from a meter in these still early stages of cycling. So, I will be one of those folks at the race with the fancy bike and no race wheels. hahaha, baby steps. I picked up another class this fall semester and will have two flight students so that should help to offset some of this.
2016-07-20 3:35 PM

User image

, Vermont

Taper has arrived!!!

AWESOME!!!!!! Gotta love when things come together!!!! So excited for you!!
2016-07-20 3:42 PM

User image

, Vermont

Oh bugger....
I'm with Juan on avoiding surgery if able..
Backs are so tough. I got hit by a Mack dump truck when I was 18 and my back has never been right since and is prone to throwing out. I also fell out of an airplane (nearly down the steps, not while airborne) and that threw my upper back out, so I have total sympathy for what you're going through.
This sounds much worse though with a fracture? Yikes. Get through this!! I'm happy to hear the prednisone is helping for the short term.
2016-07-20 3:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont

Dave, great idea Spotify list: here are some songs I like to listen pre-training or during training
- The Real Slim Shady (Eminem)
- Remember the name (Fort Minor)
- catch and release (Matt SImons)
- in bloom (Nirvana)
- speed of sound (Coldplay)
- Tush (ZZ Top)
- Uprising (Muse)
- Beds are burning (Midnight Oil)

Thanks!!
Juan

Added! Thanks Juan! It just got that much better!

Here's the link for those who use spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/1228926622/playlist/1QXymjE4geaUkuRJSM...

I love "Beds are Burning!" Brings me back a few years!!!

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-07-20 3:46 PM
2016-07-20 3:48 PM

User image

, Vermont

• By the way, amazing "brick" by Froome the other day, it was a really caotic end of the race in one of the most epic and toughest climbs, Mount Ventoux.

• Juan

Wasn't that crazy!!???

2016-07-21 6:37 AM
    in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
    Hill repeats on Vader early this morning. Felt productive.
    Pulled in the driveway a bit too fast and hit the break while un clipping - just had the cable tightened yesterday...doh...and I took a whipper off the bike because I'm just that talented. ...came down on the bar so hard..so thankful I'm not a guy right now. TMI?
    2016-07-21 7:40 AM

User image

Expert

Hill repeats on Vader early this morning. Felt productive.
    Pulled in the driveway a bit too fast and hit the break while un clipping - just had the cable tightened yesterday...doh...and I took a whipper off the bike because I'm just that talented. ...came down on the bar so hard..so thankful I'm not a guy right now. TMI?

Not TMI - just glad I wasn't riding Vader this morning!

Nice work on the Hill repeats!
    2016-07-21 7:52 AM

User image

Expert

By the way, did you guys see that Manatees are #4 and WE are back to #1!!!!

Juan

As it should be. We are 196 posts behind them. If we outpost them by two posts per day we will catch up to them! Seriously - it's all about supporting each other. If we do that - we'll be just fine!
    2016-07-21 7:59 AM

User image

Expert

Taper has arrived!!!

Just wait - it gets better!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
    Views: 6420 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 17673 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 12, 2014
    author : TeamMPI
    comments : 1
    The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
    date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.