BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-07-23 8:01 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Random: IM Lake Placid is tomorrow.. Temps look good at 73 but calling for 50% chance of thunderstorms. Gusty winds and small hail....
My thoughts and prayers are with them!!!

I've been following that story... After what happened at Racine 70.3 I think mother nature owes those that go long some nice weather. And even if the weather isn't good - hopefully they won't have to shorten the race.

2016-07-23 8:05 AM

User image

Expert

Room is finally booked!! Slopeside condo in Tremblant....yes, DQ, I will have to trudge up the hill if the gondolas aren't close enough. At least there's a pool for the kids and a kitchenette for my sis-in-law and I to make food.
Getting nervous, it's getting real..

Yea! Glad you got something close to the venue. You are gonna have a blast! Are your kids going - they will love the gondola rides!
2016-07-23 8:09 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I've been cycling on the trainer and swimming about a mile for the past four days.  The prednisone took off the edge so I've been able to resume normal activities (like not walking around like Fred Sanford, for instance).

Went to my spine doc...same old story - I'm a perfect candidate for successful fusion surgery because of my physical conditioning and dedication to getting better, which is also why he doesn't want to operate until we need to.  We're going to give it a couple of weeks to see if it subsides, so no running for now.  Glad I didn't pull the trigger on those two races in September LOL!! 

WHile I'm glad things are going better - I'm sorry you're having to go through this! If things don't get completely better and you have to have the surgery - you can always take a line from sanford "wheezy - I'm coming to join you" Not literally of course

2016-07-23 9:01 AM
in reply to: #5192165

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice hour run followed by 30' bike this morning. Enjoyed both.

When I finished up at 9:00a I realized that one week from now I'll be riding the race already. Excited!!!
2016-07-23 3:21 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nice hour run followed by 30' bike this morning. Enjoyed both.

When I finished up at 9:00a I realized that one week from now I'll be riding the race already. Excited!!!

You should be - you're gonna crush it!
2016-07-23 4:01 PM
in reply to: #5192222

User image

, Vermont
90 mile ride in - 50 on the trainer for weather then outside for 40 more - stayed close to home due to weather. Sure enough I was caught in 2 downpours; 1 I could ride through, the other I had to pull off - I couldn't see. Glasses were dripping and fogged. I was racing a monster storm home, I really wanted those last 10 miles for a century, but it didn't happen. I got home with less than 5 minutes to spare. Sky was dark as night and it just opened up and constant lightning. Quite a sight. I forgot to pause my Garmin during the pull-off (Ahhhh, Triathlete's...). Pulled over one more time as I saw a motorcyclist had gone down. A couple of cars were there to help him but I stopped anyway. Fortunately he got up, seemed okay and his bike worked so off he went.
Needless to say I didn't get the hour run in after.... My long bricks have all been failures for one reason or another, but sometimes that's life.
Long run on deck for tomorrow followed by a spin. We'll see how the ankle/Achilles goes!
Oh!! I did raise the aerobars up 2cm and I did all 90 miles on the tri bike!!! No back pain in the usual spot!!! Yea!!!

2016-07-23 6:51 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I just figured out you all have been leaving awesome comments on my race reports for the last two years!! I didn't know you could do that. Thanks everyone!!

DQ--trying to get your feet into velcroed shoes! That would tend to be a little difficult!
2016-07-23 10:37 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Today was on off day, so the boy & went to the zoo in the morning and then for a lazy ride in the afternoon. Hoping to hit the pool tomorrow morning to round out my goals for the week.

2016-07-24 6:37 AM

User image

Expert

90 mile ride in - 50 on the trainer for weather then outside for 40 more - stayed close to home due to weather. Sure enough I was caught in 2 downpours; 1 I could ride through, the other I had to pull off - I couldn't see. Glasses were dripping and fogged. I was racing a monster storm home, I really wanted those last 10 miles for a century, but it didn't happen. I got home with less than 5 minutes to spare. Sky was dark as night and it just opened up and constant lightning. Quite a sight. I forgot to pause my Garmin during the pull-off (Ahhhh, Triathlete's...). Pulled over one more time as I saw a motorcyclist had gone down. A couple of cars were there to help him but I stopped anyway. Fortunately he got up, seemed okay and his bike worked so off he went.
Needless to say I didn't get the hour run in after.... My long bricks have all been failures for one reason or another, but sometimes that's life.
Long run on deck for tomorrow followed by a spin. We'll see how the ankle/Achilles goes!
Oh!! I did raise the aerobars up 2cm and I did all 90 miles on the tri bike!!! No back pain in the usual spot!!! Yea!!!

Jenn - Great work on almost beating mother nature

Seriously - it sounds like your training is going really well even though you weren't able to get all your bricks in. BUt I'm thrilled to hear that your back hasn't been bothering you! SUch great news!
2016-07-24 6:40 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Today was on off day, so the boy & went to the zoo in the morning and then for a lazy ride in the afternoon. Hoping to hit the pool tomorrow morning to round out my goals for the week.

Enjoy the pool today and way to go reaching all your goals!
2016-07-24 6:52 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
It's time to check in on our weekly goals from last week before making our goals for last week of the month.

I earned myself a Coors Lite Penalty for mine.

DQ's GOALS - Lose 2 LBS by recording my weight daily (because the less weight I carry will lead to fewer injuries and will make me faster), 10 minutes of PT per day (because doing so will help me avoid pain), ice and roll my calf 2x per day (I eventually need to get my run on... 3 miles aint cutting it and aqua jogging is boring as hell), swim with no pain (because swimming with pain sucks) by watching my form

The only thing I accomplished was to swim without pain. I didn't make much progress on the first three goals. That Coors is gonna taste so bad but I will have deserved it.

2016-07-24 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Goals for the week of July 24 (THIS WEEK)

DQ's GOALS - 1/2 of last weeks because drinking COORS LITE sucks
- Lose 1 LBS by recording my weight 4 out of 7 days,
- 5 minutes of PT 4 of out 7 days
- ice and roll my calf 2x per day for 4 of 7 days

2016-07-24 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
I need some advice.... I'm the type of guy who just goes out and does the work without too much thought to HOW I'm doing it. When I weighed a decent weight, I could pull this off and was satisfied by finishing in the BOP. Now, thanks to the stress of not having a job, I've gained 50 pounds and can't afford to ignore technique.

One big problem I have is that my bike is slow because my revolutions are about 10-15 below where they should be for most of my rides. Last week, I finished a long ride where I averaged 70 and this is counting the entire ride (hills, decents where I stopped spinning, breaking for stop signs, ETC).

Any suggestions on how I can approach pedelling faster? Right now, I am hating my bike rides because they are literally exhausting.
2016-07-24 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
More advice needed:

Another big problem I have is that when I ride I'm so uncomfortable. The bike shorts that used to fit me (and that I spent a minor fortune on) no longer do and as a result I have saddle sores on top of saddle sores. Not to spoil your breakfast, but it was so bad on my last ride that I actually bled on my last long ride.

I was thinking of trying a new bigger type of shorts. I currently use Assos Daily worker bibs and REI Shorts. Charles (who has been visiting me - he says hello!) suggested De Soto bibs.

I guess I should spill the beans and let you know that my training for my IM is going so poorly that I've been thinking of down grading to a 70.3, so I've got to do something radically different to keep my head in the game. Without a job - price is an issue (for the shorts/bibs) but I stand to lose almost 500 bucks in race fees if I don't do IMNC.

SO, does anyone had a suggestion of a bib/shorts that would do me right?
2016-07-24 7:36 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Any suggestions on how I can approach pedelling faster? Right now, I am hating my bike rides because they are literally exhausting.

No suggestions, but I'm very curious to hear what others have to say - I have pretty much the same problem. When I can sustain ~90 rpm I feel lighter, faster, and less fatigued. But I have a hard time staying there, and eventually drift back down below 80 rpm where I feel heavy, slow, and tired.

2016-07-24 7:39 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by Qua17 More advice needed: Another big problem I have is that when I ride I'm so uncomfortable. The bike shorts that used to fit me (and that I spent a minor fortune on) no longer do and as a result I have saddle sores on top of saddle sores. Not to spoil your breakfast, but it was so bad on my last ride that I actually bled on my last long ride. I was thinking of trying a new bigger type of shorts. I currently use Assos Daily worker bibs and REI Shorts. Charles (who has been visiting me - he says hello!) suggested De Soto bibs. I guess I should spill the beans and let you know that my training for my IM is going so poorly that I've been thinking of down grading to a 70.3, so I've got to do something radically different to keep my head in the game. Without a job - price is an issue (for the shorts/bibs) but I stand to lose almost 500 bucks in race fees if I don't do IMNC. SO, does anyone had a suggestion of a bib/shorts that would do me right?

I have heard great things about De Soto kit in general, but have never tried them myself. I've been happily wearing Sugoi shorts for years, but they are tri shorts not bike - I find the heavier padding of a proper bike short to be too much. Then again I'm not in them for 50-100 miles like you.

2016-07-24 7:42 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Here are mine: 

1. Hit all the rides & runs on my plan (3 of each).
  2. Get into the pool at least once (this is always the first thing I drop when I have something more interesting to do).
  3. Core workouts 4x (just not a habit yet).
  4. Get my resume sent to the 4 jobs I found over the weekend, and find some more.

1. Done.
  2. Done (and boy am I out of practice in the pool).
  3. Done.
  4. Only sent resume to 3 of 4 jobs, but the fourth I'm waiting on some resume feedback before proceeding, so I will count this one as done.
2016-07-24 7:44 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Goals for the week of 7/25, pretty much the same as last week: 

1. 3x rides
  2. 3x runs
  3. 1x swim
  4. 4x core workouts
  5. Send resume to remaining company on my list
2016-07-24 8:42 PM

User image

Expert

Here are mine: 

1. Hit all the rides & runs on my plan (3 of each).
  2. Get into the pool at least once (this is always the first thing I drop when I have something more interesting to do).
  3. Core workouts 4x (just not a habit yet).
  4. Get my resume sent to the 4 jobs I found over the weekend, and find some more.

1. Done.
  2. Done (and boy am I out of practice in the pool).
  3. Done.
  4. Only sent resume to 3 of 4 jobs, but the fourth I'm waiting on some resume feedback before proceeding, so I will count this one as done.

Boom - No coors lite for you! Nice work!
2016-07-24 9:37 PM
in reply to: #5192255

User image

, Vermont
DQ, are you looking for bike or tri shorts?
If bike - guy friends of mine love Castelli bibs. I have their regular shorts I like for road biking (but too much padding for for aero).
Also Cobb Cycling has shorts I've heard good things about.

As far as chaffing - yup, it happens. Do you use any kind of chamois cream? Butt butt'r, Buottonhole, DZ Nuts, Chamois Butter? Those can help.
For after the fact, try Aquafor or Boudreaux's Butt Paste - I use the one in the green tube with zinc oxide. It's messy but works really well - heal up pretty quick.
2016-07-25 7:28 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Easy morning swim with the masters team. Coach is on vacation this week, so we are making it up as we go along. Fortunately, my lanemates are happy to taper with me! Later, schedule calls for 40' Z1/2 run with a few pickups in the middle

2016-07-25 7:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Taper question:

For those of you who've gone long: Did you have trouble eating during taper? Normally, I'm a chow hound. Both days this weekend I've been kinda put off food. I get hungry, but just don't feel like eating. Or, really have crippling inability to decide what to eat so I just don't. Okay for breakfast, probably because I'm mechanical in getting up and eating right away. Lunch is somewhat of a struggle. Dinner is ridiculous.
2016-07-25 7:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Goals:

1.) trust in my training
2.) follow the taper plan, even if I'm not sure it is right
3.) kick @ss at my race on Saturday!
2016-07-25 7:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

No suggestions, but I'm very curious to hear what others have to say - I have pretty much the same problem. When I can sustain ~90 rpm I feel lighter, faster, and less fatigued. But I have a hard time staying there, and eventually drift back down below 80 rpm where I feel heavy, slow, and tired.

I have this same issue during training, but not racing. During races, I'm easily up around 85-90. During training, always struggling to hit 80. Going faster during races too, but I'm guessing that has a lot to do with adrenaline.
2016-07-25 8:08 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I have this same issue during training, but not racing. During races, I'm easily up around 85-90. During training, always struggling to hit 80. Going faster during races too, but I'm guessing that has a lot to do with adrenaline.

It may just mean going in a lower gear and practicing keeping your cadence high (at the cost of speed for the time being)..as the muscle memory and strength develop you will be able to get in faster gears while keeping a higher cadence. For a quick check, count your pedal strokes/circles on one side for 10 seconds and multiply by 6 - so start when you foot gets to the top and count - if you get 15 strokes/circles in 10 seconds then you know you're about 90 on your rpm and just upping it to 16 strokes on that one leg in 10 seconds gets you to 96 rpm. I'm finding it's a slow process but will be good in the end - I can now spin at a slightly higher cadence than I could in the fall and maintain the same speed I did before and I'm hoping to continue to improve. One-leg spin drills help to smooth out your stroke and encourage even pedaling on each side - do 30 sec on one side, then switch and do that a few times. Find someplace fairly flat or a trainer to practice it. I think Alan went over all of this stuff a couple of months back. It definitely saves your legs for the run. Remember, tris are not bike races...I've seen so many people explode on the run because they left it all on the bike course. Cycling and strength building will definitely be focuses of mine in the off-season this year.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6398 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17600 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.