BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-05-06 1:26 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: The 2016 Break Up Triathlon
Originally posted by Dorm57

Originally posted by DJP_19  ... I did a somersault over the bars and landed on my back. I was lucky to get away with only a few scrapes.

Holy Moly Dave ... you are very fortunate indeed!  I hope you were not alone and there were others on hand to help out.  I crashed a couple of years ago when riding by myself and woke up in the middle of the road, flat on my back.  I'd no idea how long I'd been there, but I had scrapes on my shoulder, head, knee; split the helmet and other stuff. 

So yes, please get your ride to the LBS and make sure it's safe!

Dorm

Dorm,

I was very lucky to be with a group this time. Last time I crashed I was solo and had a similar experience to the one you described - that is very scary.

At least my crash generated a few laughs among my family and friends. Since there were six of us riding, once everyone knew I was ok, two of the guys helped me put the wheel back on so I could get rolling again. That left the other three women riders hanging around for 10 minutes waiting. As a result, they wasted no time in taking pictures of me sitting on the ground reattaching my chain and wheel. These pictures were promptly shared on social media and texted to my wife. The caption said: " David Proulx, if you wanted to avoid this climb, you could have just SAID SO, instead of flying over the handlebars to escape!" to which my very supportive wife replied simply: " #Life Insurance, # Spousal Benefits, # DNR"

The good news is that my scrapes are healing and my bike has enjoyed 3 days of spa treatments at the LBS, so all is good.

First OWS for me tomorrow at 7am and its gonna be cold. After that, a much more mundane bike ride is planned.

Happy training,
Dave

2016-05-06 5:47 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Advice needed
Originally posted by soccermom15

need some recommendations for aero bars.  I'm looking to get some clip-ons but not really sure what I'm looking at.  I've done some research online, but I'm not sure what to get.  The ones I'm considering are Profile Design with the bent design.  I don't need anything fancy.  I'm going to go to the LBS later today to talk to them but wanted to get your opinions also. Thanks

Janet

Janet, just make sure the pads on the aero bars can be adjusted forwards & back. Hard to believe, but some are not. They are on Profile Design T3 (and others I'm sure.) I have those, with the bent-upwards grip. I would find it very tiring for my wrists otherwise.

George, good race. I can tell from your reports that you're making progress with each one. For heaven's sake, keep looking until you find a saddle that is comfortable. Hey, I just sold one of my Adamo Podiums on ebay...most comfortable saddle in the world, but too narrow for my sit bones. I got $60 for a saddle that retails for $200. I'm going to sell the other one too, but if you want to try it I could hold off & send it to you first to try. Message me privately if you'd like to discuss.

This weekend, I swear I'm going to jump in my pond no matter what! First tri is 4 weeks away, OWS in a deep, cold lake. With the kind of weather we've been having, if the water temp in either is 60° I'll be pleased.

Have a good weekend everybody. No accidents allowed! Call your mothers, if they're still in this world.
Deb
2016-05-07 12:09 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Originally posted by ok2try

need some recommendations for aero bars.  I'm looking to get some clip-ons but not really sure what I'm looking at.  I've done some research online, but I'm not sure what to get.  The ones I'm considering are Profile Design with the bent design.  I don't need anything fancy.  I'm going to go to the LBS later today to talk to them but wanted to get your opinions also. Thanks

Janet

Janet, just make sure the pads on the aero bars can be adjusted forwards & back. Hard to believe, but some are not. They are on Profile Design T3 (and others I'm sure.) I have those, with the bent-upwards grip. I would find it very tiring for my wrists otherwise.

George, good race. I can tell from your reports that you're making progress with each one. For heaven's sake, keep looking until you find a saddle that is comfortable. Hey, I just sold one of my Adamo Podiums on ebay...most comfortable saddle in the world, but too narrow for my sit bones. I got $60 for a saddle that retails for $200. I'm going to sell the other one too, but if you want to try it I could hold off & send it to you first to try. Message me privately if you'd like to discuss.

This weekend, I swear I'm going to jump in my pond no matter what! First tri is 4 weeks away, OWS in a deep, cold lake. With the kind of weather we've been having, if the water temp in either is 60° I'll be pleased.

Have a good weekend everybody. No accidents allowed! Call your mothers, if they're still in this world.
Deb

Deb, I feel you pain about cold water, I too am itching to get into OWS, the ice just went out on my swim lake, I am hoping it warms up enough by time I return at the end of May. I bought a Synergy Endorphin wet suit last year and have yet to try it out.
2016-05-07 12:15 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Janet - My aero bars are one of the higher end Profile models.  I forget which offhand but as Deb says the pads are adjustable.  I've had to modify them a few times so it does come in handy.

Deb - I'll look at the specs for the Adamo Podium.  If I recall correctly my sit bones are 105mm wide.  I do have to do something because it is not fun.  Yesterday I went out for an easy recovery ride (only 36.8 km/ 23 miles) and I still had some issues.

Locally. a woman I swim in the pool with went into a local shallow lake for a swim and found it cool but not too bad.  She thought it was about 16C/ 61F.  So we'll be swimming in OW pretty soon.

Dave - Your wife has a good sense of humour.  Had to smile at her comment.

I had a good swim today and was timed at a fairly consistent 1:58/ 100m.  This was a good surprise.  I wasn't trying hard and was just swimming.  I don't think I've been under 2:15 more than a few times.  Next week I start swimming with Jonny O's group which should push me to work harder and I'll be swimming 4 times per week as well.

I had registered for a race in Osoyoos (south of here) and yesterday it was cancelled so now I'm scrambling to find a new HIM race.  I'm considering Coeur d"alene 70.3 or Victoria 70.3.

2016-05-07 1:20 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Missouri

George - I've looked at the Victoria 70.3 myself.  It's funny - I told my husband Ohio 70.3 would probably be the only HIM I'll ever do, but I'm already looking at others.  Not sure I'll actually do another one (depends on how this one goes I suppose), but I've looked at others as destination races.  I'd like to visit BC some day so thought I might as well look at races there.  If I remember right Victoria is a bit hilly so not sure it would be right for me (I typically avoid hills at all costs) but it's still an option, maybe. 

First OWS practice of the year this morning.  Lake temp was about 62* so not too bad once you got used to it.  I had my wetsuit, need to practice with it more and OWS in general - first Olympic distance race is in 2 weeks and OWSing is so much different than swimming in a pool. Felt good though. 

Have a good weekend!
Janet

2016-05-07 8:05 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

George , but I've looked at others as destination races. ...(I typically avoid hills at all costs

Hey Janet,
If you'd like a destination race where your family can sit comfortably in bleachers (!!) watching your entire swim ( in sheltered OW ) , and then have plenty to entertain them while you do your almost totally flat (!!) ride, and then have your picture taken as you run past the actual Niagara Falls (!!), you should look at Barrelman at Niagara Falls Canada. And it's not til Sept so you'd have planty of time to prepare and get a passport if you don't have one. I'm jazzed to be doing it.

And now after today I know that I can swim in 55° water! I had a neoprene cap & booties as well as my wetsuit. At first my eyebrows were distractingly cold, but when I put on a second cap & pulled it down to cover them, it was ok. A few more swims like this & I'll be ready for Keuka Lake.

Deb

2016-05-08 2:59 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
Scott, I'll be finishing your swim novice training plan in 2 weeks. In 4 weeks I'll be doing my first sprint tri. At that point I'll be 13 weeks out from my first HIM. My question is what do you suggest I do for a swim training plan for one week (the next week will be my taper) before the sprint and then the remaining 13 weeks to get ready for the HIM. I don't see a HIM training plan on your website, just the Olympic. Any suggestions would be great as the swim is my hardest part of the tri.
2016-05-09 11:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Janet - I'm leaning towards Victoria in part because my son lives in Victoria.  You're right about the bike course being hilly but it is mostly rolling hills not real big climbs.  The run is a trail run but it is well compacted and goes around Elk and Beaver Lakes.  There are only a couple small climbs around the trail where I wound up walking for 5m or so.

I haven't been in our lakes yet but we measured Okanagan Lake today at 16C/ 60.8F.  I'm not keen on OWS until the water is 17 or 18C / 64.4F.  I know I can handle cooler water but I don't want to. 

2016-05-12 10:58 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Amen to that. Anything below about 62 is just too cold for me. Our local favorite swimming hole--Lake Chelan--is currently reporting 58. Mr. Yuck! It will probably be mid-June before I care to brave the icy waters...

Steve
2016-05-12 7:50 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by CL001 Scott, I'll be finishing your swim novice training plan in 2 weeks. In 4 weeks I'll be doing my first sprint tri. At that point I'll be 13 weeks out from my first HIM. My question is what do you suggest I do for a swim training plan for one week (the next week will be my taper) before the sprint and then the remaining 13 weeks to get ready for the HIM. I don't see a HIM training plan on your website, just the Olympic. Any suggestions would be great as the swim is my hardest part of the tri.

Hey Chris,

Sorry I wasn't here to see this sooner.

If you are doing all the workouts, then at the end of the novice plan you will be doing 2K in each workout and 8,000 yards per week.  Going to the Sprint Base plan would actually be a step back so I would move to the Sprint Build 3x plan.

You might consider moving over to the Sprint Build 3x plan now instead of waiting to finish the novice program.  Week 11 of the novice plan goes to four workouts per week.  You are pretty close to the workout volume of the build plan now so it wouldn't be a huge jump.  There is a bit more intensity in the build plan, but that's the point, it is building your fitness, strengthening you, and making you faster.  If you start now, you will get down to the specific sighting work that will help you on race day.

The Sprint Build 3x plan starts with a STP test.  You will find directions for that at the top of the Sprint Build 3x page.

If you have any questions, send me a private message as that will go to my phone so I will see it quickly.

2016-05-12 8:17 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzmanAmen to that. Anything below about 62 is just too cold for me. Our local favorite swimming hole--Lake Chelan--is currently reporting 58. Mr. Yuck! It will probably be mid-June before I care to brave the icy waters... Steve

Hey Steve,

Our little swimming hole if just above that temperature!

I'm conducting an open-water swim clinic down near Newport Beach the weekend after next (~ 9-days).  So far we have 16 hearty people signed up even though the water temp is 62.7 degrees (as of this morning) and we don't expect that it will go up that much before the clinic.  This particular beach generally has waves in the 3-6 foot range; significantly higher if weather is coming in, and there's normally a fairly stiff breeze to make breathing even more fun.  (This class is designed specifically for ocean swims so we cover how to deal with a surf line, hence the beach with some waves).

I suspect after the first swim through the surf line nobody will be thinking about the water temperature!

Wind, waves, and cold water - THAT'S how you get comfortable in open water!

2016-05-13 3:14 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri

So what's on the agenda for the weekend?  Anyone racing?  I'll be doing another OWS practice tomorrow morning and if the water temp is close to last week's (64*, not 62 like I previously said), it will be warmer in the water than out of it.  Air temps will only be around 50* - going to be a cool morning.  Group bike ride afterwards, 15-20 miles.  Probably a pool swim and then a run on Sunday.  

Getting a little nervous for my race next weekend.  I know I can do the bike and run, but the swim is freaking me out a little.  It doesn't help that I'm in one of the first waves to go off - that leaves a lot of people to swim over me!  

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Janet

2016-05-13 6:40 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Thanks Scott! No problem on the time...I'm not on everyday either. This is just what I was looking for. Of course I looked at the end workouts and thought I can't do that, just like I did when I first started the novice. But I will be able to at the end!
2016-05-14 12:43 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Expert
Missouri

Feeling better about the swim for next week after practice this morning.  It was a chilly start to the day - air temps around 48* but the lake temp was 68* so it was nicer in the water than out of it.  I managed to make it all the way around the perimeter of the lake - about 1000 meters.  Time was just over 31 minutes but that's about what I expected so I'm OK with it.  Water was pretty choppy today because of the 15mph winds.  I also skipped the group ride afterwards due to the winds and cold.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better and I can get my ride in then. 

Janet

2016-05-14 1:23 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzmanAmen to that. Anything below about 62 is just too cold for me. Our local favorite swimming hole--Lake Chelan--is currently reporting 58. Mr. Yuck! It will probably be mid-June before I care to brave the icy waters... Steve

Hey Steve,

Our little swimming hole if just above that temperature!

I'm conducting an open-water swim clinic down near Newport Beach the weekend after next (~ 9-days).  So far we have 16 hearty people signed up even though the water temp is 62.7 degrees (as of this morning) and we don't expect that it will go up that much before the clinic.  This particular beach generally has waves in the 3-6 foot range; significantly higher if weather is coming in, and there's normally a fairly stiff breeze to make breathing even more fun.  (This class is designed specifically for ocean swims so we cover how to deal with a surf line, hence the beach with some waves).

I suspect after the first swim through the surf line nobody will be thinking about the water temperature!

Wind, waves, and cold water - THAT'S how you get comfortable in open water!

Scott:

Wetsuits are worn I hope... I'd have to wear my neoprene cap as well, which I normally stow in a pink sissy box on my shelf when not in use.

Sound like fun. I'd go if I was in Socal for sure.

Steve

2016-05-15 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Just after my last post I got sick AGAIN!!  I'm pretty choked that I lost an entire week of workouts.  I even missed a 90K bike ride yesterday and a 90 minute run today.  Now I have to struggle to get going again.  Tomorrow was scheduled to be my recovery day but I've got to do something.  I'll likely swim so I can work as hard as I'm comfortable for the first day.

I did get in a first swim with Jonny O and it was fast paced but not too difficult.  Hopefully I'll quickly catch up to the group.

Janet - Sounds like you had a good OWS.  Last year I swam an OW 1860m in 42 minutes in very optimal conditions (not a ripple on the water).  Then a week or two later I swam the same route 1860m in fairly rough conditions in 50 minutes.  So, just guessing but you might find your 31 minutes in rough conditions may be faster in more optimal conditions.  

2016-05-17 6:29 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Run interval ladder
I went out with a buddy of mine again last night for our weekly track workout. We did a interval ladder that covered a bit more than 6 miles in total distance. In previous weeks the workout has been warm up, 8 X 800 with full walking recovery at about a 7:20 pace, and cool down. Last night we mixed it up with the varying distances.

All the intervals were set to fit our current fitness which is around a one mile time of 7:20...so the shortest intervals would be faster, gradually dropping the pace as the intervals increased in length up to the one mile target of 7:20. Then back down.

I was a little gassed on the final lap and a half of the 1 mile interval (probably because we've done zero longer intervals) which led to the time being slightly below what we were targeting.

The interval times (with paces shows) were as follows:

1.5 mile easy warm up with stretches
400 @ 1:45 (7:00 pace)
800@ 3:34 (7:08)
1200 @ 5:25 (7:13)
1600 @ 7:27
1200 @ 5:30 (7:20)
800 @ 3:37 (7:14)
400 @ 1:38 (6:32)
800 cool down

It was a pretty good workout at my current fitness level. We were a bit faster than the 7:20 pace on the way up and a bit off on the way down, although the excitement of being nearly done generated some unintended energy to run the last two intervals a bit faster than the goal.

I'm very thankful to have a friend to run these intervals with me. It's so hard to do these alone and I'm quite certain that my negative self talk would have convinced me to break off the workout early had I been by myself.

Happy training out there!

Steve
2016-05-17 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Run interval ladder
Nice workout Steve! When I grow up i want to be fast like you

I missed 2 weeks of workouts and then had to go out of town for another 2 on short notice, so nothing but running and strength training until i get back home, hopefully by then the pond will have warmed up enough to start swimming.

I was supposed to be running a 5 mile race Sunday, but since I'm out of town that isn't happening, probably for the best, amazing how my legs feel after 2 weeks off, 4 days of 14 hours of driving will do that I guess (cross country trip).

Dan
2016-05-20 5:45 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Regular
Subject: Weekend plans
Anyone got great, inspirational accomplishments planned for the weekend?

Not me, just asking. Just long run and long ride.

It's Spring. Have fun out there!

Steve
2016-05-20 7:01 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Weekend plans
Hi everyone,
I'll just be doing a bike/run race-pace simulation for my 1st tri of the season, which comes up in 2 weeks. Also going to jump in the pond again for a few hundreds, water temp 64° focusing on even pacing from stroke 1. That's hard to do in cold water because the impulse is to go very fast just to get out; but it's good practice for the race start.

Just for fun I added up my total workout time for the last 7 days to compare with the time I spend on what I call "body maintenance." What I'm learning is that with every passing year, I have to do more & more of the latter, which includes long stretching & walking warm-ups for the run, long cooldowns with more walking after runs; plus icing, rolling, & stretching after both runs & cycling; plus hip-strengthening exercise 3-5 times/week.
The bottom line is that in the past week I've spent 12 hours running, cycling, swimming, & doing core work; and 5 1/2 hours doing the "maintenance" activities. Yikes! This isn't atypical; it just seems to be necessary in order for me to do the fun stuff without the body breaking down. So be it.
Be warned, all you younger people: as your body starts asking for it, you may need to give it or give up.
I'm somewhat convinced that the reason the upper AG's become depopulated is not because aging athletes are unwilling to do the workouts, but because they don't want to do the required maintenance. All the more (medals) for those who are.

A word about the walking warmups which Scott persuaded me to do as part of the Maffetone method. Oh, how I hated and resisted the walking! But I must say that now i totally love my 10-minute walks before starting to run. (Think no-traffic side road, babbling creek, birds & wildflowers) By the time I start actually running I am so relaxed in both mind & body that my run is more stress-free, which I think makes me both faster & less injury-prone. It's well worth the time.

AndI might as well add a few comments about the outcome of my Maffetone running experience, at a super-low HR and monstrously slow pace. I started this in January and have only very recently started to add in any speed. It's kind of a muddy picture because of my intermittant injuries; a HR monitor that frequently misbehaved until it finally died; and a change of shoes that made a significant difference in my pace. What is definitive is that it allowed me to keep running through my injuries & recoveries, and that I now run faster and more easily than before I started it. So I would recommend it, especially to anyone who is getting injured a lot.

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Deb
2016-05-20 9:08 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman Anyone got great, inspirational accomplishments planned for the weekend?

Not sure about "great or inspirational."  OWS clinic tomorrow morning.  Weather isn't cooperating.  Water temp 64.2, air temp suppose to be 58 with 15-20 MPH wind.

Gonna be a little bit chilly I think.

2016-05-20 9:59 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by lutzman Anyone got great, inspirational accomplishments planned for the weekend?

Not sure about "great or inspirational."  OWS clinic tomorrow morning.  Weather isn't cooperating.  Water temp 64.2, air temp suppose to be 58 with 15-20 MPH wind.

Scott:

I would love to see it...any chance somebody can shoot the discussion part before you hit the water?

Steve

2016-05-21 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Last OWS practice this morning before my first Olympic distance tri tomorrow.  Water this morning was 64*, the lake for tomorrow measured at 66* today, so not bad.  I'm actually really excited about this race.  I've gotten comfortable enough with OWS that it doesn't worry me (and as long as I just do my own swim and not worry about other people, I should do fine - slow, but fine).  The bike and run are on courses where I do a lot of my training so I'm familiar with them.  Just going to enjoy the day - it's looking to be perfect weather for a race.

Janet

2016-05-21 8:37 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Scott: I would love to see it...any chance somebody can shoot the discussion part before you hit the water? Steve

Did our OWS clinic this morning.  Water was 64-degrees, air was 59, with a 15-20 MPH wind.  There was 5-7 foot surf  with a 4-foot swell out past the surf line.  Then to top it all off, we had some vicious rip currents.  Good introduction to rough water swimming!  We had 26 people show up.  A couple of the people were very beginning, bordering on novice, swimmers which always presents a challenge for the lifeguards.  More than half of the people signed up had NEVER swam in open water - which I suppose was the whole point of the clinic!

We had ~ 45-minute discussion on the beach and then started sending people out 5 at a time to try out there "new found" skills. I am happy to say that nobody drowned and by the time we got done everyone was fairly competent at getting out through the surf line, sighting in the heavy swell and chop, and then getting back to the beach.

On a side note, I think it's going to be Tuesday before I am warm again!

Steve, I didn't see your post until this evening.  In any case, with the conditions, I am not sure we would have gotten usable video in any case.  Sorry.

2016-05-21 8:38 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Last OWS practice this morning before my first Olympic distance tri tomorrow.  Water this morning was 64*, the lake for tomorrow measured at 66* today, so not bad.  I'm actually really excited about this race.  I've gotten comfortable enough with OWS that it doesn't worry me (and as long as I just do my own swim and not worry about other people, I should do fine - slow, but fine).  The bike and run are on courses where I do a lot of my training so I'm familiar with them.  Just going to enjoy the day - it's looking to be perfect weather for a race.

Janet

Janet,

Good luck!  You're gonna crush the race INCLUDING the swim!

Enjoy the day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17598 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open