BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-01-15 7:40 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
Originally posted by ok2try

Hi Steve, Scott, others. I hope we see a lot of familiar faces here.
I'll be in again this year.

My new training motto, contributed by my husband: "Suck it up, champ."
Deb Bliss

Glad to see you're back with us Deb. Happy USA Triathlon Birthday!

Steve

2016-01-16 5:46 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hi Steve, Scott, others. I hope we see a lot of familiar faces here. I'll be in again this year.

Deb Bliss

Hi Deb,

Welcome back!  You proved to be an inspiration to the group last season and I look forward to more of the same!

2016-01-16 7:05 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I think I'm really going to enjoy this group

Training right now is sputtering along.  I have a major project ongoing in my backyard - I'm building a barn - but once it's through, the training is ON!  I look to finish this beast up in ~2 weeks. 

George - I agree with the comment re: running and weight loss.  It's totally baffling to me but it seems that once I start running I do drop a few pounds.  And so, the weather here is not so terrible that I can't get outside for a run ... I just need to do it. Also, Scott - thanks for the tips with intervals with the dreadmill.  This should make the 30-45 minutes go by faster, at least not seem so mundane or boring.

My bike was in the shop last week for some work,so she's up and running. I'll finish the setup with it on the trainer and look to start the Winter Cycling Plan on Monday.  Speaking of cycling ... I always like to refresh myself with the rules before every season, so I've taken the liberty to share these with the group ... yes there are rules: "The Rules"

Ciao ... all enjoy the weekend.

Dorm

2016-01-17 12:29 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Sunday Rest

Hey All!

Well, it's Sunday - for me that means a much needed rest day.  Getting ready to sit and watch the Super Bowl, er, I mean the NFL conference game between Carolina and Seattle (hoping for a Carolina win, sorry Steve).

Everyone probably has a pretty good idea what their races this season look like.  At this point, we are all likely well into our base phase.  Just wondering if you all have a training plan in place through the rest of the season?  Maybe at least a loose outline?  If so, anyone care to share what it looks like?

For me, it was a return to training a couple weeks ago after nearly a year on the sideline.  The first week back was easy stuff to make sure I wasn't going to drown, fall off the bike, and still remembered how to put one foot in front of the other.  Last week I did baseline testing in all three disciplines - Swim STP test, FTP test on the bike and a Run Threshold test.  From that I set all my training zones.  Yeah, they all dropped with no meaningful training for an extended period of time.  Even so, sometimes you have to check the ego at the door and determine accurate zones for training or else your training will be ineffective.

My training over the upcoming few months is going to be focused on building aerobic base for running and cycling - long and SLOW.  Running that means Zone 1 running, cycling that means low zone 2.  Swimming I will be doing quite a lot of interval work around STP + 3 with 10-15 seconds rest.  A quick word on swimming.  I am WOEFULLY out of shape.  Yet, because I have good stroke mechanics - I was a swimmer after all - I got back in the water and after swimming 400 yards to warm-up was able to do a 1:07 100 yard time trial.  You CAN become a faster swimmer simply by improving your technique!

So, has anyone else come up with a bit of a plan?

(Oh wow!  Sorry Steve!  Carolina 14, Seattle 0, 5:00 in to the game).

2016-01-17 12:43 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dorm57

I have a major project ongoing in my backyard - I'm building a barn . . .

. . . I always like to refresh myself with the rules before every season, so I've taken the liberty to share these with the group ... yes there are rules: "The Rules"

Dorm

Dorm,

It occurs to me that building a barn can be fairly effective strength training!  We are likely moving back to Indiana in the next 12-18 months and look forward to building a home so maybe you can give me some pointers.

Thank you for sharing the rules.  I had seen those some time ago and had forgotten where to find them.  I especially like rules  #12 (particularly the second part), and #20.  Of course #5 is just a good all-around rule, especially when one feels that an excuse is in order!

2016-01-17 1:25 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Sunday Rest
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey All!

Well, it's Sunday - for me that means a much needed rest day.  Getting ready to sit and watch the Super Bowl, er, I mean the NFL conference game between Carolina and Seattle (hoping for a Carolina win, sorry Steve).

Everyone probably has a pretty good idea what their races this season look like.  At this point, we are all likely well into our base phase.  \

(Oh wow!  Sorry Steve!  Carolina 14, Seattle 0, 5:00 in to the game).

Scott:

Who knew that Carolina being up 14-0 in the first two minutes would actually be when the game was still close?!!!

I know the feeling on starting from zero. Like you, I've spend the better part of a year on recovery. The climb back is long...but I'm started.

I probably should have done the FTP tests just to document where I'm starting, but I just jumped back in. I'm really focused over the next 75 days on trying to get my fitness back as well as start some anaerobic work. That's where the falloff has really been noticeable. Once the snow melts I can get back on the track and start some intervals.

Right now I'm just trying to get some consistency of 3 solid workouts per sport/week and drop some of my "donut" weight.

I went back to strength training this week and promptly tweaked my plantar fasciitis, so I have to skip my Saturday long run (11 miles slow). Instead I'm just hitting the bike trainer more and my VASA swim trainer. I've got travel to the midwest next week so I'm hoping my foot will be well enough to run, otherwise the workouts on the road will be nil.

Scott--I'm envious of the 1:07 100. I couldn't do anywhere close that at my peak last year!

Happy training everyone. Scott--enjoy the game. I'm not!

Best,

Steve

2016-01-17 3:00 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Scott--I'm envious of the 1:07 100. I couldn't do anywhere close that at my peak last year!

Steve,

Yeah, but you don't win a Triathlon in the water.  Eventually we'd have to run, where your easy Z2 "I can run at this speed all day" pace is still minutes per mile faster than my best all-out Z5 pace!

2016-01-17 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hilde - welcome to our group!  Sorry to hear about your mom.  Hope your dad can get settled in soon.

So we kind of lucked out on the race yesterday morning.  The temps were near 30* with WC in the mid-20's.  Not bad considering that it was predicted to be about 10* colder.  I was still pretty much frozen but most of that was from volunteering at packet pickup which meant standing around in the cold for about 2 hours before the race even started.  I was happy with my time though - hoping to be under 36' and I finished at 34:27.  Not bad considering my lack of running the last 6 weeks or so. 

Scott - I'm still basically working off a maintenance program for now.  My actual training plan starts in early February.  I have an Olympic plan in place that will transition to a HIM plan after my race in May.  Both plans are pretty basic though since these races will be my first Olympic and first HIM.  Mostly just endurance stuff - getting used to spending a lot of time on the bike and building my run back up.  I'm pretty happy with where my swim is at right now.  I'm still slow but at least I can do the distance (in the pool at least). 

Janet

2016-01-17 7:25 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Training priority for me is cycling, running and swim.  Cycle and run legs are the areas wherein I have the most to gain-lose.  I have a couple of tough century rides planned and it'll take all I have to finish these.  If anyone has looked at the "Jorge" plan ... there is a lot of base, low intensity, Z1 and Z2 work early on with this plan.  I use the plan based on power and it works pretty well.  Time trial sessions are stuck in there every few days, to figure out what your max power levels  (FTP) are.  FTP is what you base your effort on, and if you stick to the plan you'll definitely see improvement with these.

Similar to this, I plan to start running this week ... mainly run longer and slower with Z1-2 intensity. 

For the swim ... I could use some direction here as I don't have a good feel for intervals, intensity, etc. So, if someone could post swim plans, I'd appreciate.

2016-01-18 12:41 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Hello everyone! I'd like to join in here if its ok.

Name: Chris Lehenbauer.

Story: I'm a 51 year old runner, been running since I was about 23. I've never done any racing except running. I've done numerous 5 and 10k's, 15k and several Ragnar relay races. Never a Tri of any length or a duathlon. I've biked very little except when the kids were little and I rode around town with them on the back of the bike. I've swam even less. One of my running friends said we should do a triathlon this year. I told him I was 51 and not buying a bike or looking for a place to swim. He said come on lets do it and I said ok. I then started to research what it was going to take at which point I realized I have no idea what I'm doing. I've started reading Tri books and everything I can find on the internet which led me to this site. This has led to hundreds of questions which is why I'm joining your group. I've had several injuries last year to include Achilles tendon, heel pad and an IT band injury.

Family: Happily married 30 years with two grown sons. Hopefully my oldest will be joining me in my first tri!

Current training: I had been running 25-30 miles a week preparing for a half marathon in June. But I'm backing off the running and adding swimming and bike workouts right now. I'm up to biking 20 minutes a session on a kinetic bike trainer, boy is my rear sore!! I did my second swim workout today. For some reason my brain thinks it is a good idea to breathe while my mouth is still under water. Human lungs are not equipped to extract oxygen from water, in case you didn't know. Needless to say my limiter is my swimming. I not only need to work on my form but also endurance. I only did 20 laps this morning in 16 minutes. Luckily my races aren't until summer!

2016 races: My plans so far:
- 5k in May
- Cooperstown Sprint Triathlon (my first) in June
- Boilermaker 15k in July
- 10k in August
- Lake George Half Triathlon and the Adirondack Ragnar in September
- Pit Run 10k, Mohawk Hudson Marathon in October

Weight loss: I don't have weight loss issues although it gets harder every year to keep it off. I'm looking to shed 5-10 pounds through my tri training.

I'm looking forward to the advice I'll be getting here!

2016-01-18 7:40 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Regular
Originally posted by CL001

Hello everyone! I'd like to join in here if its ok.

Name: Chris Lehenbauer.

Story: I'm a 51 year old runner, been running since I was about 23. I've never done any racing except running. I've done numerous 5 and 10k's, 15k and several Ragnar relay races. Never a Tri of any length or a duathlon.
- 5k in May

Hi Chris:

Welcome to our group. You've got lots of experienced folks here to give you insights, so ask away. With a Sprint tri scheduled for June, you've got plenty of time to get ready to have a strong race. The 50-54 age group is tough, so you'll probably see some really strong athletes at your race. But no worries, you should do great.

Let us know how we can help. And Scott is THE MAN on swimming, so he can be a terrific resource to help you get strong in the pool.

Enjoy the journey. There is so much to learn compared to just running. You're going to have a blast!

Best,

Steve

2016-01-18 7:46 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hello everyone! I'd like to join in here if its ok.

Name: Chris Lehenbauer. Story: I'm a 51 year old runner, been running since I was about 23. I've never done any racing except running. I've done numerous 5 and 10k's, 15k and several Ragnar relay races. Never a Tri of any length or a duathlon. I've biked very little except when the kids were little and I rode around town with them on the back of the bike. I've swam even less. One of my running friends said we should do a triathlon this year. I told him I was 51 and not buying a bike or looking for a place to swim. He said come on lets do it and I said ok. I then started to research what it was going to take at which point I realized I have no idea what I'm doing. I've started reading Tri books and everything I can find on the internet which led me to this site. This has led to hundreds of questions which is why I'm joining your group. I've had several injuries last year to include Achilles tendon, heel pad and an IT band injury.

Family: Happily married 30 years with two grown sons. Hopefully my oldest will be joining me in my first tri!

Current training: I had been running 25-30 miles a week preparing for a half marathon in June. But I'm backing off the running and adding swimming and bike workouts right now. I'm up to biking 20 minutes a session on a kinetic bike trainer, boy is my rear sore!! I did my second swim workout today. For some reason my brain thinks it is a good idea to breathe while my mouth is still under water. Human lungs are not equipped to extract oxygen from water, in case you didn't know. Needless to say my limiter is my swimming. I not only need to work on my form but also endurance. I only did 20 laps this morning in 16 minutes. Luckily my races aren't until summer!

- 5k in May 
- Cooperstown Sprint Triathlon (my first) in June 
- 10k in August 

Weight loss: I don't have weight loss issues although it gets harder every year to keep it off. I'm looking to shed 5-10 pounds through my tri training.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the group!

You have learned the most important thing about the swim already - you can't breath underwater! 

Your backside will get used to being on the saddle so that discomfort should go away fairly quickly.

We are ready and looking forward to answering questions so fire away.

Speaking of questions, I have a couple.  You mentioned your riding on a Kinetic Trainer.  What kind of bike are you on?

You said you did 20-laps in 16-minutes.  I am going to go out on a limb here and speculate that you are swimming in a 25-yard pool?  It that is the case then your doing much better than most adult onset swimmers, so that is another positive.

Obviously you are going to want to avoid further injury which is something we can address as we move down the road.

Looking forward to having you in the group!

2016-01-18 7:50 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dorm57

For the swim ... I could use some direction here as I don't have a good feel for intervals, intensity, etc. So, if someone could post swim plans, I'd appreciate.

Hey Dorm,

I looked at your logs to see what your swim background looks like and didn't see much.  Perhaps you can enlighten me on what your swim training has looked like.  How long have you been swimming?  What kind of pace are you generally swimming?  How far are you swimming in a typical workout?

Once I know that, we can talk about workout structure and plans.

2016-01-19 6:51 AM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Originally posted by lutzman

Welcome to our group. You've got lots of experienced folks here to give you insights, so ask away. With a Sprint tri scheduled for June, you've got plenty of time to get ready to have a strong race. The 50-54 age group is tough, so you'll probably see some really strong athletes at your race. But no worries, you should do great.

Thanks for the welcome. The questions will be flying!! Seems whatever age group I am in is always the tough one! Just as I get into an older group I think my chances are good at winning. But there are always tougher/faster people in my group! Good thing I'm not in it for the wins!

Chris
2016-01-19 7:03 AM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Originally posted by k9car363

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the group!

You have learned the most important thing about the swim already - you can't breath underwater! 

Your backside will get used to being on the saddle so that discomfort should go away fairly quickly.

We are ready and looking forward to answering questions so fire away.

Speaking of questions, I have a couple.  You mentioned your riding on a Kinetic Trainer.  What kind of bike are you on?

You said you did 20-laps in 16-minutes.  I am going to go out on a limb here and speculate that you are swimming in a 25-yard pool?  It that is the case then your doing much better than most adult onset swimmers, so that is another positive.

Obviously you are going to want to avoid further injury which is something we can address as we move down the road.

Looking forward to having you in the group!

Thanks for the welcome!

Even though I said I wouldn't buy a bike I did. I was smart enough to buy a used one though. I bought my son's Specialized Specteur road bike (so he could move up to a carbon fiber). This is what I've been using on the Kinetic trainer.

Yes, my 20 laps were in a 25 yard pool. My time wasn't so bad it was my form. As I said, I'm having a difficult time breathing and not swallowing water. I end up swimming with my head up. This will need work. Any drills to help me here?

My injuries are overuse injuries. I tend to overwork myself to reach my goals. I was hoping spreading out my training would allow for a less intense running workout. My concern is still getting prepared for a marathon at the end of the season. I haven't found a training plan that focuses on the running. Also, how do I train for a sprint in June and then a half in September? The 12 and 20 week plans don't fit in. I'm not sure how to adjust my training - especially around June when switching to the half training.

Chris
2016-01-19 8:00 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Thanks for the welcome!

Even though I said I wouldn't buy a bike I did. I was smart enough to buy a used one though. I bought my son's Specialized Specteur road bike (so he could move up to a carbon fiber). This is what I've been using on the Kinetic trainer.

Hey Chris,

A couple random thoughts.  

First you have a bike so that is a good thing.  I would strongly suggest you purchase a speed sensor (~ $35) - http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-12103-00-Bike-Speed-Sensor/dp/B00JLMS848/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453254407&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+speed+sensor  - and then go to Trainer Road and sign up there (you would also need an ANT+ dongle so the speed sensor can talk to your computer and TR - .http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-USB-Stick-Fitness-Devices/dp/B00CM381SQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453254718&sr=8-1&keywords=ant%2B+dongle .  It is a nominal monthly fee to be a TR member.  Once you are on Trainer Road, you will have access to a number of things that will make training MUCH easier and more effective.  You will have virtual power, that is a way of measuring your energy output at the pedals.  TR has an algorithm that calculates power based on the type Trainer you have and your speed.  Trainer Road also has various training plans available.  I would suggest you start with the "Low Volume I - Sweet Spot Base."  That is a 6-week plan that has ~ 3.5 hours per week on the bike.  That will get you started on building a cycling aerobic base.  I am a fan of Sweet Spot base because it uses a balance of volume and intensity to achieve the results.  You could do the Traditional Base program however that is actually slightly more time than Low Volume SS Base program. , After that block, depending upon how you are feeling and how much time you have, you can continue with "Low Volume II - SS Base" or switch over to "Mid Volume I - Sweet Spot Base" (slightly more time commitment and higher training stress).  Both of those are also 6-week programs.  Once you've done the base program we can talk about the best build program to prepare you for your races.  FYI - For a Half-Ironman the bike is going to be the most important part.  You CAN'T have a good run if you don't have a good bike split - PERIOD!  With that in mind, your cycling should be a primary focus.

Next I would seriously consider the purchase of a heart rate monitor if you don't already own one.  A heart rate monitor will allow you to better focus your training.  Over-use injuries such as you have experienced are often related to too much intensity rather than too much volume.  A HR monitor will help keep you training at the proper pace and help avoid injury.  Once you have a HR monitor we can go through how to set zones correctly.

Yes, my 20 laps were in a 25 yard pool. My time wasn't so bad it was my form. As I said, I'm having a difficult time breathing and not swallowing water. I end up swimming with my head up. This will need work. Any drills to help me here?

I am curious, when you said you did 20 laps in 16-minutes, did you do the 20-laps non-stop or individually and if you did them individually, was the 20-minutes the total of all the individual laps or was that the total time you swam including any rest breaks?

As a new swimmer, it is likely that you have a number of technique flaws.  That is where you want to start.  You can swim hundreds of thousands of yards but if your technique is bad, you are wasting your time.  To that end, here are a couple links to articles on my website - 

http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/resources/stroke-technique/31-novice/77-freestyle-from-the-beginning - this article talks about the fundamentals of freestyle.  Basically it walks through the things taught to beginner swimming classes.  At first glance, many of the items in the article will seem silly.  However, often times, adult on-set swimmers fail to learn the fundamentals and it comes back to haunt them.  I encourage you to take a couple hours and master all of the fundamentals.  Also, at the top of the "Freestyle From the Beginning" page is a video that show what proper freestyle should look like from above the water.

http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/resources/stroke-technique/31-novice/77-freestyle-from-the-beginning - This article is a little more advanced and talks about the freestyle (front crawl) stroke.  It provides a little more detail about stroke technique.

From either of those articles you can get to all of the stroke technique articles on my website.  I would encourage you to click on the "Stroke Technique" link in the right column, then at the bottom of the page, in the "Sub-Categories" section, begin with the novice articles and work up through the advanced articles.  That will give you a good starting point as to what proper technique should look like.  If you are like most people, it will be difficult to take words on paper to the pool.  Eyes on deck are the best way to improve rapidly.  Absent a coach or instructor, video analysis is the next best option.  I will be happy to provide what help I can from across the country!

My injuries are overuse injuries. I tend to overwork myself to reach my goals. I was hoping spreading out my training would allow for a less intense running workout. My concern is still getting prepared for a marathon at the end of the season. I haven't found a training plan that focuses on the running. Also, how do I train for a sprint in June and then a half in September? The 12 and 20 week plans don't fit in. I'm not sure how to adjust my training - especially around June when switching to the half training.

Generally you would designate your races using an "A," "B," and "C" designation indicating the relative 'importance' of each individual race.  For example, Steve will be competing in the Age-Group Nationals later this year.  It is safe to say that race will be his "A" race, meaning that is the focus of his training for the season.  He will likely do other races this season, however they will be "B," and/or "C" races.  He may back off training and slightly taper for the "B" races and will likely train through the "C" races.  Having the designation provides a way to tailor your training to your race schedule (a really simplistic explanation).

In your case however, you have the sprint scheduled in June, the Half-Ironman in September and a marathon in October; plus a couple of other running events.  You didn't mention in your bio if you have done a marathon or a half-marathon in the past.  The short answer is you should be doing a half-ironman plan that incorporates sufficient mileage to prepare you for the marathon.  You can incorporate some speed work a few weeks prior to the Sprint Triathlon however, frankly, I probably wouldn't worry about that.  This is going to be your first triathlon.  I hate to burst your bubble, but your probably aren't going to finish on the podium.  I say enjoy the experience.  There will be A LOT to learn.  Stressing over speed is going to be just one more thing you probably don't need to be worrying about the first time out.

Now, the long answer.  Your race schedule is fairly ambitious.  Can you do a Half-Ironman in your first year?  I imagine you can.  However, a better question might be should you?  If you have done a marathon, I think a stand-alone marathon is harder on the body than a half-ironman (due to the increased pace and increased pounding).  A half-iron means you are going to be on the course for 4-5 hours, maybe 6?  Depending upon how the bike training goes you could be on the bike for 3-4 hours, maybe more.  There is a 1.2 mile swim at the start (2,100 yards), and you are having problems with 20-laps (500 yards).   When you get done with all of that, you still have a 13.1 mile run to navigate.  Again, I am not saying you can't do it.  Rather, I am strongly encouraging you to count the cost.  I submit you may find it more enjoyable to add another sprint triathlon in July/August and do the Olympic distance at Lake George.  The swim and the bike will both be shorter and you will be much better prepared.  The run would only be a 10K, a distance which you are clearly familiar with.  Then next year, maybe add the half distance.  You will have a much better aerobic base and as importantly, you will have learned quite a lot about competing in a triathlon - specifically you will have learned first hand about pacing.  If you choose to go the route I suggest, then an Olympic plan modified to prepare you for the marathon at the end of the year.  It will require less hours per week, and you will build strength that will help avoid injury before you ramp up training to the level necessary for a half-iron.

Just my two cents.

2016-01-19 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hilde - Welcome to the group.  I had a peek at your profile and read your last race report for your Tri Waco Sprint.  Looks like we can look forward to reading some fun/inspiring race reports.

Deb - Glad to see you're back.

Dorm - I read through "The Rules" they always make me think and laugh.  I was surprised to realize how many rules I break.  I don't dare let my wife know about rule #11.  

Scott - I'm currently not following a specific training plan but I am working out consistently: swimming 3# one hour sessions per week (MWF) and trainer cycling 1:00 Tues/ 1:00 Thurs/ 1:30 Sat. and I'm easing myself into running.  I ran today a bit (outside - Yay!!) and it actually felt good.  Over the next week or so I'll develop a proper plan and race schedule.  Reading what you wrote for Chris may help me focus my race plans.

Yesterday I swam two 50m sprints in :54 each.  I was pulling as hard as I could.  Pretty slow but good for me.  Even after I read about your 1:07/100m!  By coincidence, tonight in our cycling class one of our classmates turns out is a young (20 something) pro cyclist that also swims 100m in 1:00 to 1:10.  I'd sure like to be able to watch her swim for a while.  So far my best 100m was 2:00.  For quite a while now I feel like I am getting faster and people I've been swimming with for 4 years say I'm getting faster but I can't seem to speed up any of my times.  I'll just have to keep pushing and not watching the faster swimmers in the next lane.

2016-01-20 7:50 AM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Scott, I joined here for yours and everyone else's two cents. I am lost when it comes to triathlon training and hope to get a lot of helpful tips here. I am crushed though that you think I won't be on the podium my first time out! Haha! My thought for my first tri is to just finish and get the feel for the race and to learn all I can. I run for PR's not podium places so a slow first tri isn't a bad thing...it will make my next one an easy PR! I hear what you are saying about going from no tris to a sprint to the Half all in one year. I read a few other places where it took people several years before they ran a half or full tri. I have run one half marathon that I didn't finish because of an IT band issue and have not run a full marathon. I have run the half marathon distance numerous times but all in training. A first HIM and marathon (especially so close) in one year may be too much. I will have to give the Olympic some serious thought.

Your first point on the speed sensor was one of my future questions. I was wondering if a bike computer with cadence and/or power meter were a necessity or a nice to have gadget. Getting into this sport is expensive and my funding is not unlimited. So I'm wondering if there is one gadget that will do all I need or will I be better off buying things here and there. I now have a Timex Ironman watch with HR monitor. But how do triathletes keep track of their times in races? Is there one watch that will switch between swimming, biking and running? Or is that just a lap function? Then is there another gadget to keep track of bike power or cadence? Or is there one that does it all? I don't necessarily have a problem buying a speed sensor and USB stick and TR but I don't want to find out a month from now that I could have bought something else for a few bucks more that would have done it all.

As far as the HR monitor, I have one as I said and have used it, but not properly. I'm just starting to use it maybe not correctly but more correctly. I will need help finding my correct training zones. I've tried several of the formulas and it seems my Z1 and Z2 are really slow. My typical slow runs have been around 9 min/mile. Going by my heart rate I'm down to over 10 min/mile and I'm still pushing the upper limit of the zone. It just feels too slow.

Swimming - the 20 laps wasn't straight through. I had to stop about four times for 30-60 seconds each. My time was for the entire workout including rest breaks. I will read your articles and try to work on my technique.

I haven't listed on paper what my A, B and C races are but have kind of done it in my head. The HIM or Olympic would be an A race not for best time but for finishing it comfortably. The Boilermaker is also an A race but for timing - I'd like to do better than last year. The marathon and the sprint tri would be B races as I just want to finish them and learn from them. The other 5 and 10k races would be C's. None of my races will be podium finishes although I may have a couple in my AG. Podium finishes are not a priority for me, as I said my PR's are.

I appreciate your time and thoughtful replies. I will start reading up on your articles and added info. Thanks!!

Chris
2016-01-20 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

I see some serious races coming up for some of you!  I am planning on a Sprint in mid-April, it will be a wetsuit swim for sure.  It's in my town, so nice to have one so close by and I have several friends that will be doing it too!

I am not following any sort of plan at the moment, mainly base building trying to get back to my former glory!  I decided against doing the half marathon so I can split my training time between all 3 disciplines.  Weight is slowly coming off, pants are fitting looser and I still need to add in some strength training.

So my Dad is moving to Texas from Florida.  I thought he was coming this week for good, but yesterday he tells me that he's planning on going back.  My husband I are kinda frustrated not knowing what his plans really are.  I was very worried about him making the drive by himself (he's 86) so I am flying to Orlando where he will pick me up and we can make the trip together.  Old people are like toddlers in sooooo many ways!!  I am out of sick days, so not sure what the plan is for him going back, I don't even know WHEN he plans on going back, I just know he cannot stay at our house alone since we have stairs and he's pretty unsteady on his feet.  And in spite of me telling him this several times, I hope we don't have a conflict when we insist he go to a motel during the work week.  So I'm feeling kind of stressed. 

I did get a swim in today, second one since last July.  I've had shoulder problems this past year, I think arthritis, but it's been feeling pretty good.  I was able to get in 1600 with some good intervals.  Looks like I'll have a couple of rest days while I'm in the car.  And not sure I can leave Dad with my husband for too long over the weekend, so training might have to wait till he's in the motel and we can resume our normal routine.

Keep training y'all!

2016-01-20 12:04 PM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Expert
Missouri

I'm a little disappointed with myself this morning.  Due to the snow we got yesterday, campus was closed until 10am which meant that I had about 2 hours this morning to get in the run that I skipped last night (for no good reason, BTW).  What did I do instead?  Watched a TV show (that I wasn't really all that interested in to begin with).  Me and running are just not getting along lately, which is strange since I normally love running.  Gonna have to figure out what's going on there.  

I'm thinking about signing up for an early season tri on April 17th.  Not sure though since I'm already doing a duathlon on April 24th and a 5k on April 30th.  The tri would be a 300 yard pool swim, 20 mile bike, and 4 mile run, the duathlon is a 1.5 mile run, 12 mile bike and 1.5 mile run.  I don't usually do races that close together but I figure I could use them as training for my race in May.  

Janet

2016-01-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Steve and Scott,

I'm a bit late, but would like to re-up if you'll have me.

I'm just back from a combo road race/sightseeing trip to Charleston and Savannah. I ran the Charleston HM on Saturday with a group of about 15 friends from Connecticut. We then spent the next few days "re-hydrating".

Now its time to get back to training. Will post a bio/race schedule a bit later.

Dave

2016-01-20 5:08 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Regular
Originally posted by DJP_19

Steve and Scott,

I'm a bit late, but would like to re-up if you'll have me.

I'm just back from a combo road race/sightseeing trip to Charleston and Savannah. I ran the Charleston HM on Saturday with a group of about 15 friends from Connecticut. We then spent the next few days "re-hydrating".

Now its time to get back to training. Will post a bio/race schedule a bit later.

Dave

Hi Dave:

I was wondering if you would be back. Glad to have you continue in our group! Congrats on the HM....always a nice accomplishment.

Best,

Steve
2016-01-20 5:08 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

- 5k in May
- Cooperstown Sprint Triathlon (my first) in June
- 10k in August

Hey Chris,
I'm here in upstate NY also, down between Ithaca & Binghamton. I don't see any overlap in our races though. (Although, if you haven't signed up for your May 5k yet, the Right2Run race in Seneca Falls May 7, honoring women's right to run AND vote and benefiting the Women's Hall of Fame, will include a 5k as well as a 19k. I think it'll be an amazing event, organized by Kathryn Switzer. You should totally do it. Men are also welcome in the race, so your son could too.)
Regarding your HIM, I considered Lake George for my first HIM, which will be this year. It has some major hills. I selected Barrelman/Niagara Falls instead, which has sheltered water, flat bike,& flat run. If you decide to take Scott's suggestion & do a shorter race instead, look at Cayuga Lake Tri in Trumansburg Aug 7. It has a sprint & intermediate (Oly, basically) distance. Extremely gorgeous locale, but it fills up in February so you'd have to move fast.
I'll also second his advice about TrainerRoad. It will give structure to your indoor riding. If you're going to do all that work, make it count.
Hope to see you at the races!
Deb Bliss
2016-01-20 5:13 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Yesterday I swam two 50m sprints in :54 each.  I was pulling as hard as I could.  Pretty slow but good for me.  Even after I read about your 1:07/100m!  By coincidence, tonight in our cycling class one of our classmates turns out is a young (20 something) pro cyclist that also swims 100m in 1:00 to 1:10.  I'd sure like to be able to watch her swim for a while.  So far my best 100m was 2:00.  For quite a while now I feel like I am getting faster and people I've been swimming with for 4 years say I'm getting faster but I can't seem to speed up any of my times.  I'll just have to keep pushing and not watching the faster swimmers in the next lane.

Hey George,

I took a look at your logs and you are putting in ~ 6,200 yards a week.  The same things I said to Chris regarding technique obviously apply to you also (as well as anyone else struggling with the swim).  Beyond technique, the next thing that will be most helpful is "developing a feel or the water."  Admittedly that is a rather elusive concept.  Obviously water is fluid and doesn't really provide anything to anchor against for the pull.  As you develop a "fee for the water" you begin to grasp how to anchor your hand/arm against the water so you have a more effective pull.  The more frequently you are in the water, the more rapidly you will develop that feel for the water.  You are currently swimming 3x per week, an hour each time.  If you were to up that to 4x per week, 45-minutes each time, you would have the same time in the water but would have a 25% increase in opportunity to develop your feel for the water.  How frequently you are in the water is the big determinant in how quickly you develop your feel for the water.

I don't know what your available time is like, however if you were to add the fourth workout and keep them all at 60-minutes, you would be adding an hour per week, have the extra opportunity to develop your feel for the water and would up your volume to ~ 8,200 yards per week.  Then you could make one of those days a "technique" day and work exclusively on technique with the obvious benefit.

2016-01-20 5:23 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member

Hey Chris,
I'm here in upstate NY also, down between Ithaca & Binghamton. I don't see any overlap in our races though. (Although, if you haven't signed up for your May 5k yet, the Right2Run race in Seneca Falls May 7, honoring women's right to run AND vote and benefiting the Women's Hall of Fame, will include a 5k as well as a 19k. I think it'll be an amazing event, organized by Kathryn Switzer. You should totally do it. Men are also welcome in the race, so your son could too.)
Regarding your HIM, I considered Lake George for my first HIM, which will be this year. It has some major hills. I selected Barrelman/Niagara Falls instead, which has sheltered water, flat bike,& flat run. If you decide to take Scott's suggestion & do a shorter race instead, look at Cayuga Lake Tri in Trumansburg Aug 7. It has a sprint & intermediate (Oly, basically) distance. Extremely gorgeous locale, but it fills up in February so you'd have to move fast.
I'll also second his advice about TrainerRoad. It will give structure to your indoor riding. If you're going to do all that work, make it count.
Hope to see you at the races!
Deb Bliss

Hi Deb, You're a bit west of me, I'm just southeast of Cooperstown. Seneca Falls is a bit of a ride for me. I'd consider Barrelman/Niagara Falls but I'm afraid it would be kind of hard to do the bike after going over the falls! I've done a few other races around Lake George so I'm familiar with the terrain. There's actually a few of us doing the HIM (or Oly maybe) so it will be a group thing. I'll be in SC in early August on vacation so I'd miss the Cayuga Lake tri. It is nice out there though.

I'm looking into the Trainer Road and what gadgets to get for the bike. It sounds like the way to go.

Thanks for the input!

Chris
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17694 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open