BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-01-27 1:50 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
I've been running using the Maffetone method for a few weeks now, at Scott's recommendation. A couple of initial observations: 1) At the beginning I hate-hate-hate-hate-hated it because of the long walking warmups and slow pace, and the discipline of keeping my HR really low. 2) I'm absolutely convinced that without it I'd be running off & on or not at all because the problems I've had with recurring injuries would be plaguing me again.
So for me, slow running is better than no running or inconsistent running; I'm going to carry it through long-term to see if it makes me faster too. I'll let you know in a few months' time.
Deb

2016-01-27 6:34 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by CL001

Deb, I couldn't get the cardboard measuring system to work either...I'll have to find some Styrofoam.

I ordered a 2XU Perform tri suit shorts. If I like them Ill get another pair.

Chris, I meant to answer this earlier:
You might not see the indentations in the styrofoam until you take a crayon (or chalk) and rub the flat side over the surface. I put mine on our stairs and just sat down on it really hard.

Also, I personally do like the more padded bike shorts for training and the tri shorts for racing. As long as you're getting a second pair, after you try the first one, you can decide whether to try some regular bike shorts--I like the gel padding.

Regarding nutrition, I won't add much, except to say I am as of this month sponsored by Hammer Nutrition. I don't recommend their products because of the sponsorship; I applied for the sponsorship because I've been happily using their products for years. If anyone wants to order any Hammer products, message me and I'll give you a code for 15% off your first order.

Personally, I usually like to keep my nutrition separate from my hydration. That way I can try to get the best amount of each. The amount of calories you want to consume is not what you burn, but what your body can absorb & use. If it's a hot day and you drink so much sports drink that you consume more than, say, 120-200 kcal/hr (individuals vary on that), you can experience bloating, nausea, cramps, etc. Also, if you just have water in your bottles they won't get so stinky.
Deb
2016-01-28 9:56 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by ok2try I've been running using the Maffetone method for a few weeks now, at Scott's recommendation. A couple of initial observations: 1) At the beginning I hate-hate-hate-hate-hated it because of the long walking warmups and slow pace, and the discipline of keeping my HR really low. 2) I'm absolutely convinced that without it I'd be running off & on or not at all because the problems I've had with recurring injuries would be plaguing me again. So for me, slow running is better than no running or inconsistent running; I'm going to carry it through long-term to see if it makes me faster too. I'll let you know in a few months' time. Deb

I think I'm going to give this a try, now that me and running are back on speaking terms.  With the recurring problems I've had with my ankle/knee/hip (the whole left leg really!), I'm thinking this might be the way for me to go.  I've tried using HR before but never stuck with it because it always seemed to be a little complicated - too many zones to think about.  If I'm reading this right, there are really only 2 zones with this method.  And I'm OK with going slow - seems to be my default setting anyway.

Janet

2016-01-28 6:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by soccermom15

Originally posted by ok2try I've been running using the Maffetone method for a few weeks now, at Scott's recommendation. A couple of initial observations: 1) At the beginning I hate-hate-hate-hate-hated it because of the long walking warmups and slow pace, and the discipline of keeping my HR really low. 2) I'm absolutely convinced that without it I'd be running off & on or not at all because the problems I've had with recurring injuries would be plaguing me again. So for me, slow running is better than no running or inconsistent running; I'm going to carry it through long-term to see if it makes me faster too. I'll let you know in a few months' time. Deb

I think I'm going to give this a try, now that me and running are back on speaking terms.  With the recurring problems I've had with my ankle/knee/hip (the whole left leg really!), I'm thinking this might be the way for me to go.  I've tried using HR before but never stuck with it because it always seemed to be a little complicated - too many zones to think about.  If I'm reading this right, there are really only 2 zones with this method.  And I'm OK with going slow - seems to be my default setting anyway.

Janet

Janet,
I encourage you to give it a good long try, and what better time of year than now. I'll warn you, if you follow the formula you'll be running really really slowly. My pace is 2-3 minutes slower than what I previously thought was easy! I had to totally relearn how to dress in the cold--warmer!-- and I had to temporarily drop my hillier routes because they just drove my HR up. Also, I learned that my body takes a really long time to warm up in the cold; but until I warm up I have to be ready to walk a few steps whenever the HR begins to climb higher than I want.
For the first couple of weeks, it was actually the hardest thing I have ever tried to accomplish in sport. I briefly became clinically depressed, perhaps from the lack of the usual endorphins that a nice brisk run will bring. I'm adapting now to the changes required, but I'm really glad that I don't have a running partner or group so that I can just focus on what I have to do.
It totally makes sense to me that, since running & especially triathlon, even at race speed, mostly depend on our aerobic energy system we will benefit from developing that system as much as possible. I'm really looking forward to being able to run faster with less effort.
Your left leg sounds a lot like my right. Despite physical therapy, ART therapy, and daily foam rolling & stretching, the problems just kept coming back. (I still do all those things. I have a number of running/triathlon friends & acquaintances my age or younger who are succumbing to their injuries and giving up on their sport. That's not for me, but it can be a challenge,)
A lot of people who try this will give it up because it's hard, unfamiliar, and feels stupid. I hope you persist long enough to see if it benefits you.
Deb
PS It was Scott who helped figure out what was my best aerobic HR limit. If you're uncertain, ask him. (Sorry, Scott, for volunteering you!)

Edited by ok2try 2016-01-28 6:10 PM
2016-01-29 7:01 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Janet

Hi Janet,

Here is a link to the Maffetone article on how to determine your Maximum Aerobic Function Heart Rate (MAF HR) - http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/.  This method doesn't utilize zones at all.  According to Dr. Maffetone, each individual heart rate is a zone unto itself so he is not a real advocate of "training zones."  This method determines a maximum hr and you simply keep your hr below that number while training.  THAT WILL INITIALLY BE A CHALLENGE TO DO AND WILL OFTEN INCLUDE WALKING!

This method is different from using traditional training zones - Joe Friel's running zones for example.  The Maffetone method has you working out below your aerobic threshold - the level of effort at which anaerobic energy pathways start to be a significant part of energy production.  The aerobic threshold is around 80% of lactate threshold, although it may occur before that (at a lower HR).  Using Friel's running zones, zone 1 is less than 85% of lactate threshold so the MAF HR would be near the upper end of Friel's zone 1.  This is SLOW running initially!  The 180-age formula (with a couple of modifiers) that Maffetone developed is based on decades of empirical evidence developed in a lab to support the formula's efficacy.  Maffetone's formula takes into account various stressors that alter blood chemistry, lowering your aerobic threshold, that a fitness test, such as a lactate threshold test, does not account for.

Another key component of this method is volume.  If you are only running minimal miles once or twice a week, you will likely not see results.  You will need to be running a few times per week and build mileage as fitness progresses.

Good luck.  If you have questions, while I am certainly not Dr. Maffetone, I will do my best to answer them or at least point you to the answers.

2016-01-29 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by k9car363

Janet

Hi Janet,

Here is a link to the Maffetone article on how to determine your Maximum Aerobic Function Heart Rate (MAF HR) - http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/.  This method doesn't utilize zones at all.  According to Dr. Maffetone, each individual heart rate is a zone unto itself so he is not a real advocate of "training zones."  This method determines a maximum hr and you simply keep your hr below that number while training.  THAT WILL INITIALLY BE A CHALLENGE TO DO AND WILL OFTEN INCLUDE WALKING!

This method is different from using traditional training zones - Joe Friel's running zones for example.  The Maffetone method has you working out below your aerobic threshold - the level of effort at which anaerobic energy pathways start to be a significant part of energy production.  The aerobic threshold is around 80% of lactate threshold, although it may occur before that (at a lower HR).  Using Friel's running zones, zone 1 is less than 85% of lactate threshold so the MAF HR would be near the upper end of Friel's zone 1.  This is SLOW running initially!  The 180-age formula (with a couple of modifiers) that Maffetone developed is based on decades of empirical evidence developed in a lab to support the formula's efficacy.  Maffetone's formula takes into account various stressors that alter blood chemistry, lowering your aerobic threshold, that a fitness test, such as a lactate threshold test, does not account for.

Another key component of this method is volume.  If you are only running minimal miles once or twice a week, you will likely not see results.  You will need to be running a few times per week and build mileage as fitness progresses.

Good luck.  If you have questions, while I am certainly not Dr. Maffetone, I will do my best to answer them or at least point you to the answers.

Scott - thanks for the link.  According to the formula my HR should be between 113-123, staying closer to the 123. 180-52 (I'll be 52 next month - figured it was close enough) -5 (because of the recent leg problems) = 123.  I'm doing a run/walk right now anyway since it's easier on my knee and hip so I don't think it should be a problem for me to stay within that range, but we'll find out on my next run.  

Also, you mentioned volume.  Right now I'm doing 3-4 miles at a time, trying to get in 3 runs a week, although most recent weeks it only ended up being 2.  Hopefully I can get back to 3 times a week now that the leg is doing better.  

Janet 

2016-01-29 11:48 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Deb, Janet;

Count me in as an interested observer to your field tests of the Maffetone method.

Scott,

Thanks for sharing the link. I'm going to give it a read.

As a frequent flyer with my local physical therapists, I guess I can't afford to ignore any approach that offers to minimize the chance of injury and get me to race day healthy. I'm in a "no running" recuperation period right now, so I have plenty of time to read up on the method.

Happy Friday,

Dave
2016-01-29 6:42 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
I know this is probably a "depends" answer...but...how long would you expect the Maffetone or another aerobic training method to begin to show results? Not sure if this morning was a fluke, but it was definitely a better run at my reduced HR. My first try at keeping my HR between 140-150 was very hard to do and my average HR for the run ended up being 154. I walked several times and just had a hard time keeping it below 154 let alone under 150. Second run was a little better but a lot of walk breaks of what seemed like 20-30 seconds or more. This morning my average was 145 and my peak HR was 152 (which was a slight hill). I only went above 150 3 times and literally walked 3 or less steps before my HR was back under 150. The whole run felt much better and the pace (most of the time) didn't feel unmercifully slow. So, did I just have a good day or should the exercise HR drop pretty quick? I'm still skeptical I can get down to my Maffetone HR of 104-114, but I'm going to try.
2016-01-29 7:04 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Originally posted by lutzman

If you want to save some coins, you can go with the Garmin 910XT. It's the older model and sells with the triathlon bundle for about half the cost of the 920XT. I have the 910 and I like it. I can use the HR and lap functions for running, the lap counter for swimming and the power meter and cadence for the bike. Although, to a point Scott made earlier, it's a bit of a pain to monitor a device on your wrist while on your bike. For my bike I have a garmin 510 which, again, is an older model but you can pick it up at a substantially lower price than the newer 520.

And as someone else mentioned, shop Ebay. I've had really great success buying gear off Ebay and saved a ton of money. It's not uncommon to find gear that is a year old but discounted by 50% or more off the retail price.

Good luck!

Steve

For those of you using the Garmin XT watches - do they make a bike computer that syncs with the watch so you don't have to keep looking at your wrist?
2016-01-30 8:06 AM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Spencer, New York

And as someone else mentioned, shop Ebay. I've had really great success buying gear off Ebay and saved a ton of money. It's not uncommon to find gear that is a year old but discounted by 50% or more off the retail price.

Good luck!

Steve

When I shop ebay auctions, I use a sniper service which makes it very simple. I use http://www.gixen.com,which is free, but there are others too. I just decide in advance what the maximum I want to pay for an item is and send it to Gixen. Their software follows the auction and won't put your bid in until the last few seconds, and only at the minimum amount needed to win it. I have never lost an item unless the bidding was more than I wanted to pay.
Some people think sniper services are cheating, but it's part of how the game is played.
Make sure you check out the return policy of the seller before you bid.
If I'm just buying something, not bidding, I check out the price on Amazon as well as ebay. Sometimes Amazon is cheaper and I know its return policy.
For either, you should be aware that there's a big market in counterfeit bike parts. I am cautious if a new item seems priced unrealistically cheaply, or if it's coming from China. Maybe less so for electronics like Garmins than for things like chains or cassettes, but I don't know.
BTW I use a Garmin 310xt for swimming (count & time laps) and running (mostly HR right now, but also time & distance). I have an Garmin Edge 510 bike computer which is easier to see on the bike, but it was a free promotion I got when I bought my PowerTap.
There is a lot of annoying button pushing during a race. The multisport function on the 310 only displays total tima and total distance, and the distance is misleading because it includes a value for the swim distance which is inaccurate unless you take it off your wrist and put it in your swimcap.
Maybe the 910 or 920 has a more user-friendly multisport function, I don't know.
Have a good weekend everyone.

Deb
2016-01-31 12:00 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Hey All,

I'm hoping that you are still open. If so, I'd like to join in.

I'm Dave. Married 30 years, 1 child and just turned 50 at the end of December. I'm not overweight, but I AM coming off the couch as a first timer. I have all the gear needed, just lacking the self-discipline. I live on a farm and am here 24/7, so I have all the time in the world to train, just no gym and nobody to train with, so I suppose that's why I'm here.

If you have room for a new old guy, I'd be grateful.

Cheers!

Dave

2016-01-31 12:20 PM
in reply to: DaveDoesLife

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by DaveDoesLife

Hey All,

I'm Dave. Married 30 years, 1 child and just turned 50 at the end of December. I'm not overweight, but I AM coming off the couch as a first timer. I have all the gear needed, just lacking the self-discipline. I live on a farm and am here 24/7, so I have all the time in the world to train, just no gym and nobody to train with, so I suppose that's why I'm here.

Cheers!

Dave

Hi Dave:

You'll fit right in here and we're glad to have you join. We've really got a terrific group on this forum with lots of experienced folks willing to share their insights and observations.

Enjoy your triathlon journey. There is much to learn but that's half the fun! It's a wonderful experience to transform your lifestyle with swim, bike, run. Heck, at 50 you're still a kid!

Welcome to the group. Let us know how we can help. Post up your questions and observations and I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback.

Best,

Steve
2016-01-31 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

So I tried my first run yesterday morning using the Maffetone HR method.  A few observations:

1. I figured at my normally slow running pace, I wouldn't have too much trouble keeping under 128 bpm.  I was wrong (really wrong!).
2. Even at my new, even slower running pace my HR still jumps to the low 130's after about 30 seconds or so, but... 
3. My HR drops back down to the high 110's pretty quickly, so I'm still basically doing the run/walk that I had been, it's just that the intervals are shorter than the 2/2 I was using before.
4. Was it a little frustrating/annoying to be constantly stopping and starting?  Yes.  Will I stick with this?  Yes, and here's why.  My "A" race isn't until August 22 and I am determined to get there injury-free and well-trained.  And if that means that for now I have to run/walk at a very slow pace, then that's what I'm going to do.  I'm trying to focus on the longer term.

Interesting tidbit - I did a run last Sunday with the exact same miles (4.24) using a 2/2 run/walk and my overall pace for that run was only 6 seconds per mile faster than the run yesterday.  Granted, conditions were a little different between the 2 runs (different locations and I wasn't paying attention to my HR last week), but I was surprised that the overall paces were so similar. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Janet

2016-01-31 1:51 PM

Hi,

I am a 63 year old Vermonter looking to do my 3rd sprint this summer. I have been running for about 10 years, competing in a few half marathons and one full marathon, and planning to do several half marathons in May and June this year. I run (slowly) year round with a running group, including through the (very long and cold) Vermont winters. I recently got a Cannondale road bike complete with clip in pedals to replace my old hybrid, so I am hoping to amp up my biking.

Anyway, I would love to join your group.

Thanks,

Ellen
2016-01-31 2:10 PM

Hello, call me Kat, please. I am 64, turning 65 this year. I have been toying with the idea of getting into tri's for the last year or so. I think it's time to actually commit to it. I hope you will accept me into your group. I need your wisdom experience and butt-kicking experience. Currently I am 20lbs overweight and only running a slow mile (4 - 5 mph), really a walk.
I so admire all of you, I hope to be part of your group.
2016-01-31 2:22 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Hi all,

First things first: Welcome, Dave, glad to have you with us, even though you barely meet the minimum age requirement.

Janet - thanks for posting your observations re: your experience beginning the Maffetone method. I'm thinking that the run/walk would be very frustrating for me at the outset as well.

I've had a surprisingly fun training weekend. Yesterday, I joined my first indoor cycling class at the LBS. We had ten riders on Wahoo trainers and the Perfpro app was used to track us. The coach had connected to the live feed from the Cyclocross race in Belgium, so we watched those races during the 90 minute trainer sessions. Fun to see the cyclocross racers dealing with the incredibly muddy conditions.

The theme of the Saturday workouts is "Rise and Climb", so there were several long climbs as well as a few 30-60 second elevated efforts during the ride. It was helpful to me to see all of our class riders' cadence,watts, resistance percentages, etc superimposed on the screen.

The effort didn't feel too bad during the ride, but I was tired at the end of the session. Looking forward to doing a 20min threshold test later this week to get a better idea of my initial bike fitness. The classes run for 10 weeks. I intend to supplement the classes with 2 other trainer rides/week with the goal of getting stronger before the outdoor season.

Finally, with temps in the high 40's, several of us did an outdoor ride after our morning Tri club swim. Last year at this time, we were hip deep in snow, so it was a real treat to hit the road today.

Happy Training,

Dave

Edited to add: Welcome to Ellen and Kat!

Edited by DJP_19 2016-01-31 2:26 PM

2016-01-31 2:30 PM
in reply to: ellenbwolfson

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Nice choice of ride, Ellen. I'm riding a well use Cannondale roadie with clip on aerobars myself.
2016-01-31 2:43 PM
in reply to: #5158550

How do I join the group?
2016-01-31 3:08 PM
in reply to: kashart06

User image

Regular
Originally posted by kashart06

Hello, call me Kat, please. I am 64, turning 65 this year. I have been toying with the idea of getting into tri's for the last year or so. I think it's time to actually commit to it. I hope you will accept me into your group. I need your wisdom experience and butt-kicking experience. Currently I am 20lbs overweight and only running a slow mile (4 - 5 mph), really a walk.
I so admire all of you, I hope to be part of your group.

Kat--glad to have you in the group. You'll find some great mentoring here. And we have some strong women triathletes participating on our forum so they might be able to offer additional insights. Training and competing in triathlons is pretty fun. I was a runner for years: B.O.R.I.N.G. Nothing against running as I was a decent recreational runner...it's just that after you pound out the same routes over and over....well, some of the excitement begins to fade.

With triathlon, you're constantly learning and there are three sports to master. Who has time to get bored?

In my mind there are three basic things to remember as you start:

1) Set attainable goals based on your athletic/sport history. It's very common for people over-shoot and then they can't stick with it.
2) Get a training plan that aligns with the time you have available for training. There are lots of plans on this site.
3) Consistency, consistency, consistency

Welcome to the group. Let us know how we can help.

Steve
2016-01-31 3:11 PM
in reply to: ellenbwolfson

User image

Regular
Originally posted by ellenbwolfson

Hi,

I am a 63 year old Vermonter looking to do my 3rd sprint this summer. I have been running for about 10 years, competing in a few half marathons and one full marathon, and planning to do several half marathons in May and June this year. I run (slowly) year round with a running group, including through the (very long and cold) Vermont winters. I recently got a Cannondale road bike complete with clip in pedals to replace my old hybrid, so I am hoping to amp up my biking.

Anyway, I would love to join your group.

Thanks,

Ellen

Hi Ellen:

We would be glad to have you in our group. I think you'll find your discipline in training for half marathons will set you up quite well to start triathlons. I don't know your swim background, but for some reason there are lots of runners but not many with swim experience. If you've got that, you're way ahead of the game.

Let us know how we can help or any questions that you have.

Best,

Steve
2016-01-31 3:18 PM
in reply to: greisman

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
OK, I did the LT test today. My average HR for the 20 minutes was 168 with a peak of 186. So that puts my Z2 between 142 and 149...sound about right?

Steve, I got the Run Less Run Faster book yesterday and started reading it. So far it looks like they recommend running by pace and not the HR.

2016-01-31 3:18 PM
in reply to: greisman

User image

Regular
We would be glad to have you participate in our group. I sent you PM to your account with some detail.

Steve
2016-01-31 4:46 PM
in reply to: DaveDoesLife

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DaveDoesLife

Hey All,

Cheers!

Dave

Hey Dave!

Welcome to the group.  We have a good group of people that are more than willing to answer questions and as a "first timer" I imagine you have a couple so fire away!

2016-01-31 5:11 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by CL001 I know this is probably a "depends" answer...but...how long would you expect the Maffetone or another aerobic training method to begin to show results? Not sure if this morning was a fluke, but it was definitely a better run at my reduced HR. My first try at keeping my HR between 140-150 was very hard to do and my average HR for the run ended up being 154. I walked several times and just had a hard time keeping it below 154 let alone under 150. Second run was a little better but a lot of walk breaks of what seemed like 20-30 seconds or more. This morning my average was 145 and my peak HR was 152 (which was a slight hill). I only went above 150 3 times and literally walked 3 or less steps before my HR was back under 150. The whole run felt much better and the pace (most of the time) didn't feel unmercifully slow. So, did I just have a good day or should the exercise HR drop pretty quick? I'm still skeptical I can get down to my Maffetone HR of 104-114, but I'm going to try.

Hey Chris.

There isn't really a set answer as to how long it takes to begin to see results while using ANY training method, let alone an aerobic focused plan or Maffetone.  My personal experience and observations from working with other athletes over the years is that it typically takes a few weeks to perhaps months to begin to see repeatable quantifiable results from a targeted aerobic base plan.  Once the aerobic base is built (actually even before it is fully in place) speed can be increased relatively quickly - in just a few weeks.

I doubt that just a couple runs at the reduced Z2 pace has made a significant, noticeable difference.  More likely it was just a good day.  One thing to remember is that running at a lower Z2 pace is a bit different for most people and it may take a few runs for the "awkwardness" to go away.  As you complete more and more runs at the reduced pace it will feel more natural.

Edited by k9car363 2016-01-31 5:13 PM
2016-01-31 5:43 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

So I tried my first run yesterday morning using the Maffetone HR method.  A few observations:

1. I figured at my normally slow running pace, I wouldn't have too much trouble keeping under 128 bpm.  I was wrong (really wrong!).
2. Even at my new, even slower running pace my HR still jumps to the low 130's after about 30 seconds or so, but... 
3. My HR drops back down to the high 110's pretty quickly, so I'm still basically doing the run/walk that I had been, it's just that the intervals are shorter than the 2/2 I was using before.
4. Was it a little frustrating/annoying to be constantly stopping and starting?  Yes.  Will I stick with this?  Yes, and here's why.  My "A" race isn't until August 22 and I am determined to get there injury-free and well-trained.  And if that means that for now I have to run/walk at a very slow pace, then that's what I'm going to do.  I'm trying to focus on the longer term.

Interesting tidbit - I did a run last Sunday with the exact same miles (4.24) using a 2/2 run/walk and my overall pace for that run was only 6 seconds per mile faster than the run yesterday.  Granted, conditions were a little different between the 2 runs (different locations and I wasn't paying attention to my HR last week), but I was surprised that the overall paces were so similar. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Janet

Hey Janet,

It wasn't completely clear to me if your HR is jumping before you are warmed-up or after you are warmed-up and you begin to run, so a couple comments addressing both situations -

It isn't uncommon for HR to rapidly rise if you aren't fully warmed up.  It will come back down as your body gets warmed up or obviously if you reduce the effort.  People that experience this often don't notice the phenomenon because they simply aren't paying particularly close attention to their HR until they begin to use a method that requires they keep their HR strictly below a certain number.  My suggestion would be to easy walk 5', the brisk walk 5', then easy jog 5'.  THEN begin your workout.  I suspect you will not see the dramatic spike in your HR.

On the other hand, if you are fully warm-up and your HR quickly spikes with effort, that would imply your aerobic engine is not very well developed and you are quickly going anaerobic which is a good indicator you need to work on the aerobic base with low HR efforts (as you are doing!).

As your body becomes more proficient at utilizing fat for fuel, in 4-8 weeks your should begin to see your pace begin to get faster at the same HR.  In the meantime, as you complete more runs, you will get a sense of the "rhythm" of the run to maintain the lower HR, i.e.run at 'x' pace for 'x' minutes, then walk for 'x' minutes or seconds, then repeat.

If/when it gets frustrating, just remember that 6-time Ironman World Champion used this very method to build his fat burning aerobic engine, and he continues to use this method to this day to further build his aerobic base.  Mark runs at a sub 6:00/mile pace during his Ironman marathon.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17577 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open