General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help or Hurt - Lifting? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-13 2:05 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Help or Hurt - Lifting?
Heyya,

I swim competitively year round and train for triathlons in the summer. I have been doing lifting to supplement my swimming (sprint freestyle) and have gained a significant amount of muscle. As my triathlon season approaches, will lifting help or hurt my endurance?

I mostly do free weight workouts with roughly 12 sets per muscle group and 6-10 reps per set (occasionally I will max out and do 8 sets of 1-2 reps). I am worried that I can't have one without the other. That I cannot improve my endurance and speed in triathlons while maintaining my strength and size for sprinting. I want to be the best I can for triathlons, doing Olympic and sprint distances mostly, but also want to maintain my current standing in swimming for my college season in the fall.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

-Zach

2016-03-13 2:47 PM
in reply to: TheNewBlood

User image

Subject: RE: Help or Hurt - Lifting?

Yeah, it's hard to say for sure without knowing more details, but I would say that that amount of lifting is probably not going to be beneficial in terms of triathlon performance. 

The way I'd set up my weight training is about 5 sets of 4-8 reps in a strength building phase, which happens in triathlon base training and then later on as the triathlon training progresses scale back to 3 sets of 8-12 reps. In the strength building phase I'd have 2 or even 3 sessions a week, whereas in the maintenance phase one session is enough. So not a lot at all, it's all about just maintaining and focusing on swimming, biking and running. 

I would try to periodize your strength training more, you will regain your previous strength pretty quickly once you get into that phase if you have just done some sort of maintenance. Size changes will probably take just a little longer, but it's completely doable as well. 

2016-03-13 6:04 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by TheNewBlood

Heyya,

I swim competitively year round and train for triathlons in the summer. I have been doing lifting to supplement my swimming (sprint freestyle) and have gained a significant amount of muscle. As my triathlon season approaches, will lifting help or hurt my endurance?

I mostly do free weight workouts with roughly 12 sets per muscle group and 6-10 reps per set (occasionally I will max out and do 8 sets of 1-2 reps). I am worried that I can't have one without the other. That I cannot improve my endurance and speed in triathlons while maintaining my strength and size for sprinting. I want to be the best I can for triathlons, doing Olympic and sprint distances mostly, but also want to maintain my current standing in swimming for my college season in the fall.

-Zach

Zach, this continues to pop up and it's often challenged. Why? Because muscle and extra of it is looked upon as "uneccesary" in the endurance world.
I came from a bodybuilding and sport background, but with wayy more muscle than triathlon calls for. I continue in this journey refusing to dip below 190-195 of muscle. It is NOT easy. It does hinder progress as far as momentum goes, in that you'll have to use certain days to hit the weights vs. extra running etc etc. Sometimes residual soreness will interfere with muscular endurance, BUT BUT BUT, with diligence and discipline it IS possible to do this with above average muscle. Everything has to be on point. How old are you? What's a significant amount of muscle? (i.e. where'd you start from - ht and weight, and where are you know? and was it all lean mass?) You said you swim collegiate, what has your coach said about this???
*One tip: If you're trying to maintain recovery and train for tri's and swim, going so heavy to failure at all, let alone in a high weight/low rep range, not the best idea. Too damaging to muscle and tendons when they end up needed REST for recovery. I really don't go higher than 80-85%max for the most part. And never usually lower than 10 reps on any set. Mostly because I have years of base, but nonetheless, low rep high weight going to have way more DOMS to deal with - and THAT WILL inhibit endurance work
2016-03-13 10:53 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by TheNewBlood

Heyya,

-Zach

What's yoru current standing in swimming? Who do you swim for? What are your goals in collegiate swimming? You're only 22 once...now is the time to make the most of pure strength, power & speed. The older you get the less opportunity you'll have to get the most out of pure strenght oriented performance. the difference between a 1 minute all out effort and a FAST sprint is still 60x longer for the sprint. Totally different physiologic requirements.

If I were you I'd prioritize fall swimming season, consulting with your S&C coach to periodize off-season swim training while not falling behind your peers/competition and just have fun doing triathlons. Lifting won't "hurt" your endurance but it will make you slower. At your chosen pace you can Tri for an hour to three easily. You'll carry a little extra weight from the sprint free/lifting work you're doing. But you're young, and your body will not complain about carrying the extra weight.

When you graduate, most likely you'll no longer want to prioritize sprint swimming...even if you continue in masters you'll have a big competitive advantage over many. You've got a lifetime ot improve your endurance performance but your window for sprint performance is closing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help or Hurt - Lifting? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Run First then Lift weights vs Lift Weights first then run

Started by fireplug30
Views: 2639 Posts: 15

2011-09-30 8:24 AM xine2kgts

Run then lift or lift then run? Pages: 1 2

Started by svea
Views: 14222 Posts: 36

2008-12-18 11:53 PM matula

To lift or not to lift... Pages: 1 2

Started by IronTotters
Views: 2659 Posts: 47

2008-08-19 6:48 AM Daremo

Will 1/2 Ironman Training Hurt or Help Sprints

Started by rbalazs
Views: 1383 Posts: 10

2007-01-12 5:35 PM Nob

Help! My butt hurts

Started by geekball2
Views: 1749 Posts: 14

2006-12-12 10:19 PM chile7473
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Varicose veins plague an estimated 20% of our population and those who are fit and active are unfortunately not immune. These tortuous veins are early manifestations of chronic venous disease.

date : May 18, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
I've just got back in the pool from a 2 week break and my triceps are killing me the whole time I am swimming. Wondering if someone has any ideas or tips to correct?
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Bicep Curl-Incline Bench, Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 22, 2006
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : May 30, 2005
author : tmwelshy
comments : 6
I’m only slightly thick in the head, but there is a gremlin-ish energy in the air as I prepare for my run. It occurs to me that this is not gonna be a comfortable 8 miles. This is gonna hurt.