General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which tri?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-14 2:11 PM

Subject: Which tri?!
Have any of you done the Lake Zurich, il tri? What did you think? I want to do a sprint and then an Olympic length later in the summer (possibly two sprints depending on how it goes.)

2016-03-14 2:22 PM
in reply to: trishmk23

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Which tri?!
I thought it was closed, but maybe it was Crystal Lake or some other lake...? (too many lakes in Chicago area!! )
Anyways, I just looked it up and am so tempted... I think I may sign up as a practice before my very first big Olympic event (Chicago Triathlon).

What I can say: local events are really cool, fun, and friendly. I did Glenview tri last year and I had a blast (it was my first triathlon). Also, the area is so beautiful you will enjoy it: running with a nature around is very nice experience
2016-03-14 2:37 PM
in reply to: #5171966

Closed?! I hope not! I am aiming for the Chicago Olympic too. But I want to do a sprint first since this is my first time. I'm hoping the Chicago will let me sign up for sprint and then upgrade depending on how the first sprint goes.

What about Batavia?
2016-03-14 2:44 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
No no, don't worry, I just checked and it is open. It must be something different that got closed...
Why don't you try a local sprint - something nice and fairly cheap, just to get an idea of triathlon, sign up for Lake Zurich to get a sense of Olympic, then you will be very well prepared for Chicago one
You need to check the rules for Chicago Tri, because I *think* they don't do upgrades - but please double check, don't want to give you wrong information.
Do you live in Chicago? How far with your training are you?
2016-03-14 3:01 PM

Master
Northern IL

The one by 3Disciplines is the one that closed. Lake In The Hills (LITH) had a change in race directors and ownership last year which gave things a little scare, but did go on and seems to still be happening this year too.. Wauconda Triathlon does have both distances. I haven't done Lake Zurich. Reports of it have seemed, well, ok I guess. The other two I have done a couple times and like them. They will have very regular small rolling hills on them, so it won't be quite so flat like down in Chicago.

Races may or may not allow you to switch distances. Some might, but think more say no. At least what I'm familiar with. You would have to sign up all over again in the new choice and lose the cost of the first choice. Some might do that, but you really want to check and make sure you can beforehand. If you don't find something saying that clearly, then it would be safer to assume you can't. Contacting the race should help clear this up too.

2016-03-14 3:01 PM
in reply to: #5171984

Thank you! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and sign up! And wait to hear from Chicago to see what they think.

Yeah, I live in Chicago. Right now with training I've just been running as much as I can. For distance and trying to get my tone down. I'm pretty good at the bike seeing as how that's how I've commuted for about 4 years now. I got my Liv Avail a few months ago and and starting to practice with the clip in peddles and distance on that. I have a 4 day race in the beginning of April to practice racing in a group. And as far as swim I've been doing a fluid running class and when I get back into town a friend of mine is going to teach me proper technique. I want to start bricks ASAP.

I'm battling some sort of lung issue so breathing has been a task but I'm working on it!

How about you? Are you in Chicago? Will this be your first? How's training?

2016-03-14 3:03 PM
in reply to: #5171993

I think I was leaning toward Lake Zurich because I think I remember it saying it was relatively flat. And also the time I'll have in between races for recovery and training.
2016-03-14 3:03 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by brigby1

The one by 3Disciplines is the one that closed. Lake In The Hills (LITH) had a change in race directors and ownership last year which gave things a little scare, but did go on and seems to still be happening this year too.. Wauconda Triathlon does have both distances. I haven't done Lake Zurich. Reports of it have seemed, well, ok I guess. The other two I have done a couple times and like them. They will have very regular small rolling hills on them, so it won't be quite so flat like down in Chicago.

Races may or may not allow you to switch distances. Some might, but think more say no. At least what I'm familiar with. You would have to sign up all over again in the new choice and lose the cost of the first choice. Some might do that, but you really want to check and make sure you can beforehand. If you don't find something saying that clearly, then it would be safer to assume you can't. Contacting the race should help clear this up too.

Yes - I was talking about # Disciplines one in Crystal Lake, thank you
2016-03-14 3:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by trishmk23 I think I was leaning toward Lake Zurich because I think I remember it saying it was relatively flat. And also the time I'll have in between races for recovery and training.

Have you ridden much outside of the city? It's still flat in general, but downtown gets really pancake flat. Mostly, there aren't any real notable climbs. Just that you'll be going up and down fairly brief, but rather frequent. I've been quick & strong enough around to just big ring everything, but most people do need to switch rings up front (for one example, I guess). If you aren't used to this or don't know it's coming then it can be a little bit of a surprise. A friend of mine who is also a solid rider noted that when he rode out this way as compared to downtown or the lakefront trail. I'm not that far from any of these courses out this way.

2016-03-14 3:25 PM
in reply to: #5171994

I rode in Ohio for a little bit. Flat there as well. And in Chicago, yeah just the trail and around the city. I'm more worried about running the hills than biking.
2016-03-14 3:26 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by trishmk23

Thank you! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and sign up! And wait to hear from Chicago to see what they think.

Yeah, I live in Chicago. Right now with training I've just been running as much as I can. For distance and trying to get my tone down. I'm pretty good at the bike seeing as how that's how I've commuted for about 4 years now. I got my Liv Avail a few months ago and and starting to practice with the clip in peddles and distance on that. I have a 4 day race in the beginning of April to practice racing in a group. And as far as swim I've been doing a fluid running class and when I get back into town a friend of mine is going to teach me proper technique. I want to start bricks ASAP.

I'm battling some sort of lung issue so breathing has been a task but I'm working on it!

How about you? Are you in Chicago? Will this be your first? How's training?

I did three sprint triathlons last year, including Chicago triathlon - which is a great event. This year it will be my first Olympic distance. I've been doing fine with biking and running (so far), I am working on swimming right now. I use the following plan for swimming and it works great:
http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html
I will be also coming to the Open Water Swim Chicago meetups (every Saturday at sunrise) to get some open water experience.

I live in Chicago, in O'Hare area.

2016-03-14 3:27 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by trishmk23 I think I was leaning toward Lake Zurich because I think I remember it saying it was relatively flat. And also the time I'll have in between races for recovery and training.

Have you ridden much outside of the city? It's still flat in general, but downtown gets really pancake flat. Mostly, there aren't any real notable climbs. Just that you'll be going up and down fairly brief, but rather frequent. I've been quick & strong enough around to just big ring everything, but most people do need to switch rings up front (for one example, I guess). If you aren't used to this or don't know it's coming then it can be a little bit of a surprise. A friend of mine who is also a solid rider noted that when he rode out this way as compared to downtown or the lakefront trail. I'm not that far from any of these courses out this way.

I am not experienced biker, so this may sound funny for you, but I never thought Lake Shore Drive was so "hilly" until I had to ride.... It was like up and down all the time..... But then I'm pretty sure that's still considered flat comparing to the races you're talking about
2016-03-14 3:34 PM
in reply to: #5171998

Yeah, Mary, the trail has some ups and downs and some curves too. I sort of think their more like bumps compared to something like an overpass or something.

Also, sorry everyone, I don't know how or if I can from the app to do the "previously posted by" thing to show what I am responding to. Bare with me ??
2016-03-14 3:35 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by trishmk23

Yeah, Mary, the trail has some ups and downs and some curves too. I sort of think their more like bumps compared to something like an overpass or something.

Also, sorry everyone, I don't know how or if I can from the app to do the "previously posted by" thing to show what I am responding to. Bare with me ??

Yea, you're fine. It's just three of us in this discussion, so we'll manage
2016-03-14 3:59 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83

I am not experienced biker, so this may sound funny for you, but I never thought Lake Shore Drive was so "hilly" until I had to ride.... It was like up and down all the time..... But then I'm pretty sure that's still considered flat comparing to the races you're talking about

Lake Shore Drive with the overpasses might actually starting getting into what I thought with the other courses. Good enough to get some idea though I've never ridden it to say just how much, only driven. Thinking these other courses may be a little more still. None of this is really meant to demean or make fun of anyone, just to bring some awareness in as some people just don't have the experience yet to have seen how different things can feel. My friend sure saw it only coming out here. All of us would see it more still going over to Galena tri or getting into southern Wisconsin. Well, on courses not based out of Pleasant Prairie. That's supposed to be a good race too. Just a bit expensive, imo.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which tri?! Rss Feed